• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What categories would you like to see for the NeoGAF Game of the Year Awards?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Best level design
Best combat system
Best cover art
Best UX/UI
Best day-1 performance
Best post-launch support (not counting fixing broken game)
Best core mechanic
Best world building
Best sound design (matters more than just music)
etc...

You know, something that actually matters for games than "actors", "twitch player" and those weird shit geoff put on the TGA

tommib

Best level design
Best combat system
Best cover art
Best UX/UI
Best day-1 performance
Best post-launch support (not counting fixing broken game)
Best core mechanic
Best world building
Best sound design (matters more than just music)
etc...

You know, something that actually matters for games than "actors", "twitch player" and those weird shit geoff put on the TGA
Cover art is a good one. Scorn takes my vote. :)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Most punchable character(s)

Weightiest combat

Most Punchy Guns

Best Booty

Funniest Switch port

Game you’ll most likely still be playing two years from now

Coolest stages/open world

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hi everyone. What would you like to see beyond the obvious overall and genre categories? We've developed some custom internal functionality for this year, so let's go all out and broaden the scope of the NeoGAF Awards.
Best value? Or possibly best game with launch MSRP under $10/$20/$30

Best remake

Most optimized and bug free on release

Most improved (bad games that were released in previous years but via patches are actually good now)

Best game that can run on a potato

Best game to play with a friend

I think certain aspects of games that make them fun to play should be rewarded, like:

Best UI/UX

Most responsive gameplay

Best control scheme

Most innovative gameplay loop

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I like the idea of just keeping it simple and having a GOTY as you always have.

Honestly I think the lesson from this years GOTY awards is that throwing out shitty new awards is bad, like they had to rappid fire out 20 of them and only like 10 got the big stage celebration where they did a speech.

So for GAF keep it simple, GOTY and that's it.

Mozzarella

I think those are a must:

1- Game of the year
2- Best art direction
3- Best music/soundtrack
4- Best gameplay/ game direction whatever you wanna call it
5- Best Level/World design
6- Best story/writing
7- Developer of the year

Optional ones: i dont really recommend this but if you want to add more.

Best RPG
Best Action
Best Horror
Best Indie
Best (x genre) actually :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Character of the year

Worst launch (problems, bugs, crashes, server issues, ect)

Best launch (smooth, polished, ready to play, ect)

Best recovery (game that initially launched in a bad state but recovered sometime in 2022 even if it wasn’t released in 2022, just that made huge recovery during the calendar year)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Favorite character

Best boss encounter

Best Elden Ring boss

Best Elden Ring location

Most likely to be nominated for mod? 😂

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'd like to see a "Best Moment" award, highlighting perfectly executed scenes, shots, or moments in video games that are worth recognising, even if the game overall isn't the best.

A good example from prior years would be from Halo 4, for the ending scene where Master Chief and Cortana say goodbye. The game itself wouldn't take GOTY, heck it wasn't even that great a game overall, but that moment? Easily the best moment in gaming for that year, and well worth recognising. For this year, a good example might be a boss reveal from Elden Ring, or a particular shot from GOW:R, that really just took our collective breaths away.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Best Toilet Seat Game - doesn’t have to be gross, but there’s a difference between a game you can play on the can and one that takes some effort
Best song in a OST - how many titles I buy the OST for and maybe 1 track actually gets it. Maybe best theme song? Best OST is so broad. Aka Death Stranding soundtrack.
Some negatives - Worst Game and Most Overhyped. These are just some things I had on my mind.

"Best obscure game"
"Best gameplay"
"Best bad game"
"Best good and cheap game"
"Best antagonist"

"Instant classic game"
"Most innovative game"
"The game you most regretted buying"
"Most overrated game"
"Most overlooked game"

"Worst shitty and expensive game"
"Worst praised game"
"Worst hyped game"
"Worst gameplay"
"Worst main character"
"Worst dlc of the year"

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best game launch priced at under $20 or $30.

I know there's always Indie categories which kind of mean the same thing, but not always. Putting a price on it firmly distinguishes the difference between a $19.99 game and a $39.99 game.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Comebacks

Perhaps for games that are either older and have returned to popularity, or games that were failing that are now thriving.

and perhaps...

Miracles (a la the new Tactics Ogre)

Games you thought would never happen but did.

Pejo

Most of GAF doesn't play games anymore, so probably stupid shit like:

• Digital Foundry shitpost thread with the most replies award
  • Strangest sales metric corporate speak twitter post
  • Leakiest leak (4chan) *update in OP, confirmed fake* award
  • My plastic box vs. your plastic box award
  • Jim Ryan award for pissing off existing fanbases in pursuit of short term profit
  • Phil Spencer award for buying studios and having them amount to nothing ('these things take time, he's still trying to fix Don Mattrick's problems' edition)
  • 'Forgetting to take your meds' fanboy award
  • Best developer acquisition
  • Best snarky reply to an Off Topic thread accidentally created in Gaming side before it's moved by a mod.

nush

Gold Member
Retro game of the year, either as a compilation release or a standalone title. For example a remastered PS2 title would count or a PS1 title released on PS Plus but not a remaster from the PS360 gen. However a remaster of any game older than that would count.

T4keD0wN

Best microtransactions
Best controversy
Best new fortnite skin
Best update/patch
Best apology tweet
or just "best game (quality)" instead of the usual "best game (most popular)"

Last edited:

wipeout364

Best game that neogaf refuses to acknowledge might actually be good because it’s popular

Call of Duty Modern Warfare
Fifa
Madden
Fortnite
Candy Crush Saga
Call of Duty Mobile

BEST OLD GAME OF THE YEAR

Game you played this year that you enjoyed the most which wasn't released in this year. It would be hard to get any clear winner since everyone's backlog is different but it would really interesting to see all the gaf picks.

If you wanted to try and make it more functional as a voting category you could limit it to the previous year. So "Best 2021 game that you played in 2022" or something like that

Last edited:
Top Bottom