• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will Naughty Dogs Factions II (multiplayer standalone) be?

What will Naughty Dogs multiplayer project look like?

• 1) Essentially a traditional sequel to the first Factions game. Round based, 5 v 5 multiplayer.

• 2) An open world DayZ / PUBG style departure.

• 3) A completely new IP having nothing to do with The Last of Us franchise.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Ex Naught Dog lead Bruce Straley had this to say about Naughty Dogs standalone multiplayer project...

Naughty Dog also released this official statement...

So once Naught Dog reveals their multiplayer project, what do you think it'll look like?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Voted number two. They are taking a while so I don't think it will be just a rehash of the first one's multiplayer, but I don't think they'll departure too much of the brand so imo option three is discarded.

And also a battle royale with TLOU mechanics would be cool imo.

Hope it ain’t battle royale. Traditional would be best so hopefully they go that route, the first game is amazing, take that core gameplay with the new and improved controls, stealth and combat and it would be an amazing mp game.

Hopefully they add a mode with infected randomly scattered around the maps though. Always wanted that in the first game.

NeoGiffer

ImperturbableOilyFreshwatereel-max-1mb.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Voted number two. They are taking a while so I don't think it will be just a rehash of the first one's multiplayer, but I don't think they'll departure too much of the brand so imo option three is discarded.

And also a battle royale with TLOU mechanics would be cool imo.

I'm thinking this way as well. I have to imagine Naughty Dog looks at the Rusts, the PUBGs, the Fortnites of the world in 2018 and says "We can do that, but better".

Plus, the longer the reveal is delayed the less likely a traditional 5 v 5 multiplayer becomes.

kyliethicc

Factions is 4 v 4..

And the Part 2 multiplayer will likely be a legit standalone $40-70 game that will be built to last for 5-8 years with updates. Maybe it'll be bundled with a PS5 remaster of Part 2.

It'll probably ship this summer.

I suspect it'll have the core PvP modes, but also something co-op, more PvE focused. And maybe even something sorta PvPvE, like Factions TDM with Infected also present in the map as a wildcard.

Leaked footage shows 4v4 mode and something called "Expedition Day 1" with option to "Skip Day" and more.

It's clearly gonna be cross-gen PS4 PS5 too.

Last edited:

quickwhips

Factions is 4 v 4..

And the Part 2 multiplayer will likely be a legit standalone $40-70 game that will be built to last for 5-8 years with updates. Maybe it'll be bundled with a PS5 remaster of Part 2.

It'll probably ship this summer.

I suspect it'll have the core PvP modes, but also something co-op, more PvE focused. And maybe even something sorta PvPvE, like Factions TDM with Infected also present in the map as a wildcard.

Leaked footage shows 4v4 mode and something called "Expedition Day 1" with option to "Skip Day" and more.

It's clearly gonna be cross-gen PS4 PS5 too.
Best multiplayer with wait better stay best multiplayer. No pay to win guns this time.

kyliethicc

"So far, it seems multiplayer is pretty far along, as many of the snippets are in-engine along with unique UI elements and mechanics. It wouldn't be too hasty to assume that right now multiplayer may be on track for a 2021 release."

"The Last of Us Part 2's is shaping up to be very familiar so far, assuming these leaks represent a more refined state of the game. Based on the leaks alone, it'd be a safe bet to assume Naughty Dog's new multiplayer will likely ship next year. While the delay statement from 2019 was a bit unclear about what the ambition meant for the multiplayer, but it's clear this will be an expanded evolution/iteration of Factions from The Last of Us. For now, the new "expedition" mechanics remain a mystery, but they likely function similarly to the original Factions metagame. Fans of the original Factions will likely be pleased when official gameplay is shown of The Last of Us Part 2's multiplayer spin-off."

FQkVCqE.jpg
wp42BkL.jpg
PzPqheU.jpg
SdHIaPj.jpg

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"So far, it seems multiplayer is pretty far along, as many of the snippets are in-engine along with unique UI elements and mechanics. It wouldn't be too hasty to assume that right now multiplayer may be on track for a 2021 release."

"The Last of Us Part 2's is shaping up to be very familiar so far, assuming these leaks represent a more refined state of the game. Based on the leaks alone, it'd be a safe bet to assume Naughty Dog's new multiplayer will likely ship next year. While the delay statement from 2019 was a bit unclear about what the ambition meant for the multiplayer, but it's clear this will be an expanded evolution/iteration of Factions from The Last of Us. For now, the new "expedition" mechanics remain a mystery, but they likely function similarly to the original Factions metagame. Fans of the original Factions will likely be pleased when official gameplay is shown of The Last of Us Part 2's multiplayer spin-off."

FQkVCqE.jpg
wp42BkL.jpg
PzPqheU.jpg
SdHIaPj.jpg

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Pray to God that's not representative of the final product. Looks so God damn unambitious.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Pray to God that's not representative of the final product. Looks so God damn unambitious.
You want another battle royale game? Where is the ambition in that?

First game is so damn good, and there aren’t any other games on the market like it. Why change what’s unique and good? Why not just improve upon it instead of following the boring ass trends.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

First game is so damn good, and there aren’t any other games on the market like it. Why change what’s unique and good? Why not just improve upon it instead of following the boring ass trends.

Open world multiplayer is in it's relative infancy. Team based, round based multiplayer is undergoing Hospice care

ZehDon

Gold Member
I don't think it'll be standalone; it'll be bundled with an upgraded single player game to get those extra sales. And I suspect it'll be your basic COD-style package: have standard team modes and a battle royale mode "with a twist". I don't think ND would try and do a Day Z style online survival game when a battle royale with micro-transactions would make a lot more money.

kyliethicc

I don't think it'll be standalone; it'll be bundled with an upgraded single player game to get those extra sales. And I suspect it'll be your basic COD-style package: have standard team modes and a battle royale mode "with a twist". I don't think ND would try and do a Day Z style online survival game when a battle royale with micro-transactions would make a lot more money.
It'll be standalone and bundled, like Miles Morales.

Its gonna be cross gen. Can't bundle it with a remaster on PS4.

$40 for multiplayer (PS4 / PS5)
$70 for multiplayer + part 2 remaster (PS5 only "ultimate edition")

There's a reason TLOUPart2 did not get a PS5 patch for 60 FPS. Same reason why Spider-Man did not get patched. Full PS5 version instead. But they will of course ship it on PS4 for the majority of sales.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Okay......Does that mean every game needs to follow suit?

karl pilkington bullshit GIF

The future of games is player creativity, communication, emergent gameplay with an emphasis on multiplayer story. This is the new frontier.

The past is games that stress high mechanical skill and efficiency. We've been there, done that.

I genuinely believe Battle Royale and Survival games mark a new epoch in gaming. I don't think Naughty Dog should waste their time making outdated games.

Perrott

Gold Member
giphy.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

That footage multiplayer footage was taken out of an early 2018 build, which means that the MP is in much better shape by now considering that three years have passed since then. It also means that we would be looking a development cycle of 4+ years for the multiplayer in case that it releases later this year, something that guarantees greater ambitions compared to TLOU1's Factions mode.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That footage multiplayer footage was taken out of an early 2018 build, which means that the MP is in much better shape by now considering that three years have passed since then. It also means that we would be looking a development cycle of 4+ years for the multiplayer in case that it releases later this year, something that guarantees greater ambitions compared to TLOU1's Factions mode.

tenor.gif

I could see Sony rebooting the direction of the multiplayer in 2018. Fortnite and PUBG were dwarf stars at that time. Hoping Sony recognized the market shift at that point, and went in the open world direction.

How good it will be will imho depend on how much pressure they get from Sony to monetize it. Vanilla, launch Factions is one of the best MP experiences ever. They ruined it with microtransactions and broken, basically pay to win weapons. Plus all the new perks and loadout options completely shifted the meta into smoke bomb and shiv galore. Fucking shame.

I think they can stick to the 5v5 format, AND have a more open battle royale type mode as well. And they can monetize both substantially, but this time without affecting the core game. Battle pass, cosmetics, gestures, sprays, etc.

THEAP99

Banned
It'll have an open world for DayZ styled stuff and then it'll have the traditional faction 1 modes.

Perrott

Gold Member
tenor.gif

I could see Sony rebooting the direction of the multiplayer in 2018. Fortnite and PUBG were dwarf stars at that time. Hoping Sony recognized the market shift at that point, and went in the open world direction.
I don't think you would need a reboot in order to get something like that into TLOU2's multiplayer. I mean, the fact that we have only seen footage from "classic TLOU multiplayer modes" doesn't mean the MP will be limited to that, as there could easily be a ton of modes and features just that weren't part of the leak.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
As much as I dislike naughty dog, their version of escape from tarkov would be pretty cool mechanics wise. I might give it a shot if they can stop themselves from forcing me to play as a disabled trans midget.

Keihart

I mean, whoever played factions could see when playing a battle royale how much the mechanics would work in that rule set and format.
Factions under the battle royale format, with lots of players in a big map would really work well for setting traps, looting, stealth and 1 life with down state.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I hope it has some well-thought-out community building features. For example, killing people, gathering resources, building Jackson-like communities / safe havens of AIs that will likely fight with you, raid other communities for resources, etc.

At least one mode like this will help ensure the longevity of the game and will also fit in the TLOU survival-focused world very well.

Nice Trippple AYYYY studio there. Can't even release multiplayer at the same time as the main title. 🤣 Y'all gonna have to pay for this mode?

Battle royales are fun and if sony has a brain they’re probably telling them to make a br or else it’s not going to have long legs.

Bartski

Gold Member
4vs4 deathmatch in Factions was perfect but the "community management" stuff and the narrative layer on top were pretty shit honestly, so delivering some of that through an open-world DayZ type component could be amazing.

I honestly hope it's multi-mode. I'm mostly looking forward to some type of PvE horde mixed with base defense, close to GoT Legends Survival.

I also really hope some of the early leaked ideas got scrapped and we WON'T be playing with any of the actual characters from the campaign.
Just Seraphites vs WLF vs Rattlers vs Hunters vs Fireflies vs Jackson, including character classes, like playable brutes etc.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The multiplayer in the first was actually really, really good and kept me playing longer than Uncharted 4. They really need to scrap the pay to win guns though.

Didn't see an option for "mediocre" anywhere.

For all the praise that Sony gets for it's single player offerings... They've shown absolutely no ability to produce a decent multi player game.

When MS says that it's going to create a great single player game, people should be skeptical, and for good reason. That exact same logic applies to Sony in this regard. It's one of the things that gives these two different identities.

kyliethicc

Theres also leaked footage from a build from March 2020. And its basically the same 4v4 mode and hud. And the menu says something about an "expedition day 1" and the option to "skip day"

Dunki

a mini golf game because real golf is too offensive and not inclusive enough because disabled people could not play a real golf game.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
The multiplayer in the first was actually really, really good and kept me playing longer than Uncharted 4. They really need to scrap the pay to win guns though.
That variable rifle was such bs, I got a free 5 dollars to psn once and used it on the pack that had it, the thing improved my win rate by like 10% and my kdr by like 20
That old build certainly looKS rough, but I'm sure it will be fine at release
Lack of mp is the main reason I didnt buy last of us 2, (Abby being a sociopath put on a pedestal is the other, seriously that is the real reason people don't like her even if they don't realize it)

VulcanRaven

I hope there won't be as many microtransactions like in the first game. There are so many things you can buy in the multiplayer.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Id like option 1 and 2 lol. Id actually play it if its an open world multiplayer survival game.

If its a competitive PVP Id play it a bit but probably not get stuck in like a option 2

tenor.gif

ND do the inspiring though so you can keep dreaming, they ain't gonna copy broke ass Day Z.
Not that Factions was very inspiring though to begin with... pretty generic MP (best part is the survival elements) with some broken things, and it played slow. They could do Day Z better, but I'd prefer a PvEvP playlist, 60FPS, etc. If a BR-like mode were to exist then I'd want it optional, and to be a live world instead of jumping out of a plane. Maybe all these elements would be good, but preferably since survival games need to be ambitious I'd say just evolve the original, keep the arena maps, add more customization, etc. and it'll be perfect with Part II's mechanics.

I voted for the first one.

However, I think the maps will be a lot bigger this time and maybe feature 10 vs 10.

Bigger but still not a 100 player in a big island game.

Last edited:

drotahorror

It'll be standalone and bundled, like Miles Morales.

Its gonna be cross gen. Can't bundle it with a remaster on PS4.

$40 for multiplayer (PS4 / PS5)
$70 for multiplayer + part 2 remaster (PS5 only "ultimate edition")

There's a reason TLOUPart2 did not get a PS5 patch for 60 FPS. Same reason why Spider-Man did not get patched. Full PS5 version instead. But they will of course ship it on PS4 for the majority of sales.

Wouldn't be the first $30 I've thrown in the trash (bought TLOU2 around Christmas and been sitting on it since), but I hope you're wrong.

Top Bottom