• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you playing instead of X360? thread

Sysgen

bjork said:
Still working on a perfect save file for Dawn of Sorrow.

Oh dear. Read this as "Still working on a perfect dark zero file for Dawn of Sorrow."

Funny, I'm watching "What the ... do we know" on Starz right now and it talks about the brain, what we actually see, patterns, very interesting.

Playing Doom3 PC. Untold Legends PSP.

Tain

02.jpg

Earth Defense Force 2. Serious Sam wishes it could be this good.

Also, Lode Runner in various forms, Shenmue (wtf), Thievery... Random singleplayer junk.

HOPEFULLY Guitar Hero tomorrow.

Beatmania IIDX 10th Style

Screw you. Seriously.

I'm at home for Thanksgiving, but I'm willing to bet that that is in my dorm mailbox.

;______;

jtkauff

DQ8 as well as Guitar Hero, which I picked up at EB thanks to extra-long hours due to the launch. Figured someone had to buy a decent game that night.

Tellaerin

Right now I'm working on beating Gunstar Super Heroes on Hard (stalled on that damn Thunderblade shooter level right now - the chopper's friggin' huge, which is not helping), playing Magna Carta, and messing with SC III on and off. (I want to play DQ VIII, but I make a rule of not trying to play more than one console RPG at the same time, because one of them inevitably ends up falling by the wayside. It'll probably end up being a 'late to the party' deal by the time I get around to playing it, but it's definitely going to happen.)

_Angelus_

Banned
Taito Classics and SSam2

Just about done with the last one and I'm looking to buy HL2 now. After downloading the GameSpt Half Life2 XBox review I'm sorta on the fence though. That damn framerate chugs more than i would like it to. Game looks like alot of fun but we'll see.

Any own the game and regret their purchase? It looks very good and the shooting action looks top notch,just need some advice from a few who have spent some time with the XBox version.

If I dont grab this one then I'll probably pick up Heroes of the Pacific instead.

pj

Banned
I just finished up gothic 2.

I was told by quite a few people that it was like morrowind, but better.

WRONG, the only things that are better is the: program stability, music and world design.

The combat is fucking disgusting. Morrowind's may have been boring but it wasn't so clunky and counterintuitive that every single battle could end in death.

Another big problem is that certain things require very specific actions that are easy to miss, which leads to frustration (ie You get a book from some guy that proves some other dude innocent, and you're supposed to show it to the boss, but the option isn't there when you talk to him. The thing I missed was that you have to READ the book before you talk to him. Why the fuck do I have to read the book? I already know what it says. The other one I can remember is lockpicking. I didn't learn lockpicking until about 45 minutes before I beat the game because I didn't know how to make the carpenter trust me.).

The difficulty is absurd early in the game. For the first maybe.. 10 hours of the game, if you see more than one enemy, even if it's the weakest bastards in the game, you HAVE to inch towards one and lure it to you, kill it, then repeat until you've killed the group. You can't use arrows or magic on them because that will alert the whole fucking group. The valley of the mines is the worst offender in this regard. Most of the time it's impossible to pick off an orc since there are so many of them grouped together and they have VERY GOOD EYES.

Adding to the frustration of the enemy difficulty is the bad collision detection and animation system. I won't go into detail because I'm started to get bored typing this, but the main problem is the very liberal range on enemy melee attacks and the fact that you can't start running while you're changing weapons, and you can't draw a weapon while backing up.

Balance is another big issue in this game. The beginning is incredibly hard, but the end is ridiculously easy. Once you get the paladin runes you can take down orcs in 2-3 hits (I killed ALL of the ones around the valley of the mines castle), from very far away and it just becomes a matter of not running out of mana.

The last problem I have is that there's not enough item variation and nothing you get feels like an actual reward.

The game's not all bad, though. The quests are quite varied and generally good, the music is excellent, sound effects are pretty good, the story is quite compelling, the fact that there's no load screen when you teleport is awesome, and the amount of choices you get is very good, so good that I could replay the game and probably have a totally different experience, but I won't because of all the problems.

I know I spent more time complaining about the bad than praising the good, I guess that's a side effect of spending so much time on the internet, but don't get me wrong, it's a very good game. I'd give it an 8 or 8.5..

P.S. I know no one cares since this game is so old, but I wanted to vent
P.P.S. I just remembered another problem.. YOU CAN'T PLAY AFTER THE CREDITS. WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THAT? The world didn't blow up, the majority of NPCs didn't talk about the thing I defeated, why couldn't I go back and wrap up the side quests?

Amir0x

Banned
Still Dragon Quest 8-ing, and also a bit of Shadow Hearts Covenant.

Thinking of trying to get into Star Ocean next...

just an RPG type of month for me

Andy787

Banned
255731.jpg

Just finished off Age of Empires III, so now I'm trying to get through this very cool little game right now before my 360 is here.

Phoenix

Civ4, CoD2, GTA PSP.

Right now I don't feel compelled to pick up anything that launched with the X360. The only chance it had was Oblivion, but even that will be out on the PC so...

VALIS

Angelus said:
Just about done with the last one and I'm looking to buy HL2 now. After downloading the GameSpt Half Life2 XBox review I'm sorta on the fence though. That damn framerate chugs more than i would like it to. Game looks like alot of fun but we'll see.

Any own the game and regret their purchase? It looks very good and the shooting action looks top notch,just need some advice from a few who have spent some time with the XBox version.

Best

FPS

Ever.

I finished the Xbox version last night and was thrilled with every minute. Sure, when you're turning around quickly the frame rate will drop severely for a second or two, but I don't find that such a big deal. I mean, how many FPS have not had this problem? The game is fantastic. Loved it.

Ironclad

DQ VIII first and foremost. It owns my soul and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Mario Kart DS as well. Wi-fi mainly.

Brannon

Dragon Quest VIII; looks pretty, sounds pretty, plays pretty, puff-puff...

The only game that ripped me away from Ratchet: Deadlocked, really. I suppose one day I'll have to rent Shadow the Hedgehog just to see what's what, but it's scaring me...

Monk

Banned
pj325is said:
The combat is fucking disgusting. Morrowind's may have been boring but it wasn't so clunky and counterintuitive that every single battle could end in death.

The difficulty is absurd early in the game. For the first maybe.. 10 hours of the game, if you see more than one enemy, even if it's the weakest bastards in the game, you HAVE to inch towards one and lure it to you, kill it, then repeat until you've killed the group. You can't use arrows or magic on them because that will alert the whole fucking group. The valley of the mines is the worst offender in this regard. Most of the time it's impossible to pick off an orc since there are so many of them grouped together and they have VERY GOOD EYES..

I think that you just didnt "get" the combat system. You just swing your sword when the enemy is the right distance from you. I beat an orc in the first hour of the game by traversing over mountains.(which is the main thing that rocks about the game).

The last problem I have is that there's not enough item variation and nothing you get feels like an actual reward.

This i disagree somewhat with it. The armor you make is a very rewarding feeling because of how much effort it takes to get it. But the lack of variation is certainly true.

ourumov

Ronin Blade (Soul of the Samurai)
Omega Boost

Found them last saturday pretty cheap. I am very happy to finally have them, specially Ronin Blade which I have been looking for tons of years :)
The game is pretty bad for today's standards but I am sure that if I had played it back in the PSX days I would have enjoyed it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
True Crime, Indigo, Civ4, and the Movies...

Got Dark Corners of the Earth, love HP's stuff and the PnP game.. but the game freaks me out too much and I can't even play! From the very start the game is super creepy!

_Angelus_

Banned
VALIS said:
Best

FPS

Ever.

I finished the Xbox version last night and was thrilled with every minute. Sure, when you're turning around quickly the frame rate will drop severely for a second or two, but I don't find that such a big deal. I mean, how many FPS have not had this problem? The game is fantastic. Loved it.

It looks really good. So youre not put off by the frame rate? I noticed that the boss fights are when it gets severe. Its as if it almost wants to lock the frame rate up for a split second then it smooths out again. Its weird. Maybe its the way GameSpot shot the video review I don't know. Is there an auto aim feature in the game? I don't plan to use it but it'd be good to have in there if the framerate pisses me off during boss encounters.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Blackace said:
Got Dark Corners of the Earth, love HP's stuff and the PnP game.. but the game freaks me out too much and I can't even play! From the very start the game is super creepy!

Wait until your character freaks out and you can barely control him and they're coming for you AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHRGH!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
This weekend might be my most gaming packed in a while. Holiday = off work, mild cold = lack of social obligations, weather = snow falling fast and furious, Food = Turkey feast, leftovers around the house. Viva la console fest. Thank you hardy Pilgrims.

Drinky Crow said:
Wait, the Cthulhu game is *good*?

sort of and sometimes.

Xbox
Sniper Elite - on the 3rd mission. Liking this game quite a bit, some of the highlights are tossing TNT near a tank and sniping it to blow it up, lobbing grenades from a bridge and taking out an entire unit, and the bullet cam action when you get a long distance headshot or hit a moving target. Unfortunately, the game is a bit rough looking in spots and at times you're reduced to going out in the open to find the location of that enemy pelting you from afar.

Half LIfe 2 - cool game, never played it on PC. Still only have a pistol and a crowbar. Framerate is alright most of the time, lots of loading screens though.

DS
Phoenix Wright, Sonic Rush, Mario Kart, Tony Hawk, VJ...Great games.

PSP
GTA but only play it occasionally.

GC
Fire Emblem

PS2
Nothing at the moment although I have Suikoden Tactics and Fatal Frame 3 unopened, and Shadow of Collosus I played for a minute or two but the game didn't grab me. I'll probably get back to it eventually.

With all this stuff to play, I can afford to wait for 360.

Gamedude

Zone of the Enders 2: the 2nd runner - final boss. One of those games that keeps getting better and better until the end.

User 406

Banned
MX vs. ATV Unleashed. Rainbow Studios still has the magic from the first two ATV Off-Road Fury games, but damn the AI can be a real bastard on certain tracks. I also don't care for all this non-ATV crap they added. :|

Age of Empires III. It's a great game.

Ninja Gaiden Black. Not enjoying this game at all. I think I've outgrown this type of gameplay.

koam

I've been tired as hell lately so I only play a bit of DS before going to bed. Mario Kart and Metroid pinball (which is pretty f'n good).

pj

Banned
Monk said:
I think that you just didnt "get" the combat system. You just swing your sword when the enemy is the right distance from you. I beat an orc in the first hour of the game by traversing over mountains.(which is the main thing that rocks about the game).

Fighting any ONE enemy that has a weapon is easy since you can just parry, but even that sucks because it takes your dude so long to respond. It was so slow that it made my fingers feel weird, it's hard to explain but the game made them feel like they were moving too slow or something..

This i disagree somewhat with it. The armor you make is a very rewarding feeling because of how much effort it takes to get it. But the lack of variation is certainly true.

Oh, you can make armor? What individual did you have to talk to at what time of day after getting what item to get the option for making armor? I learned how to collect mine crawler plates and dragon scales from this guy, but it was too late to make mine crawler armor since I had already killed all of the minecrawlers. Can you make armor out of the dragon scales?

On second thought, I did get one item that felt like a reward. My magic ore blade with consecration (5000 gold) AND tears of innos upgrade! Attack of 80, which seemed awesome until I bought a crossbow with an attack of 100 for 2400 in town..

Also, what is the point of caskets?

DustinC

DQ8, Mario Kart DS, plus the review stuff.

Thinking about picking up Wild Arms today based on what everyone seems to think of it, not sure if I'll make it out there or not though. I probably shouldn't as I have a few RPG's I haven't even touched yet, but I'm a whore for new games.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Finally got a copy of Rez so I'm playing through that, amazing game. Also GTA:LCS when it's convenient. I need another PS2 game to play, though

jgkspsx

PSP: Earthbound Zero
DS: Phoenix Wright
GBASlot: Gunstar Super Heroes

Consoles are stowed until turbulence subsides :(

Top Bottom