• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any other fan made projects like Streets of Rage: Remake and Sonic 3 A.I.R.?

nkarafo

Here's SOR: Remake:

And here's Sonic 3 A.I.R.:

Basically, what these projects do is provide the BEST way to play those games on a modern PC. With these, you aren't going to ever miss the originals on the original console they offer the same content and more. I haven't played SOR as much yet but Sonic 3 A.I.R. is the definitive version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles. It has all the options and extras of the Sonic 3 Complete hack, has mod support, it's widescreen and takes advantage of modern hardware to add optional improvements like a remastered soundtrack, without the dreaded sound channel priority fighting that all 8/16 bit games had. It also has the option to use the Protorype soundtrack as well if you really want to. That means, it can even replace Origins.

So i'm looking for other projects that try to replace original classic games in the same way. Because of that, they need to have all the content the originals had or more. Games like TMNT: Shredder's Revenge or Streets of Rage 4 don't count because these are new, different games. Though i would pay a lot of money for a SNES TMNT IV to get a similar treatment...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I recently installed the linux build from s3&k air on my steam deck.. and it blows sonic origins out of the water..

S.o.r has so many mods i don’t know where to start anyway…

There is a mod database for genesis games you can patch them yourself.

oldergamer

Dude there are sooo many that do this. If you checkout the games included with versions of retropie. they take characters from other games and mash things up to make new games.

Knightime_X

Mega Man Maker:

You can even play levels from others as well.

Not sure why the video is choppy, but gameplay is incredibly smooth just like how it was on an actual NES.

Final Fantasy 4 Ultima Edition
It's a rom hack but HEAVILY modified rom hack.
Can find it on romhacking.net

Brutal Doom Black Edition

If any of these are against TOS please delete this post.

nkarafo

Brutal Doom Black Edition

If any of these are against TOS please delete this post.

I don't know about the others but the Brutal Doom mod is way too different than the original. It feels like a different game.

Playing the original DOOM through a modern engine is quite enough IMO.

Dude there are sooo many that do this. If you checkout the games included with versions of retropie. they take characters from other games and mash things up to make new games.
Some new programmer took some stock Unreal Engine layouts and put a completely out of place Sonic into those empty landscapes. He even had a video of Sonic awkwardly running around these environments.

I believe he called his practice for school project "Sonic Frontiers".

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I don't know about the others but the Brutal Doom mod is way too different than the original. It feels like a different game.

Playing the original DOOM through a modern engine is quite enough IMO.
Some of these mods have options to let you make those changes like vanilla weapons, no reloading etc.
Lots of freedom.

Spukc

You are right, some projects exist for the original console and are still improved immensely.

DOOM 32X Resurrection is one that qualifies for me. There's no reason for the original release to exist after that:

Aye the OG sonic 3D dev actually “recently patched his game” to run way better.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy for me.

As far as I know it's MK1-Trilogy compiled, but without going too far into custom characters and overboard custom moves territory.

It would be great if there was a similar project using the Arcade versions because the Genesis assets/animation/sound/music are pretty bad in comparison.

SkylineRKR

SoR Remake is godly. I still have it on my notebook, hooked a saturn controller up and it was completely crazy fun. Lots of characters, story beats based on SoR 3 cutscenes, a map, and the option to enable gore for sword slashes. Also you could change the mechanics to SoR2 or 3 style. Yeah it was awesome and highly recommended.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Not exactly the same but there is a SNES Megaman X fan game in development that looks incredible

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Zdoom is perhaps the best mod of all time.

Aside that, I remember one that "tries" to recreate Sonic Advance 1. But its pretty terrible, alot of unnecessary changes and autistic choices that makes the GBA version better.

Spukc

Zdoom is perhaps the best mod of all time.

Aside that, I remember one that "tries" to recreate Sonic Advance 1. But its pretty terrible, alot of unnecessary changes and autistic choices that makes the GBA version better.
Sounds like a sanic game to me.
Is sonichu involved?

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

cover_52.jpg

gotta love that sweet prototype carnival night act 2
sounds better than it does in the 2022 remaster, somehow
It always from the moment I played the game sounded like it should have been there all along those proto tracks, I discovered the original versions of the game with the MJ music later on and it still didn't sound 100% like a fit, as good as those musics are
Ok so i guess you are fond of that midi PC soundtrack then? Because that collection does nothing else.
Love the FM Synthesizer default soundtrack in particular yup

Top Bottom