• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was Nintendo's best game on Switch

Best new Nintendo game on Switch

• Total voters

LakeOf9

I know Switch actually has a lot of games still left to release, and that's on top of the 71 and counting Switch releases by Nintendo already. their output is insane, and keeping track of it all was difficult.

but keeping this only limiting to new games (so no ports or remasters or remakes) and only to their major franchises, and trying to limit how many games per franchise got represented, I got the list down to... well its still over a dozen games but nintendo releases a lot of games lol. I know we still have Pikmin and Mario and Metroid Prime 4 and that Peach game to come (at least) so for all I know the results here will be very different a year from now, but for now, lets stick to these ones.

What's the best Nintendo game?

Spyxos

Gold Member
Totk.

Talking Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Mario Odyssey for sure but I do think Smash Ultimate was something special roster wise.

Bowsers Fury was my favorite though.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

I haven't played Tears of the Kingdom because I'm still working through Breath of the Wild, and I'm only one Divine Beast into that game. As someone who's been a lifelong Zelda fan, I get distracted from so many other games that it's hard to stick to Zelda. It's almost inarguable that these two games are the best Nintendo offers on Switch because of their ambition and overall accomplishment, but I couldn't choose them personally.

For me it's a tough pick between Odyssey and Smash Ultimate, but I'm going with Odyssey because I think it shows how Nintendo can still make fantastic sandbox-style Mario games. It's not perfect, but the play control, Cappy mechanics, and Kingdom designs are overall very solid. I'm disappointed that we haven't seen Odyssey 2 as Nintendo could easily tighten up the experience.

I'd go with TotK personally. There's a ton of stuff I enjoy on the Switch, but TotK is probably just better overall. I liked Odyssey, it was enjoyable, but not really in my top Mario games or anything. Three Houses was quite good.. But yeah, TotK.

Bridges

This list just reminds me how much of a monster their first party has been on Switch

Mario Odyssey, both Zeldas and Three Houses are all some of the high points of the generation for me. There isn't a studio on the planet that comes close to touching Nintendo when it comes to quality.

I have to vote on Zelda ToTK but I haven't played everything on the list.

When it comes to hardware usage and end result though, ToTK certainly punches above the Switch, it seems like a game that shouldn't exist on it.

If not for it I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles 3. I wouldn't vote for Bayonetta 3, but I think should be on the list as well.

BoTW would never be in the list for me because it's a Wii U game first and foremost, kinda like how we don't count remakes and enhanced ports here (otherwise Xenoblade Chronicles HD and Metroid Prime HD would have to be on the list)

Mario Odyssey was pretty subpar for me, it seemed like super mario 3D on autopilot, not horrible by any standards but basically a collectaton with fan service and little more. Also Switch limitations were very obvious on it for some reason, image quality was shit. Super Mario 3D World (on Wii U and Switch) seems like a better game graphically for me because it takes less shortcuts that eat into image quality. Also better game overall. Haven't played the Switch version though.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Animal Crossing hit at the perfect time for me as it hit when the kids and I had to work from home. Even after I sank 700 hours into it, I restarted my town when I got my Oled last year. I think I’m past the 800 hour mark which shows how much I love to play it!

93xfan

Banned
Very impressive for its time / platform, but far exceeded in general by the very next Mario game just a couple years later.
Not so sure about that.

Mario 3 (NES) had the perfect sized levels, better music and art style, and arguably better designed levels.

Mario World excels at exploration and fun and secrets, but Mario 3 had an awesome and rewarding setup if you had to use continues. Both are excellent, but Mario 3 edges out World for me. Try playing through every level of 3 legitimately if you haven’t already. It may change your mind.

Last edited:

Yumi

Tears of the kingdom has the technical achievement. But I think Breath of the Wild got me excited for Nintendo again.

Synless

I love TotK, but how do you top Smash Ultimate as a game? Answer: You don’t.

Last edited:

Sojiro

Prior to tears of the kingdom releasing I would have voted either Splatoon 3 or Xenoblade 3. But man TotK is such an incredible game.

What a banger of a library the Switch has, it at the point I think this is the best console I've ever owned, which is a big deal for me since the SNES exists.

I would never have imagined two mainline Zelda games releasing in one generation like this, both were amazing, and Age of Calamity is a great Warriors release tied to these games. The Switch got a really good 3D Mario as well as Bowser's Fury, as taste of what might be coming in the next 3D Mario. Mario Maker 2 came out and the Switch will be getting a new 2D Mario soon. The Switch got a surprise (and awesome) 3D Kirby release with Forgotten Lands after a more standard Kirby release with Star Allies in 2018. It got a Smash Bros. game with every character ever, then any they didn't already have were added. It got two more entries in the Xenoblade series which were both great, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 being among my favorite JRPGs ever released. Animal Crossing released at the absolute perfect time. Luigi's Mansion was just awesome and really gave the series a ton of added character. Fire Emblem saw two releases on the Switch, Three Houses was a fun game and I still need to play Engage. The Switch also saw two Fire Emblem Warriors releases. It got a third Bayonetta game, with all three available on the system and a bonus mayhem release with Astral Chain. The Switch also got a lot of remakes and re-releases. Metroid Prime, Mario RPG, Link's Awakening, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, etc.

I really hope Nintendo sticks to this format going forward.

Top Bottom