• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Need Another MotorStorm Game on Next Gen Console

LaUTTxd.jpg

Who doesn't love the possibility to wreck vehicles while racing? .. beside a semi open world tracks with great visuals

Yea I'm talking about MotorStorm on PS3 , I missed games like Motorstorm really most of the racing games are boring with Stunning visuals IMO .. I dont need driving simulator or closed tracks with sexy cars , no no I need FUN .. for me Motorstorm was the last fun racing game , you ask me why ?

I'll tell ya ..

MotorStorm brought so much fun through its tracks and the way you play , I mean every track is not just a track ! .. no baby one track has so many ways to achieve win if you choose motorcycle then go away from that mud road if you wanna get dirty then pick a big ass vehicle ..

HBkwGej.png

When racing you must know the map well and avoid muddy paths depend in what vehicle you choose.. that's why it's fun multiple paths in every track

5uO7YSN.jpg

And looking at the variety of vehicles .. each vehicle has it's own ability and also weaknesses , from big ones to bikes ..

Game has 12 tracks each has a unique design starting from the top of the mountain to the very bottom .. you will be engaged in a super exciting race not just for winning but WINNING LIKE A BOSS

ebw9F3w.gif

ztQnry9.gif

We need a games like this in next gen console with great graphics and more fun like MotorStorm , Blur and spilt seconds

Do you agree?

Yes, as well as another Driveclub, but... Rip evolution studios :(

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I was considering making this exact thread, but specially about Pacific Rift since that’s the only one I played.
Game was dooooope. Played the crap out of it.
A similar game with current/next-gen graphics would be crazy.

I did play the PR but i liked the first one a lot it was so much fun plus if you remember there was another game called Blur .. fun game really amazing gameplay with great soundtrack

...Well, I've been planning to get Pacific rift for a while now and finally just ordered it. Hopefully, it lives up to the praise.

Last edited:

WorldHero

I feel like the GPU and CPU tech have finally caught up to where a really impressive title can be made, just too bad Sony cut the team. Hopefully they can revisit this franchise next gen and bring back the old guys. I really appreciated their ambition with Motorstorm and Driveclub.

MotorStorm 2 was amazing (the first one was ok and the third was a bit too much IMO)... and it sucked that they stopped making these and made DriveClub instead... and then got shut down by Sony :/
Yeah, the only thing that they seemed to have kept in driveclub from motorstorm is the shaky camera to give a sense of speed.

Given that driveclub is meant to be an arcade racer it should have at the very least retained the wide open driving areas, and maybe some level of set pieces...they should have compromised the graphics to make the game 60fps 😐, however it works out well enough at 30 (I still play it from to time).

I thought the one on PS2 (and PSP I think) called Arctic Edge was pretty cool and it's the one I sunk most of my time into. I played the first one around PS3 launch. It was neat. I skipped the second one and bought the third one many years later.

I tend to like racing / driving games where a core part of the challenge is weaving between obstacles (Crazy Taxi, Burnout, Outrun) so I should probably pick up the second one since I heard it is the best one.
Pacific Rift is indeed the best in the series. It's not so much about weaving between obstacles (not as much as Crazy Taxi anyway) though as it is managing your boost meter which you can better do in Pacific Rift with the rapid engine cool down whenever you drive through water in the game. Another thing that I like about the sequel is that there are different environment themed race courses and it makes the racing even more strategic. I think you'll very much like it.

I played Arctic Edge on the PS2 though it was originally a PSP game so I don't think many people remember it as much as the other games on PS3. I would much rather have seen it remastered on PS3 or even PS Vita instead of the RC game no one asked for, haha.

Last edited:

Rayderism

I've always imagined a new Motorstorm that would take the word "storm" seriously......racing through rain storms, blizzards, dust storms, tsumani's, hurricanes, earthquakes....stuff like that. Apocalypse came close, but they messed up the single-player campaign to where it just felt like less content, not to mention some of the tracks in that game were a bit too ridiculous.

I really wanted to like OnRush, but I didn't like how they determined who won a race in the various modes the game had. I respect that they tried to do something different, but I just wanted more Motorstorm, not that goofy points system they came up with. The fact that the game bombed tells me most people wanted, and were expecting, the same thing, and since it didn't end up being Motorstorm with a different name, people hated it.

I wouldn't mind if Sony just did remasters of the 4 currently existing Motorstorm games, with better load times, 60fps and upscaled graphics. I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

I did play the PR but i liked the first one a lot it was so much fun plus if you remember there was another game called Blur .. fun game really amazing gameplay with great soundtrack
I was obsessed with the first MotorStorm ever since they released the CG trailer and the gameplay demo of the yellow buggy driving through the mud to showcase the real-time track deformation. But Pacific Rift is like the Uncharted 2 of racing games - a sequel that's better in every way. More vehicle types, a greater variety of courses, water and heat affecting your boost meter (making races more strategic), ramming other vehicles, and I think the race customization was better or at least I remember experimenting with it more in Pacific Rift.

drotahorror

I've always imagined a new Motorstorm that would take the word "storm" seriously......racing through rain storms, blizzards, dust storms, tsumani's, hurricanes, earthquakes....stuff like that. Apocalypse came close, but they messed up the single-player campaign to where it just felt like less content, not to mention some of the tracks in that game were a bit too ridiculous.

I really wanted to like OnRush, but I didn't like how they determined who won a race in the various modes the game had. I respect that they tried to do something different, but I just wanted more Motorstorm, not that goofy points system they came up with. The fact that the game bombed tells me most people wanted, and were expecting, the same thing, and since it didn't end up being Motorstorm with a different name, people hated it.

I wouldn't mind if Sony just did remasters of the 4 currently existing Motorstorm games, with better load times, 60fps and upscaled graphics. I'd buy those in a heartbeat.

As much as I dislike open world in my racers (although there are a few good open-world racers), I had a similar dream for Motorstorm. It would take a place on an island, all types of weather and all types terrain (desert, jungle, snow, etc). Everything would be connected in way or another, but you'd also have rivers, streams, etc throughout the island. So not only would there be offroad vehicles, you'd have boats, jetski's, other aquatic vehicles as well. But each race would be closed, but feel like a motorstorm track with different terrain/mud for different vehicles. Maybe even some races would let you race land vs sea.

fuck I miss motorstorm. Please just give us remasters so I can play @60fps and 1080p.

Last edited:

angelgs90

I think Motorstorm was the first game I saw runing on a PS3 back then, in a games store.

I remember being astonished with the graphics and phisics.

Shmunter

I was a 360 owner at the time, picked up a PS3 for a laugh with some exclusives, Motorstorm being one of them.

I remember very clearly playing the game thinking to myself, you just don’t get this caliber of craftsmanship anywhere else. Part of my journey towards Sony over time.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Pacific Rift controlled like shit I'm legit shocked people are saying it was the best

Maybe I was doing something wrong I dunno I didn't own it very long I hated it so much I sold it asap

I love 1 & 3 and still play 3 from time to time

Buki1

It plays well, though it's visual design was unfortunately based entirely on Poochie.

5htjuh9.png

Fortnite type beat. Nothing puts me off more than this kind of colorfull puke of design. So many games got destroyed because devs decided to go "hello fellow kids" route and make whole game looks based on screaming style of youtube thumbnails done by fortnite streamers.

MotorStorm 2 was amazing (the first one was ok and the third was a bit too much IMO)... and it sucked that they stopped making these and made DriveClub instead... and then got shut down by Sony :/

The quality of Driveclub is better than all 3 motorstorms together. People forget that Motorstorm 3 wasnt a hit and which is why they stopped because they ran out of crative juice for the franchise. It was a mess in development, you couldnt see shit where you go unless you know the map off by heart.

Pacific Rift controlled like shit I'm legit shocked people are saying it was the best

Maybe I was doing something wrong I dunno I didn't own it very long I hated it so much I sold it asap

Huhhh. Pacific Rift was ihmo the best of 3 by far. So much variety, fun, awesome settings.

This

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Huhhh. Pacific Rift was ihmo the best of 3 by far. So much variety, fun, awesome settings.

yeah it looked cool but as I said it controlled like complete shit I had no issue with the first or third game PR I could barely control the car

G-Bus

Banned

Nope. Do not agree.

Once you learned the lines for tracks and proper vehicles.. best racing experience ever. Some of those tracks in a rally car are insane. So tight and the speed.

As much as I want a new Motorstorm I know it probably won't top Pacific rift.

Motorstorm was the only racing series I could get into. Never played DriveClub.
I’d be happy for at least a Motorstorm remastered collection.

CamHostage

Pacific Rift is indeed the best in the series. It's not so much about weaving between obstacles (not as much as Crazy Taxi anyway) though as it is managing your boost meter which you can better do in Pacific Rift with the rapid engine cool down whenever you drive through water in the game. Another thing that I like about the sequel is that there are different environment themed race courses and it makes the racing even more strategic. I think you'll very much like it.

I played Arctic Edge on the PS2 though it was originally a PSP game so I don't think many people remember it as much as the other games on PS3. I would much rather have seen it remastered on PS3 or even PS Vita instead of the RC game no one asked for, haha.

I'm not going to get into my feelings on this franchise too much that I'm a downer in this thread... (I could never get into Motorstorm, the first game was fun enough once you found a rhythm of the turbos but I never loved its variety since too many of the vehicles weren't much fun to drive, then Pacific Rift should have been more exciting because the first game was a little too samey visually but the demo turned me off in the handling for some reason and then Motorstorm Apocalypse had nice atmosphere but wasn't as exciting as Split-Second and yet ironically also felt too much like a crash derby than a game where you perfected your race lines. The PSP/PS2 Arctic Edge, I remember quite fondly (I have a thing where the portable entry tends to be my favorite if not only pick of the franchise; I'm also that way with Killzone Liberation and Mercenary,) although watching a video of it now, it does look a bit too oriented around backend-steered vehicle control.)

MotorStorm RC though was a breath of fresh air, because nothing else was like it out in the world at the time. The track selection was limited, and the challenge was pretty high and sometimes frustrating (from what I could remember of trying to progress in it?), but the movement was fast and the drift control gave you a lot to come back to. MotorStorm RC is the type of spin-off franchise game that I wish publishers made more of these days. It was cheap and fun, and exactly the kind of thing I asked for.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
It's unfortunate that Evolution Studios never tried to make their games 60 fps. Oh well.
Not really. The whole experience would have been compromised.

Anotherbexamole is Zelda OOT.
Or Shadow of the colossus.

Some masterpieces were possible thanks to not obssese over fps.

If you want something relatively new from these guys you can give OnRush a go. It released in 2019. After Evolution was closed they were scooped up by Codemasters which formed Codemasters Evo. They were pretty much scrapped after this game tanked though.

It's not quite the same, but it has more in common with Motorstorm than anything else I can think of.

It plays well, though it's visual design was unfortunately based entirely on Poochie.

5htjuh9.png

They also made the crappy Dirt 5.

ToadMan

Any similar games released in the last few years?
FH5 is basically a motorstorm.
Yeah FH5 is bland and tries too hard to be cool with the whole pop culture/social
Media presentation style, and the open world aspect kind of diminishes the focus of what events there are, but if motorstorm had continued, FH5 is what it would have become no doubt.

ToadMan

Wouldn't you say Forza horizion is MotorStorm esque? Or is it deemed to be too simulator orientated?

Yeah the feel of FH5 immediately reminded me of later motorstorms.

And not in a good way because the later motorstorms were looking for gimmicks and that’s what FH5 tries to do as well.

Pacific Rift is one of my favourite games of all time, not just favourite racers. Still play it occasionally. A remaster of Apocalypse for the visual craziness it had at times, especially in 3D, that would be something on PS5. The Digital Foundry 4 page Making of article for it is still quite the read

SkylineRKR

Pacific Rift online was awesome.

The game kept you on edge, also against the AI. Because one mistake or too long boost would be fatal. Even if you knew the track inside out, there were always hazards or shortcuts that could blindside you in the heat of battle. The AI wasn't pulling any punches either, it was rather tough.

I managed to get Apocalypse which was sort of half pulled from shops because of the tsunami. It looked excellent, but wasn't as good as PR.

yurinka

I think the first was weak at launch until they patched the controls, but loved the other ones, even Motorstorm RC. They were super fun, pure adrenaline.

Firesprite has a lot of pedigree/former staff from Evolution Studios, Bizarre Creations and SCEE Liverpool, plus they made successful AAA-ish VR games. So I think they should continue hiring former Evo/SCEE Liverpool/Bizarre Creations staff and make a PSVR2 compatible (meaning it can be played outside VR) brand new Motorstorm and Wipeout games.

I think they could also fit with GaaS releasing new seasons with new SP & MP game modes, vehicles, circuits, music tracks or stuff to customize your vehicle. Who knows, if successful they could even become eSports like Gran Turismo.

But always making sure they offer a very complete and solid single player experience at launch.

Harden the fuck up Sony and rebuild Evolution!
Firesprite basically is Evolution + SCEE Liverpool + Bizarre Creations + people who worked in other AAA games or young talent.

Wouldn't you say Forza horizion is MotorStorm esque? Or is it deemed to be too simulator orientated?
Yes. I think Forza Motorsport was created to have their own Gran Turismo, and Forza Horizon to have their own Need for Speed meets Motorstorm.

But even if featuring the festival thing and being more arcade than Motorstorm, it's a bit 'too simulator' when compared to the crazy and insane arcade madness that was Motorstorm.

I think that if Motorstorm comes back, to update it differentiate themselves of both Gran Turismo and Forza Horizon they should focus on:
  • Mood: Adrenaline, spectacularity, crazyness with a lot of destruction, realistic mud and big explosions
  • Setting: festival, wilderness, punk with unique visual and sound identity to make the brand unique and easy to recognize
  • Arcade gameplay: super easy controls, big ass nitros, car damage and destruction, many ways to score points or win not only by being the 1st one to cross the line at the end of the race
  • A few buzzwords to make the bosses and investors happy: VR, GaaS, SP + online MP, eSports

Last edited:
Top Bottom