• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheat codes, Behind-the-scenes videos, weird modes like big head, map editors - I miss the extras that used to come with games

kicker

Banned
This might just be nostalgia for older times, but there used to be a lot of extra content developers added to games just because they were cool and allowed you to interact with the game beyond playing a main campaign.

I remember unlocking behind the scenes videos for an old Lord of the rings (I think) game, or turning on big head mode in an old crpg, or trying out max payne in first person(that one might have been a console command), or using a cheat code when I was getting bored of playing seriously just having fun with side content. Or loading screen miningames.

I've noticed a few japanese games tend to still have extras like I mentioned (DMC 5 and Tekken 7 most recently) but overall I would say the long production times, massive budgets and huge expectations on AAA games has left a lot of them without time nor energy for what amounts to fun side content.
Tekken 7 is the most recent game I've played that had some of these things. Specifically, a theater where you could create wacky outfits for different characters, a gallery with cutscenes from all previous tekken games, and some other fun things like that.

I understand the changing reality of AAA game development means that a lot of these things had to be sacrificed for bigger games with better graphics (yet very similar gameplay), but I miss them all the same

edit: looked up some compilations of bloopers and such, not all in-game but I think it's in the spirit of the thread

Last edited:

stn

I definitely miss stuff like cheat codes, unlockable costumes and characters, extra modes, etc...

Granted, some games I've been playing recently still have these features (ex. Dead Space remake, RE4 remake, etc...).

kicker

Banned
I definitely miss stuff like cheat codes, unlockable costumes and characters, extra modes, etc...

Granted, some games I've been playing recently still have these features (ex. Dead Space remake, RE4 remake, etc...).
heh. remakes just prove that the great games of the past are considered that way for more than just nostalgia.

Another recent game with these extras was Hi-Fi rush, I think.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Yeah, it's similar to streaming services all but eliminating the behind-the-scenes content when viewing a movie at home.

We just don't get those little extras anymore. No cheat codes, no behind-the-scenes dev videos. Hell, I miss game manuals and little random inserts that went with them.

As much as I like physical media, it feels more like you're buying the plastic box more than anything. Especially with day 1 patches, GaaS, and always online bullshit.

AAA games feel more like a machine to generate as much revenue as possible in order to recoup these increasingly bloated development costs and of course with the advent of internet fed patches, updates and DLC, devs are working up to the minute of release and then beyond, so they just don't have any bandwidth for that extra stuff.

It's kind of a weird time for games in that respect.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I would like dev diaries and things like that to return.

I would want to attend some internal MS meetings about Halo.

Deerock71

Yeah, they took the fun side-shit out, didn't they? We need a Conker sequel that shines a light on the "serious" video games and makers. Tap Mel Brooks for some original tunes and scenarios.

Eimran

I really miss the cheat codes in GTA. The ones in GTA V just sucked big time.

There's only a few of them and they even have time limits. FFS. Thank God there's still mods.

kicker

Banned
I would want to attend some internal MS meetings about Halo.
scared chaos GIF by South Park

I do miss valve commentaries though

ReBurn

Gold Member
Cheat codes and Easter eggs were what gave a lot of games their replayability and the silly nature made them fun longer. Most games these take themselves way too seriously to consider whether the person playing is having fun.

Best reward in THPS games was to get like a 2 min video of your skater fo choice ripping it for real on the streets and then when you finished the game with all of them, you get the 5 min Bails video, all brutal falls.

Anyone remember when Donut Drake was removed from Uncharted for being too offensive. It was so sick that Uncharted 2 even had dialogue referencing that character model so if you played the game using him the lines made were in actual context.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
That *is* one solution. But I can only emulate Ratchet and Clank so many times when all I really want is to see behind the scenes bloopers from the new games I will be playing like Starfield or FF16 or Baldurs gate 3
If you play on PC, mods are always nice, although who tf knows when FF16 will end up on PC.

Fuz

Banned
This might just be nostalgia for older times, but there used to be a lot of extra content developers added to games just because they were cool and allowed you to interact with the game beyond playing a main campaign.

I remember unlocking behind the scenes videos for an old Lord of the rings (I think) game, or turning on big head mode in an old crpg, or trying out max payne in first person(that one might have been a console command), or using a cheat code when I was getting bored of playing seriously just having fun with side content. Or loading screen miningames.

I've noticed a few japanese games tend to still have extras like I mentioned (DMC 5 and Tekken 7 most recently) but overall I would say the long production times, massive budgets and huge expectations on AAA games has left a lot of them without time nor energy for what amounts to fun side content.
Tekken 7 is the most recent game I've played that had some of these things. Specifically, a theater where you could create wacky outfits for different characters, a gallery with cutscenes from all previous tekken games, and some other fun things like that.

I understand the changing reality of AAA game development means that a lot of these things had to be sacrificed for bigger games with better graphics (yet very similar gameplay), but I miss them all the same

edit: looked up some compilations of bloopers and such

Those L.A. Noire bloopers are very weird.

Guess what?

The "people feel too entitled those days", "I don't care I just want to play", "don't like don't buy", crowd allowed publisher's to get away with every single shit they wanted in the last 15 years.

Just look at the shit show Cod and Fifa become... Those people are worst than sheep(sheep at leat eat grass for free, but those sucker's pay) they even go as far as attack anyone complaining about those bullshit practices.

Here on gaf we have a ton of those kind.

Guilty_AI

Reminds me Crosscode has some of the craziest New Game+ options. Characters will even comment on them sometimes if they're active.

Top Bottom