• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your most disappointing sequel?

GTA 4 is still the biggest disappointment.

the second biggest disappointment however...

And with 5 years of updates its hard to remember, but Destiny 2 at launch really pissed me off. Instead of building off what they created with the original Destiny, it seemed like it was made by someone that hated Destiny and they fixed a million things that weren't broken. After D2's launch they spent the next 2 years just trying to make it acceptable and having to revert so many bad changes. (remember no special weapons? remember no 6v6? weapons no longer had random rolls, in a looter shooter.)

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Halo 2/Metal Gear Solid: Don’t pull the ‘ol switcheroo and make me play as someone other than the protagonist. In the case of Halo it was just a boring slog of a game.

Sonic Adventure 2: I realized later that Sonic Adventure games simply suck. But I managed to get past SA during the Dreamcast honeymoon period, and the sequel just left me flat.

GymWolf

Too many to even remember a fraction of them and most of them were just terrible sequels but not always terrible games like mgs4 and 5 (ok 4 was also pretty bad).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Metal Gear Solid V is probably #1, I think.

Fantastic open world sandbox game. Incredibly disappointing from a plot perspective, and that's what I'm playing MGS for, the bonkers story.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Mass Effect Andromeda

O0-kMJMWvOMCuerZUlYe0JBmW4kJksMq-9YOj1jzbBU.jpg

Nuff said.

Sonic 4 episode 1...was truly hyped for it thinking it'd be a successor to Sonic 3 and Knuckles...was heavily burned by it, such a waste of the Sonic 4 name

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Lol what’s the story behind that line anyway? If I had to guess, the writers were making fun of the facial animations and somehow that line accidentally got left in.
She's kinda like the head honcho of the whole expedition to the Andromeda galaxy and at that point in the game things are still looking pretty grim after your disastrous arrival there. The intention of that scene was to show that she's under a lot of pressure and working round the clock but that writing is just so bad, and the uncanny valley facial animation combined with stiff performance by the voice actress makes it about 100 times more hilarious lol.

I'll add to the pile of:

Shadow of War
-graphics less polish
-made it feels clunky someway, somehow
-raid system was ok but idk.

Ghost Recon Brokepoint
-graphics less polish
-draw distance felt less impressive than Wildlands.
-they pulled it together somewhat and I had fun. Still want a true Wildlands sequel.

Fbh

I know people love it but probably MGSV.

Yeah the gameplay was better than ever but as someone who isn't into stealth, Metal Gear was always I franchise I liked despite the stealth focus, not because of it.
MGSV might have had the best stealth gameplay in the franchise, but to me it lacked all the other stuff which made me like the franchise.

Banned
I thought it was an excellent game. A departure from the original but that's a good thing.

I don't know why people just want the exact same things in a developers next game. I guess it's just some modern day brain rott that's set in.

I don't want the same thing, but robbing the seauel of literally any game mechanic that made the first game unique is fucked up. and they didn't replace it with anything either. the second game is just way more generic, the controls are objectively worse (input lag, super filtered analog inputs etc.) and it lost all of its style.

modern day brain rott for me is accepting dumbed down and generic shit like Evil Within 2

HAYA8U5A

Shenmue III

Was so hyped to finally get this just to end up so pissed. I could have lived with all the problems if they stuck with the fact it was originally planned as a trilogy and finished the story but nope they had to get greedy and think they could milk it for more sequels. After all that waiting for the conclusion we just got a shit game and in he same spot we were in to begin with having no conclussion. Biggest fuck you from a developer ever.

Mad Rainn Wilson GIF by T-Mobile

Most parts of Need for Speed since many years. The last one I really liked was Need for Speed: Rivals, but they had bad ones before.

TheGecko

Banned
I don't want the same thing, but robbing the seauel of literally any game mechanic that made the first game unique is fucked up. and they didn't replace it with anything either. the second game is just way more generic, the controls are objectively worse (input lag, super filtered analog inputs etc.) and it lost all of its style.

modern day brain rott for me is accepting dumbed down and generic shit like Evil Within 2
Played and felt great on PC.

Gamerguy84

Infamous 3. Just didn't click with me.

Infamous is top 10 favorite series for me. Loved original Infamous and 2. 3 just didn't work for me.

Labadal

Deus Ex: Invisible War

The biggest gaming disappointment that I can think of.

I would also say the newest Thief game, but I knew that it would be shit.

Arcania (Gothic 4), and to a lesser extent Gothic 3 were also disappointing sequels.

Such a decline in quality, that it almost makes you depressed.

Going from Final Fantasy XII to Final Fantasy XIII was also like a punch to the gut.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The Evil Within 2

they completely ruined the gameplay,
removed every gameplay element that made it unique,
the controls were laggy and clunky,
the artstyle became more generic,
and the Leveldesign was weird.
Opposite.
Completely revitalized gameplay. The game is engaging and not a chore of slow hide and seek corridors dragging or 20 hours.
Removed tedious crap mikami though is cool.
Controls are refined like a normal modern game
artstyle is amazing

Evil Within 2 goes over the first 1, leaving it out in the trash bin.
I love that game, finished it like 3 times and I couldn't finish the first one myself. OK MAYBE I NEED TO GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE :p

6p6PqpI.jpg

VdWN2yl.jpg

WrrKx3u.jpg

Forbidden West for me.
Doubled down on bloated crap, stupid leveling of everything, millions types of arrow damage and weakpoints.
Annoying combat, everyone always fucking talks, story sucks and then Alloy gets no love interest or anything yet again

Last edited:
Mass Effect 3. No contest, it absolutely ruined the IP forever and pretty much killed Bioware as far as being a reputable studio. It's the video game equivalent to the end of Lost or the last seasons of GoT. A masterclass in bad storytelling.

If expansions count as sequels, than pretty much every WoW expansion are among the worst sequels ever. Loved me some OG Wow but they had no idea where to take the game and how to evolve is and quickly ruined it completely.

Last edited:
Two of my top ones are from the same franchise, SOCOM 3 and SOCOM 4.

SOCOM 3 - We all know SOCOM II is one of the greatest MP shooters of all time. What made it amazing was tightly balanced 8v8 gameplay and all on incredible maps designed specifically for certain modes, like MP maps used to be. The creative director left Zipper after SOCOM II and the result was SOCOM 3. A buggy, shitty MP game with maps all designed to be played on every mode, and designed to be played 16v16. Just so average and so bland. It's no surprise that Zipper went on to make MAG, which had a cool concept but was just bland as fuck. The only playlists popular in SOCOM 3 were the 8v8, which trimmed the maps down in size somewhat.

SOCOM 4 - Was pretty much DOA thanks to the PSN hack, but this game was so bad it made 3 look like a masterpiece. Multiple Zipper devs have confirmed on this very forum that Sony made them implement as much CoD type mechanics as possible and it showed in the campaign and garbage ass MP. No redeeming qualities to this game whatsoever.

I'll agree with everyone listing Forbidden West. I'm only 4-5 hours in and I've not had the motivation to even load it up in weeks and don't see myself ever finishing it. Too much filler content, trash story, trash dialogue. But the dinos look cool. I'll also throw out Just Cause 3, just because JC2 was open world perfection and 3 fell way short.

Resident Evil 4.

I was so hyped for the reveal of RE 3.5. Footage is still out there online for anyone interested. Old school fixed camera angles pure survival horror with Leon Kennedy, scary ghost possessions and a mansion.

Then the whole thing got scrapped and turned into an action game that is what we now know as RE4. Thus ruining the series until RE7 and Village saved the IP from the RE4 trash action movie cheese roots.

Oh and the TLOU2, obviously.

Edit: Found the footage.

Last edited:
Resident Evil 4.

I was so hyped for the reveal of RE 3.5. Footage is still out there online for anyone interested. Old school fixed camera angles pure survival horror with Leon Kennedy, scary ghost possessions and a mansion.

Then the whole thing got scrapped and turned into an action game that is what we now know as RE4. Thus ruining the series until RE7 and Village saved the IP from the RE4 trash action movie cheese roots.

Oh and the TLOU2, obviously.

Edit: Found the footage.

The love RE4 gets baffles me to this day.

wvnative

Difficult to pick just one, but XenoSaga II is up there, awful visuals, overly convoluted combat that is also extremely exploitable, awful new voice actors...etc..

Titanfall 2 should get a mention, I know people love it and that's cool but for me, everything I thought was cool about the first game was stripped out.

Top Bottom