• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your definition of a perfect, timeless video game?

Drizzlehell

Banned
eh. ive been playing games since the atari days and there is no such thing as a timeless perfect game. Games are not movies. They have actual interactive elements that can always be improved. The older games like MGS had a lot of graphics issues that completely took my out of the experience. I mean snake didnt even have a face. Coming from 2d and 3d fighting games, it was very jarring. hell, tomb raider had blocky faces and they looked better.

Even MGS3 and Half Life 2 which are two of my favorite games of all time have a lot of issues that keep those games from being perfect let alone timeless. timeless to me is something you can watch 50 years from now and it still holds up. Godfather Part 1 and 2 are timeless. Mozart's requiem is timeless. Shakespeare's Julius Caesar is timeless. video games can and will always improve.

most recently, I played TLOU remake on PC. That was my game of the gen last gen. Now with TLOU2 graphics fidelity and some minor gameplay enhancements it shouldve been my game of the gen for PS4 but nope, it didnt even come close to beating TLOU2 because the gameplay was leagues ahead. The graphics and levels were better and bigger too. only the story still holds up.

I go back and play my favorites all the time. RDR2, Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, SoTC and i enjoy them. But they are not perfect and it annoys me that they lack certain features ive come to expect this gen. i never had those experiences watching movies even action packed ones like star wars in the 70s and indiana jones and back to the future in the 80s.
I dunno. In my opinion games can absolutely be timeless if the qualities that make them timeless transcend technical limitations. It would be like saying that Godfather movies cannot be timeless because they were shot on an old film stock, using 50 year old cameras and the sound effects aren't as crisp as they are in later movies. Or that Shakespeare's work cannot be timeless because it was written in early modern English that's incomprehensible to modern readers.

I can appreciate that technological complexities that go into making a video game or hell, even a movie, are infinitely higher than writing a book or an opera, and that there will always be something that could be improved. But the trick is to make something that doesn't need to be improved because the original experience is already as good as it needs to be. Both according to the original creator's vision, and for the audience to get the most out of it.

Last edited:

Fbh

Chrono Trigger:

What makes it timeless to me is that you can pick it up and play it today in the exact way it was released and it still hold up well:
-The visuals looks nice because as with most pixel art it's about the art direction and style instead of a pure technical showcase (60fps too)
-The combat system is still fun, the way they incorporated combined attacks is still one of the best out there
-Avoid a lot of the annoying elements from older JRPG's: There's no random encounters, it doesn't focus on grinding, the battles takes place on the actual world with no need for lengthy battle arena transitions, etc
-Has some modern ideas which weren't very common at the time like awesome replay value thanks to multiple endings and NG+

diffusionx

Gold Member
Lots of great games that are old I could hop into and have a great time in, but one I'll mention is Lumines. Either the original or the Vita game.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I could play this game for the rest of my life and be content.

PkFHQkx.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Timeless games have great energy, healthy amount of dialogue, and years later are still good.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
To me, a game that will last me hundreds of hours without it feeling like it. A game that stays in my mind, even when not playing it. It needs to have multiple systems to keep me wanting to come back. A good story is a plus, but not a requirement.

My top three games that are not perfect, but perfect for me are:

Starfield
Elden Ring
Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

I’ve put 200+ hours into each of those, and I’m nowhere near done with Starfield, and will return to the other two.

GametimeUK

Tetris has already been mentioned. It is THE game. However this question is really difficult to answer when you take away puzzle games from the equation.

Even then I find the most timeless design for other games usually revolve around puzzle solving and exploration. Metroid or Resident Evil etc.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
A game that is timeless is one that makes you smile and makes you cry because it retains the magic, it's charm and it's very soul of when you played it years ago and is just as good when you replay it years later.

Untarnished, undiluted by the passage of time.

Because it was memorable to you and it elicits the same emotions you had as a child when you are now an adult. A game that screams "they don't make them like they used to".

I don't think any single game can ideally be claimed as timeless as that is up to the individual. Each individual had a different experience that brought them to enjoy gaming as a hobby.

Edellus

Unique strong atmosphere is the most important thing to me in regards to "timelessnes", IMO. Maybe I have more fun with other games that lack a bit of it, but the ones I remember fondly for a long time require to excel at atmosphere.

A couple of "recent" games that fit those criteria for me are Bloodborne and Control. They ooze with an atmosphere that is everywhere. In every 3d model, every sound, music, dialog, text, enemy, etc. It's all so cohesive and kind of dreamlike. It's always weird, even when nothing is going on. And it never gets old.

No matter the flaws of the game or if they are creepy/scary or w/e, an early quote from Control sums up my feelings for these type of games pretty well: "you know what? I'm happy. Happy to be here".

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Mario, Tetris, and DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball 2

K2D

Banned
Perfectly polished.

Not marred by platform limitations.

Endlessly replayable

Proved and loved qualities like:

-gameplay

-sound/music

-writing

-artstyle

Nothing is ever perfect, but check those marks and you're pretty close.

And ofcourse there's no obligation for such a game to please everyone.

Papa_Wisdom

Nights into dreams

Pure fantasy, amazing original art style, gameplay can be simple but also fairly in-depth if going for combos. The a life system brings a little something different.

Virtual on

Arcade perfection, especially with the twin sticks. Simple for beginners but also Can be quite an in-depth if your willing to take it to the next level. Awesome mech designs with each one different from the next tactically.

Zelda: Link's Awakening.
Planescape: Torment.
Final Fantasy V.
Super Mario Bros. 3.
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood.
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike.
Puyo Puyo Tsu.
Tetris, depending on the version.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A game that is as easy to pick up and play now as it was at the time of its release. Outside of graphical fidelity, it should not feel like a chore to play or have mechanics that are clearly outdated or archaic.

My perfect game is Resident Evil 4.

What about 3D games with stylised graphics that don't necessarily go for realism, like cel-shading for example?
Depends from game to game, but most Cel-shading games also suffer from the fact that there will be even better cel-shadong graphics next generation. I think of comparing Viewtiful Joe with Birderlands 3 for example. 16 Bit graphics are timeless because they‘re limited by, well, 16 Bit.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Super Mario World and that's it. Definition would be: "A game that can still be impressive even when played years later, thanks to its enjoyable gameplay and visually pleasing art design."

King Dazzar

For me, Chess and Tetris. In the many decades I've been gaming, there's been many games which I've adored, but they do age in both graphics and gameplay. And are often best put on a plinth and respected but left in my memories.

Bigfroth

Zelda: Link to the past, Ms Pac-Man, Adventure, Nes Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda. Immortal classics that should not be forgotten.

Kliptik81

Neo Member
Tetris.

flawless level design, infinite replay value and enjoyable by all ages and generations.

Timeless and perfect
I agree 100%. I remember seeing someone say Tetris is THE PERFECT videogame, and I just laughed. Then I actually thought about it. It is actually flawless, and should always be in any list of top 10 games of all time.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Generally games where gameplay is entirely the focus, and the object is beating a high score or seeing how long you can last.

Classic arcade games of my childhood like Pac-Man, Robotron 2084, River Raid, etc…

These days I’m a big fan of Devil Daggers.

Camreezie

A game thats hard to find fault in, holds up to current days standards and you can clearly see the designers intentions for the player if you look hard enough.

Ocarina of time , resident evil 4 are two examples

Top Bottom