• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to pc master race?

Er, what are those numerous awesome publishers that PC doesn't get support from in favor of of jank and old shit? It's even getting all major Japanese developer and even first party console manufacturer games these days and all those "console exclusive" titles the term was made up for. Lol?
MIssing the point entirely, but whatever. I'm done going in circles with people who don't want to/can't see the point i'm trying to make. So it's probably best to roll with the other PC dudes and call me a Sony worshipping idiot.

It saves me having to read any more posts.
After abandoning ms-dos and windows 9x legacy and bc, pc gaming had to reset.
I remember during that time many pc gamers had switched to consoles. I also got a Dreamcast and used pc mainly for old ms-dos games and emulation and unique games like virtual pool 3. Notice that prior to dosbox you had to use third party sound virtualization software on winxp for ms-dos.

It was that time where developers moved to consoles and arcade ports stopped for good..
Thank you for this explanation, it makes a lot of sense.

It's strange how most devs have 'abandoned' PC-centric games in favour of Console>PC ports. Even stranger when the cycle is PC>console>PC

Guilty_AI

Calling basic gameplay God of War and Ghost of Tsushima, while praising Mafia and Max Payne and enjoying Witcher 3 combat and lite version of these games like Fallen Order.
Man this place can be such a fucking cesspool it makes Resetera look attracting. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
And where did you see me praising those games? I think they're really basic too, The witcher 3 in particular has some quite horrible system design choices. I was thinking stuff like platinum games, souls games, some CRPGs and hack'n'slashes, as well as some indie and older titles.

Life

Isn't someone gonna tell him?

People are gonna buy the 3000 series so they can stream those games on Twitch - not even BUY OR PLAY THEM!

Does anyone agree that, despite how great it is that consoles games have been getting ported far more in recent years than they have ever been - The transition of port's from console to PC has actually hurt PC gaming as it's thrown our trajectory off?

Meaning, I logged into servers supporting BF 1942 with over 100 players on both sides.

Had that trajectory remained in tact PC MP games would now support 300 vs 300 player bouts at minimum.

Instead PC gaming took a huge step backwards to a 32 vs 32 MP standard with CoD and other Console first ports.

I really believe if it were the other way around and console gamers were stillllll begging to see PC games ported to console, PC games would support
massive 300 vs 300 player maps and multiplayer scenarios - probably up to 500 vs 500.

The only games that currently support massive battles are games no one has reallllly heard of outside of die hard PC enthusiast like

The PC gaming community should be outraged that newer games don't support 300 vs 300 man multiplayer maps natively as the PC trajectory originally established, and I'm serious. We instead were forced backward's into 16 vs 16 and 32 vs 32 - in some cases 4 v4 and 8 v 8 which has really hurt PC multiplayer gaming. Had that trajectory remained and 300 vs 300 were common imagine what type of games would utilize that capacity!

Vick

And where did you see me praising those games? I think they're really basic too, The witcher 3 in particular has some quite horrible system design choices. I was thinking stuff like platinum games, souls games, some CRPGs and hack'n'slashes, as well as some indie and older titles.
Yet The Witcher 3 is undeniably a masterpiece and one of the best games of all time, rightfully praised by ever PC gamer (those who not praise W3 stinks anyway), even while being a more “Narrative driven experience” than GoW, having a 10th of the depth in gameplay mechanics, and a more linear exploration despite it’s size.. and even if, compared to it, Ghost of Tsushima in contrast have an insanely deep combat and many more actions to perform while playing.

Also next time, if you want to downplay God of War, be sure to never mention the Souls games, which saying are extremely more limited in their combat compared to it would be an understatement to say the least, and are games which could be easily dismissed in a million of different ways (i love them btw).

It’s all about damn double standards and seeing reality under distorted lenses.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Yet The Witcher 3 is undeniably a masterpiece and one of the best games of all time, rightfully praised by ever PC gamer (those who not praise W3 stinks anyway), even while being a more “Narrative driven experience” than GoW, having a 10th of the depth in gameplay mechanics, and a more linear exploration despite it’s size.. and even if, compared to it, Ghost of Tsushima in contrast have an insanely deep combat and many more actions to perform while playing.

Also next time, if you want to downplay God of War, be sure to never mention the Souls games, which saying are extremely more limited in their combat compared to it would be an understatement to say the least, and are games which could be easily dismissed in a million of different ways (i love them btw).

It’s all about damn double standards and seeing reality under distorted lenses.
If you think gow is a masterpiece, of course you'll think the witcher 3 is also one, since they're similar in the manner that both have a strong focus on presentation. And you say souls game are extremely more limited, even though you can, for starters, choose different classes or different types of weapons. I honestly can't see what you're calling gameplay depth here.

Last edited:

Vick

If you think gow is a masterpiece, of course you'll think the witcher 3 is also one, since they're similar in the manner that both have a strong focus on presentation
Ahem.. no? I consider W3 a masterpiece because i’m able to recognize one when i see it, and it has nothing to do with presentation. And as a matter of fact, i can objectively list an immense number of issues with it while honestly having an incredibly hard time in listing objective faults in Ghost of Tsushima or God of War for instance. And i think that’s why they are dismissed as “cinematic” by fanboys, because if they had any other real issues you can be damn sure they would be on the mouth of haters 24/24.

Keep in mind PS4 GoW is one of my least favourite in the series btw.

And you say souls game are extremely more limited, even though you can, for starters, choose different classes or different types of weapons. I honestly can't see what you're calling gameplay depth here
I said combat is extremely more limited, and i wonder how you could possibly disagree on this with the amount of insanity you can pull of in GoW. And you can also alter all of your stats in many different ways in it, so i’m not sure what you’re suggesting there.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Ahem.. no? I consider W3 a masterpiece because i’m able to recognize one when i see it, and it has nothing to do with presentation.
Sure mate, everyone is entitled to having an opinion. Its like farts, or ugly children.

I said combat is extremely more limited, and i wonder how you could possibly disagree on this with the amount of insanity you can pull of in GoW. And you can also alter all of your stats in many different ways in it, so i’m not sure what you’re suggesting there.
And combat == gameplay in these games no? For the most part at least. I have no idea what you mean by "insanity" in gow, its either scripted events or straightforward fights.

Oh wait, i know, you're one of those players that actually believe in the smoke and mirrors devs put up in those games. Sure, those awesome cinematic-looking sequence were totally you playing the game and not a series of events carefully designed to happen exactly that way with minimum player agency. Nothing wrong with having dreams like that as long as you're enjoying yourself i guess.

Last edited:

PapyDoc

I said combat is extremely more limited, and i wonder how you could possibly disagree on this with the amount of insanity you can pull of in GoW
God Hand masterpiece 10/10 would play it again thanks bro to confirm it.

Vick

And combat == gameplay in these games no? For the most part at least. I have no idea what you mean by "insanity" in gow, its either scripted events or straightforward fights. Oh wait, i know, you're one of those players that actually believe in the smoke and mirrors devs put up in those games. Sure, those awesome cinematic looking sequence were totally you playing the game and not a series of events carefully designed to happen exactly that way with minimum player agency.
Dude, what the everlovingfuck are talking about? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Etc. Etc. Etc.

You think i’m so dumb i was talking about scripts, for fuck sake?
If anything that would be describing Bayonetta, lol.
Please, really, if you don’t know what you’re talking about stop wasting my time and spare me this kind of nonsense.
There’s an “ignore” function if you don’t like hearing facts, i beg you to use it.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
We need a PC old-timer signal, Batman! Call some guy to swoop in and lecture us how Daggerfall is superior to the Witcher.

Last edited:

PapyDoc

Etc. Etc. Etc.

You think i’m so dumb i was talking about scripts?
Please, if you don’t know what you’re talking about stop wasting my time.

Ow shit God of War got some combos, a brawler has combos, incredible, mindblowing, the revolution of the century, the real shit.

Ok God Of War look sick and sound incredible, but in term of combat, it's the bare minimum for the genra. Why you guys compare Dark Souls, Witcher 3 and GOW in the first place ? These are not the same type of games.

Last edited:

WolfusFh

Why are people so insecure about where others choose to play games? What the actual fuck is even the point of this thread? Grow the fuck up, play what you want where you want.

Most of the discussions in this forum turns into this silly pointless console war crap.
"Lol you sony fanboys lost lol". "Lol suck on that pc mustard race lol".

I don't know why this is relevant, since the idea is that you can chose to buy whatever you like the most or what fits your condition (gaming in some countries might be absurdly expensive). And then you have fun.

I wish there were other companies with more consoles and a bigger share in the market just so people (maybe) could shut up about this.

Guilty_AI

Etc. Etc. Etc.

You think i’m so dumb i was talking about scripts, for fuck sake?
If anything that would be describing Bayonetta, lol.
Please, really, if you don’t know what you’re talking about stop wasting my time and spare me this kind of nonsense.
There’s an “ignore” function if you don’t like hearing facts, i beg you to use it.

Wow, thats a lot of sparks. So combat depth now is having lots shine and special visual effects?

Guilty_AI

We need a PC old-timer signal, Batman! Call some guy to swoop in and lecture us how Daggerfall is superior to the Witcher.
Funny thing is that daggerfall actually does have more in depth systems than a lot of modern rpgs. From making your own spells to entire political systems you could deeply involve yourself in

Last edited:

Vick

Guy 1 says GoW combat is not deeper than Souls.

Guy 2 posts quick video evidence it is.

Fangirls go all “LMAO why are even comparing it to the Souls” and all sorts of meltdowns.

This Thread keeps on delivering. Entertaining stuff.

Wow, thats a lot of sparks. So combat depth now is having lots shine and special visual effects?
tenor.gif

Yes man, shine, visual effects and rainbows and unicorns.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Well, there is a case to be made.

When Daggerfall came out it pushed the envelope like a motherfucker. It was so damn buggy because it was ambitious as all hell. There was nothing that came even close to entering the same arena, (hur hur) much less compete at all.

The Witcher 3 is great, but revolutionary? ambitious? Open world fatigue was already setting in when it was released.

So there's a discussion there. Refinement vs pushing the envelope so hard it snapped in two.

Guilty_AI

Fangirls go all “LMAO why are even comparing it to the Souls” and all sorts of meltdowns.

tenor.gif

Sure mate:messenger_ok: keep your "deep" systems full of "revolutionary" brawler combos and bright lights. Meanwhile i'll be checking out games that allow you to build fucking 3D game engines using nothing but in-game systems.

PapyDoc

tenor.gif

Go home man, you are drunk, take a deep breath.
Sorry but you are comparing Witcher 3 combat which is a RPG, not really the main focus, Dark Souls, a RPG, not really the focus and GoW a brawler. Of course combat on GoW will be better by default. That's not a surprise for everyone.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Imagine having actual fun games on the best seller / most played list and complain about it.
They complain about not having to be locked to 20~30fps, lower resolutions, slow ass analog stick aiming + dual claw grip, paid online, no mod support, no paid retrocomp, etc... All the limitations of console gaming are all amazing.

Last edited:

Vick

Sure mate:messenger_ok: keep your "deep" systems full of "revolutionary" brawler combos and bright lights. Meanwhile i'll be checking out games that allow you to build fucking 3D game engines using nothing but in-game systems.

Have fun with it. (y)

The words God Of War and deep do not belong in the same sentence.
Oh look how hardcore i am on hating on mAiNsTrEaM console stuff..
Your stuck in the past decade i think mate, GoW is not DMC lite anymore.

tbf, the game can be somewhat fun. It at least has better combat than some other generic AAA out there. But deep? Nah
Oh, so i see you still haven’t quit on pretending having played the game, even after getting caught, lol.

Beat Sigrun on Give me God of War normal and NG+.. no one can’t come to me and say GoW’s combat is shallow, It takes effort to master and it’s rewarding as hell.

Found it to be pretty shallow actually. I was playing on hard and found out the most effective tactic was always to keep throwing the axe from a distance. Meleeing the enemies when there's more than 2 of them often wasn't worth the risk, and that would've been fine throwing the axe constantly didn't get old so quickly. Lack of enemy variety and difficulty based on damage-sponging didn't help either

That’s hilariously moronic, pardon me.. beating Sigrun by throwing axe on hard would mean spending a good hour or more on the fight, making it ten times more difficult than it already is since you wouldn't even have time to actually do it without being mercilessly attacked, using the least effective technique possible.
I find really, really hard to believe you actually played the game after this take, even more so considering what you said on multiple enemies, which just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

I played half of it and put it on hiatus since it bored me to death, so i didn't get to sigrun yet. WIth that said, that strategy worked perfectly fine with almost everything up to that point, even trolls who're supposed to be bosses.

And i actually did try to play without relying in that strategy since i figured it might be more fun that way. It didn't really played much different from other melee games like that, in fact it was worse because of that horrible camera that makes fighting while surrounded a pain in the ass.

You can easily tell he didn’t play the game. Just play along.

Whatever keeps you happy and entertained, no judge. Sure, with all the real masterpiece unknown to the world to be played, i find strange this is how you chose to spend you time. But as i said, no judge.

Go home man, you are drunk, take a deep breath.
Sorry but you are comparing Witcher 3 combat which is a RPG, not really the main focus, Dark Souls, a RPG, not really the focus and GoW a brawler. Of course combat on GoW will be better by default. That's not a surprise for everyone.
Oh so i’m the drunk one now, the only one making sense and holding a linear conversation..
This started here my dude:

I mean, i cant help it if those "objective masterpieces" often feel like very basic games with basic stories attached. If the best thing they have to offer over other games is the cimematic experience, with the animations, acting, visual artistry, etc. then calling them "interactive movies" isn't far from the truth.

:messenger_winking:

Oh I agree 100%, very fun and enjoyable game it just doesn’t contain deep combat mechanics.
So which game “contain deep combat mechanics” then, maybe there’s some Platinum, Capcom, Ninja Theory or From game that i’ve missed?

This thread is silly. PCs come in all shapes and sizes, the market for games that can run on a homework laptop is far larger than ray-traced graphical extravaganzas. Of course the chart is going to represent that. It’s just statistics.

GamesAreFun

Banned
PC is going to be left behind the console exclusives.

Xbox and PS4 developers can now depend on a super-fast SSD and great CPU. Whereas PC developers still have to account for laptops and slow HDD, since the majority of PC gamers actually own very mediocre specs, unless they're willing to cut out 75% of their potential customer base.

Guilty_AI

Oh, so i see you still haven’t quit on pretending having played the game, even after getting caught, lol.

Whatever keeps you happy and entertained, no judge. Sure, with all the real masterpiece unknown to the world to be played, i find strange this is how you chose to spend you time. But as i said, no judge.
I mean, you don't have to believe i played if you don't want to, opinions are free. Btw its still sitting there on hiatus, considering just dropping it altogether and getting the Gravity Rush series instead which seems much more interesting.

So which game “contain deep combat mechanics” then, maybe there’s some Platinum, Capcom, Ninja Theory or From game that i’ve missed?
How about one where beating your opponents to death with barrels and chests is a valid strategy?

PapyDoc

Oh so i’m the drunk one now, the only one making sense and holding a linear conversation..
This started here my dude:
From start you make no sense, you talk about games that can't match up with each other. Ai talk about games like TLOU for exemple and you respond with GoW and Ghost of Tsuchima. Who in the first place think those game are cinematic experience or interactive movies , like WTF man ?
And for what ? Bitching the combats of Witcher 3 even if he didn't talk about the game and Dark Souls even if he didn't talk about the game.

Vick

I mean, you don't have to believe i played if you don't want to, opinions are free. Btw its still sitting there on hiatus, considering just dropping it altogether and getting the Gravity Rush series instead which seems much more interesting.
Mind sharing your PSN then?

How about one where beating your opponents to death with barrels and chests is a valid strategy?

Which i could do in Crysis thirteen years ago, so Crysis had deep combat mechanics, but not GoW or GoT?
And is this what you wanted for GoW? The path Santa Monica should have taken when designing the combat mechanics?
What could be made to make GoW mechanics considered deep and improving it’s combat?

From start you make no sense
Says the guy debuting in the middle of a conversation with these farts:

God Hand masterpiece 10/10 would play it again thanks bro to confirm it.

Ow shit God of War got some combos, a brawler has combos, incredible, mindblowing, the revolution of the century, the real shit.

Who in the first place think those game are cinematic experience or interactive movies , like WTF man ?
Bruh.. are you actually shitting me or what?

I mean..

tenor.gif

You’re telling me you never read someone calling God of War or Ghost of Tsushima cinematic experiences or interactive movies, here on GAF?

Mate, they have been called such in every single Thread they’ve ever being mentioned since the day they were announced, not just released.
Every, single, one. This one included, multiple times.

Same for Spider-Man actually and you can find evidence in this very Thread, always assuming you don’t want me to put together for you a compilation which could fill an entire, Tolkien-like book. And there’s no hyperbole in this statement.

And for what ? Bitching the combats of Witcher 3 even if he didn't talk about the game and Dark Souls even if he didn't talk about the game.
I only mentioned games enjoyed and praised by the same people who always like to dismiss those games that i enjoy, and which i’d like to praise in what is supposed to be an enthusiast Forum and not a salty fanboys cove (wishful thinking) without being laughed at or called a fanboy just because they happen to be exclusives.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
My most played game on Steam has minimum specs that could be played on anything and has terrible graphics by today's standards.
Well a huge % if steam still isn’t even playing HD. Under 1080p gaming is actually the majority. You wouldn’t think so because the internets gotcha is “ I’ll just play it on pc”.

Guilty_AI

Which i could do in Crysis thirteen years ago, so Crysis had deep combat mechanics, but not GoW or GoT?
And is this what you wanted for GoW? The path Santa Monica should have taken when designing the combat mechanics?
What could be made to make GoW mechanics considered deep and improving it’s combat?
It did actually. It was deeper at least.
Santa Monica can do whatever the fuck they want, its their game. Basic combat systems without much depth aren't necessarely bad, although they very rarely are impressive. Personally, i think in this case it could've been better executed. More enemy and bosses variety, a camera that wasn't sticking out of Kratos bum, and ditching that dumb RPG-lite system for something more linear would've made the combat 3x better imo.

Last edited:

Vick

It did actually. It was deeper at least.
Crysis combat.. deeper than God of War or GoT? On what kind of drugs are you on right now, specifically?

Tell me. And give them to me.

Santa Monica can do whatever the fuck they want, its their game.
And you know what they wanted to do with GoW combat? Making it the best ever.

X5Gz.gif

Basic combat systems without much depth aren't necessarely bad, although they very rarely are impressive.
So you think they’re dumb, essentially? Dude, they had to deal with this exact bullshit since the days Nintendo had the graphics crown over any other system (think about that for a second), console warriors have been criticizing GoW games for being a lite version of DMC for more than a fucking decade. Entry, after entry, after entry, after entry, after entry.

With this reboot they chose to put an end on this once and for all. And they fucking delivered.

But actually no, according to you.
Which never played it.

Personally, i think in this case it could've been better executed. More enemy and bosses variety,
This is always welcome, finally some sense from you. Variety was not a real problem to be fair, while being totally in line with other games of the same genre, but real, huge boss battles lacked compared to the predecessors, i’ll give you this one.

camera that wasn't sticking out of Kratos bum
No thanks X1000. Indicators on screen and Mimir indications are more enough and if they dare to do something like this and mess with the systems i’ll send them death threats using Twitter.

and ditching that dumb RPG-lite system for something more linear would've made the combat 3x better imo.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

So next time you could say something like this and be actually right?

And you say souls game are extremely more limited, even though you can, for starters, choose different classes or different types of weapons.

200.gif

WRdWpW.gif

Guilty_AI

Crysis combat.. deeper than God of War or GoT? On what kind of drugs are you on right now, specifically?

Tell me. And give them to me.
Can't say much about GoT since i haven't seen much of it, but this clearly has more complexity than GOW

Btw, drug is MAXIMUM SPEED

And you know what they wanted to do with GoW combat? Making it the best ever.
And they failed apparently

So you think they’re dumb, essentially? Dude, they had to deal with this exact bullshit since the days Nintendo had the graphics crown over any other system (think about that for a second), console warriors have been criticizing GoW games for being a lite version of DMC for more than a fucking decade. Entry, after entry, after entry, after entry, after entry.

With this reboot they chose to put an end on this once and for all. And they fucking delivered.
And they became RPG-lite instead of DMC-lite now apparently.

But actually no, according to you.
Which never played it.
As i said, people are free to choose what they believe.

No thanks X1000. Indicators on screen and Mimir indications are more enough and if they dare to do something like this and mess with the systems i’ll send them death threats using Twitter.
Don't do that man

giphy-downsized-large.gif

So next time you could say something like this and be actually right?

200.gif

WRdWpW.gif
Linear and more complex games each have their respectives advantages. A more linear approach would do GOW good since that would mean possibly more challenging enemies and more interesting situations.

PapyDoc

Bruh.. are you actually shitting me or what?

I mean..

tenor.gif

You’re telling me you never read someone calling God of War or Ghost of Tsushima cinematic experiences or interactive movies, here on GAF?

Mate, they have been called such in every single Thread they’ve ever being mentioned since the day they were announced, not just released.
Every, single, one. This one included, multiple times.

Same for Spider-Man actually and you can find evidence in this very Thread, always assuming you don’t want me to put together for you a compilation which could fill an entire, Tolkien-like book. And there’s no hyperbole in this statement.

I only mentioned games enjoyed and praised by the same people who always like to dismiss those games that i enjoy, and which i’d like to praise in what is supposed to be an enthusiast Forum and not a salty fanboys cove (wishful thinking) without being laughed at or called a fanboy just because they happen to be exclusives.

And these fart are more relevant than your breakdown here. God Hand say everything you want but it is closer to GoW than Max Payne or Pokemon (If we go there).

Like a said, you try to prove what? A brawler has combos? No shit. An RPG doesn't have great combat? No shit. Stop being so stubborn, you respond to a guy who tries to counter-argument you with a CRPG. It even worse and yet you still respond to him, What do you have to prove? Stop being so insecure.

And for the cinematic experience...Some Gaffer are wrong about a statement who cares? So you have to fight with them because a dumb Gaffer says something dumb about a game you like? grow up, Plus tell me where Guilty_AI talk about GoT or GoW in the first place?
Since the start of your conversation, you seem angry about "interactive movie" what the problem with being an cinematic or interactive movie ? you can say that to Uncharted, it is a bad thing ? No, it a great Indiana Jones-like adventure.
There is nothing wrong with that. If some people think GoW it's a cinematic experience because the game looks gorgeous, good for them, does that mean GoW it's a bad game ? No.

And about RE4HD, what you are for the project ? if you are the creator of this project, I'm grateful. if not, you are as useful as me when i give some money to gemini and Classic Rebirth (Make the OG RE playable on a modern system, link here ) I don't think people should be grateful for that. mostly because I do that for myself, I believe on this project and think gemini do a great job.

DJT123

Well a huge % if steam still isn’t even playing HD. Under 1080p gaming is actually the majority. You wouldn’t think so because the internets gotcha is “ I’ll just play it on pc”.
Citation, please? Also, there are More players on Steam with higher specs than the Pro or X.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Citation, please? Also, there are More players on Steam with higher specs than the Pro or X.
Ok I must of been basing it of older stats. But what you’re saying isn’t true at all. Not even 2% of the steam user base plays at 4K. This is old to so I expect that number to be higher.

Top Bottom