• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What classic games would you like to see get the 'Streets of Rage' treatment?

SirTerry-T

Yeah, as much as I'd like to see them tackle Golden Axe, I think if they are sticking with Sega's I.P, Shinobi seems a pretty safe bet. There was at least one Shinobi Easter egg in S O.R 4.

Last edited:
The Lucky Dime Caper, from the Master System. It is not a classic, but it is a game very special and dear to me.

DONALDDUCK_1-616x477.png

Trojan from NES, Saturday Night Slam Masters from SNES, Chrono Trigger from SNES, Super Off Road The Baja from SNES (ARIBA!).

if we're going past 8 bit:

Twisted Metal 2 from PSOne and Metal Gear Solid from PSOne (Which is rumoured to be happening anyway)

yurinka

Shinobi, Golden Axe, Sunset Riders, Contra, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Strider, Pang, Darkstalkers, TMNT (Konami arcade beat 'em ups)...

None. I wish people would make new games and stop riding on other people's nostalgia. The originals still exist, i can still play them easily, and they're always better than the rehashed fan-games that come out 45 years later.

Last edited:

Romulus

I know it's not that same era, but the original Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver. It was so ambitious at the time but the first generation of consoles wasn't powerful enough to realize it. The Dreamcast version is far better, but it still needs a modern treatment, the controls are awful by today's standards.

Kokoro2020

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I would love to see a proper follow-up to Turtles in Time. Have Nickelodeon somehow replicate the gameplay of that game.

Also Final Fight. A new Final Fight game could even include playable Street Fighter characters, since Street Fighter already has several playable Final Fight characters.

GAMETA

Banned
So many franchises could use new good 2D games...

Earthworm Jim
Demon's Crest
Breath of Fire
Mickey/Donald/Ducktales
Castlevania (classic style)
Contra
Metal Slug
Sonic
Golden Axe
R-Type

Romulus

Well so does streets of rage and other mentions, but i`d like a visual upgrade or sequel ;)

I disagree, I just think the alien soldier is one of those rare games that looks modern compared to the others. But I'd take an upgrade.

CamHostage

"Test, one, two... SEEEEEGAAA"

I think Comix Zone has always been due for a revival. It was the coolest thing on the planet in 1995. it has a rich hand-drawn art style that could flourish without pixel art, and it's a frustrating game in some ways but has a richness to the play depth and puzzle systems that could be greatly iterated upon. So worthy of a return in the hands of a super creative director.

Wayvmxo.jpg

I want a remake of Trog. Loved that game as a kid

s-l300.jpg

Yeah, that claymation game; would be cool if they just recaptured the clay art as best they could (kind of the same as they were trying to remaster Mortal Kombat 1.)

Last edited:

CamHostage

Oh yeah, that game. I really meant have one for consoles though, since that game, for whatever reason, never came out on consoles. I would love to play it, but Arcades are scarce around here.

I remember something about this unfortunately not being great when I tried it at an arcade show a few years ago, but...

I do honestly think 3D orientation might be a good thing to try in beat-em-ups (as blasphemous as it is to say that.) The typical technique of cheating the flat sprites to only engage on one plane is classic game design, but it also always felt cheap and limiting, as you waited for enemies to come down into your flurry of attacks. This Turtles game is a promising development IMO that the characters CAN fight up and down as well as sideways, but they still turn back to their line forwards/backwards for the most part rather than having independent 360 character movement (ala Powerstone.) This looks like it plays like a 2D brawler generally, but because it has 3D orientation sometimes, you can't get away with spamming so easily and you don't have to walk into attacks that you know ae going to get you socked.

...In general, everything has to play together when a classic franchise comes back: the graphic style, the gameplay choices, the stage design. It doesn't help that classics were classics because the best in the business at the time tended to work on them, and often the same genius (or even simply the same working conditions, as sometimes the "genius" is something that even the creators don't understand and can't capture in a sequel,) doesn't exist out there anymore even if the tools for making games are much more available now. So I do personally welcome revivals like SoR4 and Turtles by Raw Thrills and Double Dragon Neon, but like anything else, they've got to be good.

Saber

Gold Member
Original Tomb Raider, a true authentic experience, close to originals.

Asterix Great Rescue(Master System version)

Adventures of Batman and Robin (Mega drive), because this one needs some serious tune ups. Like the lenght of the flying stage.

Top Bottom