• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In what cases can one game sink a studio?

angrod14

While I was watching the Grounded II doc on saturday Druckmann said something that caught my attention: that there was a very low point for them as a studio while the game was being made (I don't recall if it was after the leaks), and that he was thinking "is this the game that finally sinks Naughty Dog?". I thought about that and it seems a little bit overdramatic to consider the possibility of Sony's best studio closing just because a single game tanks (either critically or, more importantly, in sales).

But there have been cases of studios closing after their games underperformed, even if they were good games. Evolution Studios come to mind, a bad launch (not even a bad game, just its launch) was good enough to bury them. The thing is they were never really that successful: MotorStorm was great but it was ultimately very niche and didn't have a lot of reach. It never became the arcade driving blockbuster maybe Sony was expecting.

Days Gone got shelved after being poorly launched, even if it was a good game after all the patches landed. Thankfully Bend Studio is still up, but they probably got their balls cutted in terms of creative freedom after that.

Naughty Dog is in a position where Sony allows them to do whatever they want. They even let them kill one of their most acclaimed and beloved characters, right from the start of the sequel. While I don't think the game was going to "sink" the whole studio if it flopped, it sure would've made Sony intervene a lot more in subsequent releases to monitor whatever they were coming up with.

I don't think neither Santa Monica or Insomniac have nearly as much as a blank check as Naughty Dog, since they seem to play it extremely safe. Insomniac is great and everything but they hardly do anything new or bold in their games, and the most audacious thing Santa Monica has done was to turn God of War in to a TLOU skin (which I love, but come on, let's not pretend they just copied what Naughty Dog had success with).

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Is this about what games caused closure of studios?

Zipper got closed after Socom 4.

Team ICO got disbanded during development of The Last Guardian.

Was gonna say Driveclub, but you already mentioned Evolution Studios.

Fbh

I do agree a new ND game would have to be an absolute disaster for Sony to consider axing one of their "prime" studios.
Many of the examples people have posted were either a new team that didn't survive their first game bombing, or studios that were already on a downward trend and their latest game was basically the "final drop".

That said I think it might become and increasingly more likely scenario in the AAA space with these inflated budgets and super long dev times.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I imagine that for any studio their latest game could be their last if it doesn't perform, especially independent studios.

A failed AAA can sink any studio, no matter its reputation.

The case of Bend is a special one. Days Gone was a commercial success but Sony rather listen to crazed journos and push the studio in another direction. As a result, their next game will be worse, putting the studio on the edge of the cliff.

Bartski

Gold Member
In case it's a giant commercial and critical flop. Like the size of TLOU Online. No studio is ever immune to that and can be killed by one bad failure, which is why there is so much playtesting at all stages of development, mock reviews etc.

ungalo

I think there is no objective absolute reason. I mean besides the case where the studio is independant and is going bankrupt.

But for an internal studio in a very big structure, it could be just because of some current policy that's going on, because some publisher doesn't have high tolerance for financial failure, because they just don't think the studio will succeed in the future given the current state of the industry, because they think they could reallocate resources, because they want to cut back costs and they have to choose between several studios, it could be any business decisions really.

Last edited:

hinch7

Sains Row reboot
This. Volition self destructed after its disasterious reveal. Which was met with extreme dislike from not only their target audience that no-one else could give two shits for. And they (the developer) tried to play coy. Killed the franchise as well. If they had actual good marketing research that understood the market and its audience, this would've and should've been scrapped, not a year or two in development.

Rocksteady is probably the next on the firing line with the atrociously mid Suicide Squad.

Last edited:
Even though it may be a bit of a hyperbole for ND on itself, a bad game can cause a chain reaction and sink a studio.
Think of it like this:
Bad game > Morale drops > Studio culture changes (which can already be seen as sinking a studio, as the studio isn't what it was before) > Next bad game > Confidence of ND drops > Less confidence from Sony > Less budget from Sony > ND relegated to creating smaller and less ambitious games > People from ND leaving > Studio closes

I mean, you can basically call uncle Phil Spender, and ask him this question.
Starfield might've not just sunk a studio, it might've sunken a whole platform.

Kikorin

Mario & Luigi killed Alpha Dream even if the games were great or in worst cases good.

We can say CoD series killed both Raven Software and Neversoft since both become CoD machines, even if Raven still exist I thought.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
One where it doesn’t sell.

What brought down lionhead?

All you need is one game to not sell and you can be finished because you do not have enough for the next game and publishers won’t fund you.

Zannegan

Haze, I think. And Factor 5's dragon game? Though I think there were some Human Head shenanigans there.

When games take so much time and so many people to make, every big game has the potential to wipe a studio out if it fails. It's why people think the current way of developing games may be unsustainable. Many of these games seem too big to fail, but when one does, down comes the house of cards.

DriveClub, The Order: 1886. Both makes me sad.
Ready at Dawn is still around, no? I thought they made VR games now.

Last edited:

Phase

If 343 didn't have endless Microsoft funds they probably would've folded long ago. Future closure still to be seen.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Absolutely one game can ruin a studio.

You’re only as good as the last thing you made, and unless your track record is stellar/financially successful, then you could be out. Hell people thought CP2077 was the end of CDPR.

Stevonidas

I am still bitter about this one despite all these years since.
Sleeping Dogs didn't kill United Front Games, Triad Wars did. Or, at least, it would have, had it ever been released.

But yeah, fucking pissed we never got a sequel to that miracle of a gem. The game still holds up over a decade later.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
220px-Haze_boxart.jpg

Top Bottom