• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is HADES and why is the media creating such a ridicilous FAKE hype for it?

sn0man

To be fair my local Domino’s has overwhelmingly positive reviews in excess of 15k. Not knocking this game, but just because a bunch of people like it does not make it good. It’s just a data point. We all have different tastes and (should be) aware that the internet can easily become a megaphone in an echo chamber.
This is an interesting point, but there is kind of a counterpoint you could argue:

This game doesn’t have the number of sales of a Fortnite or a Call of Duty. This game may not have a world or story of TLOU/GhostofT. That said we have game of the year to mean any game and arguably Minecraft and Mario Kart 8 are super different but also “games.”

We have older media that separates this. There is a short story award and a poetry award and a book award. TV and Movies have separate awards. Games though, as a media, do not have anything separating them. But I could still see the argument. Maybe you think that a certain episode of a TV show was better than any movies that came out that same year.

Can a rogue-lite compete with a AAA platform exclusive? Sure. I think a rationed opinion could form that a $30 game of type A could be a “better game of the year” than a free-to-play service game and also a $60 single player AAA open world story-driven game.

I guess what I’m saying is that sure, Hades might be Dominos. It might not be the 5-star restaurant, but it might still be good for what it is. If your parameter is “its fast food pizza” Dominos is quite a bit better than many fast food pizza. Maybe sometimes “fast food pizza” was better at being “fast food pizza” than an “upscale seafood restaurant” was at being “upscale seafood restaurant” because rating food is kind of the right question but asked in an insufficient manner.

Last edited:

bajouras

Well I played the game from start till finish (yeh the real final ending) and I find that even tho it nails loads of points for its genre (gameplay is super tight), for some reason I don't think it was one of the best games ever maybe not even goty compared to other years. Maybe it has to do with content or something. I mean if you compare it to other rogues like binding of isaac or enter the gungeon, it has far less content to unlock and far less bosses. But besides that, yeh I don't think I can name a better game this year anyways.

Nico_D

I'm 31 on escape attempts in. While I really like it, playing the same bosses over and over again is starting to get slightly boring. Not a huge problem yet but since I have opened all the abilities in the mirror there's not much new anymore to run for.

The luck of the draw of boons feels pretty significant. Sometimes you just know quite early that it isn't going to happen.

mcjmetroid

I mean I haven't played it and I kinda see where the OP is coming from.. it does seem to be everywhere and all at once. I was kinds like.. ok . This game again?

It's odd but it might be that damn good.
Still it is nice to see indie games getting that level of attention.

Judge Judy Reaction GIF

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Very carefully.

This is like the third time this week I have seen someone mention you liking posts. I was like, wtf? I don't get it. Everyone likes posts.

Apparently the members of the SDF feel they should be able to dictate what posts I can like. I mean she has been here a whole month now and like any good Sony warrior, she's looking out for anyone disrespecting Mother Sony.

Since they can't mass report me for liking posts they don't like they make posts complaining about it. Captain Toad Captain Toad if you are so upset about me liking posts put me on ignore or STFU, same for you Hawking Radiation Hawking Radiation and the rest of SonyBros that get triggered about me liking posts.

ethomaz

Banned
Since you’re a fan, which is worse Bastion or Transistor? Looking to start one of these soon.
IMO depends.
Do you like turn based or action?
Bastion is action... Transistor turn based.
I do like more Bastion.

I played like 30 minutes of Transistor and give up... I planned to try more in the future but until today I did no have the good vibe to try it again.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've tried watching many vids of Hades and I don't see the 90+ scores either. Looks very repetitive and the dungeon set pieces look very samey.

It does have artistic flare though with slick production values for a $20 game.

Javthusiast

Banned
It's a roguelike, over wich people coom over like with souls type games.

It has pretty drawings, which means husbandos and waifus to once again coom over.

/s

Excited to check the game out when it's even cheaper an on consoles other than switch.

Last edited:

Griffon

I never liked supergiant games. Their style of isometric action doesn't jive with me, never has.

They keep winning awards because they put a lot of effort on style, and 'journalists' love the pretty colored pictures.

Lunarorbit

This might be the stupidest fucking take I've ever seen that didn't include enciting violence.

You're pissed people like hades? Get over yourself

Ryu Kaiba

I don't like Isometric games and that seems to be all this studio wants to make, but this one looks somewhat decent at least.

GHG

Finally got round to buying this today and thought I would try it for a little while coming up to midnight. It's now 5am and I have no idea how that even happened. RIP me tomorrow, RIP my work.

OP is a moron.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played it and I enjoyed it. I sat it down to play other games. I went back to it and it was better than it was before. Transistor is good too. I’d probably rank Hades as their #1 game. Transistor under Hades and then lastly Bastion.

This is an interesting point, but there is kind of a counterpoint you could argue:

This game doesn’t have the number of sales of a Fortnite or a Call of Duty. This game may not have a world or story of TLOU/GhostofT. That said we have game of the year to mean any game and arguably Minecraft and Mario Kart 8 are super different but also “games.”

We have older media that separates this. There is a short story award and a poetry award and a book award. TV and Movies have separate awards. Games though, as a media, do not have anything separating them. But I could still see the argument. Maybe you think that a certain episode of a TV show was better than any movies that came out that same year.

Can a rogue-lite compete with a AAA platform exclusive? Sure. I think a rationed opinion could form that a $30 game of type A could be a “better game of the year” than a free-to-play service game and also a $60 single player AAA open world story-driven game.

I guess what I’m saying is that sure, Hades might be Dominos. It might not be the 5-star restaurant, but it might still be good for what it is. If your parameter is “its fast food pizza” Dominos is quite a bit better than many fast food pizza. Maybe sometimes “fast food pizza” was better at being “fast food pizza” than an “upscale seafood restaurant” was at being “upscale seafood restaurant” because rating food is kind of the right question but asked in an insufficient manner.

Was with you up until the Domino's metaphor. That stuff's mediocre.

I was wondering the same. Apparently it's a very solid game made by an studio with a lot of passion, and it's fundamentaly a joy to play. Pure gameplay awesomeness. Lot of content and incredible care for details.

I'm going to get it as soon as i'm over with what i'm playing now.

vpance

I think the previous indie darling GOTY Disco Elysium is far more undeserving of the hype it got. There was barely a game there. A overly wordy, masturbatory visual novel is what it was.

Sorcerer

On the surface Hades looks like a re-skin of Transistor (which I absolutely loved) a very ignorant opinion of course, but what I gather at first glance. I could not get into Bastion. I found controls on PC frustrating, must give it another shot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom