• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Joy of being part of the Master Race....

marquimvfs

The thing is, pc gaming isn't as straightforward as console gaming, full stop. The real problem is the level of patience, perseverance, technical knowledge and the will to play the said problematical title. I've been tinkering with pc for almost 30 years and have faced many many problems over generations, and everytime I've managed to overcome them. And I guess that's what evangelists talk about when praising the platform, the ability to play whatever you really (really!) want in it. You will face problems? Sure! Maybe will need to crack a thing you bought legally? Of course! Will maybe wait for a patch or an updated driver? Probably... The thing is, for us that enjoy tinkering with pcs, it's not an annoyance as it looks for those who don't like the platform, and we may oversell it on it's advantages (and there are many). But not everyone likes to mess with things in order to make games work. For those I just say, without being rude or sarcastic, stay on consoles. You will be much happier with the process, no matter how less straightforward consoles are now compared to 2 to 3 generations ago... Pc is improving with storefronts like Steam and Epic, but it is still far from the simplicity of consoles and the advantages aren't worth it when you don't enjoy the whole process of dealing with an open platform.

Chiggs

This is exactly why I dislike discussing anything PC on GAF. The moment you dare mention any issues people will directly mock you or personally attack/belittle you.

Truth.

MUH PC! Bros can't handle even the slightest critiques about their platform, or any complaint about it's ease of use...or lack thereof. You'll always get some variation of: "Works fine for me/Check PC Gaming Wiki/The problem is between the keyboard and chair."

I don't know what's worse, the obnoxious responses these basement jetsetters spew out when their goddess weathers an insult, or how they pivot into complete snake oil salesmen when it's time to convert someone into a PC Gamer.

"Oh, sure, building a pc the first time will be totally easy! An hour or so, tops!"

"Oh, sure, a good gaming rig will really only set you back $500 or $600 dollars; just look a this PCPartPickers list I made that conveniently excludes system fans, an AIO, a gaming mouse and gaming keyboard, and the cost of Windows!"

I think I'm going to make a thread about PC Gaming Bullshit and use direct examples from GAF and Reddit. It might take some time, but the result should be a lot of fun.

Stop playing shit games, OP. Good games typically don't come with their own launchers.

This is like the video game version of "she got raped because she was wearing slutty clothing."

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The thing is, pc gaming isn't as straightforward as console gaming, full stop. The real problem is the level of patience, perseverance, technical knowledge and the will to play the said problematical title. I've been tinkering with pc for almost 30 years and have faced many many problems over generations, and everytime I've managed to overcome them. And I guess that's what evangelists talk about when praising the platform, the ability to play whatever you really (really!) want in it. You will face problems? Sure! Maybe will need to crack a thing you bought legally? Of course! Will maybe wait for a patch or an updated driver? Probably... The thing is, for us that enjoy tinkering with pcs, it's not an annoyance as it looks for those who don't like the platform, and we may oversell it on it's advantages (and there are many). But not everyone likes to mess with things in order to make games work. For those I just say, without being rude or sarcastic, stay on consoles. You will be much happier with the process, no matter how less straightforward consoles are now compared to 2 to 3 generations ago... Pc is improving with storefronts like Steam and Epic, but it is still far from the simplicity of consoles and the advantages aren't worth it when you don't enjoy the whole process of dealing with an open platform.
This post is perfect. It encapsulates the best years I had with pc gaming.
Problems are fun and engaging. You learn. Almost makes me want to go back to pc gaming :p

marquimvfs

I don't think anyone really likes tinkering (except with mods), the catch is that the advantages of tinkering far exceeds the disadvantages, except maybe in rare cases.
Oh, my friend. Many times, the process of making something old run on my machine was funnier than the game itself. You don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
FaPOGYt.jpeg

Just spend $500 plus an Online Subscription to play a PC game. Brilliant lol

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Here it is, maybe pc isn't for you. Like i saidin my post. There's nothing wrong with not enjoying the process.
Here it is again: "the catch is that the advantages of tinkering far exceeds the disadvantages, except maybe in rare cases."

Chiggs

Almost 35 years worth of PC building here and I still have no idea where some of you guys find all your supposed problems in 2024. I'm just fucking flabbergasted that there are people out there who has much of an issue at all. Seriously. PC gaming is so "boring" these days. Unless of course all you do all day is shuffling in and out questionable software, and drivers for ten thousand different attached shoddy devices on shitty hardware.

With 35 years of PC building behind you, there's a good chance that:
  1. you're quite experienced
  2. you tolerate and fix bullshit that others simply can't...or don't have the time to
  3. you're an old craggy bastard that screams and cries about how weak and entitled everyone is these days, which is kind of true, but you're also probably forgetting your own "tender" moments.

Guilty_AI

I mean, Origin EA Store, uPlay Ubisoft Connect, Social Club and Microsoft Store are the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse when it comes to PC gaming.

Whenever you have to deal with them, its almost certain you're going to have a bad time. I avoid them like a plague these days.

Last edited:
I reinstalled gta 4 recently to put some mods on it. Downgrade to the 1.0.8 version (if I recall) and there's a way to effectively boot the game without the launcher. But beware of texture mods, you either mod the world or the cars, the engine can't cope with that much modding

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Well, compared to every game availabe in storefronts that are current generation, how many games couldn't you play on your pc? How many of them you could play om current platform consoles, even with tinkering?
I can't remember a single game I could not play. Not sure what is the point of your second question but I never tinkered anything on current consoles.

marquimvfs

I can't remember a single game I could not play. Not sure what is the point of your second question but I never tinkered anything on current consoles.
Edit:
Nevermind. I got you better re-reading your post. Yes, there's advantages on tinkering, we agree.
But i really believe there's fun in tinkering, and some people here and all folks I know in person agree with me.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I mean, Origin EA Store, uPlay Ubisoft Connect, Social Club and Microsoft Store are the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse when it comes to PC gaming.

Whenever you have to deal with them, its almost certain you're going to have a bad time. I avoid them like a plague these days.
I think nothing comes close to the MS store, not by a mile. I'm convinced that every time I tried to start either Forza game it would internally throw a dice to decide whether the game would boot and which error message it would display. Probably a d20.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I think nothing comes close to the MS store, not by a mile. I'm convinced that every time I tried to start either Forza game it would internally throw a dice to decide whether the game would boot and which error message it would display. Probably a d20.
I remember getting FH3 8 years ago on the MS store and the download would randomly give an error... then it would start over from the beginning.......

You know, there are tons of people here who love complaining about how PC gaming is complicated or how getting any game to run needs this engineering degree. In my experience though, the vast majority of these problems don't come from the platform itself but from publisher's shitty practices. Oh, this old game keeps crashing or refusing to start? Extremely high chance its some outdated DRM fucking it up.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I've been building PCs and playing games on them for over 20 years, nice try though.

This is exactly why I dislike discussing anything PC on GAF. The moment you dare mention any issues people will directly mock you or personally attack/belittle you.

Keep whining you loser-ass gobbler of chode.

Did I do it right?

Skifi28

You know, there are tons of people here who love complaining about how PC gaming is complicated or how getting any game to run needs this engineering degree. In my experience though, the vast majority of these problems don't come from the platform itself but from publisher's shitty practices. Oh, this old game keeps crashing or refusing to start? Extremely high chance its some outdated DRM fucking it up.
Is the open platform at fault for being open or those "abusing" it? Or maybe they wouldn't be here at all to abuse it if it wasn't open. It's a chicken and egg thing, I don't think it really matters which side is at fault. I'm not even sure there are two sides. In the end you're just going to run into more issues on an open platform as expected (much like you can also do many more things you can't anywhere else). I just don't like the current trend I often see here of recommending everyone builds a PC while pretending it's all perfect. Especially in the threads where some users will twist themselves into knots to recommened the cheapest hardware possible to match console prices. Yeah, that's not ending well. We could blame it on publishers and bad ports instead of the platform, but the result will be the same regardless. I just think we could stand to be a little more open about the realities and potential issues of PC gaming instead of the usual "master race" bullshit I see daily where people have come to actually believe it to the point they give others bad advice.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I don't think anyone really likes tinkering (except with mods), the catch is that the advantages of tinkering far exceeds the disadvantages, except maybe in rare cases.
I kind of used to like the tinkering back in the 90s and early 00s, but the older I get and the more time I spend working at computers, the less I want to tinker. Any impediment to actually playing a game in my free time is something I actively avoid, which is why most of my time is spent on console these days.

Kind of makes me wonder what a lot of the older PCMR dudes do for a day job, because my brain is fucking done at the end of the work day.

Guilty_AI

Is the open platform at fault for being open or those "abusing" it? Or maybe they wouldn't be here at all to abuse it if it wasn't open. It's a chicken and egg thing, I don't think it really matters which side is at fault. I'm not even sure there are two sides. In the end you're just going to run into more issues on an open platform as expected. I just don't like the current trend I often see here of recommending everyone builds a PC while pretending it's all perfect. Especially in the threads where some users will twist themselves into knots to recommened the cheapest hardware possible to match console prices. Yeah, that's not ending well. We could blame it on publishers and bad ports instead of the platform, but the result will be the same regardless. I just think we could stand to be a little more open about the realities and potential issues of PC gaming instead of the usual "master race" bullshit I see daily where people have come to actually believe it to the point they give others bad advice.
If it wasn't open you'd have to deal with a myriad of other issues, issues that can be reasons to avoid consoles altogether or limit what you get on them. It's a matter of what kind of problem you're willing to deal with.

I don't know all the kinds of recommendations people give here when someone wants to get into PC gaming, i personally try to be truthful and never saw anything outrageous being said on the site, but i don't doubt it's there somewhere. Its just the way of the internet.

To complement, i constantly see the idea that consoles are this pur-ferct platform with everything working out of the box being constantly parroted here, and nowhere near enough people calling the bullshit this is, and i'm pretty sure half of the people reading this will try to come up with some dumb excuse to say i'm wrong. Again, it's just the way of the internet.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If it wasn't open you'd have to deal with a myriad of other issues, issues that can be reasons to avoid consoles altogether or limit what you get on them. It's a matter of what kind of problem you're willing to deal with.

I don't know all the kinds of recommendations people give here when someone wants to get into PC gaming, i personally try to be truthful and never saw anything outrageous being said on the site, but i don't doubt it's there somewhere. Its just the way of the internet.

To complement, i constantly see the idea that consoles are this pur-ferct platform with everything working out of the box being constantly parroted here, and nowhere near enough people calling the bullshit this is, and i'm pretty sure half of the people reading this will try to come up with some dumb excuse to say i'm wrong. Again, it's just the way of the internet.
Your last paragraph is a bit harsh. Consoles don't have the same issues as pc.
Anecdotal but I don't think I had a single crash on ps5 and on ps4.... I mean I probably did but it's so rare, I can't recall.
Be it what you want, at the end of the day you put the disc in and play, patched or not. The console experience has been as perfect for me as can be considering console goals.
Where is the bs in that? Sure, the 360 had a ton of hardware problems but it was a bad hardware. Every hardware has issues or controllers stick drifts. We are not talking about this.

The console experience been as fine as it can be. if there are problems, it's usually the game fault. Rarely hardware or system level issues or user error/skill issues.
Aside from PSN. That UI and speed fucking suck asssssssss

Skifi28

Obivously there's bullshit from all directions and you will never be able to completely eliminate it being the internet and all, but I feel like things have been getting worse lately for whatever reason.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The ironic thing is that they some times can, like with Bloodborne.

Right? With a jailbroken PS5, that probably has to be before a particular firmware number, and then they’ve got to do whatever.

That’s beyond the “tinkering” we do. Or getting a VPN setup and a foreign address, changing regions, etc to get a cheap price on a game in another region.

Guilty_AI

Your last paragraph is a bit harsh. Consoles don't have the same issues as pc.
Anecdotal but I don't think I had a single crash on ps5 and on ps4.... I mean I probably did but it's so rare, I can't recall.
Be it what you want, at the end of the day you put the disc in and play, patched or not. The console experience has been as perfect for me as can be considering console goals.
Where is the bs in that? Sure, the 360 had a ton of hardware problems but it was a bad hardware. Every hardware has issues or controllers stick drifts. We are not talking about this.

The console experience been as fine as it can be. if there are problems,
Tell this to the people who just got Eiyuden Chronicles on the switch.

if there are problems, it's usually the game fault.
Oh right, the old ultimatum. If a game is broken on console its "lazy devs", but if a game is broken on PC its "lol mustard race get fucked"

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Tell this to the people who just got Eiyuden Chronicles on the switch.

Oh right, the old ultimatum. If a game is broken on console its "lazy devs", but if a game is broken on PC its "lol mustard race get fucked"
But you can’t deny there are way more aspects outside the game affecting the stability and all of that on pc. It is what it is.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Right? With a jailbroken PS5, that probably has to be before a particular firmware number, and then they’ve got to do whatever.

That’s beyond the “tinkering” we do. Or getting a VPN setup and a foreign address, changing regions, etc to get a cheap price on a game in another region.
60fps bloodborne is not usual tinkering. It’s a curiosity to see on the internet. No legit ps5 user is doing that.
This type of operation is absolutely not what’s needed to just play bloodborne. You are describing extra stuff. That’s like faulting a pc because a game might be hard to mod. Not fair
To play bloodborne nobody has to go through any extra steps. You put the disc in and go.

Last edited:

MikeM

As a PS5- PS1, Sega Genesis, Gameboy Color, Sega Game Gear, Xbox 360- Series X owner past and present, and a previous PC 6600GT and now current 7600x/7900xt owner…

Both platforms have their pros and cons. PC smashes things that console can’t touch, but console is undoubtedly the best bang for buck experience out there and is only getting better with 60-120fps all over the place.

I just started replaying Spiderman Remastered on my PC. Everything High+ settings 4k including RT and a little upscaling, and i’m running a far sharper image at 95-120 fps. Mindblowing and transformative compared to the console version. Now, does that mean the console version is bad? No- its very good. Just PC allows for it to be turned up another 50-100% depending on your wallet.

Older games are great on PC- except for some, so its not perfect. I can’t get Metal Gear Resurgence to run properly. One of the Metro games is a unplayable stutter fest for some reason. Whereas these are are playable on console (and upgraded on Series X).

Again- wins for both side. Where you value those wins is up to you. Both are viable.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For me, it's pretty simple.

If the game is fucked on PC, I can tinker as much as I want to, grab some community made patches, overclock the shit out it, etc.

If the game is fucked on console, I'm just as fucked.

Not saying consoles aren't cool as they have their pros too (imo mostly price and simplicity) but honestly, I'd rather pay more for having more options.

As have I... the PC gaming experience is not what it used to be by a long shot. I'd say it's been pretty smooth sailing, especially past 2005 or so.
People who try to say building PC's is difficult are either trying to do an eccentric/complicated build for the novelty of it, incompetent, or liars.

Building a PC these days is:

Building Blocks Fun GIF by SVGator

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
Seriously problem happen on PC but it’s not that hard to fix most of the time…google is your friend 😜

Last edited:

Chiggs

People who try to say building PC's is difficult are either trying to do an eccentric/complicated build for the novelty of it, incompetent, or liars.

That's right, folks. There isn't one alternative possibility that might explain why a PC build might be difficult. No way, no how. People are either showing off, or they're simply incompetent, or they're just liars. Hear ye, hear ye, this sayeth Krappadizzle Krappadizzle in the year of our Lord, two thousand and twenty four.
  • Motherboard requires a Bios flash prior to a CPU install, unbeknownst to a first-time/rookie builder, resulting in the system failing to post and having everyone online tell them to reseat the CPU or check the PSU to no avail.
    • THE USER IS INCOMPETENT!
  • RAM sticks not playing nice with the motherboard, regardless of their compatibility listing on the manufacturer's website?
  • Windows failing to install because a motherboard's TPM is poorly implemented or configured?
  • ICUE won't play nice with other RGB software, causing fans and pumps to stop functioning?
    • THE USER IS A LIAR! OH, AND STOP SHOWING OFF WITH YOUR FANCY MULTI-PRODUCT BUILD!
  • Foreign manufacturer has posted incorrect specifications on their hastily-thrown together product page, resulting in someone buying components that won't fit in their case?
  • Your name is Henry Cavill, you're a celebrity by every definition of the word; women want you & men want to be you; you spend the whole night building a gaming pc, making several honest mistakes in the process forcing you to redo your work and consult user manuals with a befuddled look on your face...and then are relieved once the whole process is over and can enjoy the fruits of your labor?
    • HE'S INCOMPETENT AND IS NOT UP TO THE HIGH STANDARDS OF GAF'S BEST AND BRIGHTEST!
Remember, everyone, building a PC is very easy and shouldn't take longer than 45 minutes because all pc part manufacturers care deeply about the user experience and work closely together to ensure interoperability between all products...even the ones outside of their ecosystem that they themselves have a competing SKU for. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fahdis

Umm, guys I know you all mean well to vent, but the point of the thread wasn't platform wars at all. I love PC gaming. 95% of shit just works. I made the thread because some stuff can be very daunting and its usually the Pub or Dev who don't really care about their games or community. The point was to have them be accountable.

That's right, folks. There isn't one alternative possibility that might explain why a PC build might be difficult. No way, no how. People are either showing off, or they're simply incompetent, or they're just liars. Hear ye, hear ye, this sayeth Krappadizzle Krappadizzle in the year of our Lord, two thousand and twenty four.
  • Motherboard requires a Bios flash prior to a CPU install, unbeknownst to a first-time/rookie builder, resulting in the system failing to post and having everyone online tell them to reseat the CPU or check the PSU to no avail.
  • RAM sticks not playing nice with the motherboard, regardless of their compatibility listing on the manufacturer's website?
  • Windows failing to install because a motherboard's TPM is poorly implemented or configured?
  • ICUE won't play nice with other RGB software, causing fans and pumps to stop functioning?
    • THE USER IS A LIAR! OH, AND STOP SHOWING OFF WITH YOUR FANCY MULTI-PRODUCT BUILD!
  • Foreign manufacturer has posted incorrect specifications on their hastily-thrown together product page, resulting in someone buying components that won't fit in their case?
  • Your name is Henry Cavill, you're a celebrity by every definition of the word; women want you & men want to be you; you spend the whole night building a gaming pc, making several honest mistakes in the process forcing you to redo your work and consult user manuals with a befuddled look on your face...and then are relieved once the whole process is over and can enjoy the fruits of your labor?
    • HE'S INCOMPETENT AND IS NOT UP TO THE HIGH STANDARDS OF GAF'S BEST AND BRIGHTEST!
Remember, everyone, building a PC is very easy and shouldn't take longer than 45 minutes because all pc part manufacturers care deeply about the user experience and work closely together to ensure interoperability between all products...even the ones outside of their ecosystem that they themselves have a competing SKU for. :rolleyes:
Ah, so you fall into the eccentric/complicated novelty and a mix of the incompetent build category... Thanks for playing.

Broken parts have nothing to do with saying putting bricks together is complicated. Software is a can of worms sometimes, but installing windows from flash drive, internet, etc. is pretty much foolproof at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom