• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 Passes Half a Million Reviews on Steam and 96% Are Positive

Draugoth

Gold Member
baldurs-gate-3-kiss.jpg

Larian Studios' RPG Baldur's Gate 3 is extremely popular, but just how popular is it? A milestone passed on Steam certainly paints a positive picture. We learn that the game has passed a whopping half a million verified user reviews on Steam, sitting precisely at 500,048 at the moment of this writing.

96% of them are positive, giving the game the coveted "overwhelmingly positive" review label on the platform.

The party in Baldur's Gate 3

Director of Publishing Michael Douse celebrated the achievement on X (formerly Twitter), also thanking Larian's community team.

Ty for 500,000+ Steam reviews. An insane number. I remember 9 years ago or so I used to look at games with that many reviews thinking how insane it was. Now we’ve hit that number all I can think is… thank fuck for our community team.

Game of the generation, ladies and gentlemen. I heard update 6 will come this week.
It will feature *check notes* better kisses.
Perfect moment to come back to act 3.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

One of the few games where i did a 2nd playthrough just as soon as i finished the first, usually i take long breaks, but this one i did it quickly, and even more crazy cause i enjoyed both runs equally, something that rarely happens.
It happened to me with Dark Souls, Deus Ex and New Vegas and few other games.

WitchHunter

Banned
Back to Fortnite with you! Foul beast!
Please forgive this impudent, young boy, who is lost in a forest of cluelessness. He doesn't know what he is talking about.

I wouldn't mind Original Sin 3 with a smaller scope. That way development wouldn't take as long.
No, have you seen the head honcho's head when he got the 7 awards or so? Now they go full retard. And they will sink like Crytech with their multitude of studios. Hope I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You don't value your time. Maybe because you are young, foolish, and without a properly working brain. And post these images, like that would elevate your message somehow.
Having a deep combat system with plenty of options doesn't mean it's bad, at least for me (and many others it seems). I can agree that the tutorial could be better but still, many players (with a good chunk who never played any CRPG) successfully understood how to play after a few hours. So you probably could too, right? Unless... the problem is not the game.

FireFly

Thanks to the CRITICAL HIT influencers who climaxed every 5 minutes on yt and twitch.

Now they have the money, it's time to create a battle system where you don't need a book to not die from boredom related illnesses.
Yes choosing a character and selecting an attack is such a huge amount work. We can't have any elements of strategy or basic planning intrude upon our entertainment experience.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Having a deep combat system with plenty of options doesn't mean it's bad, at least for me (and many others it seems). I can agree that the tutorial could be better but still, many players (with a good chunk who never played any CRPG) successfully understood how to play after a few hours. So you probably could too, right? Unless... the problem is not the game.
Yes choosing a character and selecting an attack is such a huge amount work. We can't have any elements of strategy or basic planning intrude upon our entertainment experience.
The problem is that you have to wait every enemy to move ONE BY ONE, understand what I'm saying? And it takes LOTS and LOTS of time. If you don't believe me, you have a stopwatch in your phone, measure how long it takes where you have 15 or so enemies. Either make it real time (like pathfinder or the old BG style) or move units in parallel. It's 2024, this is not rocket science, cpus can handle it fine.

AJBungah

Neo Member
The problem is that you have to wait every enemy to move ONE BY ONE, understand what I'm saying? And it takes LOTS and LOTS of time. If you don't believe me, you have a stopwatch in your phone, measure how long it takes where you have 15 or so enemies. Either make it real time (like pathfinder or the old BG style) or move units in parallel. It's 2024, this is not rocket science, cpus can handle it fine.

I genuinely think it's actually too fast rather than too slow watching enemy turns. If it was faster as you suggest I'd have to spend time in the combat log scrolling through text to see what actually happened lol.

WitchHunter

Banned
I genuinely think it's actually too fast rather than too slow watching enemy turns. If it was faster as you suggest I'd have to spend time in the combat log scrolling through text to see what actually happened lol.
There could be an option for slow guys like you to slow the pace down. That won't hurt anyone.

Doom85

dem success GIF

Thanks to the CRITICAL HIT influencers who climaxed every 5 minutes on yt and twitch.

Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

Sorry the game that was already well known to be excellent for three years of Early Access became a massive success. 5 minutes sounds like how often you whine about it here on Gaf that a beloved game didn’t tickle your particular fancy, and rather than moving on with your life, you go after everyone who enjoyed it like it’s your career or something.

Seriously, keep insulting people like you did above, and I look forward to what your new tag will be. Maybe even a username change as we’ve seen can happen in the Off Topic section (and due to someone making a very similar insult to yours.….)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's an OK game. Beat it once, will maybe do a Dark Impulse (dark urge?) run next time there's a new games drought. Way too long and pacing is too slow for me to do another play through this soon.

bitbydeath

My only complaint is the lack of levels.
Give me 50+ by wiping everyone out and make it extremely OP if you can achieve it.

Edit: Maybe make that a NG+ feature.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Jersey Shore GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

Sorry the game that was already well known to be excellent for three years of Early Access became a massive success. 5 minutes sounds like how often you whine about it here on Gaf that a beloved game didn’t tickle your particular fancy, and rather than moving on with your life, you go after everyone who enjoyed it like it’s your career or something.

Seriously, keep insulting people like you did above, and I look forward to what your new tag will be. Maybe even a username change as we’ve seen can happen in the Off Topic section (and due to someone making a very similar insult to yours.….)
Why everyone thinks like a lobotomized 5 year old?

All I want is better games. Is that such a hard pill to swallow? A better game brings more joy to you, why is that a problem all of a sudden? I never say anything that would derail a game, like lots of people with ill intent tend to do so on public forums. All I offer is unbiased ideas and criticism on a given topic. You can't find these nowadays on the net, but, surely you have to attack me, because your virtual wife was put in its place, or bc of the herd mentality G Le Bon wrote good books about.

The average ppls thought process here reminds me of a half witted pig. He criticized something, therefore he must be evil, he is the enemy, we must negate the person. Maybe think about it a second how would a proper battle system, that doesn't waste your time, make the game somehow worse? THINK. It's hard, but rewarding.

Now you can use an anigif as a trump card and pat yourself on the back for being so clever.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I did all of act1 with 50 hours played.

Uninstalled as it’s just too much game for me.

Reinstalled now that I’m in a bit of drought phase. I’ll see if the time away will make it more enjoyable.

I’d love if their next game was set in the magic the gathering universe.

Secretly I want them to make an ARPG to take the crown of path of exile and Diablo etc.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Bounced hard off this game twice last year... just couldn't be bothered with the mountains of admin you have to do, and all the fiddly on-screen shit.

But at the third time of asking, I've put 12 hours in, and it's starting to click. In the goblin camp right now, and working out the best way to kill all of them. Still think there's way too many bloody options for your character. I know it's D&D, but it just gets so fucking boring having to sort it all out so it works. Hopefully the story will grab me enough for that not to be much of an issue.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

All I want is better games. Is that such a hard pill to swallow?

For some, and I would say majority, this is S-tier cRPG. I put 150 hours into this and I valued my time more than any quick action packed yellow painted ledge open world full of icons bullshit from AAA studios that are 40 hours long. I'm sure you can find a game that satisfies your taste without resulting to insults. WTF is this?

Why everyone thinks like a lobotomized 5 year old?
You don't value your time. Maybe because you are young, foolish, and without a properly working brain.
It's 2024, this is not rocket science,
No, have you seen the head honcho's head when he got the 7 awards or so? Now they go full retard.

I never say anything that would derail a game, like lots of people with ill intent tend to do so on public forums.
All I offer is unbiased ideas and criticism on a given topic. You can't find these nowadays on the net, but, surely you have to attack me, because your virtual wife was put in its place, or bc of the herd mentality G Le Bon wrote good books about.

Fuucckkkinggg hell. Do you even read yourself. Are you off your meds?

The average ppls thought process here reminds me of a half witted pig. He criticized something, therefore he must be evil, he is the enemy, we must negate the person.

No. You're just a fucking abrasive twit. Nobody cares if you didn't like BG3. But see those comments you made in this thread. That doesn't look like stable mental health to me.

You derailed the thread fully with your nonsense. I got banned for less around these parts. I'm surprised you're even here by now.

EDMIX

Such an amazing game!

I can play hours of this game simply just talking to the characters and going town to town lol

but to then have rock solid turn base gameplay.....amazing

WitchHunter

Banned
For some, and I would say majority, this is S-tier cRPG. I put 150 hours into this and I valued my time more than any quick action packed yellow painted ledge open world full of icons bullshit from AAA studios that are 40 hours long. I'm sure you can find a game that satisfies your taste without resulting to insults. WTF is this?

Fuucckkkinggg hell. Do you even read yourself. Are you off your meds?

No. You're just a fucking abrasive twit. Nobody cares if you didn't like BG3. But see those comments you made in this thread. That doesn't look like stable mental health to me.

You derailed the thread fully with your nonsense. I got banned for less around these parts. I'm surprised you're even here by now.
I didn't say BG3 was trash. I have reservations, that's all. You didn't answer my very basic question, yet you try to frame my persona with mental illness : DDD. Btw you act like my dachshund who is very happy because it only sees a very tiny fraction from the real world. It has no problems, no worries, because it gets the food from me and everyone loves it. So, you have a narrow field of vision and based on that you proclaim that BG3 is an absolute miracle and everyone else who disagrees are deffo retarded. Well, you are seeing the tip of the needle and satisfied with it, I see a much larger surface area, and based on that I have higher expectations. That's all.

As I've said, nobody loses shit if the game sports a better overall battle system.

Now you can go cry to the mods then drink your koolaid.

Doom85

I didn't say BG3 was trash.

For some reason, it won’t let me send a link to it (maybe someone else can help me here?), but in the topic “Anyone Else Feels Baldur’s Gate 3 is not Fun, especially when played solo?”, post #91, you referred to the game as a “mediocre thing”, and you definitely meant the game and not just the battle system because you were saying this in opposition to people telling others what a masterpiece the game was.

So if you’re straight up lying, how can we take your opinion seriously?

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Btw you act like my dachshund who is very happy because it only sees a very tiny fraction from the real world. It has no problems, no worries, because it gets the food from me and everyone loves it. So, you have a narrow field of vision and based on that you proclaim that BG3 is an absolute miracle and everyone else who disagrees are deffo retarded. Well, you are seeing the tip of the needle and satisfied with it, I see a much larger surface area, and based on that I have higher expectations. That's all.

As I've said, nobody loses shit if the game sports a better overall battle system.

Now you can go cry to the mods then drink your koolaid.
You managed to insult someone in every post you made in this thread.

The BG3 combat system is a tactical turn based one, reminiscent of classic D&D and Divine Divinity. Yes it could have an option to accelerate enemy's turn for those who want it, but it still need to be sequential as that's the core principle of beloved D&D. Tactical turn combat tends to takes a lot of time anyway, just look at X-com, Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Battle (or Divine Divinity) they're all 100+hours games. But again, an option to accelerate enemy animation could be welcome sometimes, I think X-com had such option.

WitchHunter

Banned
For some reason, it won’t let me send a link to it (maybe someone else can help me here?), but in the topic “Anyone Else Feels Baldur’s Gate 3 is not Fun, especially when played solo?”, post #72, you referred to the game as a “mediocre thing”, and you definitely meant the game and not just the battle system because you were saying this in opposition to people telling others what a masterpiece the game was.

If you read my previous comments at least read them all. Now go and do your job.

WitchHunter

Banned
You managed to insult someone in every post you made in this thread.

The BG3 combat system is a tactical turn based one, reminiscent of classic D&D and Divine Divinity. Yes it could have an option to accelerate enemy's turn for those who want it, but it still need to be sequential as that's the core principle of beloved D&D. Tactical turn combat tends to takes a lot of time anyway, just look at X-com, Final Fantasy Tactics or Ogre Battle (or Divine Divinity) they're all 100+hours games. But again, an option to accelerate enemy animation could be welcome sometimes, I think X-com had such option.
Sigh. You cling into one of my sentences and build your whole reply around that. Now your homework is to find the flaws in your reasoning and erroneous claims you made. Report back, when you found them. Next?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I thought BG3 had a lot of great things going for it. But it also was one of the most frustrating games I've played in a long time. If it wasn't as good as it was, I wouldn't have beaten it.

j0hnnix

Gold Member

Now they have the money, it's time to create a battle system where you don't need a book to not die from boredom related illnesses.
Damn, spoke up in a thread where he would be burned like a witch in Salem. Props.

most laugh I get out of playing this game is having my character run around with Penis B out , outside that, punching my balls is more entertaining.

WitchHunter

Banned
And? What is you suggestion to make this particular game better? Apart from having multiple enemies move per turn, which is a fair point but still a small nitpick.
Your elicitation technique is at best abysmal. Some of the morsels are all spread throughout the threads. You just have to dig a bit.

Doom85

If you read my previous comments at least read them all. Now go and do your job.

Justin Timberlake What GIF

Bruh, stop it. You said the game was bad. Straight up. You said you didn’t say it, and there is flat out proof you did in fact say it.

At least own your shit.

Sigh. You cling into one of my sentences and build your whole reply around that. Now your homework is to find the flaws in your reasoning and erroneous claims you made. Report back, when you found them. Next?

Yes, because insulting people is A) against the forum rules, and B) an ad hominem, which is universally considered bad form when it comes to arguing.

Maybe read up on Debate 101 before you come in here insulting people and acting like your opinion is vastly superior to everyone else’s.

Guilty_AI

Your elicitation technique is at best abysmal. Some of the morsels are all spread throughout the threads. You just have to dig a bit.
Let me guess:

You didn't play the game, AND didn't even bother reading or watching anything about it aside from the very basics and hear-say from forums.

WitchHunter

Banned
Let me guess:

You didn't play the game, AND didn't even bother reading or watching anything about it aside from the very basics and hear-say from forums.
: DDD You are lazy, there are only a handful of threads related to bg3. You click on my name, and check the comments that were made in BG3 related forums. Is that so hard? You'll see all the ideas, but I'm not gonna hand them over on a silver plate, sorry. Hire a butler if you are lazy.

Justin Timberlake What GIF

Bruh, stop it. You said the game was bad. Straight up. You said you didn’t say it, and there is flat out proof you did in fact say it.
Quote pls, thanks. Come on, be creative, use proper anigifs this time. Create your own, do not plagiarize others' hard work.

At least own your shit.

Yes, because insulting people is A) against the forum rules, and B) an ad hominem, which is universally considered bad form when it comes to arguing.
Where, with what? You have nothing to say, just attack me, pull out some insignificant thing and can't let it go and also can't add anything to the topic at hand. Come on, tell us why BG3 is the RPG of the decade, why the battle system is state of the art. At least we can debate on something relevant.

Maybe read up on Debate 101 before you come in here insulting people and acting like your opinion is vastly superior to everyone else’s.
I came here to voice my concerns. There are a handful of crybabies, like you, who take everything at face value like someone slapped them in the face. Grow up. Debate 101: if you accuse someone with something, show the proof, do the digging, read given user's previous comments on the topic, aggregate, distill, then show what you've got. Thanks.

For some reason, it won’t let me send a link to it (maybe someone else can help me here?), but in the topic “Anyone Else Feels Baldur’s Gate 3 is not Fun, especially when played solo?”, post #91, you referred to the game as a “mediocre thing”, and you definitely meant the game and not just the battle system because you were saying this in opposition to people telling others what a masterpiece the game was.

Mediocre = trash? How did you make that jump? Think about it.

Guilty_AI

: DDD You are lazy, there are only a handful of threads related to bg3. You click on my name, and check the comments that were made in BG3 related forums. Is that so hard? You'll see all the ideas, but I'm not gonna hand them over on a silver plate, sorry. Hire a butler if you are lazy.
So you didn't.

Btw i did search for comments before, nothing worthy of mention came up other than your personal hatred towards turn-based mechanics.

Top Bottom