• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Series S necessary for Microsoft?

Was Series S necessary for Xbox to succeed this gen?

• No, MS could have sold just as many with just Series X

Votes: 56 30.9%
  • Yes, a low cost option has provided a boost

Votes: 109 60.2%
  • The advantage of Series S has yet to play out

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • It could have but MS haven't delivered enough units

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

PhaseJump

Banned
It's gonna haunt the whole generation as PS5/XSX need to babysit it.

37865-Michael-Myers-Gif.gif

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It wasn't "necessary" in that MS would've done just fine without it, but it was definitely the right move and has undoubtedly helped boost sales.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Imagine if Ferrari owners made a poll "are smaller and cheaper cars necessary when you can just buy a Ferrari?"

Congrats that you can afford an expensive console. Not everyone can.

Series s costs the same as the entry of previous gen, series x is like double as expensive as entry price last gen.

At least in my country.

kyliethicc

Thread is not to discuss if Series X "holds back games" or anything of the like, but rather whether it was necessary from a business POV

With the launch of next gen consoles, MS made the unique choice of launching the low powered Series S alongside the main console

Seemingly there could have been a few advantages to this approach that we theorised at the time of announcement

1) Gain a competitive price advantage
2) Flood the market to gain the lead in unit sales with the easier to manufacture unit
3) Offset the impact of of the generational price increase

While they got the price advantage, it was minimised at launch by the $400 PS5 DE.

However I think it did help with them being able to message a $499 Series X, and disguise the higher cost of entry at launch.

I dont think it has helped them in driving larger adoption rates and I think overall the majority of users - particularly those in the launch phases have not been discouraged by high prices. Reflected in people buying PS5 and Series X way above market price

We are getting closer to the point of Pro consoles starting to come out in the next 24 months so it may be a case where Series S starts to become even more redundant
microsoft have decided that xbox is to become a budget gaming brand. gamepass and sbox are attempts to offer people good enough for what appear like lower prices.

Hestar69

Yes anyone who complains that it's going to hurt the series X and ps5 is a Moron or fanboy. I could only get the series S at first and now I have a X . I gave the series S to my cousin to play pubg with us and he loves it.

The consoles great for casuals who just want to play the big games with friends.

Last edited:

MAtgS

Oh God, these threads are the new "We need a Switch Pro", aren't they?

In any event, I wasn't getting an X anyway. I got PS5 as my big boy premium machine and Series A as my Game Pass and RetroArch box. It's been a good setup for me.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Oh God, these threads are the new "We need a Switch Pro", aren't they?

In any event, I wasn't getting an X anyway. I got PS5 as my big boy premium machine and Series A as my Game Pass and RetroArch box. It's been a good setup for me.
Oh lord, I forgot about the Switch Pro stuff, lol.

It's a great move in many ways, irrespective of how a particular gamer feels about it -
  • The S essentially replaces the Xbox One while giving Xbox a performance leg up against later stage sales and install base of PS4 etc.
  • S has the cheaper entry point, over time moves into an "impulse buy" category faster than X.
  • Most households do not own a 4K TV/display as yet. Most are still on HD, perfect for series S. Many kids are on a hand-me-down TV or second unit that is even older.
  • The manufacturing from the initial design and development is hand in hand with the Series X, saving wastages and improving yields fit for purpose uses etc e.g. solid backend business basically.
  • The form factor and running costs are minimised e.g. away from just USA.
  • Great emulation device.
  • Shares activities across PC via Xbox/GP and enjoys cross play, cross saves, security, community/friends/chat/achievements etc.
  • Cheaper secondary gaming device in the house e.g. parent vs child or younger siblings.
  • Full digital experience and library is a thing e.g. no need for a disc drive.
  • Great backwards compatible device e.g. minor upgrades, tradeins, replacements for older consoles.
  • Discreet all in one device e.g. streaming apps, gaming, movies, music etc. Just connect it to a TV and all is available.
  • Ongoing savings with Gamepass e.g. parents buy a device and a sub or sub later when they get sick of buying games etc.
  • Accessibility e.g. the S and Adaptive Controller go hand in hand.
  • There is also the All Access subscription plans where you bundle the hardware + GP for 2 years and pay a fixed monthly fee e.g. mobile/cell and telco subscription model. There's basically zero interest on the deal, pretty sweet actually.
When you look at the business reasons it's very well packaged. PC gaming has been running dynamic targets for devices, drivers, brands, patches, OSs etc etc etc for decades. What so many don't realise is even within the one brand, Xbox example here, there are many revisions and changes of hardware, OS, APIs, game upates, hot fixes etc. The developers already run many deployment targets such as PC, mobile/iOS, Xbox, PS, Nintendo. The OG Xbox One had some 6 major hardware revisions, 4 different DVD drives, 2 brands of HDD with 5 different models/metrics, 3 brands and 7 versions of video encoder versions, 7 BIOS versions etc. Developers deal with more than just saying "Xbox Series S" supported.

Last edited:
As a hardcore enthusiast I personally don't like the potential impact of limiting games by the low hardware (though theoretically having the same CPU and SSD should allow the Series S to "run" pure next gen games just at terrible graphics/performance), but from a market share perspective it was a genius move by Microsoft, it gets tons more people into the Xbox ecosystem, and gives people a cheap option during tough financial times. Even Playstation primary gamers could easily buy one to play Starfield or Halo (assuming they don't play PC) It basically means for most practical terms, the only way you're "locked out" of playing Xbox exclusives is if you're doing it to yourself

Aenima

No. The fact that the series X has been sold out multiple times for the last 2 years and the series S never sold out here, is proof that was not needed. MS clear understimated how much ppl are willing to spend on a new console.

No. The fact that the series X has been sold out multiple times for the last 2 years and the series S never sold out here, is proof that was not needed. MS clear understimated how much ppl are willing to spend on a new console.
The evidence shows that XSS has helped get more people into the Xbox ecosystem than previous Xboxes. Oh and a system selling out doesn't mean that it is more popular. XSS get restocked quickly. All the XSS' I've seen in stores has the new holiday packaging. You really think those systems have been sitting there unsold for months or years?

Aenima

The evidence shows that XSS has helped get more people into the Xbox ecosystem than previous Xboxes. Oh and a system selling out doesn't mean that it is more popular. XSS get restocked quickly. All the XSS' I've seen in stores has the new holiday packaging. You really think those systems have been sitting there unsold for months or years?
Looking at online shops from my country the xbox series X has triple the amount of user reviews than the series S. Which implies that is the most sold console. And if one is sold out and the other never is. Is not because they are fast restocking one model.

Last edited:
It hasn't helped them much at all beyond the obvious modest increase in yields due to the smaller die size... but even then MS couldn't buy enough wafers to gain an adoption lead in the market.

Component scarcity basically ruined the chances of XSS achieving its goals; essentially making it redundant. MS would have been much better off in hindsight foregoing XSS, and buying more wafers to increase XSX production, while keeping the focus on a single console SKU.

Going in with XSS has cost them revenue when every next-gen console SKU has been sold out for the past 2 yrs because both MS and Sony can't make enough consoles to keep up with demand.

Justin9mm

It was to make Gamepass accessible to more people not wanting to invest in the Series X.

Everyone knows this. This itself made it necessary for Xbox to boost subscription numbers.

What I can tell you is that it's a big hinderance to the development on current gen 1st party Xbox titles.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thread is not to discuss if Series X "holds back games" or anything of the like, but rather whether it was necessary from a business POV

With the launch of next gen consoles, MS made the unique choice of launching the low powered Series S alongside the main console

Seemingly there could have been a few advantages to this approach that we theorised at the time of announcement

1) Gain a competitive price advantage
2) Flood the market to gain the lead in unit sales with the easier to manufacture unit
3) Offset the impact of of the generational price increase

While they got the price advantage, it was minimised at launch by the $400 PS5 DE.

However I think it did help with them being able to message a $499 Series X, and disguise the higher cost of entry at launch.

I dont think it has helped them in driving larger adoption rates and I think overall the majority of users - particularly those in the launch phases have not been discouraged by high prices. Reflected in people buying PS5 and Series X way above market price

We are getting closer to the point of Pro consoles starting to come out in the next 24 months so it may be a case where Series S starts to become even more redundant
It was neccessary for them because for whatever reason they werent able to secure even 50% of the PS5 stock for the XSX. XSS is now outselling the XSX with the splits being effectively 50:50. MS has yet to release numbers but last numbers we had were 13 million to 20 million which means only 6.5 million XSX vs 20 million PS5s. They wouldve lost the gen in the first year if they hadnt come out with the xss. 13 million keeps them competitive until CoD becomes an exclusive, and then they might have a chance to top Playstation.

You can bet they will release a Series S model for their next gen console to target the cod userbase who doesnt care about resolutions.

MarkMe2525

The only thing that is proof of is MS has been able to capitalize on more potential sales because there is a product they can actually keep on shelves. Imagine how many customers MS would have missed out on if their $500 box, that is sold out consistently, was the only option available for purchase.

Aenima

The only thing that is proof of is MS has been able to capitalize on more potential sales because there is a product they can actually keep on shelves. Imagine how many customers MS would have missed out on if their $500 box, that is sold out consistently, was the only option available for purchase.
If series S didnt existed, MS had more components to manufactor series X. So there would be more series X available to purchase than there is actually as they have to split the manufactor components between 2 models.

MarkMe2525

If series S didnt existed, MS had more components to manufactor series X. So there would be more series X available to purchase than there is actually as they have to split the manufactor components between 2 models.
To an extent of course, but we are talking millions upon millions. The S and X use different ssd's, apu's, psu's, coolers etc... It is a misnomer to assume for every Series S manufactured there is one less Series X on store shelves, on the contrary, Series S production probably doesn't eat Into X production by a very large amount.

Looking at online shops from my country the xbox series X has triple the amount of user reviews than the series S. Which implies that is the most sold console. And if one is sold out and the other never is. Is not because they are fast restocking one model.
Well tons of Switch consoles on the shelf around here. Obviously no one is buying one! Using anecdotal evidence is not a way of determining if something is selling.

Kataploom

Gold Member
ps5 de is 400 in usa
and xbox ss is 300 there.
Other parts of the world of course 50 more for ps5.

Still not worth it to sacrifice power and great games for this much
In Colombia XSS is around 1.7M pesos, the cheapest PS5 is around 3M pesos, once you consider that most people earn around 1.5M to 4M pesos (well at least as far as I've seen personally), you can see how the top average earners (not the top of the top high middle class) can get still buy the cheapest PS5 but will rather save some money and just get the XSS instead, unless it's a diehard Sony fan.

Even if it's just around $200, in other currencies the perceived difference is way bigger, in US Dollars EVERYTHING looks cheaper, even if seen from an outsider perspective, but in different countries with different currencies the perception of distances between two amounts of money tend to differentiate a lot from USA

Not necessarily, it probably was a multipurpose play from Microsoft, part of it might be assure components for their consoles, maybe CPU waffles are shared but memory, storage and GPU aren't, also the rest of the components are smaller so they are cheaper in general, if by that you can make sure more consoles get to more homes without competing for the same components with Sony, that's a shot in the ground imo

I got an s and it’s great. Really like it. I wouldn’t have bought an Xbox if it wasn’t out there so for me it is great. Awesome gamepass machine
I bought one for my wife, and I play on the X. I’ve messed around on it (that’s my home console so we can game share and game pass share), and it is an awesome machine. I think a lot of people that hate on it haven’t actually used it.

Topher

Gold Member
Had one and would have kept it if I didn't decide to go all in on PC. I hope they up the storage on future Series S models though. 512GB fills up stupid quick.

That's the other brilliant play by Xbox. Flexibility to play on whatever platform you choose.

Yeah, I've said before that storage space was my only complaint and why I decided to go with X. I think they should leave the price point at $299 but double the SSD size. And get some more vendors selling the damn expansion cards. This Seagate monopoly is absurd.

MarkMe2525

Yeah, I've said before that storage space was my only complaint and why I decided to go with X. I think they should leave the price point at $299 but double the SSD size. And get some more vendors selling the damn expansion cards. This Seagate monopoly is absurd.
My daughter has one and an external ssd made all the difference. Went from taking 25 minutes to transfer Battlefield V from HHD to internal to around 4 minutes. I also agree going with a doubling of the internal SSD vs a traditional price cut.

Last edited:

McRazzle

I never had a XBOX before the Series S, and if they didn't make it, I still wouldn't.
I don't have a next gen-game worthy PC, so it's absolutely perfect for taking advantage of GamePass.

Having a cheaper option is always good. But they needed to just have a version of the X without a disc drive and knock of $50 or so. The S is only hindering the X and PS5(for multplatform games). On top of that games are still being made for PS4 and XBO, so that's not helping either. They might sell more because it's the "cheap" next gen option, but i think it's hurt more than helped all gamers.

Gamerguy84

You never know. Maybe MS sees the success of this console and runs with it from now on. They might just double down and go low spec hardware from here on out.

Seeing the success of Switch not to mention they only care about GP subs.

More choice is always a good thing.

Pitched as significantly cheaper than the Series X, with enough of an upgrade over the One S and S, and with the cheapness of Game Pass, it definitely has a place.

The issue seems to be that some think it is holding the Series X back, and I suppose the ps5 by extension as regards multi platform releases.

I find this strange, as almost all AAA titles are still releasing on ps4 and Xbox One, and are also built with the pc market in mind - a market which has far more hardware discrepancies among it's potential customer base than anything on console.

If you can build a game that will/has to run on everything from a 1060 up to a 4090, I don't see why the Series S is an especially difficult entity to incorporate into that hardware spectrum.

Top Bottom