• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 sales jumped 42% in the UK during August | UK Monthly Charts

I don't see things improving much next month, either. Spider-Man 2 will be around the corner, so PS5 should go up some more. And Starfield isn't the huge event some were expecting. I'm guessing XS goes up by a low double digit percentage.

Poltz

More exclusive games would help. Starfield, while not perfect, is a start and next month there is Forza Motorsport which should put Microsoft in the spotlight and sell a few Xboxes. They need to commit though to released a steady stream of high quality exclusive games for the platform not just two every autumn in the run up to Christmas. Sony got where they are by doing this but Microsoft got complacent and assumed live services and GamePass would enough to ensure the Xbox Series X|S's success. It clearly wasn't because the only place the Xbox is more successful than PlayStation is (I believe) the US, which is not surprising being their home territory.
What if I told you the PS5 has sold more consoles in the US than the Xbox Series consoles?

Does it mean that people went to the stores asking which console won't have Starfield?

I miss "1 billion bullets fired" or whatever metric they had for online games
General population customer walks into a game store and looks for Starfield on PS5, doesn't see it and asks the clerk "can I get Starfield for my PS5?"

Clerk says "sorry it's only on Xbox."

Customer, rather than buying an Xbox goes "oh, uh I'd like to preorder Spider-Man 2 then."

Last edited:

Kerotan

Spain Week 35 August 28 - September 3:

Hardware:
PS5: 12.500
Switch: 3.000
XBS: 1.500
I was just going to say if the UK is 3:1 imagine what other non USA countries are. I guess 10-1 lmao.

As said previously the ps5 price increase was genius. Get extra profit from the pent up demand then once it's met give the impression of aggressive discounts when in reality most of the discount is from the price increase.

One thing I'll say I'm surprised no ps slim announcement yet. Maybe start of October.

More exclusive games would help. Starfield, while not perfect, is a start and next month there is Forza Motorsport which should put Microsoft in the spotlight and sell a few Xboxes. They need to commit though to released a steady stream of high quality exclusive games for the platform not just two every autumn in the run up to Christmas. Sony got where they are by doing this but Microsoft got complacent and assumed live services and GamePass would enough to ensure the Xbox Series X|S's success. It clearly wasn't because the only place the Xbox is more successful than PlayStation is (I believe) the US, which is not surprising being their home territory.
Uh, yea, about that. PS5 is beating XS
12bab8ea6a59c09e17a16db3cc8d08794c070ba21bf9e752722cbf2e9812c207.jpg

Kerotan

General population customer walks into a game store and looks for Starfield on PS5, doesn't see it and asks the clerk "can I get Starfield for my PS5?"

Clerk says "sorry it's only on Xbox."

Customer, rather than buying an Xbox goes "oh, uh I'd like to preorder Spider-Man 2 then."
Or says they a much higher rated ps5 game called baldurs gate just out. But yes Spiderman is an easy sell.

Yeh it's pretty embarrassing when you think about it....MS have definitely lost their way

A damn shame!
Sure. From the interviews earlier this year, it's clear MS has given up on trying to win by making good games. Instead their only strategy is to just buy everything and everyone, thus forcing people to buy their consoles and Gamepass. Fuck them. I loved MS during the OG Xbox and 360 eras. Why can't they get back there? You know, when they seem to care about getting good games on their consoles?

acm2000

UK, week 1
-Fallout 4 500K+
-Fallout 76 ~84K
-Starfield ~15K (no digital sales)

Even if Starfield sales are 80% digital it still wouldn't reach Fallout 76 sales.
i dont know a single person who got it retail, everyone is either game pass or digital purchase via premium upgrade or digital store

Dcr1d3r

Sure. From the interviews earlier this year, it's clear MS has given up on trying to win by making good games. Instead their only strategy is to just buy everything and everyone, thus forcing people to buy their consoles and Gamepass. Fuck them. I loved MS during the OG Xbox and 360 eras. Why can't they get back there? You know, when they seem to care about getting good games on their consoles?
Facts bro...i don't know what the flying fuck is going on over at MS HQ.... But whatever is happening.... This Ain't it!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah its Aug numbers.
Yeah we still need to wait until Sept results are posted.

But maan.

The rest of this year is gonna be interesting for Xbox.

Its been posted, but Sony raising the price of the console so early and doing the price cut a few weeks ago seems like a genius, master class move.

Yeah its Aug numbers.
Yeah we still need to wait until Sept results are posted.

But maan.

The rest of this year is gonna be interesting for Xbox.

Its been posted, but Sony raising the price of the console so early and doing the price cut a few weeks ago seems like a genius, master class move.
And doing these promos right before a hardware revision where the price is probably going down to a definitive 400€/$ right before Christmas, lmao. Sony has been playing chess all along.

Woopah

Wouldn't be surprised if this was the case for most of europe tbh.
It will depend on price promotion. In Spain the effect of the PS5 price cut was huge.

Edit: For context the difference in recent weekly Spain sales between PS5 and Xbox Series is still huge, but without the price promotions its been more like 5:1 rather than 10:1.
Why is FIFA 23rd selling so much just before the 24th replacement drops?

Did they drop the price?
Discounts on the eshop pushed up the Switch version.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
We at the point in the gen where sales will become boring when compared to PS5.
MS dont stand a chance of turning this around, for them the gen is over.

Unknown?

Just imagine if in the end, with all this drama, they don't get Activision. Even with Activision they don't stand a chance(they only have COD), but without things look really dire.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
PlayStation is simply a much, much bigger brand. That fact would take a seismic industry shift to change, which is very, very unlikely.

End of the day, they just need to make their product desirable and not something attempting to go toe-to-toe with the behemoth that is PlayStation.

Last edited:

NickFire

"Turning things around" shouldn't be the goal anyway. PlayStation is simply a much, much bigger brand. There won't ever be a turnaround unless Xbox shifts that worldwide fact (which is very unlikely no matter what gen).

End of the day, they just need to make their product desirable and not something attempting to go toe-to-toe with the behemoth that is PlayStation.
I agree with most of what you wrote. But is PS really a much bigger brand, or just a much less tarnished brand?

I'm leaning towards much less tarnished.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I agree with most of what you wrote. But is PS really a much bigger brand, or just a much less tarnished brand?

It is a much bigger brand. Outside of the UK and US, what threat does Xbox pose to PlayStation?

And :pie_roffles: at the "tarnish" stuff. Only one of them has a notably tarnished image and it definitely isn't PlayStation.

Last edited:

Unknown?

PlayStation is simply a much, much bigger brand. That fact would take a seismic industry shift to change, which is very, very unlikely.

It could happen, like how Sega went from 5% in 1989 to over 50% in 1994, but it requires real leadership and Microsoft doesn't have that.

They also don't deserve any better than they have been doing right now. Do better and get better!

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It could happen, like how Sega went from 5% in 1989 to over 50% in 1994, but it requires real leadership and Microsoft doesn't have that.

They also don't deserve any better than they have been doing right now. Do better and get better!
I mean, lots of things could happen. Until there's anything to work with, that's a blow in the wind.

Zok310

Banned
Just imagine if in the end, with all this drama, they don't get Activision. Even with Activision they don't stand a chance(they only have COD), but without things look really dire.

MS need to do what nintendo did and vastly differentiate the xb from playstation, the 2 brands are identical right now and thats ms fault for trying to be a better playstation than playstation.
The literal only chance ms got at being a better playstation was with the 360 and thats when PS and Sony leadership was going thru a shake up and caused turmoil for all of Sony’s divisions. PS had to fail for 360 to temporarily succeed.

If these estimates are correct, really dire month for Microsoft. And all this before bumps expected from Spiderman and possibly a Slim revision

Series X Price cut needed?

They need a heavy marketing campaign too. I never ever see any ads for xbox. Compare that to the 360 days when I would see ads on TV all the time. I don't get it? Money isn't a factor, so where is the marketing? They should be all over the TV and Internet. All i see is ps5 ads and logos all over the place. It's like Microsoft have no confidence in their own product.

Last edited:

Vlodril

MS need to do what nintendo did and vastly differentiate the xb from playstation, the 2 brands are identical right now and thats ms fault for trying to be a better playstation than playstation.
The literal only chance ms got at being a better playstation was with the 360 and thats when PS and Sony leadership was going thru a shake up and caused turmoil for all of Sony’s divisions. PS had to fail for 360 to temporarily succeed.

You are not wrong. This is what they have been trying to do with gamepass but i don't think it is working out for them (so far anyway).

It's more than leadership at MS. Sony would need to fuck up really bad as well and it just doesn't seem to happen.

MS is doing more than any company could at this point. The amount of money invested on Gamepass for like 7 years already, the money invested on buying huge publishers and smaller studios. The piece of hardware that is Series X. But Playstation is simply a much bigger brand that doesn't miss where it matters: Games.

While Sony keeps releasing almost perfectly crafted videogames for the masses like Spider-Man or God of War, there's no way they will lose. They needed to have another PS3 on their hands for that to happen and i'm sure they have learned their lesson.

Playstation at this point is what Apple is for smartphones. That's clearly Sony's goal. It's turning it into a premium service / brand and it's working. Like, it's cool to have a Playstation when it's released to the point in some countries having a Playstation is the same as saying "having a videogame console".

TheTony316

It is a much bigger and less tarnished brand worldwide. Xbox is only (somewhat) competitive in the UK and NA.

Top Bottom