• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: New Executive Orders Floating Around Would Further Restrict Immigration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proelite

If Trump wanted to only fix temporary visa exploitation then I wont bat an eye. Minimum of 130k is going to hurt a lot of big software development companies that don't have a good cash flow to compete for the relatively few skilled American developers.

Curufinwe

Or documented people who are on government assistance.

That doesn't seem to be what the text of the article says. WaPo using "immigrant" to cover people who came here legally, and people who came here illegally doesn't make for a very clear discussion.

rpmurphy

If Trump wanted to only fix temporary visa exploitation then I wont bat an eye. Minimum of 130k is going to hurt a lot of big software development companies that don't have a good cash flow to compete for the relatively few skilled American developers.
Yep. Outside of SanFran, and probably Seattle or NYC, that limit is going to absolutely impact the talent pool and drain what's left to the big cities.

Ponn

Banned
You know, the Trump pivot could still come. He could just get in front of the camera and say you fuckers voted for me and allowed me and the GOP to do all this you dumbasses. And then laugh and walk out of the white house. It could still happen.

B.O.O.M

Not just that..imagine the Universities. Lots of programs are gonna get fucked. The job market was actually trending upwards for faculty positions and for many areas many positions were filled by non-American doctoral graduates from US universities. This is not a case of taking US jobs away from americans or any nonsense either. Universities are fucked if this goes through.

I have talked to many colleagues about this (we are all doctoral students/candidates in the US) and almost all of us are planning on applying abroad.

The brain drain on the US economy would be devastating overall..other countries will benefit greatly

Kas

So what does this have to the J1 student summer work visa?

I know it's selfish, but my girlfriend and her friends came over this past summer on them, and I'm not sure if one of them will be able to come back this summer.

You know, the Trump pivot could still come. He could just get in front of the camera and say you fuckers voted for me and allowed me and the GOP to do all this you dumbasses. And then laugh and walk out of the white house. It could still happen.

It will never happen.

shiba5

"The administration has blamed immigrants who end up receiving U.S. social services for eating up federal resources..."

And after that, they will blame U.S. citizens who receive social services. And on and on...

That the hilarious and sad part about this. Which jobs to people think these immigrants are taking that blue collar Trump voters are going to want? Are they all going to move from the northern parts of the country to the south west to take those jobs? This is insanity.

I feel like a lot of these Trump folks are just mad that these people are here making better lives for themselves while they're unhappy about where they are in life.
Yes, they've been constantly told that they're special and better than these people but they see these people working and doing ok for themselves(although honestly it isn't that great cause of wages) and it burns them up inside.

First they came for Muslims...
Then they came for all immigrants...

Who's next?

Do they not realize how much this would fuck entire swathes of businesses?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
First they came for Muslims...
Then they came for all immigrants...

Who's next?

The goal is to ruin the economy. He ran on this platform that Obama destroyed the economy, so he will do so and then say, see, I told you the economy was bad, give me more time to fix it and make America great again. He'll make the best deals.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So the government wants to enter private companies' offices by force in search of foreign workers? Small government indeed! Not to mention absolutely xenophobic and disgusting.

Fuck Trump, and fuck everyone who supports him. You are, quite literally, ruining the world.

Ohwiseone

Is this really how american is becoming?

Congress can't sit on their ass forever. He has to be breaking something in the constitution, if anything.. Its building a hell of a impeachment case.

Rodeo Clown

Anyone else reporting this?

Last night we trusted WaPo's word about the LGBTQ EO and it didn't exist....

They said it wasn't going forward right now, they never denied that it existed. I think it's obvious that the LGBTQ EO was floated to distract from the Muslim ban and then it not coming to fruition is something the administration can use to say "Fake news! Can't trust the Post!"

Jotaka

Time to go after the Latinos

https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/what-things-going-wrong-can-look-like-400f84a0cc3a#.7zk5s1cm8

Latinos come from a different angle, one more tied to nativism: they're the current version of those ”damned immigrants" that Americans have a history of blaming for things. (As were the Italians, the Irish, the Germans, etc., in the past) In particular, Trump's campaign was based on exacerbating this: going to areas where there was a steady collapse of the long-term economic outlook, and telling people that it was because of deals with China and Mexicans coming in and stealing people's jobs

For Latinos, increased laws and orders exerting pressures on employers, landlords, etc., to get rid of anyone who even might be undocumented. (So long as they're Latino; a good 25% of Americans can't easily produce proof of citizenship, but they won't be hassled) The goal here is to create what Trump calls ”self-deportation:" i.e., making the situation bad enough to cause people to flee the country.

Anyone else reporting this?

Last night we trusted WaPo's word about the LGBTQ EO and it didn't exist....

When did WaPo report on the lgbt order.

If it's the WaPo thru have the highest credibility of any outlet I've seen over the last year. If they report it, then they have at least seen a draft of it

They said it wasn't going forward right now, they never denied that it existed. I think it's obvious that the LGBTQ EO was floated to distract from the Muslim ban and then it not coming to fruition is something the administration can use to say "Fake news! Can't trust the Post!"

Or it was actually being talking about, and got put on the backburner.

Seriously, guys, some of you all are falling into the right's 'fake news' trap way, way too easily. You're playing yourselves.

Is this really how american is becoming?

Congress can't sit on their ass forever. He has to be breaking something in the constitution, if anything.. Its building a hell of a impeachment case.

49% of Americans agree with Trump. Also most of Repubs in Congress are beholden that RURAL AMERICA that controls and says "this is ok"

Maxim726X

?

A) It was a reporter from WaPo, not the organization.
B) The WH released a pretty definitive statement on the matter... Not simply a 'we have no plans at this time' diversionary tactic.

Ploid 3.0

My ancestors go all the way back, to the dinosaurs. I am descended from the king of all dinosaurs.

Rich people will get a chance to shoot you while you're trapped in a cage, then take a picture with your dismembered arm as a trophy to hang on their wall or something.

?

B) The WH released a pretty definitive statement on the matter... Not simply a 'we have no plans at this time' diversionary tactic.

It was reported as a rumor from the very beginning. And just because the WH said no later doesn't mean that something wasn't being discussed and could come of it. Think about the people we're talking about.

Nerazar

Alright... So I wanted to take part in a Language Assistant program to come over to the US and teach at a university - I guess I'm no longer welcome, then?

RDreamer

There's absolutely more coming, guys. Miller and Bannon view this as a cultural war:

xbIZnOi.jpg

That was Miller on Tucker Carlson. Washington Post also has some quotes from an administration official that are very similar. Miller is the guy that crafted this law, and he's nuts. He once said, "Osama Bin Laden would feel very welcome at Santa Monica High School."

Rodeo Clown

?

You're dealing with liars. The Press Secretary literally lies to reporters everyday. Also, this is not a denial that there was an EO floating around or that it wasn't being considered:

“President Trump continues to be respectful and supportive of L.G.B.T.Q. rights, just as he was throughout the election,” the White House said in a statement. “The president is proud to have been the first ever G.O.P. nominee to mention the L.G.B.T.Q. community in his nomination acceptance speech, pledging then to protect the community from violence and oppression.”

Maxim726X

It was reported as a rumor from the very beginning. And just because the WH said no later doesn't mean that something wasn't being discussed and could come of it. Think about the people we're talking about.

Yeah, I am.

And there's plenty to be critical of right now, without conjuring anything more.

Plus, inaccurate reporting just gets used as ammunition by Spicer and Conway (MLK statue, for example). Just saying we should always wait for more sources before getting caught up in a story like this when we have so many to focus on right now.

?

The white house literally claimed there was no ban today. Trusting them even on little things is like believing when Nintendo says there is no revision

The WaPo has good sources if they are publishing. Whether it comes to pass people should worry it's on the table

Piggus

Alright... So I wanted to take part in a Language Assistant program to come over to the US and teach at a university - I guess I'm no longer welcome, then?

Don't let this orange asshole discourage you from trying to achieve that goal. We cannot let these fuckers win by just laying down and taking it.

You are ABSOLUTELY welcome here, and anyone who tells you otherwise, including Trump and his band of fucksticks, can go to hell.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
"The administration has blamed immigrants who end up receiving U.S. social services for eating up federal resources..."

And after that, they will blame U.S. citizens who receive social services. And on and on...

Most citizens are immigrants if you go back far enough.

This would affect legal citizens.

RDreamer

They don't care. This is a cultural war.

“I think that’s terrible,” added Trump, who was a regular guest on the show. “We have to be careful of that, Steve. You know, we have to keep our talented people in this country.”

Trump asked Bannon if he agreed with him, but the Breitbart executive chairman seemed to have trouble responding to this suggestion.

“When two-thirds or three-quarters of the CEOs in Silicon Valley are from South Asia or from Asia, I think...” Bannon said. “A country is more than an economy. We’re a civic society.”

Maxim726X

The white house literally claimed there was no ban today. Trusting them even on little things is like believing when Nintendo says there is no revision

They have no reason to lie- They've been pretty up front with all the awful shit they've done to this point...

If he does indeed go back on his word, he will deservedly be torn apart for it.

RDreamer

They have no reason to lie- They've been pretty up front with all the awful shit they've done to this point...

If he does indeed go back on his word, he will deservedly be torn apart for it.

Spicer came out and said multiple times that the ban only temporarily inconvenienced 109 people. They have not been up front about ANYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom