• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wedbush NPD August preview

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/02/news_6132469.html

The channel checks at Wedbush Morgan Securities are in and the winner in the revenue race for August is....well, no one.

Analysts Michael Pachter and Edward Woo are estimating that when data trackers NPD release August sales statistics next week, the tally will show revenues for the month to be slightly off those reported for the same month a year ago. The duo are forecasting sales console games of $330 million for August 2005, down 2 percent from last year's August tally of $337 million.

By publisher, the analysts see the following: Activision driving $18 million in revs, off 16 percent from over last August; Atari picking up $5 million; off 53 percent; Electronic Arts banking $160 million, 14 percent higher; Majesco driving $3 million, down 7 percent; Midway tallying $3 million, off 37 percent; Take-Two taking in $16 million, off 35 percent; and THQ collecting $20 million from sales, up 67 percent over last August.

The share split for the month is as follows:

Aug 2005 (est.) vs Aug 2004 (actual)

Activision - 5.5 vs. 6.3 percent
Atari - 1.5 vs. 3.2 percent
EA - 48.5 vs. 41.7 percent
Majesco - 0.9 vs. 1.0 percent
Midway - 0.9 vs. 1.4 percent
Take-Two - 4.8 vs. 7.3 percent
THQ - 6.1 vs. 3.5 percent

Top sellers for August '05 have been pegged as Madden NFL 06 (PS2, Xbox, GC, PC, GBA, DS) and Nintendo’s Nintendogs (DS). EA's NCAA Football 06 (PS2, Xbox), Activision’s Fantastic Four (PS2, Xbox, GCN, GBA, PC), THQ’s Destroy All Humans! (PS2, Xbox), and Nintendo’s Pokemon Emerald (GBA) are also predict to be among the month's bestsellers.

In the hardware camp, the two said they expect Microsoft to maintain current level pricing for the current-gen Xbox through the launch of the 360. "Should Microsoft choose to maintain pricing for the Xbox, we believe that Sony will cut price on the PS2 in order to capture incremental market share in front of the launch of the Xbox 360," the analysts said. "We believe that Sony’s PS2 shipment forecast of 13 million units worldwide does not incorporate a price cut this year, and should Sony cut the PS2 price, we believe that it will revise its PS2 shipment forecast upward by 2-3 million units."

Revenues are remaining as strong as they are due to the generally higher-priced hand-held games for both the PSP and DS. Average selling prices for other consoles games are trending down, according to Pachter and Woo.

As far as how investors and the markets are expected to react, Pachter and Woo say that given "valuations for the US publishers have climbed over the past several months," current valuations will likely hold "as many may perceive sales strength this far into the year as signaling a positive trend for the balance of 2005."

Wedbush expects NPD data to be released next Thursday after the markets close.

They left a lot of the report out :D

We expect August sales of $330 million (down 2% vs. August 2004’s $337 million). In August, we expect sales driven by the new releases of Electronic Arts’ Madden NFL 06 (PS2, Xbox, GC, PC, GBA, DS, PSP) and Nintendo’s Nintendogs (DS) along with continued sales of Electronic Arts’ NCAA Football 06 (PS2, Xbox), Activision’s Fantastic Four (PS2, Xbox, GCN, GBA, PC), THQ’s Destroy All Humans! (PS2, Xbox), and Nintendo’s Pokemon Emerald (GBA). We note that there were 5 games that sold over 100,000 units in July, and we expect 5 in August (compared to 7 last year).

In 2004, ASPs held relatively steady, ending the full year down 1% ($30.76, compared to 2003’s $31.12), while full year unit sales were up 9% (from 186 million to 203 million). For 2005, we anticipate that console and handheld ASPs will decline by 3.4% (to $29.73), reflecting a decline in current generation console game pricing partially offset by significantly higher prices for new handheld software, and an increase in pricing for NFL games. We also expect unit sales to end the year up 13%. We forecast US console and PC software sales growth of 10% for 2005. ASPs year-todate through July are up 3% and unit sales are up 7%, leading to overall growth that tracks our estimates. For August, we expect unit sales to be down slightly compared to last year, and we expect ASPs to increase slightly.

Electronic Arts
Releases during August: 8/8 Madden NFL 06 (PS2, Xbox, GC, PC, GBA, DS, PSP), 8/30 NASCAR 06: Total Team Control (PS2, Xbox).

We estimate that EA generated $160 million in sales for the month (compared with $85 million last month and $141 million last August). We expect sales to be led by Madden NFL 06 which we estimate sold 2.5 million units, compared with last August’s Madden NFL 2005 2.1 million units. We estimate that catalog sales were led by NCAA Football 06, Medal of Honor: European Assault, and Need For Speed Underground, and its catalog of sports games.

IJoel

haha

I can imagine sonycowboy just rubbing his hands with glee when numbers show up. "OH GOODIE!"

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
IJoel said:
haha

I can imagine sonycowboy just rubbing his hands with glee when numbers show up. "OH GOODIE!"
Do you honestly believe it'll be his hands that he starts rubbing?

:O

;)

IJoel said:
haha

You have no idea :lol

Of course, I'm happier sooner than most ;)

This month is obviously all about the DS & Madden and to a smaller effect how the PSP is holding on.

Zeo

Banned
I really, really, really, just can't stand the NPD charts because of the whole DS/GBA thing. I hope they start splitting it up into GBA/SP/Micro/DS, just like the Japan charts..

DMczaf

We expect sales to be led by Madden NFL 06 which we estimate sold 2.5 million units, compared with last August’s Madden NFL 2005 2.1 million units.

3.gif
1.gif
4.gif

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
sonycowboy said:
You have no idea :lol

Of course, I'm happier sooner than most ;)

This month is obviously all about the DS & Madden and to a smaller effect how the PSP is holding on.

The PSP is holding on fine this month. I'm more interested in wether Nintendogs has the same staying power in the west as it does in Japan especially since grade school just started. We won't see any comparable DS numbers until maybe November, December when mommy and daddy decide what to buy their kids this Christmas. Nintendo would be smart to bundle a version of Nintendogs with the new released colors this Holiday if they want to seriously give Sony a run for their money.

Stopsign said:
So is this prediction time or what.

Why not?

1st pass :D

DS: 110k
PSP: 150k

Nintendogs: 220k
Madden Combined: 2.7M (I'll guess seperate platform numbers later)
NCAA 2006 Combined: 180k (ditto)

My prediction

PSP 165k
DS 105k
GC 80k
PS2 248k
Xbox 130k

Overview of total DS SW sales - Nintendogs - 230k, Madden 2006 - 40k, Advance Wars - 35k, Pac n' Roll - 7k = 312k + 300k of games already released because of the sales bump at the end of the month in DS HW.

DS 612k

PSP SW sales - Death Jr. 40k, MC3 - 35k, Coded Arms - 25k, Namco Muesem - 15k = 115k + 220k of games already released because of diving HW sales I see a big dip for the PSP this month.

PSP 335k

GC

Mario Baseball - 5k
Geist - 25k
Sonic Gems Collection - 57k
Madden 06 - 85k
Hulk - 25k

Xbox

Madden 06 - 400k
Ghost Recon SS - 60k (Unsure about this)
Hulk - 45k

PS2

Madden 06 - 1300k
Hulk - 120k

jarrod

Banned
Hardware:

GBA~ 152k
DS~ 123k
PSP~ 167k

New Software:

DSI Complilations~ 146k (combined)
Dragon Ball GT~ 73k
Lizzie McGuire 3~ 33k
Madden 06~ 28k
Shaman King 2~ 21k
Gumby Vs Astrobots~ 12k
Sigma Star Saga~ 9k

Nintendogs~ 244k (combined)
Advance Wars~ 45k
Madden 06~ 36k
Pac'n Roll~ 18k
Space Invaders~ 2k

Death Jr~ 47k
Namco Museum~ 24k

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wheeee~PKMN Emerald for the win! Still running strong at 4 months now. Last month it was at 130k but since its supposed to be in the top 5 I'll say it didn't go under 100~~sooo 110k for it.

Lindsay said:
Wheeee~PKMN Emerald for the win! Still running strong at 4 months now. Last month it was at 130k but since its supposed to be in the top 5 I'll say it didn't go under 100~~sooo 110k for it.

His 5 titles > 100k are estimates (along with the rest of his note), so don't take them as being perfectly correct ;)

Ruzbeh

Banned
jarrod said:
Hardware:

GBA~ 152k
DS~ 123k
PSP~ 167k

New Software:

DSI Complilations~ 146k (combined)
Dragon Ball GT~ 73k
Lizzie McGuire 3~ 33k
Madden 06~ 28k
Shaman King 2~ 21k
Gumby Vs Astrobots~ 12k
Sigma Star Saga~ 9k

Nintendogs~ 244k (combined)
Advance Wars~ 45k
Madden 06~ 36k
Pac'n Roll~ 18k
Space Invaders~ 2k

Death Jr~ 47k
Namco Museum~ 24k
Is that a prediction!?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
sonycowboy said:
His 5 titles > 100k are estimates (along with the rest of his note), so don't take them as being perfectly correct ;)

That's true and the competition will be stiff with Madden likely taking the top 3 spots~but I like ta have hope!

havehope.jpg

Either way Emerald oughta be passing Leaf Green to become the 4th top selling POKéGame this gen so that's a win no matter what!

cvxfreak

Lindsay said:
That's true and the competition will be stiff with Madden likely taking the top 3 spots~but I like ta have hope!

havehope.jpg

Either way Emerald oughta be passing Leaf Green to become the 4th top selling POKéGame this gen so that's a win no matter what!

Does LeafGreen suck and FireRed not so? :D

Ruzbeh

Banned
If the GBA hardware sales have been consistent, I guess, yeah.
AniHawk said:
Ahhh, my old nemesis, sonycowboy.
That makes you an Nbot? Weren't you a disbeliever of Nintendogs?

Shame.

Hardware:

PSP: 165k
GBA: 180k

Software:

Nintendogs(combined): 240k
Advance Wars DS: 60k
Madden DS: 35k

Total DS software sales: 520k
Total PSP software sales: 450k

Btw. how much HW did the DS sell in July?

AniHawk

Frankfurter said:
Hardware:

PSP: 165k
GBA: 180k

Software:

Nintendogs(combined): 240k
Advance Wars DS: 60k
Madden DS: 35k

Total DS software sales: 520k
Total PSP software sales: 450k

Btw. how much HW did the DS sell in July?

50k-60k.

Dalthien

sonycowboy said:
The numbers will make it out, I guarantee it. The past two months made it ;)

Sonycowboy - since Nintendo already released the total NPD number for DS through June/05 as 1.89 million, can't you let us know the monthly DS numbers through June now? At least Feb - Apr? As you said, the LTD totals are already out, so what could it hurt to release the monthly totals at this point?

Whiz

Hardware:

DS: 115k
PSP: 175k
GBA: 200k
(DS+GBA: 315k)

Software:

Nintendogs: 220k
Advance Wars DS: 55k
Death Jr.: 30k

Madden is the PSP's killer app. As much as EA was banking off of (Higher priced) PSP games earlier, I would not doubt Madden PSP making at least 250K

PSP sales also might stay at that slight line above 200K I believe they haven't fallen below 200K yet, and August was a STRONG month for movie releases for PSP. Movies carry PSP sales just as much as games do :p but the PSP still had a pretty good game month, especially with EA

DS will at least do 1.5 times as well as last month. I expect about 150K, which would be their most active month since the beginning of this year? Nintendogs should do awesome.

The Abominable Snowman said:
Madden is the PSP's killer app. As much as EA was banking off of (Higher priced) PSP games earlier, I would not doubt Madden PSP making at least 250K

PSP sales also might stay at that slight line above 200K I believe they haven't fallen below 200K yet, and August was a STRONG month for movie releases for PSP. Movies carry PSP sales just as much as games do :p but the PSP still had a pretty good game month, especially with EA

DS will at least do 1.5 times as well as last month. I expect about 150K, which would be their most active month since the beginning of this year? Nintendogs should do awesome.

Madden 06 doesn't come out for the PSP until late Sept. So that prediction goes down the drain. Oh and the DS did about 70k in HW sales last month. I wouldn't expect anything more than 120k.

donny2112

Predictions

Hardware

PS2 - 300K ("Gotta buy a new PS2 for Madden!")
GBA - 215K
PSP - 190K
Xbox - 140K
DS - 105K
GCN - 65K (The SSB:M bundle had to do something, right? ;-) )

Top Selling Games for each Platform

PS2
1. Madden 2006
2. NCAA 2006
3. Destroy All Humans
4. Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
5. Lego Star Wars

#1-#2 over 100K

GBA

1. Madden 2006
2. Pokemon: Emerald
3. Madagascar
4. Fire Emblem
5. Lego Star Wars

#1-#2 over 100K

PSP

1. Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition
2. Death Jr.
3. Coded Arms
4. Untold Legends
5. Need for Speed: Underground Rivals

Xbox (not including however the Halo 2 map pack was counted)

1. Madden 2006
2. NCAA 2006
3. Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
4. Conker: Live & Reloaded
5. Destroy All Humans

#1 over 100K

DS

1. Nintendogs (#1 - Dach, #2 - Lab, #3 - Chi; a.k.a. how Gaybrush Threepio laid it out)
2. Madden 2006
3. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
4. Kirby: Canvas Curse
5. Mario 64 DS

#1 over 100K

GCN

1. Madden 2006
2. Geist
3. SSB: M (Will this include the bundle?)
4. Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
5. Sonic Gems Collection

#1 over 100K

100K sellers by console

PS2 - 2
GBA - 2
Xbox - 1
DS - 1
GCN - 1

donny2112

Anyone else want to do predictions for this week's NPD numbers for August?

Stopsign, you left off GBA hardware predictions. :)

koam said:
According to IGN, the DS outsold the PSP at least the week Nintendogs was released.

Yes, Gaybrush said as much. DS in the last week (also the price drop ;) ) was ~50k and he said that a 100k estimate for the month was reasonable.

koam

sonycowboy said:
Yes, Gaybrush said as much. DS in the last week (also the price drop ;) ) was ~50k and he said that a 100k estimate for the month was reasonable.

Any idea what the numbers for last month were? The numbers we usually get are merged with GBA.

Juice

Ruzbeh said:
Well, it better outsell the PSP.

Damnit.

Motivation Analysis Results:
[ ] Sarcasm
[ ] Smarmy Imitation
[ ] Bias
[ ] Matter-of-Fact Belief
[X] Results Inconclusive

Top Bottom