• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you playing instead of X360? thread

Tarazet

As I've mentioned a few times in scattered threads, instead of hunkering down for the big launch, I took a plunge deep into last generation, and then some, while also paying my own little tribute to Nintendo's recent streak of novelty*:

*cat not affiliated with reactionary line of thinking

Some brief impressions:

Valkyrie Profile: I've put about 6 hours into the game so far. What a fine piece it is, but at the same time, what a problematic one. It seems like a game made by a gifted amateur - absolutely brilliant and brimming with fantastic ideas, but because of inexperience, he didn't know what was realistic and what would turn out to be a logistical nightmare, either for the developer or for the player.

For example, the magic gems you acquire in battle. It's a crap shoot whether you get them, even if the animation looks like you clearly nailed the enemy with a combo strike in the air or on the ground. Further, the gems don't always show up in the final listing, and it's not clear why. There are a few more issues like this, such as the weird approach to platforming. Overall the battle system is highly original and effective, though.

I'm not so bothered by the extreme linearity of the game, because there are three endings and so it seems that the experience will be a little bit different each time. I am bothered by the fact that if you diverge from the path and enter a town, there's nothing there for you. The townspeople are absolutely dead and there is nothing to explore, nothing to find. For Tri-Ace to go from such neglect to such dedication with Radiata Stories is a major step forward.

What saves the game most, for me, is a dramatic sweep in the story that is really astonishing. More than any other game, even Metal Gear Solid, I felt a gifted director's hand behind the scenes, running the show. The situations that the poor humans find themselves in are real, and their expressions are genuine. As a result, the way that Valkyrie slowly surrounds herself with an army built of these fallen men and women - complete with their broken dreams, broken hearts, broken lives - is really powerful. The heart of this game is unlike any other, and it makes every other RPG I've played seem very narrow-minded by comparison.

Warioware Twisted!: I've been playing this on the bus. It has got me a couple of weird looks, but also quite a few compliments. Those perceptive enough to realize that I'm actually affecting the on-screen action by spinning the GBA around are often floored. It's a great little game, and feels amazingly refined in the hands, but I have a feeling it won't last much longer for me. But I might be wrong - there might be a lot more to it after the initial story missions.

The only real negative for me is the fact that the cart is extra-large and protrudes out of the system, which makes it a little bit difficult to handle. But it couldn't contain the mechanism without it, and anyway, it ensures that nobody will ever make a pirate version of it. :D

Gradius Galaxies: A little bit of 8-bit heaven. I'm a relative Gradius neophyte, but I've played 3, 4, and 5 and this is easier than any of them. You can carry up to 9 lives, and easy mode has unlimited continues. What a novelty! But what a blessing for someone like me who didn't grow up playing shmups and still needs to fine-tune his approach.

Your cat looks like its been through a blender.

Back on topic, I'm starting WoW up again as soon as school finishes in two weeks. Thats pretty much the only game anyone could ever want.

I'm playing a game I think many people here hate as much as I do, the fun and exciting "writing a research paper the night before it's due because I procrastinated like a moron"

rod

Banned
wild arms alter code F (oh the memories...in 3d! :D)
DQ8
tony hawk sk8land
mario kart DS
nfs mw xbox
half life 2 xbox

Soundwave 2k4 said:
I'm playing a game I think many people here hate as much as I do, the fun and exciting "writing a research paper the night before it's due because I procrastinated like a moron"

Holy shit, I'm playing that right now! Its fucking hard as hell. Don't forget to use all the save points. It's a bitch to have to start from the beginning. :(

You should just get a walkthrough.

_Angelus_

Banned
Serious Sam2

The Last stage is so darn tough since theyre throwing everything at me and the weapons aren't enough to hold them off.

God what a bastard stage. :lol

Tarazet

civilstrife said:
Holy shit, I'm playing that right now! Its fucking hard as hell. Don't forget to use all the save points. It's a bitch to have to start from the beginning. :(

You should just get a walkthrough.

Or download a 100% save. ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mostly Wild Arms 4. I don't understand why it was panned back around release time, but the game is loads of fun. It's so incredibly different from the previous games, yet still manages to keep what was good.

Also, I picked up Sonic Rush today and will start playing that as well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
adux_1872_95268

Picking up my copy of Dragon Quest VIII before work on Friday...pray for me.

galoisky

Metroid Pinball
Finishing Phoenix Wright
Just started Trauma Center

Staring at my manager's copy of Kameo with no system to play it on :(

rod

Banned
galoisky said:
Metroid Pinball
Finishing Phoenix Wright

so far what do you like better, PW or TC

AntoneM

Soundwave 2k4 said:

You think you've got it bad, I'm doing this in Italian as I type. Doing it in my native English is hard enough!

galoisky

rod said:
so far what do you like better, PW or TC

Well, Phoenix jumped out and grabbed my attention almost instantly. Trauma Center is nifty, but I am starting to get the feeling that it is more about speed than anything else.

Emotions

Pokemon Collosseum, LeafGreen, FireRed trying to reach level 100 with my fav pokemons, so i can transfer them, then to get away from pokemon a little, i'm playing Metroid Pinball and
some Animal Crossing to prepare for the DS version.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dragon Quest 8, and more Dragon Quest 8
30 hours and counting (Not even halfway through yet)

Tarazet

White Man said:
Is that the cat that's long since forgiven you?

Yes it is, in fact! I was going to put the games on top of her in a StuffOnMyCat tribute, but the fact that one of them is worth $100+ made me a bit antsy.

Was playing Mario Kart waiting in line for the 360 I didn't get.

Played Halo 2 tonight with my friends who did get a 360. A few of them ended up switching over to their old xbox for it due to some weird issues with the voice chat.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
still trying to motivate myself to finish shadow of the colossus before my 360 shows up. been playing gunstar super heroes and raiden 3 instead. also finally got around to trying the ps2 king kong demo. which sux.

Az987

all good things
I just started playing X-men legends 2 and have been playing Spartan:Total Warrior, and Brothers in Arms 2. I was hoping to get a 360 last night but all the lines were already bigger then the shipments.

daemonic

Banned
galoisky said:
Metroid Pinball
Finishing Phoenix Wright

heh I just finished trauma center and am starting phoenix wright. so far trauma center is still better.

I'm playing the last couple of story missions in GTA:Liberty City Stories. Spent about 25 hours in the game so far. AMAZING GAME!

This week I should also get Dragon Quest VIII, Lumines and Kingdom of Paradise. This should keep me busy until Dec. 2nd.

Ferny84

Banned
Waiting for Guitar Hero (Not alot of stores in Canada have recieved it yet).

Thinking of also purchasing a DS with Mario and Luigi 2.

nubbe

Sword of Mana – The script and plot progression is atrocious. It feels like I am punishing myself when I play it.

i just finished metroid prime last night and i'm about to start battallion wars. also, i'm about halfway through advance wars: ds. i've also got fire emblem, paper mario 2, phoenix wright, trauma center, and gta: lcs in my backlog. pretty much enough to hold me over until i can afford an hdtv, since i won't buy a 360 without one. rock on!

Top Bottom