• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: New Executive Orders Floating Around Would Further Restrict Immigration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prologue

Same was said about the gay community but thats not true either. Lets worry about the things that have actually happened.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I've worked at companies that replace entire divisions with H-1B workers, so I'm fine with this bill. There is a use for the H-1B visa, but companies have abused the shit out of it.

What I'm concerned about is when Trump doesn't do his due diligence and makes a huge sweeping executive order. He's not going to take into account the huge amounts of migrant workers that the agricultural industry depends on...those are not jobs that people were harping on H-1B workers replacing.

The legislation is probably fine though.

rjinaz

I have vacation plans to the US, but I'm really not warming up to the idea of entering the US when it's becoming such a shitshow.

I mean, it's only been two weeks and people are already getting arrested, deported, and so on. By the time I go, there's no telling if they'll arrest me randomly or throw me into some black site just for having the wrong skin color. I wish I could say I'm being facetious but at this point I don't know anymore.

If you already have plans, I would say do it, if you aren't coming from a country the Trump administration sees as one of the bad ones you'll be fine for now.

I absolutely do not blame anybody though for not planning future trips to this regime however.

pr0cs

I've worked at companies that replace entire divisions with H-1B workers, so I'm fine with this bill. There is a use for the H-1B visa, but companies have abused the shit out of it.
Same with me but good luck having people with you on this forum

Ploid 3.0

What next? Only display crimes committed by immigrants or people that could be confused as immigrants and crack down on them, sicking police after any "suspicious" foreign person to fill up prisons with other slav... er prisoners?

ah. more intentional "leaks"

let's see if the GOP is dumb enough to tell him exactly how much he can get away with without being impeached

Glix

Same with me but good luck having people with you on this forum

I disagree.

I think if there was debate, and notice, and this sort of thing was handled in an appropriate way that is in line with the way our government was supposed to work, I would just object rather than be apoplectic.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So should we start planning to put the Statue of Liberty in Lake Ontario outside of Toronto?
The Statue of Liberty would probably be swimming towards Toronto and applying for refugee status if it could.

I bet The Onion has written something about this already.

I'm just going to leave this here, cause it seems appropriate (caricature from a Swiss daily newspaper):

vA0QaAL.jpg

(he's holding the executive order, btw. And the little touch with the too long tie is spot on)

Who in Europe deports immigrants? You're confusing immigrants with asylum seekers.

This is not even talking about illegal immigrants. It talks about immigrants in general who might need some social benefits at some point.

I believe Europe and Australia deny visa renewals. And cancel quest workers visas.

I don't read this to mention green-card holders. AKA permanent residents.

This is about strengthening the "public charge" inadmissibility.
https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge

(4) Public charge.-

(A) In general.-Any
alien who, in the opinion of the consular officer at the time of application for
a visa, or in the opinion of the Attorney General at the time of application for
admission or adjustment of status, is likely at any time to become a public
charge is inadmissible.

(B) Factors to be taken into account.- (i)
In determining whether an alien is
excludable under this paragraph, the consular officer or the Attorney General
shall at a minimum consider the alien's-

(I) age;

(II) health;

(III) family status;

(IV) assets, resources, and financial status; and

(V) education and skills

(ii) In addition to the factors under clause (i), the consular officer or the
Attorney General may also consider any affidavit of support under section
213A
for purposes of exclusion under this paragraph.

(C) Family-Sponsored immigrants.-Any alien who seeks admission or adjustment
of status under a visa issued under section 201(b)(2) or
203(a) is excludable
under this paragraph unless-

((i) the alien has obtained-

(I) status as a spouse or a child of a United States citizen pursuant to
clause (ii), (iii), or (iv) or section 204(a)(1)(A), or

(II) classification pursuant to clause (ii) or (iii) of section
204(a)(1)(B);

6aa

(III) 6aa classification or status as a VAWA self-petitioner; or

(ii) the person petitioning for the alien's admission
6aa (and any additional
sponsor required under section
213A(f) or any alternative sponsor permitted
under paragraph (5)(B) of such section) has executed an affidavit of support
described in section
213A with respect to such alien.

(D) Certain employment-based immigrants.-Any alien who seeks admission or
adjustment of status under a visa number issued under section 203(b) by virtue
of a classification petition filed by a relative of the alien (or by an entity
in which such relative has a significant ownership interest) is excludable under
this paragraph unless such relative has executed an affidavit of support
described in section
213A with respect to such alien.

(E)
6ab Special Rule for Qualified Aliens. - Subparagraphs (A), (B), and
(C) shall not apply to an alien who -

(i) is a VAWA self-petitioner;

(ii) is an applicant for, or is granted, nonimmigrant status
under section 101(a)(15)(U); or

(iii) is a qualified alien described in section 431(c) of the
Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (8
U.S.C. 1641(c)).

(5) Labor certification and qualifications for certain immigrants.-

(A) Labor certification.-

(i) In general.-Any alien who seeks to enter the United States for the
purpose of performing skilled or unskilled labor is inadmissible, unless the
Secretary of Labor has determined and certified to the Secretary of State and
the Attorney General that-

(I) there are not sufficient workers who are able, willing, qualified (or
equally qualified in the case of an alien described in clause (ii)) and
available at the time of application for a visa and admission to the United
States and at the place where the alien is to perform such skilled or unskilled
labor, and

(II) the employment of such alien will not adversely affect the wages and
working conditions of workers in the United States similarly employed.

(ii) Certain aliens subject to special rule.-For purposes of clause (i)(I),
an alien described in this clause is an alien who-

(I) is a member of the teaching profession, or

(II) has exceptional ability in the sciences or the arts.
Basically what is gonna happen is sessions is gonna "determine" that immigrants (especially brown ones) cost too much and hurt american jobs. which is just applying the law but with a racist attempt. The ACLU and other groups will likely argue based on studies this would be a bullshit interpretation

I would hope republicans would realize what was happening and step up.

For a shockingly large number of Republicans, these kinds of actions have been a desired step for quite some time. This kind of us vs. them narrative dominates the party's core constituent base.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My spouse lives in Canada, and as recently as like October I was applying for work on the west coast so we could move there together. Fucking nope. Fuck off with this shit, Dear Leader.

Me and my wife were planning to move to the US from Canada to be closer to family. Now we are thinking how to bring the family here.

rpmurphy

It weighs how to make America's immigration program ”more merit based," calls for site visits at companies that employ foreign workers, and tasks the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with producing a report twice a year on the total number of foreign-born people — not just nonimmigrant visa holders — who are authorized to work in the United States.
This is a incredible waste of taxpayer money for a non-issue.

Nativism is a drain on the country. Fight that.

soultron

Banned
Me and my wife were planning to move to the US from Canada to be closer to family. Now we are thinking how to bring the family here.

Same. Don't even want to travel to the US, let along think of living there now.

I thought this weekend was bad for the people targeted by the Muslim Ban, but it's about to get worse.

BasicMath

The Trump administration is considering a plan to weed out would-be immigrants who are likely to require public assistance, as well as to deport — when possible — immigrants already living in the United States who depend on taxpayer help, according to a draft executive order obtained by The Washington Post.
Does that mean that all immigrants get to pay a reduced tax rate since they'll never see some of the benefits that come from that? I mean, it only makes sense.

Even if it did mean that, this is still fucked up.
I'd be happy with just a significant reduction in H1B Visas and the continuation of the Obama's deportation record. Trump is being too aggressive on the issue.

I feel like this has more credence than the LGBT thing, because this basically builds on the ban and more or less goes hand-in-hand with everything Trump campaigned for. While he's surrounded by anti-LGBT people, he himself really doesn't seem to care one way or the other about it. Not to say I think there won't be anti-LGBT stuff in the future based on who is in his circle, but I don't think it's really on his list in any way or form right now. This just seems like a natural step basically on his actions so far.

Tahnit

Banned
Fucking hell you can't just go rounding people up and deporting them you will be ruining thousands of lives. FUCK

Same. Don't even want to travel to the US, let along think of living there now.

I thought this weekend was bad for the people targeted by the Muslim Ban, but it's about to get worse.

Yeah we frequently cross the border to do some shopping. Don't think that will happen anytime soon.

That H1B change going to affect my job too as I frequently travel to US on business.

Barzul

I feel like this has more credence than the LGBT thing, because this basically builds on the ban and more or less goes hand-in-hand with everything Trump campaigned for. While he's surrounded by anti-LGBT people, he himself really doesn't seem to care one way or the other about it. Not to say I think there won't be anti-LGBT stuff in the future based on who is in his circle, but I don't think it's really on his list in any way or form right now. This just seems like a natural step basically on his actions so far.

His mentor, I forget his name, some lawyer, was gay.

Piggus

Does anyone have a link to the draft of the EO or has it not been released yet?

I'm familiar with the laws relating the public charge but I need details on how they will actually change. For my situation (K1 visa for fiancée), I have to show that my income is at least 125% of the poverty line. That's not really a big deal, but if it's increased substantially then I'd have a big problem on my hands.

EDIT: Okay, I found it. As before, there are no fucking details about how the rules regarding public charge will change. It just instructs the secretary of homeland security to come up with new rules. Ugh.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Uhm holy shit, I have a lot of family that fits in this category I think. This would basically disrupt the big cities big time.

No fucking way people put up with this shit. I can't believe Trump and Bannon think they can pull it off.

UberTag

I really, really, really, really hope either WaPo is wrong, or these EO's never come to pass, cause if so, holy shit.
The Washington Post has about as pristine and polished a track record this political cycle as anyone. If they're reporting it, I'm believing it.

I might get a chance to work for a company with a US office (so the door might be open to a transfer later on) as a web dev this year if it all pans out well. As someone who might want to live in the US (at least for a while) and experience life there, Trump can go fuck himself.

Linkura

This is so disgusting I can't even. But I'm not surprised.

My mother in law has a green card and has been in the country for 45-50 years. I told my husband to tell her that she needs to either get US citizenship or go back to her home country because I am worried about what this administration is going to do. She didn't get it at all. My husband told her they were taking people's visas and green cards this weekend and she said stuff like, "Oh I've made a copy of my green card" without realizing that that wouldn't mean shit. She's not taking it seriously at all and it pisses me off. This order scares me because she is elderly and I'm sure she would be considered a "drain" on the economy for taking out benefits she's earned working here for over 40 years.

All this invasive nonsense (including the demanding access to devices and accounts) is also going to dissuade travelers from visiting the US. I was considering a business trip to the US soon, but teleconference seems like the smarter option. No way am I stepping foot inside the US unless absolutely necessary. The US tourism industry will surely suffer, as will any other businesses relying on sales to foreign visitors.

Already there. About 2 weeks ago, I booked a vacation with my wife to the U.S for a week in February. Right now we're talking about cancelling and vacationing on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. I'm a minority and I don't feel like being profiled and potentially treated like a fucking criminal when I'm trying to visit the U.S and spend my hard-earned money there. As it is, some people from my country have already been held up ON THE WAY HOME from the U.S, due to some confusion about visa requirements.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I have an Aunt thats been here since the 90s, she failed her citizenship test because her english sucks and for some reason she couldn't take it in spanish. My cousin was diagnosed with a brain tumor so she had to leave her job to take care of him. Now she's on public assistance and he's on medicaid...

Seriously....wtf man

Nerazar

Guy who pays no taxes blames immigrants for eating up federal resources.

His non-taxes would probably have paid for most of the people he's going to deport.

I don't understand how an immigrant nation where everyone's parents and grandparents came from somewhere as refugees or people seeking opportunity elsewhere would fall down each and every step taken on the stairway to liberty and justice.

Future

This effects tech companies greatly. It's not a secret that lots of programmers and tech workers are foreign.

I wonder if this is to spite them, since tech companies have broadly denounced Donald trump. You never know with this guy

Uhm holy shit, I have a lot of family that fits in this category I think. This would basically disrupt the big cities big time.

No fucking way people put up with this shit. I can't believe Trump and Bannon think they can pull it off.

If it's the law of the land, there's no choice outside to protest, and hope it gets overturned in the courts, but who even knows if that'll matter at this point. So much uncertainty right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom