• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is HADES and why is the media creating such a ridicilous FAKE hype for it?

bender

What time is it?
fA4koU.gif

Enzo88

You should understand that game journos use different criteria for indie games compared to AAA ones. The bar is much much...much lower. And in your annual game awards, you kinda have to include at least one indie game (wasn’t Disco Elysium big “hit” last year). I played Bastion and it was...ok, for an indie game. More like meh but whatever. I generally don’t trust indies also, believe 90% are trash but then you stumble upon something like SOMA and you’re floored.

I feel similarly with Nintendo games. Like, yeah, they’re usually awesome, with one condition - if you’re a kid. Younger kid, before you get into that CoD and Fortnite phase.

If you want games that are just that, awesome, without conditions, go with Sony, go with Rockstar, Capcom, SE, maybe Bethesda etc.
I see we have a challenger for the dumbest statement.

Last edited:
People of the gaming world.

Since this years video game awards and its nominations for Game of The Year alot of people -myself included- just had one single question: What the fuck is this game and why was it nominated for GOTY???

Also why the fuck did it win even TWO awards at the game awards.

I know alot of people don't give a flying fuck about awards or game awards in general, but its saying something about the current state of the gaming industry. Its becoming more and more like movies. Influenced from real world events and political agenda bullshit. And here we go, theres a game nobody gave a flying fuck about but suddenly it is literally FORCED and shoved into our faces.

So lets take a look at this crappy game:

HADES
Ecy9gWg.png

came out on sept 17, 2020 but already released in Early Access in Dec. of 2019.

!!!!!OVERHELMINGLY POSITIVE!!!!!

wow. much hype. very swell

ok?

well the reviews from people who played are are total bs. "pet the dog pet the dog pet the dog 10/10" what a fucking horse crap.

Ok, then lets take a look at the stats, everyone likes stats right?

jp6U1kk.png

So what this tells us is basically nobody gave a fuck about this game up until the time it released and even when it released it wasnt that hot. Only when it got nominated for goty...literally out of nowhere, out of Keighleys ass or idk

and already it is losing players everyday.
The game that won two awards at the game awards including BEST ACTION GAME

You win garbage thread of the year. Congrats.

Fake hype? WTF are you on about? To what end? What stupid motivation have you concocted in your head?

Hades was a great game, from a studio with a great track-record. It's not my GOTY or anything, but I enjoyed it a lot and could totally understand someone feeling that strongly about it.

Get over yourself. People can like things you don't like (or things you assume you don't like, since I doubt you ever played the game, and if you did you went in TRYING to not like it).

Philfrag

Banned
I kind of thought the same. I bought it though a few days ago and realised how wrong i was. Its a great game if you're into that rogue lite stuff. Its also very obviously had a lot of love put into it and its crafted very well. Its definitely one of the best games of the year, but honestly thats not saying a lot. Mainstream video games have been fairly stagnant in recent years in terms of new things to get excited about. So if a bunch of journos want to gush over something smaller i dont really have an issue.

GAMETA

Banned
I don't get the hype as well... played Bastion and thought it was kinda meh...

Transistor seemed to follow, and now Hades... I don't see the appeal, but hey, maybe I'm wrong.

Hyper Light Drifter and FEZ were also hyped af, both kinda lame.

Last edited:

Since this years video game awards and its nominations for Game of The Year alot of people -myself included- just had one single question: What the fuck is this game and why was it nominated for GOTY???

I know alot of people don't give a flying fuck about awards or game awards in general, but its saying something about the current state of the gaming industry. Its becoming more and more like movies. Influenced from real world events and political agenda bullshit. And here we go, theres a game nobody gave a flying fuck about but suddenly it is literally FORCED and shoved into our faces.

HADES
Ecy9gWg.png

ok?

well the reviews from people who played are are total bs. "pet the dog pet the dog pet the dog 10/10" what a fucking horse crap.

jp6U1kk.png

So what this tells us is basically nobody gave a fuck about this game up until the time it released and even when it released it wasnt that hot. Only when it got nominated for goty...literally out of nowhere, out of Keighleys ass or idk

1qgbctthmr361.jpg

Calverz

Dont know about this hades game but OP does have a point about mainstream gaming media.
They are a bit of a joke these days. I bought horizon zero dawn and god of war off the gaming media hype and finished neither lol

V4skunk

Banned
Isn't Hades the next Bastion/Transistor game?
I have not played it but 100% sure Hades will be well worth it based on the previous games...

Animagic

Banned
People love it apparently but I hate roguelikes, so I haven’t bothered looking at it. I see a lot of people on Twitter playing it.

Guilty_AI

Dont know about this hades game but OP does have a point about mainstream gaming media.
They are a bit of a joke these days. I bought horizon zero dawn and god of war off the gaming media hype and finished neither lol
True, but they are more of a joke for not nominating even more interesting indie games that come out, instead choosing mainstream or streamer crap.
Like, not even a single mention of Factorio for this year?

Imagine being this salty over a legitimately amazing game that nails both gameplay and narrative without sacrificing either.

Out of nowhere because you live under a rock.
THANK YOU!

I couldn't care less about Hades after trying and failing to enjoy their last two games.

Then I started seeing the GOTY awards everywhere that OP is complaining about for some reason and picked it up on Switch. It's in my top 3 of the year out of nowhere! It's SO FREAKING FUN to come back to something you missed and have this much entertainment with! There's no microtransactions! 60 fps on Switch! Inexpensive! Great writing, but EVERYTHING is skippable to get back into the action! I had no idea I'd have this much fun with something I'd written off. What an experience.

I'm SO HAPPY it's getting attention right now, because I would have never cared or played it without that attention.

Marketing works.

balgajo

As someone that fell for the hype and really disliked Bastion I'm not touching this one.

Though I can't believe there is a fake hype. People like different stuff and that's fine.

Last edited:
The game was alright, but for the love of Zeus, why does Zagreus have to be constantly quipping and thinking out loud?

I don't constantly need a character talking to me while playing a game.

Moochi

Sorry, bro. Hades was my GOTY, followed by Disco Elysium.

Hades does roguelite better than any other title. The constant unobtrusive story updates with each new dungeon run, along with top tier art and music, set the game head and shoulders above others in the genre. The closest competitor would be Enter thr Gungeon, another great game, but lacking the story and charm of Hades. I was watching Blood of Zeus last week, a great netflix produced anime, and I kept wanting to go back and play Hades.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I had never played a rougelite before this game and I have absolutely fell in love with it. Of course I put it on that mode where if I die I get more powerful, but I’m also a pussy ass bitch when it comes to games difficulty now.

Hades is an incredible game. In my opinion Hades and Doom Eternal were my top games this year, no competition.

I hope PlayStation and Xbox gets versions of it soon so more people can experience this fantastic game

dyergram

HADES
Ecy9gWg.png

ok?

jp6U1kk.png

Hades is awesome it deserves every bit of praise. It’s cool to use critical thinking and apply to game reviews by all means but when a game was made by two people it’s probably not a money hat my guy...

I don't care for roguelikes, so I don't feel compelled to play Hades nor do I suffer from any FOMO. That said I also don't feel like the enthusiasm for it is manufactured. People genuinely love the game, and that's good.

Razvedka

Banned
What's funny is I do vaguely empathize with OP. When I heard Hades won so many awards I went "What? What game is that?" and then promptly just went back to ignoring everything. But I did feel it was kinda weird that he likes of Doom Eternal, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7:RE, among many other amazing games this year, were seen as 'peers' or 'lesser' to this one title.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

HADES
Ecy9gWg.png

ok?

jp6U1kk.png

I been playing Hades since it was in Eaarly Access. Great game. Probably will go back to it since it's actually released now.

HF2014

Well, been lookin at it since it was label by a lot a game of the year contender, and just can get into it by looking at the videos online. It might be a good game, but doesnt look like a goty contender imo. Friend bought it, thinking it tough and fun, but for some reason, it doesnt ring a bell for me, and i like some roguelike games like Rogue Legacy, Spelunky! , Enter The Gungeons ( jesus this one is hard ).

Top Bottom