• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your most disappointing sequel?

Shut0wen

For me it has to be wolfinstein 2 the new colossus, i loved the first game and its expansion, stealth was decent but i liked most about the game was that the shooting had that starbreeze that was nice qnd fresh feel like in Chronicles of riddick and syndicate reboot but the sequel replaces the shooting and the feeling of the game like cod, somehow worse stealth then the first game (again first games stealth is decent but this is below average) and the map design are also terrible as well as well having consent enemy respawns due to nazi generals, playing the game at a higher difficulty is also shit because of the damage hud, you have no idea if your getting shot from behind unless your consently looking at how much armour you have because the hud wont show damage unless your below 50 health and at that point your dead because and enemy respawned behind you, its amazing how well recieved this game was, definitely a good 6 out of 10 although ill give them credit that the cutscenes and story was more entertaining then the first game, even if the dialog at time can be cringe

Id also add mgs 5 to this, although konami gets alot of stick for mgs5 not the greatest maybe the weakest story wise but even with the missing content the games story just isnt there, kojima took the money to make his own engine and make the best stealth game he could but damn did he have writers block

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Lords of Shadow 2.
MV5BMzA4MWZlZWYtNWVlZS00NTA3LWFlZDItOWVlMDYyMjA3NWUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Stealth shit alone puts the game in shit tier category.
Uninspired enemy designs.
Weaker combat.
Weaker story.
Generally bad level design.
Inconsistent graphics (Lords of Shadow was a looker at release)

P.S I know people hate Lords of Shadow as a Castlevania game, but it was as an absolute epic.

Last edited:

Emet_bp

Probably Devil May Cry 2 - almost everything was worse (a lot worse) than in the first game and MotorStorm: Apocalypse - design, driving physics and music.
Somehow GTA V was a disappointment because of the hugely simplified driving physics which completely killed the joy of driving in that game.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'll second The Evil Within 2 and throw hands with anyone who picked The New Colossus or Shadow of War (but I didn't play it until after they removed MTX and rebalanced accordingly lmao).

Crysis 2 and FEAR 2 were genericized, consolized sequels to top-tier PC FPS. A pair of vastly disappointing games. FEAR's expansion packs are far better sequels than FEAR 2, Crysis Warhead is far better than Crysis 2. I haven't played the third game in either series.
MGS V had great gameplay mechanics, but that open world was shit, and the story pacing was totally fucked by it.
The Witcher 2 dumbs down the writing, atmosphere and exploration of the first game, hugely disappointing. It doesn't dumb down dialogue exactly to the same degree as Fallout 4, but it's still a large downgrade from the first game. The combat's maligned for being too difficult, but I find that by mashing light attack, it's stupidly easy even on the hardest difficulty, to the point where I was able to turn my monitor off during almost any fight, including the first fight with Letho. I hate the map design in that game too. I don't wanna talk about it :lollipop_angry_face:
I love The Witcher 1 & 3. Two of my favorite games, sandwiched around one of my least favorite games.

Halo 2. All the mystery destroyed with that double storyline. And the gameplay felt off.

Dark Souls 2. Surely no explanation needed…

Mario Sunshine and every mainline game after Galaxy 2.

FF9 just felt so by the numbers and almost like an apology to the long-time fans.

FF8 was pretty bad too but it was pushing in a new direction, which I appreciated.

Lemmings 2/Tribes. Way too much stuff. DMA forgot the beauty of the original’s simplicity.

Dr.Morris79

xTREy7h.png

2016 was borderline 'Eh' but it ended up being a hell of a lot more 'Doom like' and fun than this utter bullshit Mario clone..

Yay! A Doom platformer with utterly shit ADHD mechanics! Hooray! Just what Doom needed

Complete trash. Bring Doom back to what it was, please. Or dont bother.

Mr Hyde

Devil May Cry 2

Loved the first one. It made you feel cool and badass but the second one made you feel like you threw your money in the ocean.

Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil up to this point was my absolute favorite franchise. No contest. Then I played 6, cried and moved on to stan for something else.

Silent Hill Downpour

It had some cool ideas and tight atmosphere but the franchise was effectively killed here. Numerous technical issues too. Konami at their lowest, whoring out their popular IPs to third rate developers just so they could save a buck.

Infamous Second son

The first two games are classics. The third game was so forgettable. You could tell Sucker Punch wanted to move on. And they did so in a grand way.

TrueLegend

Halo 2. All the mystery destroyed with that double storyline. And the gameplay felt off.

Dark Souls 2. Surely no explanation needed…

Mario Sunshine and every mainline game after Galaxy 2.

FF9 just felt so by the numbers and almost like an apology to the long-time fans.

FF8 was pretty bad too but it was pushing in a new direction, which I appreciated.

Lemmings 2/Tribes. Way too much stuff. DMA forgot the beauty of the original’s simplicity.
Bro we need to throw you off the cliff in Tekken style.

Anyway DMC2 wins this thread anyday like bruh! have you seen DMC2. Devil really cryed for that one.

Lords of Shadow 2.

Stealth shit alone puts the game in shit tier category.
Uninspired enemy designs.
Weaker combat.
Weaker story.
Generally bad level design.
Inconsistent graphics (Lords of Shadow was a looker at release)

P.S I know people hate Lords of Shadow as a Castlevania game, but it was as an absolute epic.
I'm currently playing through the first game and I'm enjoying it on the whole. But I can't stand having to replay the level over for the damn trials and some enemy types are downright annoying (goblin grenades). Though the combat system feels meaty, despite there being tonnes of moves to remember.

Amiga

Last of Us 2, has the dumbest plot devices while expecting you to take it serious.
Horizon Forbidden West for the same reason , the script was horrible, leftover interest from the first game kept me going. almost turned into a Ubisoft bloat game.
Mass Effect Andromeda also had a lame narrative.
Killzone Shadow Fall. the tight FPS action is gone and we are left wit an expensive graphics demo.
Dragon Age 2, glorified mod.

Interfectum

Hitman: Absolution - Though this game was so slammed that it lead to a Hitman renaissance so I can't be too mad.

Mortal Kombat 4 - From UMK3 to this? Jesus Christ.

Horizon: Forbidden West - Game was a slog, couldn't even bother to platinum it. Story took a massive nosedive in the last third.

Last edited:
Watch Dogs 2/3: What a great game the first one was, only the main character was a bit dull, but at least not annoying. But instead of making a more believable and nicer main character they inserted extremely annoying, stereotype characters who only exist to give us cheesy joke one liners every few seconds. Can someone rescue this franchise from Ubisoft hell? Please also take the Driver franchise with you.

TheGecko

Banned
The Evil Within 2

they completely ruined the gameplay,
removed every gameplay element that made it unique,
the controls were laggy and clunky,
the artstyle became more generic,
and the Leveldesign was weird.
I thought it was an excellent game. A departure from the original but that's a good thing.

I don't know why people just want the exact same things in a developers next game. I guess it's just some modern day brain rott that's set in.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
METAL GEAR SOLID 4

... and nothing will ever get close to it. Even played it again many years later with being older and stuff but still thought it was trash.
And mind you I used to be one of the biggest MGS fans there is. My hype for 2 and 3 was unrivaled. I can't put the blow that MGS4 gave me into words.

Close second...

RESIDENT EVIL 5

RE4 is still to this day one of my favourite games of all time and I remember being insanly disapointed by 5 - and only because of this RE6 is not listed here as I didn't expect anything after 5 in the first place.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Doom II/Doom Eternal.

Doom II took all the fun from the first one, and made stupid stuff like you have to press a stupid brazier to open a door, or yeet over a skyscraper in a perfect angle to hit the exit.

Doom Eternal did the same approach, taken all the fun from Doom 2016 and put stupid annoying jump crap and all the other trash from having fun slaying monsters.

Business

TLOU2. Part one was a super cool universe, unpretentious straightforward story with a high stakes background. It was contained, it had a beginning that set up things, a continous journey through different locations and seasons and a minimalistic non cliche ending, simple and effective. It wasn’t the most original story ever, the father son/daugther, master aprentice thing had been done a thousand times, but it works.

ND knew no restraint on the sequel, they wanted to make it all bigger and ended up with a convoluted meaningless mess. More and bigger locations while going back and forth in time and space and playable characters, more factions (the whole seraphites thing was impossible to buy), nothing more than the revenge story vs also saving humanity in Part I, more characters, old ones almost unrecognizable and adding totally forgettable new ones, all in a package that reeked of such cringe woke that one has to marvel at the lack of self awareness of the writers.

Tie between both Halo 3 and Reach. Bungie took Halo CE, one of my all time favorite games and completely revamped how the game felt and played with Halo 2 (neutered the pistol). Then they changed it even further with Halo 3. Then they made Reach with overweight spartans that could barely jump and added bloom...

SJRB

Gold Member
MGSV, no doubt.

An overwhelmingly mediocre and aggressively unrewarding game filled with half-finished storylines and gameplay mechanics, insanely bad copy-paste mission structures, terrible voice acting, shit AI, poorly executed Mother Base system and worst of all: woefully misleading trailers filled with story and gameplay elements that never made it into the final game.

The game literally shipped without a third act. It's still fucking insane that this is a thing that actually happened. This game is an affront to every MGS fan in the world.

Last edited:
Watch Dogs 2/3: What a great game the first one was, only the main character was a bit dull, but at least not annoying. But instead of making a more believable and nicer main character they inserted extremely annoying, stereotype characters who only exist to give us cheesy joke one liners every few seconds. Can someone rescue this franchise from Ubisoft hell? Please also take the Driver franchise with you.
I'd choose WD2 over part 1 any given time. 3 though..... I Agree. What a lifeless PoS that was........

MGSV, no doubt.

An overwhelmingly mediocre and aggressively unrewarding game filled with half-finished storylines and gameplay mechanics, insanely bad copy-paste mission structures, terrible voice acting, shit AI, poorly executed Mother Base system and worst of all: woefully misleading trailers filled with story and gameplay elements that never made it into the final game.

The game literally shipped without a third act. It's still fucking insane that this is a thing that actually happened. This game is an affront to every MGS fan in the world.
Yeah, it was shite wasn't it....

Top Bottom