• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: New Executive Orders Floating Around Would Further Restrict Immigration

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...n-120pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.f133e36d7d92

The Trump administration is considering a plan to weed out would-be immigrants who are likely to require public assistance, as well as to deport — when possible — immigrants already living in the United States who depend on taxpayer help, according to a draft executive order obtained by The Washington Post.

If enacted, the executive orders would appear to significantly restrict all types of immigration and foreign travel to the United States, expanding bars on entry to the country that Trump ordered last week with his temporary ban on refugees and people from seven majority Muslim countries.

While Trump's immigration ban last week focused on national security and preventing terrorism, the new draft orders would be focused on Trump's campaign promises to protect American workers and to create jobs, immediately restricting the flow of immigrants and temporary laborers into the U.S. workforce. The administration has blamed immigrants who end up receiving U.S. social services for eating up federal resources, and it has said immigrant workers contribute to unemployment among Americans who were born in the United States
It weighs how to make America's immigration program ”more merit based," calls for site visits at companies that employ foreign workers, and tasks the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with producing a report twice a year on the total number of foreign-born people — not just nonimmigrant visa holders — who are authorized to work in the United States.

It also instructs DHS and the State Department to submit a report on ”the steps they are taking to combat the birth tourism phenomenon," meaning instances in which noncitizens come to the United States to have children, who in turn gain citizenship, a popular conservative refrain but one that is dismissed by immigration experts as a relatively minor problem.

Horrifying nationalist bullshit

DJ_Lae

It's sad that every time something horrifying like this is reported, it just seems like par for the course that we're on.

It's terrifying, and I'm not even in the US.

Kaban

My girlfriend is applying for her H-1B Visa in April. If she's not allowed to work here because of these orders, then I'm going to lose my shit and move to another country with her.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I wish I could say I am shocked by this, but I really am not. This is completely in line with everything else from the Trump administration so far.

squall211

When Trump was campaigning and saying all his crazy shit, I'd always roll my eyes when he'd get a big applause and say to myself "These people are so gullible. He's just pandering to them. They'll just be outraged when he gets elected and doesn't end up doing any of this shit."

Took a week to prove me wrong.

This will seriously cripple the construction and agricultural industries in the south and west. All those 50 year old white guys cheering Trump on aren't going to get jobs laying sheetrock in 95 degree heat.

Toxi

Banned
It weighs how to make America’s immigration program “more merit based,” calls for site visits at companies that employ foreign workers, and tasks the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with producing a report twice a year on the total number of foreign-born people — not just nonimmigrant visa holders — who are authorized to work in the United States.

So, uh, what the fuck.

It is funny that the majority of those jobs that immigrants do, Americans will more than likely not want to do like Fast Food, Maid and Cleaning services etc. So kicking them out will just cause more headaches for the average citizen in the end.

RK128

....People ARE People, we shouldn't treat others like lesser beings. But what does Trump and his lackey's care? They got power and money, so they just like telling everyone to fuck off.

Hate what is going on and I honestly expect things to get even worse as the hours go on. Everyday, a new horrid EO or act comes out. It's very defeating honestly.

Edit:
as well as to deport — when possible — immigrants already living in the United States who depend on taxpayer help....
The mass deportations are starting.....things keep getting worse and worse.

RuGalz

This will seriously cripple the construction and agricultural industries in the south and west. All those 50 year old white guys cheering Trump on aren't going to get jobs laying sheetrock in 95 degree heat.

Maybe they will wake up when they finally got their 'job' but still can't pay for food because everything has skyrocketed.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Mother fucker calls for a merit-based working class yet he himself is surrounded by meritless cronies.

Son of a bitch.

I live in NYC but I think I may apply for a gun permit just in case.

Linkark07

Banned
It is funny that the majority of those jobs that immigrants do, Americans will more than likely not want to do like Fast Food, Maid and Cleaning services etc. So kicking them out will just cause more headaches for the average citizen in the end.

Exactly. And I doubt they will thrilled to do those jobs. And of course, this will anger business, so Trump is really screwing himself and his shitty government if he tries to do this.

Unlike the lgbt thing, Trump explicitly ran on protecting americans from immigrants taking their jerbz, so some form of this is most likely in the works

Buzzman

Banned
I wonder if they're deliberately leaking this one, and when the real one comes it won't be as severe and people won't freak out as much?

Boke1879

I really, really, really, really hope either WaPo is wrong, or these EO's never come to pass, cause if so, holy shit.

It still is insane how fucking negative the GOP has become on immigration recently. Here is their prophet talking about immigration not that long ago. The difference between then and now is insane.

Someone is leaking this shit out. We had the Cyber security EO leak out yesterday and now we get this. Someone is frustrated and they are letting it all let loose.

Duxxy3

Seems like the intention is to keep away immigrants that would be a burden on the country. I can already see this getting strong Republican support.

How many of the people potentially affected by this are Trump voters who will suddenly express their incredulity at him doing exactly what they voted for him to do?

LifEndz

The agenda of a white nationalist playing out before our eyes in our country. The revolution will be televised.

Boke1879

Mother fucker calls for a merit-based working class yet he himself is surrounded by meritless cronies.

Son of a bitch.

I live in NYC but I think I may apply for a gun permit just in case.

Yep. I've been thinking about applying for my FOID care for a while now. Now is as good a time as any.

hughesta

Banned
My friends studying abroad aren't gonna be able to come home by the time their terms are done, at this rate. Fuck this asshole so much.

Seems like the intention is to keep away immigrants that would be a burden on the country. I can already see this getting strong Republican support.

They might want that, but do they really want the inevitable conflict in the country that will follow? They might want to act tough, but the refugee/muslim ban is already stressing a lot of them out.

Duxxy3

They might want that, but do they really want the inevitable conflict in the country that will follow? They might want to act tough, but the refugee/muslim ban is already stressing a lot of them out.

I could see them shining this up for the public.

I wonder if they're deliberately leaking this one, and when the real one comes it won't be as severe and people won't freak out as much?

It's hard to pin down the motivations of the leaks. Trump's White House is already the leakiest one in memory. The leaks could be by people who are trying to oppose the EO by building disapproval or they could be doing as you say. They could also be leaking a bunch of stuff just to create chaos so it becomes impossible to sort out what is actually happening.

Brandson

All this invasive nonsense (including the demanding access to devices and accounts) is also going to dissuade travelers from visiting the US. I was considering a business trip to the US soon, but teleconference seems like the smarter option. No way am I stepping foot inside the US unless absolutely necessary. The US tourism industry will surely suffer, as will any other businesses relying on sales to foreign visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom