• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The gameplay in Sony titles is good... I wish they had more of it though

Status
Not open for further replies.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This is a problem I have with a lot of the most hyped Sony releases. The gameplay, production values and visuals are all actually very good, but they're interrupted by stories I don't give a shit about. It's why I'm mostly mixed on God of War since the visuals are nice and the combat is good, but everything else is literally shit I don't care about or outright hate. The Story is not something I'm interested in, maybe the flashy cinematic fights sure but I want to play the game more. It's such a fucking pace breaker to have a fun combat sequence interrupted by some more slow cutscenes, the pacing feels bipolar. I wish GOW had a more arcade focused side mode like a colosseum where you fight against hordes of randomized enemies, now that would be amazing. Plus I'd appreciate if we could increase the fucking FOV Sony!!!

Spiderman is better in this regard since there's more side content and it's an open world, so you have more choice when it comes to progressing the story. But if you do tackle a story mission, you're going to be waiting a while before you get to the gameplay bits. The story in Spiderman is more entertaining personally so it's a bit more bearable but ultimately, I came in because I wanted to beat up newer more challenging baddies. I don't really have the patience to sit through 3 minutes of slow over the shoulder walking and cutscenes before we get to the fun bits.

I like stories in games and i like story-based games too, Undertale, Deltarune, Crosscode, OMORI, Celeste, Final Fantasy 7, Chrono Trigger, Danganronpa, Corpse Party, Ace Attorney, Persona, the list goes on. These games are known for their outstanding story and characters, and every single one of them sit upon my favorites of all time. But I feel like they strike a much better balance of Gameplay to Story. (except for the more extreme titles like Danganronpa, Corpse Party and Ace Attorney which are very story focused) People herald that 50:50 ratio but for me it should be more like 75:25. Especially since if i'm not interested in the story at all (like say, in GTA 3) the fun bits are the ones that dominate the game. Not to mention I honestly think these titles have better stories as a whole (though cutscenes are debatable, LMAO)

This is why titles like Returnal and GT7 really excite me because i wish Sony could sponsor and uplift more gameplay focused titles like that. They can make some extremely fun gameplay as shown by Spiderman but i'd rather not with all the other cinematics. People may like that stuff and if you do more power to you, I'm jealous you can find more value in that kind of stuff. But for me.... it's just frustrating

We get threads like this a lot, and some people may find it on the same level as concern trolling but this is genuinely my opinion, from having played these games on PC for a few months. I don't believe all of Sony's games are walking simulators nor do I believe they're all just graphics. This is just how I feel about them and why I'm not as keen on them as lot of other people on this board are

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
OP's gonna get it.

disgonbgud-popcorn.gif

I agree actually. Been playing GOW: Ragnarok and I swear I've watched more than I've played. I'm through two boss fights and still feel like I'm coming to grips with the gameplay as it were a tutorial level in some ways. I just haven't actually pressed a lot of buttons in 4 hours.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I agree actually. Been playing GOW: Ragnarok and I swear I've watched more than I've played. I'm through two boss fights and still feel like I'm coming to grips with the gameplay as it were a tutorial level in some ways. I just haven't actually pressed a lot of buttons in 4 hours.
Idk what GoW Ragnarok you and OP are playing...lol

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Other than Spider-Man, the ghost game, horizon, god of war, last of us and ratchet give plenty of action. They have plenty of games I don’t see them running out plus uncharted is just hanging out.

jorgejjvr

There's plenty of gameplay in Sony games

I don't get why a group of people see having effort put into the story and cutscenes as a bad thing, they only enhance the games
This might be a horrible take for some, but I found more enjoyment out of xeno 3 story, which graphically and technology wise doesn't touch a candle to gow or horizon

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think they have every incentive to continue what they're doing. Its working out extremely well for them financially and critically. Asking for an extra side mode doesn't seem too unrealistic though. Bayonetta has post game challenge modes as well.

Good luck though OP.

NfqXuxI.gif

Neff

I was at the 55 hour mark in Ragnarok before I retired it, and that was still without doing everything.

According to YouTube, there's 15 hours of cutscenes, including walk and talks while you're travelling from A to B. That still leaves 40 hours of pure fighting, exploring and puzzle solving.

Ragnarok is one of the meatiest, most hands-on 'video game' video games I've been able to sink my teeth into for a while.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This might be a horrible take for some, but I found more enjoyment out of xeno 3 story, which graphically and technology wise doesn't touch a candle to gow or horizon
I haven't played Xenoblade 3 but that's fine if a game has a better story but saying Sony games don't have enough gameplay is blasphemy

Jaybe

We agree. Posted this yesterday. Not saying they shouldn’t keep doing their GOWs and TLOUs but something more gameplay focused from the studios would be appreciated. The biggest offender is forced slow walk followed by easy puzzle. Should give us a skip or fast forward button. At least cut scenes are (should?) be skippable.

I’d like to see what the extraordinary technical talent of ND could produce if they made a game that was 100% focused on game play versus the added bloat introduced in trying to be an interactive TV Series. It won’t happen under Neil’s watch.

Dynasty8

I personally don't like the direction they've gone in...especially this year. "Over-accessibility" is a thing that exists...and it's not a good thing. The whole sense of discovery, exploration and figuring stuff out on your own has been completely watered down from recent Sony games. IMHO, these things are essential parts of the "gameplay", but GoW and Horizon seem very keen on doing it all for you.

jorgejjvr

I personally don't like the direction they've gone in...especially this year. "Over-accessibility" is a thing that exists...and it's not a good thing. The whole sense of discovery, exploration and figuring stuff out on your own has been completely watered down from recent Sony games. IMHO, these things are essential parts of the "gameplay", but GoW and Horizon seem very keen on doing it all for you.
Ragnarok it's incredibly linear, and they are constantly spoiling what you have to do next..or how to solve a puzzle...like....give me a bit, I can figure it out. How come there isn't a non accessibility setting to turn that off?

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
i wish Sony could sponsor and uplift more gameplay focused titles like that
I mean, they always had those, it's not like they only have 3 or 4 studios, which is what a lot of people seem to think.
The biggest offender is forced slow walk followed by easy puzzle. Should give us a skip or fast forward button.
this, honestly
:messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Sony games have very high completion rates like 50+% for some of there games.

I think the story focus helps with this without it I think less would finish there games

Robbinhood

Banned
1. People are obsessed with Sony, thats all of the discussion revolves around.
2. Sony games are very rare in the industry, they excel in all facets and yet people still complain, you want more GAAS, yearly garbage and 4 player coop games? or you want Crafting shite? These games should be celebrated.
3. Your op is weird, because you want more gameplay but all Sony games have tons of gameplay and their games are just as fun if not more fun than the competition. All while excelling in multiple aspects as stated above.
4. Weird that people don't make threads about yearly trash like Cod, those games have no scrutiny. Is it the sales? Sony games sell extremely well too so what is it. (edit, someone made a thread about COD, very good.)

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Now I think MGS4 is fine, loved it
but it does have really long cut-scenes.
Maybe the OP should go play that and come back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom