• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to pc master race?

DJT123

Ok I must of been basing it of older stats. But what you’re saying isn’t true at all. Not even 2% of the steam user base plays at 4K. This is old to so I expect that number to be higher.

The PC base is so huge that even a couple percent (from those who actually took the poll) means more than mid-gen refresh console gamers.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I used to be a PC gamer back when PC gaming was pure... full of real PC games like C&C and Homeworld.
Only thing I see that appeals to me now is CK3.
In that top 10 list? Maybe.
But when you look beyond whatever the current trend is (which will generally be more casual than anything else), you can find more great games than ever before, made by small studios or indies.

Honestly, as soon as you stop giving a fuck about whatever is currently trending or has the latest graphics, you're in for a really great gaming experience - I assume this is also the case on console, though.
The biggest problem doesn't lie in not enough games - the problem lies in way too many games existing and finding the ones just right for you.

Funny thing is that daggerfall actually does have more in depth systems than a lot of modern rpgs. From making your own spells to entire political systems you could deeply involve yourself in
Exactly this.
Obv. graphics and story can't compare, but gameplay?
W3 is mostly just "press awesome button to make awesome stuff happen" without any challenge (only the highest difficulty adds some challenge, and only by inflating numbers to absurd amounts to have you one-hit-killed) and builds all play pretty much identical. It's good enough to carry you through the story.

But Daggerfall has good enough gameplay to carry me through its lack of a story (honestly, it's so forgettable I even forgot what the story was lol) - a much greater achievement for a game IMO.
There are more varied character builds in Daggerfall than in many modern "RPGs" (gotta use quotation marks as most are really only action games with some mild stats on top) combined.
And then the mentioned spell-making (which extends to crafting, btw.), the large procedural dungeons (for the time, these were absolutely insane, nowadays they do lack some design thought behind them), politics (gameplay-relevant politics, not just bits in cutscenes as in W3), ...

Just a month or two ago, I was riding on my flying horse in my "regenerate magic when hit by spells" armor, throwing poisoning lightning bolts at enemies below.
None of which had to be specifically put in place or scripted by developers, all of it was simply a possible variant of the existing systems in place in the game.

It does come with a lot of "old game" baggage, yes, but nowadays most of these you can simply disable via Daggerfall Unity.
E.g. disable that horrible attack-swinging and just swing on attack, improved interface, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I loved playing W3 for the world and story, but its gameplay is painfully mediocre and doesn't warrant a second playthrough at all.

This is now "the thread about everything", correct?
So... what do you think about sourdough bread? I make my own.

Last edited:

Vick

Can't say much about GoT since i haven't seen much of it, but this clearly has more complexity than GOW

Yeah, clearly. As clear as Silent Hill.

Dude, you don’t have to post videos to me because i’ve played it.
But considering we really are comparing an FPS (groundbreaking at the time no doubt) to action games because we fucking jumped the shark and then some, in Crysis you can kill enemies by throwing them, punch them, shoot them, throwing objects to them, run them over, making things explode next to them.

Now, you really want me to list you all the ways you can kill enemies (all kinds of different enemies, with different type of attacks and defenses which require different approaches) in GoW, between all the different melee, shield, axe, blades, Atreus, runic and throwing attacks? Dude, i won’t, because it would take a fucking hour no joke.

And they failed apparently
As you said:

“As i said, people are free to choose what they believe.”

Some would disagree. But we all know they can’t be trusted because they’re either paid, or shills, or fanboys, or attention seekers and bla, bla, bla.

And they became RPG-lite instead of DMC-lite now apparently.
Though we were talking about combat?

Don't do that man
Of course not.

I don’t have Twitter.

Linear and more complex games each have their respectives advantages. A more linear approach would do GOW good since that would mean possibly more challenging enemies and more interesting situations.
Nah, they’re not going to give free weapons to haters. This damn game is already called interactive movie, can you imagine what would be said in that case? “Interactive cutscene”, maybe?

And these fart are more relevant than your breakdown here.
If you say so.

Like a said, you try to prove what? A brawler has combos? No shit. An RPG doesn't have great combat? No shit.
Man are you being stupid on purpose or what?

How many more times you want to hear it was a response to someone saying said RPG had deeper combat?

Stop being so stubborn, you respond to a guy who tries to counter-argument you with a CRPG. It even worse and yet you still respond to him, What do you have to prove?
Why on Earth should i not respond to someone being wrong, when in the middle of a conversation, on a message board?

Because it smashes an overused narrative? Why does it bother you so much instead, that would be a reasonable question.

And for the cinematic experience...Some Gaffer are wrong about a statement who cares? So you have to fight with them because a dumb Gaffer says something dumb about a game you like? grow up
Some gaffers.. sure. Well, read a bit more my boy. And in case you haven’t noticed, again, this is a gaming message board, gaming discussions are the only purpose for this place to exist.
Your pointless contributions and insecurity galleries though? Not so much.

Plus tell me where Guilty_AI talk about GoT or GoW in the first place?

In the this very Thread. And the other one i’ve linked. And many others for that matter.

what the problem with being an cinematic or interactive movie ?
Nothing i guess, i just don’t like Telltale and David Cage games. Last one i enjoyed was Heavy Rain, more than ten years ago.

you can say that to Uncharted, it is a bad thing ?
You mean the sandbox TPS with hub open areas you drive vehicles to traverse and side activities and competitive and co-operative multiplayer?

There is nothing wrong with that.
There is to me though, i don’t fucking like those games.

And about RE4HD, what you are for the project ? if you are the creator of this project, I'm grateful.
No, of course not. I’ve just supported them since the start, but i can say for a fact at least some shadows were added because of my input.
Was obviously kidding with the grateful and admiration part, but as i see sadly some people really have no sense of humor.

Stop being so insecure.
Plenty of insecurities in this Thread papi, that ain’t me.

Top Bottom