• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to pc master race?

The reality is you're talking bollocks. a 1060 is the most common used card on Steam, which is more powerful than the most powerful console currently in the OneX. And a year from now, the 3070 and 3080 will be the most common cards used on Steam, both more powerful than XSX and PS5.
I don’t think the 1060 is more powerful than the PS4 Pro and the XOX. Also, that’s only 10 percent of those surveyed.
We will have to wait and see about the 3070 and the 3080 but I doubt it.

The reality is you're talking bollocks. a 1060 is the most common used card on Steam, which is more powerful than the most powerful console currently in the OneX. And a year from now, the 3070 and 3080 will be the most common cards used on Steam, both more powerful than XSX and PS5.

So in a year's time from now PC gamers will up their average budget from $249 (launch price of 1060) to $499 (launch price of 3070) to become the most common card used on steam? ok...

Not forgetting that PSU requirement for GTX 1060 is 450W and GTX 3070 is 650W so that's more $$ required lol...

Last edited:

Stuart360

I don’t think the 1060 is more powerful than the PS4 Pro and the XOX. Also, that’s only 10 percent of those surveyed.
A 1060 is considerably more powerful than a PS4Pro, and slightly more powerful than a OneX.
And of course its only 10% or whatever, there are a million cards to chose from.
Everyone has been waiting for the 3000 series cards as the 2000 series cards were a total rip off, or 2060 and 2070 would already be the most used card.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I would say it is. My laptop has a 1060 (6Gb) and it ran all 2019 games on Ultra at 60fps (aside RDR2 which I havent even tried... But I doubt it runs on ultra, yeah xD)

Stuart360

So in a year's time from now PC gamers will up their average budget from $249 (launch price of 1060) to $499 (launch price of 3070) to become the most common card used on steam? ok...

Not forgetting that PSU requirement for GTX 1060 is 450W and GTX 3070 is 650W so that's more $$ required lol...
Yes of course, like how the 970 was the most used card before 1060 (a much more expensive card at the time), and the 760 and 770, with the 780 surprisingly close, was the most used card before the 970.
A lof of PC gamers are more than happy for console settings at 60fps, or slightly better than console settings at 60+fps, etc. Thats why the 60 and 70 cards are always the most used on a given gpu family, good performance for a solid price.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
PC gaming is closer to mobile gaming these days.

Filled with mobile games and fortnite derivatives and waiting for years for the next CDPR game or a port from consoles.
This post is hilarious because 3 days ago you were going to not buy a PS5 and were considering making a gaming PC instead. Come on mate.

Bryank75

Banned
This post is hilarious because 3 days ago you were going to not buy a PS5 and were considering making a gaming PC instead. Come on mate.
I am still making a PC and buying a cintiq for drawing and making things.
I don't currently plan on using it as my primary gaming machine though.... just for strategy games like CK3.

• Strength
Reactions: MrS

Stuart360

I don't currently plan on using it as my primary gaming machine though.... just for strategy games like CK3.
Bryank you realize PC gets all multiplatform games, all Xbox games, and IMO all PS5 games in the future. Irs only Nintendo that it doesnt have. I dont know where console gamers get this idea that PC is just Indie games.

PC gamers are not 'the general public'.

They are a 'master race', so cognitively superior that only they are capable of assembling a rig.

I constantly hear how all of their PC's are high end monsters and way better than all consoles and they play demanding games all the time.
However this chart and twitch and every other metric contradicts these assertions.
I despise PC elitists too. But after having seen your posts here for a while, you're worse than almost all of them.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
pc master race is playing whatever you want at whatever resolution, framerate, input method (fuck shooters on dual sticks w/ pathetic aim assists), mod, graphical settings, free online, emulation, etc, etc, you want. 2020 and some people still don`t understand this. -_-'

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Bryank you realize PC gets all multiplatform games, all Xbox games, and IMO all PS5 games in the future. Irs only Nintendo that it doesnt have. I dont know where console gamers get this idea that PC is just Indie games.
There is nothing saying all PS games will go to PC. I think MLB will go to PC but anything beyond that will be rare.
We will have to see, I think it will depend on how people respond. If fans eat them alive and the sales slump or something... I expect they will reverse immediately.

Exclusives got them to where they are and playing around with them is dangerous.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Which pc are you making? It may play some multiplats better then the ps5, and get sold cheaper.

Dthomp

Why are people so insecure about where others choose to play games? What the actual fuck is even the point of this thread? Grow the fuck up, play what you want where you want.

I'd assume it has something to do with most of the "PC master RaCe" folk are so elitist that they don't want people to have fun with their games, they are supposed to look down on less powerful consoles and snicker, but gaming has changed and all the kiddo games are what is hot, and you don't need a 5k PC to play most of this stuff anymore. So they have a giant overpriced box that plays the same Fortnite and Fall Guys that the guy on Xbox, Switch, Playstation, tablet, etc can play.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Most people usually play meme games. It has nothing to do with "power". OP knows this, yet made a bait thread others bit into.
Do+the+bait+meme+_2418b69c86acdea71f88de80556fb809.jpg

I await your next bait thread. Maybe something about how Nintendo is only for kids!

Bryank75

Banned
Which pc are you making? It may play some multiplats better then the ps5, and get sold cheaper.
Someone linked me a good PC maker in the UK or I could order all the parts from customepc.ie.

I'll see what the build costs and compare against what I could make.

Will be something built around a 3080, when they become more available. Probably a 3900x or something like that.
Maybe a X570 ROG Crosshair VIII motherboard.

I'll have to look deeper into everything. But I have to budget in the cintiq 16 too.

Consumer

Console for exclusives and everything else on PC since with a high end PC that is always the superior experience.

unless you're playing a popular online game, that is (Warzone/Fall Guys). Then I'd argue you're getting the worst experience, constantly frustrated by hackers. Hence many of us disable crossplay these days.

Also, isn't it annoying having to use multiple storefronts/libraries on PC?

But anyway, I'm stuck with Sony unless Steam finds a way to magically transfer my 700 platinum trophies

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What happened to gaf, one could ask with your logic applied to the threads it gets. Why single out that one week? Why not the weeks Alyx or the Resident Evil remakes or the AOE remasters or whatever big games released? Heck, Cyberpunk is up there atm and it aint even out just yet. What system do you have that has a big list of awesome releases every single week and what does it matter if there'd be no time to care about and play that many games anyway, lol, there are already too many to play without expecting that kind of density to the launch schedule on most platforms.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I'd assume it has something to do with most of the "PC master RaCe" folk are so elitist that they don't want people to have fun with their games, they are supposed to look down on less powerful consoles and snicker, but gaming has changed and all the kiddo games are what is hot, and you don't need a 5k PC to play most of this stuff anymore. So they have a giant overpriced box that plays the same Fortnite and Fall Guys that the guy on Xbox, Switch, Playstation, tablet, etc can play.

Exactly this. The last couple of days have been pathetic here with them shitting on the PS5 and XSX non stop but the truth is they have no games that take advantage of their overpriced hardware so they go around laughing at console exclusives. "Lol we already have that on PC it's called ultra settings lol lol imagine paying for that lel".

So insecure in their superiority complex.

I said the same thing, then this guy thought I was bullshitting when I said that. Asked for citations and everything, no response.

Average PC does not have a GPU as capable as the X1X GPU which is on par with a RX580.

Forget the PS5 and XSX.

1060>580 so again, please back up your statements, and don't run away this time.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

unless you're playing a popular online game, that is (Warzone/Fall Guys). Then I'd argue you're getting the worst experience, constantly frustrated by hackers. Hence many of us disable crossplay these days.

Also, isn't it annoying having to use multiple storefronts/libraries on PC?

But anyway, I'm stuck with Sony unless Steam finds a way to magically transfer my 700 platinum trophies

I don't play a lot of mp games, the closest is Destiny but even then I don't really play crucible so hackers are never really a concern for myself. But I know they exist so I'm not trying to dismiss your point.

Multiple storefronts is an inconvenience at worse, but this is for the most part mitigated cause everything either launches on steam or comes to out shortly after. For the handful of games that might be on EPIC it doesn't bother me that much to have to click a couple of extra buttons to get to the game. Also GOG 2.0 again mitigates a lot of this cause you can link multiple launchers to one and use GOG exclusively to launch all your games. The only part where this gets a bit sidetracked is if say a Steam game or any other launcher outside of GOG needs updating then you need to update the game through that launcher and then you can go back to using GOG exclusively. But I think they are trying to add a way to even do updates strictly through the GOG platform.

DeaDPo0L84

I don't play any of those games personally and I enjoy having a high end pc to play the AAA 3rd party titles so I have access to more customization and mods depending on the game. I typically used Destiny 2 as the game of choice to drive this point home. The ability to play @ a consistent 120fps while maxing out the fov with g-sync completely changes the game. I had played it for over 500 hours on a PS4 Pro before and it was the game that actually got me to build my first gaming PC late last year. Since then I have tried multiple 3rd party AA/AAA games and they have typically all felt like an entirely different experience. But I also respect that people can view and experience these differences and not deem them worth the extra funds to get that result, THAT IS PERFECTLY FINE. For this gen I will be PC/PS5/Switch so I don't miss out on any major exclusive and can continue to play all the 3rd party games on PC where for me that offers the best experience.

We all bought bleeding edge SLI systems after the optimizations for a single extra card allowed for a 45% performance increase, with 3 allowing for a 135% performance increase - what's the point in hanging around console gamers anymore.

Alphagear

I said the same thing, then this guy thought I was bullshitting when I said that. Asked for citations and everything, no response.

1060>580 so again, please back up your statements, and don't run away this time.

What about the 1060?

First only 12% of steam users have this GPU. That is a minority of users.

Secondly the 580 is on par with a 1060.

What about the 1060?

First only 12% of steam users have this GPU. That is a minority of users.

Secondly the 580 is on par with a 1060.
The average PC gamer has that card. There are users with much better cards than that. The 580 is it's competitor, doesn't mean they are on par. Most times the 1060 comes comes out on top. Compare those cards to the same game on console and it's even more of a difference.

Alphagear

The average PC gamer has that card. There are users with much better cards than that. The 580 is it's competitor, doesn't mean they are on par. Most times the 1060 comes comes out on top. Compare those cards to the same game on console and it's even more of a difference.
11% of steam users have the 1060 from the latest figures in August.

That is not your average PC gamer.

About the 1060 beating the 580

rWjRj13.png

P1S2FOl.png

Last edited:
11% of steam users have the 1060 from the latest figures in August.

That is not your average PC gamer.

About the 1060 beating the 580

rWjRj13.png

P1S2FOl.png
Well I'll be damned. When they release, 1060 was beating 580, but I guess that's fine wine. But either way, you forgot to bring console variants in vs both those cards, which beat x1x, which beats ps4pro, which is also what the average PC gamer has. My point still stands though.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Well I'll be damned. When they release, 1060 was beating 580, but I guess that's fine wine. But either way, you forgot to bring console variants in vs both those cards, which beat x1x, which beats ps4pro, which is also what the average PC gamer has. My point still stands though.

On the flip side, Games are far more optimised on consoles.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Once you play on PC long enough, you let go of all the weird power obsessed insecurities which are circling the next gen machines right now. You just sorta upgrade when theres something you wanna play which you cant run ideally. Tech moves too fast, theres no proper gen cycles.

We have the power, we'd just rather play Kotor, Minion Masters, or Half Life 2 again. PC gamers are sorta enlightened in that sense. We have it too good almost.

DryvBy

I'm here on my gaming PC and I'm going to throw this out: I actually agree. I can't think of a single reason to own a 3080. My 1080 has been fine since day one. I haven't ran into problems playing anything. Sure, I'm missing ray tracing which I'd love (mostly for Quake 2 RTX) but I have zero desire to upgrade because games on PC aren't system wrecking anymore.

PC gaming used to have AAA exclusives that consoles couldn't touch without rebuilding the game or making huge sacrifices. Now? I can't believe that I have a much more powerful system than an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro yet the best looking games I've seen are from Naughty Dog, Gears 5, id Software, etc.. and they all run fine. I'd even be happy with some crazy looking RTS games but those died thanks to MOBA crap.

Vaelka

Watch that change when Cyberpunk is released.
What game even came out this week?

PC also just has way more games than consoles do, and way more affordable games.
Very little of my gaming time is actually spent on big titles, and big titles are what a fancy GPU is for.
Darkest Dungeon for example is a great game, very well-received and fun.
But it doesn't require a fancy GPU.
That doesn't make it any less of a good game...

I dunno why console fanboys keep talking about this as if AAA or now '' AAAA '' is the only thing that matters, they're severely overrated imho.
I've gotten so much more enjoyment out of a lot of smaller titles than pretty much any AAA game.

On the flip side, Games are far more optimised on consoles.

That depends entirely on the game...
Consoles are also generally locked at a lower framerate while PC isn't.
Easier to optimize for a lower framerate and even if it's better optimized you can often still get better performance on PC regardless.

Last edited:

Keihart

If my memory doesn't fail me, it was 480 vs 1060, and the 1060 won most of the time by a hair. 580 was a little while latter, no?
I remember because this were the first gen of cards with the VR ready tag which was 970 or superior in theory.

Last edited:
If my memory doesn't fail me, it was 480 vs 1060, and the 1060 won most of the time by a hair. 580 was a little while latter, no?
I remember because this were the first gen of cards with the VR ready tag which was 970 or superior in theory.
That sounds about right I was wrong.

PC owners have been shafted worse over the last couple of years than I've ever seen before. I can't remember exactly but I remember PC gaming hitting a funk about 20 years ago and then it came back big.

Now I feel sorry for them because they're being sold out. Why make games for PC when companies can sell them old shit, free to play jank and the odd token game.

Though the PC is the best place for VR at the moment, so swings and roundabouts I suppose

MrFunSocks

Banned
Well, hard to agree with one of the best games of all time released this year.

Ed1mCEzWkAEcm_8.jpg
Imagine unironically using Metacritic user reviews to say a game is good lol.

Go have a look at the actual user reviews. Go on. They're 99% fanboys with either only 1 review - GOT @ 10/10, 2 reviews - GOT @ 10 and TLOU @ 0, or just full of PS4 exclusive 10s and XB1 exclusive 0s.

Metacritic user scores are a dumpster fire.

PC owners have been shafted worse over the last couple of years than I've ever seen before. I can't remember exactly but I remember PC gaming hitting a funk about 20 years ago and then it came back big.

Now I feel sorry for them because they're being sold out. Why make games for PC when companies can sell them old shit, free to play jank and the odd token game.

Though the PC is the best place for VR at the moment, so swings and roundabouts I suppose
If any of us felt shafted, we would have compromised to limited FOV, barely 30fps, and low rez textures. We haven't, no matter how much you try to keep pushing some weird agenda, or having self pride/ego issues.

Keep fighting the war though bro. 💪 💪 💪 💪 You single handedly got this! Maybe you'll convince one of us.... One day.....

Top Bottom