• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best way to learn to play Baldurs Gate 3?

DosGamer

I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos for the upcoming Baldurs Gate 3 game and I am excited to play what looks to be an incredible adventure. The plethora of choices in questing, the in-depth character customization, the "bang for your buck" amount of content.. I could go on and on. It looks like it could have everything I would want in a game.

There is just one problem. I have never played a Baldurs Gate game before. Even searching YouTube hasn't led me to a source for understanding the complexity of the game. I see a lot of videos describing classes and tips, but not a general explanation of how the game actually plays. Also of note, I have never played a tabletop RPG game before. I saw at the GameStop website that Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were made for the PS4... But with the game coming out in a little over a month (PS5 here), I wonder if it is even worth trying to hunt down a copy.

Is anybody aware of a great source where I can learn the mechanics of the game and try to get a grasp for what I am doing. I would hate to make terrible decisions at the start due to general incompetence. Even a great source on YouTube that I may have missed in my searching would be helpful.

Pejo

I have never played a Baldur's Gate game, but I wish you luck in your search and playthrough, OP.

Here's a delightful gif of a bear enjoying a treat.
Ice Cream Eating GIF

Last edited:

DosGamer

I’m sure fextralife will have a bunch of beginner build guides. But really you should just play BG2.
I'm at work, so I cant check but do you think the PS store has it digitally for PS5? That might be my best bet for getting a decent footing, even if I don't get too far into it.

DosGamer

You should, because it's a great game, but not as some sort of gameplay prep for BG3. They're worlds apart gameplay wise. Better off trying DoS as long as OP has a few dozen hours to burn before BG3.
So many concepts seem foreign to me, like dice rolls and understanding movement in the game as I understand there are 2 different types.

Off subject a bit, but I never played BG either. Are the stories related in a meaningful way, or is it more similar to Final Fantasy where each game is its own universe?

read in game tips/tutorials as you play (slowly). read everything and if you forget how something works check the menu where it lets you read tips/explainations again.

also this seems to be a good place that explains how the game works... https://bg3.wiki

Off subject a bit, but I never played BG either. Are the stories related in a meaningful way, or is it more similar to Final Fantasy where each game is its own universe?
I haven't played the previous games but I don't think it's anything like Final Fantasy. I do know you don't need to have played 1-2 to enjoy 3. It's set in the same world/universe but 100 years later so it can be played without any knowledge of previous games or the lore. If you had played previous games you'd be better prepared but it's not required.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Believe 3 is over 100 years after 2 but it'll still be connected in meaningful ways. Doesn't mean you HAVE to go back and play 1 and 2 but if you're the kinda person to play old great games (I know you are) then BG holds up incredibly well. Play the enhanced editions on "normal" difficulty, not core rules, and have fun. Don't listen to nerds telling you to play core rules.

So many concepts seem foreign to me, like dice rolls and understanding movement in the game as I understand there are 2 different types.

Honestly just start playing. Everything you need to know will be explain in-game, it's not Fromsoft.

That's BG3 I mean, BG1+2 you might wanna read up if you're going to go back to those first.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I haven't played BG, but if it's like D&D it might be helpful to read some free D&D new player guides just so you understand what systems the game is trying to emulate. Can help you get a handle of character classes as well and give you an idea of what to pick.

Fools idol

Banned
If there isn't a bear reference in the OT title I'm going to riot.

Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] Grin and bear it
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] How will we bear 17,000 endings?
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] Bear of the dark urge
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] The right to bear arms
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] You'll bearly have time for anything else
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] Obsidian who? Hold my bear
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] An industry mauled by a belgian bear

Last edited:

Zheph

Just play it and once you feel confident -> restart

edit : I do recommend playing BG2 if you are fine with old games, it's such a good game but it won't play the same as 3

Last edited:

Filben

If you're familiar with turn-based (RPG) strategy games/combat there's not too much to learn. From what I've been playing two years ago, the game explains the basics.

As with these kind of games that offers you a party, it's best to have a diverse party with someone tanky, a damage dealer and someone who can heal/buff/debuff. As with Larian's other games, take your time with each encounter because the environment often gives you a plethora of options; brute-forcing your way through often only works on easier difficulties and if you outnumber your enemies. When preparing your party, watch out for synergy in regards to weapons and skills.

Try to explore the game on your own and in your own pace. You'll see plenty of options and the moment you find out something for yourself that works exceptionally well (I had these moments in XCOM, Darkest Dungeon, Divinity 2 etc) is just a great feeling!

DosGamer

I keep hearing about people that are going to spend hours upon hours on rolling and rerolling a character. Can somebody explain this? I assume it's to get the best character possible, but can you not just put the points in how you want them?

Zheph

I keep hearing about people that are going to spend hours upon hours on rolling and rerolling a character. Can somebody explain this? I assume it's to get the best character possible, but can you not just put the points in how you want them?
I haven't checked anything from 3 as I am waiting for full release but in 1 and 2, the creator engine let you roll your stats, here is a screen

rolling.png

So as you can see you have a total roll at the bottom and this number can change as you reroll and obviously you want a big number to have the best stats possible but I don't know if that's also included in 3 (likely I guess)

Not sure it will take hours but yeah it can be a bit frustrating to click reroll for ages just to get 90+

Guilty_AI

I see a lot of videos describing classes and tips, but not a general explanation of how the game actually plays.
You mean movement and stuff?

>You walk around and click on things with the mouse to prompt interactions
>In combat, you do stuff during your turns and wait for enemies to do their stuff in their turns

Buggy Loop

I think you mean that they spend hours creating the character? I don't understand the point of rerolling (?). Some old cRPG i recall had an initial stat randomizer where sometimes you had more or less if you rerolled, but I don't think that's in BG3?

EDIT : Apparently it's not in the early access ( I haven't played it so i'm just going by info on reddit) but the FAQ said it would be in the final game so oops. if they didn't change their mind, it does mean i'll probably reroll A LOT :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You can respec from early on in BG3, so you shouldn't stress too much over rolling the perfect character from the start. Also there are no random stat rolls in the character generator, unlike in BG2 where you could sit there for a half hour trying to get the best attribute score rolls.

Fools idol

Banned
You can respec from early on in BG3, so you shouldn't stress too much over rolling the perfect character from the start. Also there are no random stat rolls in the character generator, unlike in BG2 where you could sit there for a half hour trying to get the best attribute score rolls.

and thank fuck for that honestly

Metnut

Quit your job. Throw your phone out the window. Buy game. Play.

Seriously, just dig in and play and enjoy. The more you read about something the less fresh the experience will be. It’s just a (likely great)game, not rocket science.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Is BG2 a lot different than BG1?
Same engine, same mechanics. BG1 is more about exploration, BG2 is more about high level epic adventuring, and the combat options open up more by being a high level party. BG2 has better writing, more interesting party members with their own elaborate storylines, and every side quest is a proper adventure in its own right. But BG1 is cool too.

Topher

Gold Member
much improved imo but the structure is very similar
it follows directly so you can take your save from BG1 to BG2
Same engine, same mechanics. BG1 is more about exploration, BG2 is more about high level epic adventuring, and the combat options open up more by being a high level party. BG2 has better writing, more interesting party members with their own elaborate storylines, and every side quest is a proper adventure in its own right. But BG1 is cool too.
BG2 is more darker in terms of tone, (imho, I'm sure some might disagree), you actually have the companions start to have romance type options.

Good stuff. Thanks. I'm drawn to BG3 more as a Larian fan than BG, but seems like I've been missing out all these years. Will need to rectify that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
1: Avoid Fextralife ffs, support a site that actually won't abandon the game and lead to a bunch of 404s 3 months after launch: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Main_Page
2: Don't play BG2 as "practice"
3: Play BG3 Early Access for a few hours and get the 'hang of things'

amigastar

Is BG2 a lot different than BG1?
Really? I thought you would know BG2, Topher.
1: Avoid Fextralife ffs, support a site that actually won't abandon the game and lead to a bunch of 404s 3 months after launch: https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Main_Page
2: Don't play BG2 as "practice"
3: Play BG3 Early Access for a few hours and get the 'hang of things'
Thats what i've done. I've played it for 12 hours but stopped and waiting for the 1.0 version.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
If there isn't a bear reference in the OT title I'm going to riot.

Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] Grin and bear it
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] How will we bear 17,000 endings?
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] Bear of the dark urge
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] The right to bear arms
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] You'll bearly have time for anything else
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] Obsidian who? Hold my bear
Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] An industry mauled by a belgian bear
That first one is fucking gold.

As to OP, just jump in and learn as you play. You'll make some mistakes, but you can learn from those too. Take a class that looks cool and just dooooo itttt.

Gorgon

I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos for the upcoming Baldurs Gate 3 game and I am excited to play what looks to be an incredible adventure. The plethora of choices in questing, the in-depth character customization, the "bang for your buck" amount of content.. I could go on and on. It looks like it could have everything I would want in a game.

There is just one problem. I have never played a Baldurs Gate game before. Even searching YouTube hasn't led me to a source for understanding the complexity of the game. I see a lot of videos describing classes and tips, but not a general explanation of how the game actually plays. Also of note, I have never played a tabletop RPG game before. I saw at the GameStop website that Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 were made for the PS4... But with the game coming out in a little over a month (PS5 here), I wonder if it is even worth trying to hunt down a copy.

Is anybody aware of a great source where I can learn the mechanics of the game and try to get a grasp for what I am doing. I would hate to make terrible decisions at the start due to general incompetence. Even a great source on YouTube that I may have missed in my searching would be helpful.

People are making way too much of a fuss about this.

Look, you don't need to know about table-top D&D to play this. Like any other game, you start and learn as you go. There's a lot of stuff in there, how the different mechanics interact,, the builds, etc, but for a start you don't need to know it. And unlike the table-top version, a lot of it is done automatically for you. It's not any different from playing the Pillars series or the Divinity series, that don't have any table-top versions. It helps if you're familiar with this type of games, but in no way required. Everyone started somewhere at some point in videogame history. There were bazillions of RPGs long before BG1 came out. It was never a problem.

Just start on the easiest setting (story-mode or whatever they call it), dip your toes into it, and you'll be just fine. Later you can change the difficulty settings when you become better aquainted with the game and the system. Most people that played Baldur's Gate back in the day didn't know jack shit about AD&D 2nd edition either. You'll be perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If you've ever played DnD a lot of the rules are similar. During your turn you have movement, action and bonus action generally. Some of your beginning companions will also have cantrips, which are like 0 cost spells and then higher level spells, which consume a spell slot between long rests. Spells slots are important to keepan eye on because if you use them before you actually need them you will need to rest before getting another opportunity to use the spell. As you level up you'll get increases to the number of spell slots and the level at which they are cast.

A good way to learn how to play Baldur's Gate is to play Divinity Original: Sin 2. The playloop is fairly similar except in stead of action bonus action and movement, you simply have movement and action points. Certain attacks and spells require a certain amount of action points. Like in Baldur's Gate, you can also respec in Divinity once you get your ship. There is a fair amount of gameplay and getting used to fighting before you get the ship.

Another thing I would suggest is go in with the mindset of taking your time. There are a ton of hidden stuff in Divinity. I assume it's similar for BG3. Take time to learn about your characters, talk to everybody, actually read the dialogue. I don't say this only to make sure you're getting the most out the game, but sometimes you have to think creatively to solve seemingly mundane problems.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Wolfheart is one of my go to channels for BG3 since it's early access release. If you have any questions about the game hit me up I should be able to answer most of them.

You shouldn't have said this... INCOMING!

1. Do you know if you'll be able to mark multiple items in the bag (then transfer them instantly to another companion) in the full release?

2. What's stopping me from just destroying a chest and gaining its loot instead of lockpicking it?

3. Is there an easy way of seeing the health of my team mates during battle? Their portraits are VERY dark when it's not their turn and is there no quick way of easy checking who's low on HP?

4. Can you somehow know how difficult a roll is gonna be BEFORE I choose i.e. [History]?

5. Can you not buffer moves? Like, I want to go to x and when I reach x I want my character to jump (without having to wait until I reach x)

6. How much storage does the store have in the camp? Can I put quest-items in there and when NPCs require said item, it gets drawn out of the storage automatically without me having to go to the camp to get it?

7. How do I make humans NOT blind to darkness? If let's say my front melee has a torch equipped near the enemy, will my human mage from afar have solid accuracy?

8. Does the direction I'm facing have meaning? Like, do enemies hitting your back deal crit DMG or is it only based off of specific abilities like Sneak Attack?

9. For animating enemies (i.e. Cleric lv5 ability "Animate Dead") - does it matter what I resurrect? If I resurrect an enemy with 50 health or if I resurrect an enemy with 15 health?

10. I found a fishing pole... but found no place to fish :( Will there be fishing in the full game?

11. How much STR is required to carry a big rock? I had 17str once and it wasn't enough.

SORRY!

DosGamer

THe

1. Do you know if you'll be able to mark multiple items in the bag (then transfer them instantly to another companion) in the full release?

2. What's stopping me from just destroying a chest and gaining its loot instead of lockpicking it?

3. Is there an easy way of seeing the health of my team mates during battle? Their portraits are VERY dark when it's not their turn and is there no quick way of easy checking who's low on HP?

4. Can you somehow know how difficult a roll is gonna be BEFORE I choose i.e. [History]?

5. Can you not buffer moves? Like, I want to go to x and when I reach x I want my character to jump (without having to wait until I reach x)

6. How much storage does the store have in the camp? Can I put quest-items in there and when NPCs require said item, it gets drawn out of the storage automatically without me having to go to the camp to get it?

7. How do I make humans NOT blind to darkness? If let's say my front melee has a torch equipped near the enemy, will my human mage from afar have solid accuracy?

8. Does the direction I'm facing have meaning? Like, do enemies hitting your back deal crit DMG or is it only based off of specific abilities like Sneak Attack?

9. For animating enemies (i.e. Cleric lv5 ability "Animate Dead") - does it matter what I resurrect? If I resurrect an enemy with 50 health or if I resurrect an enemy with 15 health?

10. I found a fishing pole... but found no place to fish :( Will there be fishing in the full game?

11. How much STR is required to carry a big rock? I had 17str once and it wasn't enough.

SORRY!
These questions are exactly why I want to try the game. It literally seems like there are endless things to do and learn.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

SORRY!
1. Not clear but it would be nice

2. A large healthpool and the possibility of ruining the contents

3. You can hover the cursor over any friendly or enemy to check health status

4. Hovering over the option only tells you what bonuses you may have. Best to learn your strengths before attempting certain options in conversation

5. Using the bonus action "jump" does allow you to simultaneously use movement before the jump...just use your cursor to indicate at which point in your movement path you'd like to jump

6. Not sure, but I would assume not infinite.

7. There are stats to improve accuracy which might help. BLindness is a hard debuff against accuracy after all. It may not affect magic as much as an arrow, for example.

8. There are some attacks that can do more damage if done from behind. Typically in DOS2 it was only really rogues who could take advantage of backstabs.

9. I would assume the level of your magic is what matters. The stronger lvl you cast the spell at, the greater the effect/stronger your thrall should be.

10. There is fishing

11. Usually carry big rocks require mental ability, not necessarily strength...at least that's how it was in DOS2...there were things you could move with strength but typically giant heavy things required levels into telekinesis. There is the equivalent of telekinesis in BG3, I forget what it's called though.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom