• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to give a Big NOD To RoboCop! Throwback to what gaming use to be!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
ROBOCOP unchecks all the boxes that have become standard with a ton of big name publishers

-Woke Identity politics= NOPE
-Shoving DLC Down your throat= NOPE (there is only a few available)
-A story that focuses on inclusion and Girl bosses with representation=NOPE
-Boring slow story elements that slow down the game for a garbled mess of a story=NOPE

So what does it have?
-Over the top Story that is simplified with insane cyberpunk characters that clearly represent an evil enemy
-The story is there but takes a backseat to the gameplay. Tight violent just fun shooting gameplay that throws in vareity of guns and an upgrade system. It puts FUN about all else.
-In Performance mode on PS5 or 60fps+ mode on pc the gameplay is smooth and vicious. It never gets old exploding a baddies head with a rain of bullets or blowing somebody's hand off. Gameplay is the core focus of this game

I just love a game that takes a concept and executes it well. It's hard not to have fun with this game. I commend this game!

macho-man-wwf.gif

digdug2

After reading nothing but great things, I got it on PS5 today because it's on sale. I have only played through the first level, but there is a good bit of framerate slowdown and graphical artefacts and I find that to be somewhat disappointing. But I'll keep playing it, and hopefully it will keep getting better.

Gamer79

After reading nothing but great things, I got it on PS5 today because it's on sale. I have only played through the first level, but there is a good bit of framerate slowdown and graphical artefacts and I find that to be somewhat disappointing. But I'll keep playing it, and hopefully it will keep getting better.
Play it in performance mode. The quality mode isn't that much better for the framerate.

Are you playing at 4k or 1080p , and what mode. Don't know if resolution matters but I only have 1080p (figured it downsampled from 4k) and haven't had any hitching or fps issues om ps5. Game is amazing!

peish

Heard good stuff about graphic and gunplay, it does seem on the slower side of traversal mechanics

Waiting for game pass edition

ToadMan

Performance mode helps and looks decent enough.

They had fps problems with all versions but clearly not fixed on PS5 yet - especially in quality mode.

ToadMan

Yeah this is a good game that got swamped by all the other great stuff at the end of last year.

I played the first several hours with a grin on my face - just great fan service all round.

Probably Alien Isolation was the last game I played to pay homage to a movie this well. I haven't tried the terminator game but its on the radar now.

IAmRei

Yeah this is a good game that got swamped by all the other great stuff at the end of last year.

I played the first several hours with a grin on my face - just great fan service all round.

Probably Alien Isolation was the last game I played to pay homage to a movie this well. I haven't tried the terminator game but its on the radar now.
I cant play isolation, xenos always scary for me. Marine is where i can still enjoy although not many will agree, at least i van shoot :')) but terminator and robocop, these two also under my radar again. I heard last terminator(?) Is okay. Havent try it. Still busy with many rpg and racing lately.

Old series always reminds me to what good entertainment are. I can only dwell in the past these time because certain way of thinking bugs me a lot in old franchise revival lately.

Now if there is any good animated series game such as thunder cats, he-man, or silverhawk, i will be surely happy. Although only if it good...

consoul

Yeah, right on OP.
Robocop really surprised me with how damn good it was. Totally understood what made the movies good and served up more.

Vick

Yep, felt like literally going back in time.

You have RoboCop himself, while discussing artistic integrity during a sidequest, saying: "We do not need to bow to outside pressure". This alone deserves support.

My true RoboCop 3. Piotr Łatocha is just that great with these games, loved his Terminator: Resistance even more.

Some screens from PS5 Performance:

robocop_roguecity_2021nilp.png

robocop_roguecity_2020kc6o.png

robocop_roguecity_202u7efe.png

robocop_roguecity_202fceew.png

robocop_roguecity_202owd42.png

robocop_roguecity_202b7cvj.png

robocop_roguecity_20237ihj.png

robocop_roguecity_202blckq.png

robocop_roguecity_202fufjp.png

StereoVsn

I got the game on my wishlist. Heck, I bought their Terminator game, played for a few hours and haven’t gotten back into it. That’s despite it being good.

Too many great games coming out. Still have W40K Rogue Trader, Infinite Wealth to play and FFVII R is coming out soon.

Hmm, maybe Robocop can be a palette cleanser after all the big RPGs, kind of what I do with racing games 😁.

You know it's games like this, story based, single-player, fps games, that we need more of. They really tampered off in gen8, after the explosion that was gen6 and gen7.

Really what other games in the genre, from Gen 8 or 9 , have we had outside of meto exodus, Prey (awesome games), and atomic heart? Far cry, and borderlands 3 but that is kinda different being open world/rpg.

This fills a void in the market.whivh it did in style.
There is too many voids right now as publishers greed pushes for gaas, which in turn makes gamers like each with money buying less or getting retro games 2nd hand.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Yep, felt like literally going back in time.

You have RoboCop himself, while discussing artistic integrity during a sidequest, saying: "We do not need to bow to outside pressure". This alone deserves support.

My true RoboCop 3. Piotr Łatocha is just that great with these games, loved his Terminator: Resistance even more.

Some screens from PS5 Performance:

robocop_roguecity_2021nilp.png

robocop_roguecity_2020kc6o.png

robocop_roguecity_202u7efe.png

robocop_roguecity_202fceew.png

robocop_roguecity_202owd42.png

robocop_roguecity_202b7cvj.png

robocop_roguecity_20237ihj.png

robocop_roguecity_202blckq.png

robocop_roguecity_202fufjp.png
Looks insane for performance mode. Might be the first UE5 game to give me hope about the future of the engine.

theHFIC

Definitely will check it out once it hits the 10-15$ price point. Looks like one of those games that will be real fun to blast through and then forget about until reading about how the studio went under.

Gamer79

Cracking up at the OP being apparently unaware of what the original Robocop movie is. Reminds me of those yahoos that are somehow furious to discover that Rage Against The Machine are political.

Great game, though. That much is true.
Oh I do know. That the thing, I remember how this movie had to be edited 14 times to avoid an X rating. I was a kid when the movie came out. That is not the point. What usually happens is they take a good material and ruin it by inclusion and throwing in gay characters and really dumb story plots. It stuck to it's source and that is why I love it.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
ROBOCOP unchecks all the boxes that have become standard with a ton of big name publishers

-Woke Identity politics= NOPE
-Shoving DLC Down your throat= NOPE (there is only a few available)
-A story that focuses on inclusion and Girl bosses with representation=NOPE
-Boring slow story elements that slow down the game for a garbled mess of a story=NOPE

So what does it have?
-Over the top Story that is simplified with insane cyberpunk characters that clearly represent an evil enemy
-The story is there but takes a backseat to the gameplay. Tight violent just fun shooting gameplay that throws in vareity of guns and an upgrade system. It puts FUN about all else.
-In Performance mode on PS5 or 60fps+ mode on pc the gameplay is smooth and vicious. It never gets old exploding a baddies head with a rain of bullets or blowing somebody's hand off. Gameplay is the core focus of this game

I just love a game that takes a concept and executes it well. It's hard not to have fun with this game. I commend this game!

macho-man-wwf.gif
Great recommendation... will check after a finish somethings

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Bought it, and :
  • image quality is very, VERY soft, one of the blurriest games on the PS5
  • No HDR (and this is a 2023 game)
  • textures popping in and out/bad texture streaming constantly
  • weird pixelization during cutscenes
  • Constant, and I do mean CONSTANT FPS drops, this holds its 60 FPS target half of the time
  • character models are...amateurishly bad (besides Robo), we're talking about nightmare stuff

Besides all that, it doesn't play that well, it's all bog standard stuff where the shooting is barely OK with no real feeling to it (no matter the amount of enemy gibs flying all over the screen), the aiming is shit on consoles (no dead zone/acceleration adjustments whatsoever) making fine-aiming almost impossible, the gameplay/shooting loses its edge since the framerate shits itself 90% of the time, exploration is banal/cliche' with a myriad things to collect (ie you end up scouring every corner for little shiny things which gets boring by the end) and...yeah
All in all, this is AA game through and through, it's Teyon, I get it, it's a budget game like their previous endeavors but I don't get the praise it's receiving (especially on the technical side of things) since it feels very underdeveloped most of the times due to all the technical deficiencies which...is a shame. I'm a big Robo fan btw, it plays OK, it sounds OK and the atmosphere is good but, if you're a stickler regarding the technical side of things wait until it drops to 20€ or even 15€, it's the most 6.5/10 game i ever played, regret buying it a t 50€.

Vick

Bought it, and :
  • image quality is very, VERY soft, one of the blurriest games on the PS5
  • No HDR (and this is a 2023 game)
  • textures popping in and out/bad texture streaming constantly
  • weird pixelization during cutscenes
  • Constant, and I do mean CONSTANT FPS drops, this holds its 60 FPS target half of the time
  • character models are...amateurishly bad (besides Robo), we're talking about nightmare stuff

Besides all that, it doesn't play that well, it's all bog standard stuff where the shooting is barely OK with no real feeling to it (no matter the amount of enemy gibs flying all over the screen), the aiming is shit on consoles (no dead zone/acceleration adjustments whatsoever) making fine-aiming almost impossible, the gameplay/shooting loses its edge since the framerate shits itself 90% of the time, exploration is banal/cliche' with a myriad things to collect (ie you end up scouring every corner for little shiny things which gets boring by the end) and...yeah
All in all, this is AA game through and through, it's Teyon, I get it, it's a budget game like their previous endeavors but I don't get the praise it's receiving (especially on the technical side of things) since it feels very underdeveloped most of the times due to all the technical deficiencies which...is a shame. I'm a big Robo fan btw, it plays OK, it sounds OK and the atmosphere is good but, if you're a stickler regarding the technical side of things wait until it drops to 20€ or even 15€, it's the most 6.5/10 game i ever played, regret buying it a t 50€.
Disagree with a whole lot of this.

Plays great on my end, one of the best feeling FPS analog in hand I've played this gen with a fully upgraded full auto Auto-9 and max gore. Maybe it's your panel input latency?
Framerate does drop, but it's limited to certain chapters. Others are rock solid.
Texture pop-in, after all the problems I've read the PC version had in this regard when I actually played at lauch it was non-existent basically. Can't remember a single moment in fact where it happened, so it either got worse with patches, or it's a glitch you got, or I got somehow insanely lucky for the whole Platinum journey.

As far as the the "technical side of things", this game have the best geometry ever seen in a game before and approaches photorealism often later on, on PS5 Quality Mode is identical to the PC version maxed out, and resolution aside Performance Mode offers pretty much the same spectacle at 60fps (that it manage to hold in most chapters). Expecting more for a title with such budget and manpower is insanity imo.

Sure it's AA, but it's a honestly and competently written, old school title that never makes you roll your eyes at the authors thought process (and this is priceless), it plays fantastically (invest in Auto-9 and RoboCop upgrades, they make all the difference as you'll see), and it did an infinitely better job as a RoboCop 2 sequel than that insulting cancer of RoboCop 3.

stuminus3

Banned
Oh I do know. That the thing, I remember how this movie had to be edited 14 times to avoid an X rating. I was a kid when the movie came out. That is not the point. What usually happens is they take a good material and ruin it by inclusion and throwing in gay characters and really dumb story plots. It stuck to it's source and that is why I love it.
Yeah I don’t think you got it at all my dude. Even just the *opening scene* of Robocop is satirical political commentary on apartheid era South Africa. It’s not a shootbang movie.

Guilty_AI

Yeah I don’t think you got it at all my dude. Even just the *opening scene* of Robocop is satirical political commentary on apartheid era South Africa. It’s not a shootbang movie.
Oh please, don't compare proper political commentary with the trash-tier corporate-driven "political commentary" the blue-hairs of today like spewing and inserting onto media. Their ideological drivel is more equivalent to the religious fanaticism and mindless patriotism of the 20th century, the very type of things movies like Robocop liked satirizing.

Last edited:

stuminus3

Banned
Oh please, don't compare proper political commentary with the trash-tier corporate-driven "political commentary" the blue-hairs of today like spewing and inserting onto media. Their ideological drivel is more equivalent to the religious fanaticism and mindless patriotism of the 20th century, the very type of things movies like Robocop liked satirizing.
I did not do that.

Gamer79

Right, Let me look to Robocop for political values. There is no deep philosophical meaning here. It's a good action movie with an interesting plot. Maybe one of the best dystopian films of all time on old detroit. The movie was brutal for it's time but I a have seen worse on cable tv now. It pushed the envelope in violence and was a decent story. You could even argue this was an early Super Hero film. With that said, I do not care what any Hollywoke director cares about politically. Yes this was in the 80's and way before the woke movement but Hollyweird has been strange for decades. That is what happens when you mix a Ton of Drugs, Ton of Sex, Ton of Narrassitic people with a god complex who feel they know better than you from their high horse. Regardless of what you think of the film., The Game did plenty right.

The point is Robocop stuck to it's roots and did not allow the recent poison of Idenity politics or outside influence change what it was. Yes that is to be commended because plently of Icon shows or actors have fallen into the woke trap: Look at the new He-Man, New ThunderCats, New Transformers with a non binary member, Look at what they did to scooby doo with Velma, The Witcher was so woke the main star left the show out of disgust. It all makes me want to vomit. My point is it did not pander to the woke hive mind and stuck to what i was and it is becoming increasingly rare this day and age. More importantly it put gameplay first beyond all else.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I did not do that.
Then how is OP's praise for the game not including modern woke politics somehow related to the original movie making an apartheid commentary or
"yahoos gettin furious at discovering that Rage Against The Machine are political"?

Last edited:

stuminus3

Banned
Right, Let me look to Robocop for political values. There is no deep philosophical meaning here. It's a good action movie with an interesting plot. Maybe one of the best dystopian films of all time on old detroit.
You’re an idiot.

Then how is OP's praise for the game not including modern woke politics somehow related to the original movie making an apartheid commentary or
"yahoos gettin furious at discovering that Rage Against The Machine are political"?
Merely pointed out that Robocop is not a brainless action movie, which is what they seem to think is. Also using terms like “blue hairs” make you sound hilarious. I’m sorry, there’s just no way to take that kind of talk seriously. It makes you sound more like a raving imbecile than someone worth discussing politics with, “woke” or otherwise.

Last edited:

Vick

There is no deep philosophical meaning here.
But there is. An awful LOT of it.

Well that's a crappy video, can't find quickly clips from the RoboDoc documentary but there's alot of great and eye-opening stuff in there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom