• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WARHAWK, BITCHES! gameplay video

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Wollan said:
What people tend to forget is that the PS3 Warhawk also have a FPS mode(and vechicle mode too). Think about it, land your oil spilling good ol'Warhawk at a enemy hangar and jump out guns blazing. Oh yeah!
no thx plz

3kuSaS

Unconfirmed Member
Wow! At first I was pissed that they made us wait so long for another Warhawk, but I think waiting this long for another Warhawk instead of having a sequel every year leading up to this will make this game something special

Wollan

Wollan said:
What people tend to forget is that the PS3 Warhawk also have a FPS mode(and vechicle mode too). Think about it, land your oil spilling good ol'Warhawk at a enemy hangar and jump out guns blazing. Oh yeah!

Oh no, they ruined it. :lol Nah, it's Incog folks. Good hands, good hands.
(Though, this hasn't been 100% confirmed yet. PSM rumours as well as E3 trailer hints at it though)

What's wrong with having FPS sections that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be shoddy, we haven't even seen anything from it yet and people are already condemning it

What is the FPS rumor based on, the short trailer at E3 that showed a closeup of a soldier? Incog hasn't released any details afaik.

edit- didnt see Wollan's post. What did PSM say about it?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I realize it's not the same type of game or anything, but when playing Sky Odyssey for PS2 I sometimes felt an urge to land, jump out of the plane and do some exploring Indiana Jones-style. It really nailed that kind of adventure atmosphere. Please, Sky Odyssey next-gen with on-foot exploring. That would be awesome!

Wakune said:
I mean for fuck's sake...one of the endings has your character dying only to have the bad guy choke to death on a chicken bone

:lol

Anybody have a video?

I have the game but I never completed and I can't because it's scratched to hell and won't load. I can transfer the .str files off the disc, but none of the Playstation movie players will play them:

warhawk9gf.jpg
... :(

Wollan

I don't have the mag myself but CVG and IGN I think both reported on the PSM rumours saying something like PSM mentioning inside devs calling Warhawk the 'Star Wars Killer' or something. :lol Mostly air but with fps and vechicle sections also.

jgkspsx

Soundwave 2k4 said:
What's wrong with having FPS sections that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be shoddy, we haven't even seen anything from it yet and people are already condemning it
Several games have tried air combat/on foot combat and failed. StarFox Assault did the trilogy of air/ground/on foot combat, and sucked ass.

Has SingleTrac/Incog ever made an on-foot game of any kind (edit: besides Outwars)? Jet Moto doesn't count.

They developed games in pairs, at first.
PS1: Warhawk/Twisted Metal. Jet Moto/Twisted Metal 2. Critical Depth. Road Trip Vacation 2012. Twisted Metal Small Brawl.
PC: Outwars (OMG HALO PROTOTYPE) -- they did after all!
PS2: Twisted Metal Black. Downhill Domination. War of the Monsters.
PSP: Twisted Metal Head On (Make Warhawk mini please please please)
PS3: Warhawk/something else?

Outwars was very fun. If on-foot is something like that, it could work. Hadn't Singletrac bled most of the Incog people by the time Microsoft bought them from GT Interactive, though?

EDIT: Removed "Lame Jet Moto Clone" -- that was a SCE San Jose thing, I guess, added Downhill Domination and War of the Monsters.

How "on foot" did War of the Monsters feel? It seemed sort of like a bipedal Twisted Metal to me :)

Wollan said:
I don't have the mag myself but CVG and IGN I think both reported on the PSM rumours saying something like PSM mentioning inside devs calling Warhawk the 'Star Wars Killer' or something. :lol Mostly air but with fps and vechicle sections also.

I hope not ...I remember the starfox games sucking due to this. The water looks freaking incredible.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jgkspsx said:
Several games have tried air combat/on foot combat and failed. StarFox Assault did the trilogy of air/ground/on foot combat, and sucked ass.

Has SingleTrac/Incog ever made an on-foot game of any kind (edit: besides Outwars)? Jet Moto doesn't count.

They developed games in pairs, at first.
PS1: Warhawk/Twisted Metal. Jet Moto/Twisted Metal 2. Critical Depth. Road Trip Vacation 2012. Twisted Metal Small Brawl.
PC: Outwars (OMG HALO PROTOTYPE) -- they did after all!
PS2: Twisted Metal Black/Lame Jet Moto Clone.
PSP: Twisted Metal Head On (Make Warhawk mini please please please)
PS3: Warhawk/something else?

Outwars was very fun. If on-foot is something like that, it could work. Hadn't Singletrac bled most of the Incog people by the time Microsoft bought them from GT Interactive, though?

War of the Monsters? :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jgkspsx said:
PS2: Twisted Metal Black/Lame Jet Moto Clone.
Are you thinking Jet X2O? That wasn't Incognito. Or Downhill Domination? That wasn't a JM clone and it wasn't lame.

element

Crimson WarHawk Skies!!!

Some of those shots look just like Crimson Skies first levels. Looks good though, water is amazing looking.

jgkspsx

kaching said:
Are you thinking Jet X2O? That wasn't Incognito. Or Downhill Domination? That wasn't a JM clone and it wasn't lame.
No, I thought I remembered them doing a weird hoverboard game. I hope I didn't imagine it. IIRC it had some David Jaffe involvement.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jgkspsx said:
No, I thought I remembered them doing a weird hoverboard game. I hope I didn't imagine it. IIRC it had some David Jaffe involvement.
Nope, their PS2 projects were Twisted Metal: Black, Online TMB, War of the Monsters and Downhill Domination

jgkspsx

kaching said:
Nope, their PS2 projects were Twisted Metal: Black, Online TMB, War of the Monsters and Downhill Domination
I know, I edited my original post before your post :)

I wish I could remember the name of the game I was thinking of. I think it was a Sony team from California that actually did it. Ah well.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Maybe you're thinking of Kinetica? Not a hoverboard game but a weird racing by Sony Santa Monica.

Then there's Eyetoy Antigrav, which is hoverboarding, but that was done Harmonix, not a Sony team.

Wollan

He's thinking of a game by SCEE. It's like the scateboard in Back to the future...what the hell was it called again?..

Pimpwerx

Nice water, underwhelming everything else. But I understand it's early and just a demo...I hope. I mean, this has to improve like 10x to get me excited. Though I'd probably buy it anyway, since I had fun with the first game. PEACE.

jgkspsx

Wollan said:
He's thinking of a game by SCEE. It's like the scateboard in Back to the future...what the hell was it called again?..
I conflated that with Kinetica, obviously. At least I didn't imagine it!

Finding a particular obscure racing game on the PS2 is a difficult task. I don't think it was Eyetoy Antigrav, but at this point, I'll punt and say that's it. Now back to the regularly scheduled thread...

Beowvlf

Banned
Here's the rumor from IGN about on-foot missions in Warhawk, though IMO their theorizing is pretty thin, and considering neither Incog nor Sony has made any mention of the possibility of on-foot segments, I have a feeling the game will be solely flight action:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/638/638298p1.html

"In addition to raw quantity, the Incog spy says Warhawk will feel killer, too: "Most people describe it as Halo meets Star Wars meets Crimson Skies." Fans of flight action will hope that means Tie Fighter plus Zipper's Crimson Skies on PC, but it could just relate the style and feel Incog is shooting for, since the source goes on to note that it's retro like CS, though not quite so much.

But what's up with the Halo nod? Well, gamers who caught our PS3 coverage will have surely noticed the incredible soldiers present at the beginning of the Warhawk demonstration.

It seems unlikely that Incog would go through such trouble to meticulously render ground-based models that would only get seen from an altitude of 7,000 feet and a speed of 500 miles per hour. So according to the rumor, those characters are actually part of an extensive on-foot component. We're taking the Halo mention as a "tell" and assuming it's going to be first-person. It's also said that the game is squad-based. If that applies to both aerial combat and land action is not yet clear.
"

Flimsy reasoning as far as I'm concerned; the soldiers shown were just CG I believe, and they could've just been from a cutscene. Not to mention in IGN's new eyes-on impressions of the TGS trailer, nary do they mention any possible on-foot stuff (or why it isn't shown).

Something from the rumor article that does interest me however, is this:

"The informant states that the underlying technology allows the game to feature upwards of "2,000 enemies on-screen at once." While this number may seem impossible, try to recall the vast amount of individual entities present in Capcom's Dead Rising, Microsoft's Kameo, Q Entertainment's Ninety Nine Nights, and Factor 5's Lair -- not to mention Incog's older E3 trailer. Consider those, then doubt. Hell, just play Rome: Total War!"

Ooooooh BABY!!

n3mo_toad

absolutely beautiful. But I think I echo a few comments already made when I say, watching this vid makes me want a new Crimson Skies. :)

Norse

Talk about Crimson Skies rippoff....that lloked like they put out new plane pack to d/l on xbox live.

The first level in Crimson Skies is almost exactly like this warhawk video. Right down to the islands.

Dante

Holy shit, I though that looked awesome for being so early, Very very smooth, and the water looked amazing.

Norse said:
Talk about Crimson Skies rippoff....that lloked like they put out new plane pack to d/l on xbox live.

The first level in Crimson Skies is almost exactly like this warhawk video. Right down to the islands.

Warhawk came before Crimson Skies.

I think it looks ok, looks like enemy ai hasn't been implemented yet.

3kuSaS

Unconfirmed Member
WTF is wrong with you guys complaining about the graphics? If every next gen game was to look photorealistic, then graphics wise games would get boring real quick. I'm sure it could look better a bit better and it probably will when its finished, but to say that everything but the water looks like shit is fucking stupid.

I've got my WarHawk disc to work on a PC emulator :D

A refresher of how it looked back then:

warhawk10yc.jpg

warhawk7al.jpg

Swarmers:

warhawk40an.jpg

warhawk28qs.jpg

- nice to see them back in the PS3 version looking better than ever.
jam4jv.gif

jgkspsx

Awesome perspective to put this into!

God that game had terrible pop-in. It even put Twisted Metal 1 to shame :lol

I hope they keep the "building boss" meme alive. That pyramid was one of my favorite bosses ever. The last two levels of the original were frightening, though.

Drakken said:
J.A.G. (stands for Judge Advocate General) is a fantastic military TV show that has its final season earlier this year. It had a great opening theme...it will be missed. :-/

Catherine Bell will be missed, not so sure about the show once it got past the fourth or fifth season. ^_^

WARHAW! GOT CHOO ALL IN CHECK!!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wax Free Vanilla said:
I've got my WarHawk disc to work on a PC emulator :D

A refresher of how it looked back then:

warhawk10yc.jpg

warhawk7al.jpg

Swarmers:

warhawk40an.jpg

warhawk28qs.jpg

- nice to see them back in the PS3 version looking better than ever.
jam4jv.gif

Man, that brings back memories. I loved the Volcano stage where the air had a thick layer of clouds that you had to dive through.

J2 Cool

Hmm, crap loads of enemies being shot down at once looked fun as hell. Amazing water. Missing some solid colors and environments though. Everything's that muddy greyish color. Doesn't give you an idea of the ship really being in that world. Needs some better rendering on the ships and environment. But it looks potentially awesome.

Gattsu25

Banned
element said:
which emulator are you using?
Code:
 [url]http://www.epsxe.com/files/epsxe160.zip[/url]               (ePSXe 1.6.0 Win32) [b][ePSXe][/b]
[url]http://www.epsxe.com/files/epsxe160lin.zip[/url]            (ePSXe 1.6.0 Linux) [b][ePSXe][/b]
[url]http://www.pbernert.com/gpupeteogl206.zip[/url]             (Pete's OpenGL2 PSX GPU Plugin) [b][Graphics][/b]
[url]http://www.pbernert.com/cdrpeops104.zip[/url]               (Pete's PSX CD  Pludin) [b][Optional - CD][/b]
[url]http://www1.odn.ne.jp/psx-alternative/download/spuEternal141_win.zip[/url] (Eternal Plugin 1.41 Win32) [b][Audio][/b]
[url]http://www1.odn.ne.jp/psx-alternative/download/spuEternal141_linux.tgz[/url] (Eternal Plugin 1.41 Linux) [b][Audio][/b]
Hope that helps

also:
http://ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=30379

edit: appearently, Pete's updated his plugins...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Two screenshots of the Warhawk's perfect water.

warhawkwater1lg.jpg

Real-time gameplay screenshot!!!
warhawkwater20wu.jpg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
dark10x said:
Was there are joke somewhere in this thread about RS3 or something?

I think so because nobody has seen water that looks as great as Warhawk's.

Striek

Looks hot. The mountains kind of look like ass, but that water is amazing, and the amount of planes on screen was impressive (though the E3 trailer seemed to have 1000s in it).

dark10x said:
Was there are joke somewhere in this thread about RS3 or something?
What do you expect from him.

Top Bottom