• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Kushner family pushing $500k ‘investor visa’ to wealthy Chinese

Virzeth

The Kushner family came to the United States as refugees, worked hard and made it big — and if you invest in Kushner properties, so can you.

That was the message delivered Saturday by White House senior adviser Jared Kushner’s sister Nicole Kushner Meyer to a ballroom full of wealthy Chinese investors in Beijing.

Over several hours of slide shows and presentations, representatives from the Kushner family business urged Chinese citizens gathered at a Ritz-Carlton hotel to consider investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in a New Jersey luxury apartment complex that would help them secure what’s known as an investor visa.

The potential investors were advised to invest sooner rather than later in case visa rules change under the Trump administration. “Invest early, and you will invest under the old rules,” one speaker said.

The tagline on a brochure for the event: “Invest $500,000 and immigrate to the United States.”

The EB-5 immigrant investor visa program that Meyer discussed Saturday allows rich foreign investors who are willing to plunk down large investments in U.S. projects that create jobs to apply to immigrate to the United States.

Bloomberg News reported in March 2016 that the program has been used to the benefit both the Trump and Kushner family businesses. Before joining the White House, as chief executive of his family’s real estate company, Jared Kushner raised $50 million from Chinese EB-5 applicants for a Trump-branded apartment building in Jersey City, according to the report.

Although the event was publicly advertised in Beijing, the hosts were exceptionally anxious about the presence of reporters.

Journalists were initially seated at the back of the ballroom, but as the presentations got underway, a public-relations representative asked The Washington Post to leave, saying the presence of foreign reporters threatened the “stability” of the event.

At one point, organizers grabbed a reporter’s phone and backpack to try to force that person to leave. Later, as investors started leaving the ballroom, organizers physically surrounded attendees to prevent them from giving interviews.

Asked why reporters were asked to leave, a PR person who declined to identify herself said simply, “This is not the story we want.”
Sorry madam, this is the story you get.

Full article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...711e53-eb49-4f9a-8dea-3cd836fcf287_story.html

Bribing your way into the country by investing in the Presidents properties. This is even below most third world countries on the corruption scale.

They also showed potential investors a slide showing that DONALD TRUMP was included in the people who allow or deny the visa.

The implication was obvious: Invest by buying Kushner property and MY FATHER IN LAW will make sure you're looked after.

gJOUvZR.png

So the moral of the story is if you have a lot of money you can now easily skip the processes of becoming a citizen. Super rich to the front of the line. I'm sure its always been that way though.

I honestly see nothing wrong with this. It's a 500,000 dollar ticket to America. Any corrupt party member would have that kind of money

Drazgul

I honestly see nothing wrong with this. It's a 500,000 dollar ticket to America. Any corrupt party member would have that kind of money

The program already existed before Trump, afaik. The only possibly scummy thing is if they're funneling the investment money into their own businesses, specifically.

So the moral of the story is if you have a lot of money you can now easily skip the processes of becoming a citizen. Super rich to the front of the line. I'm sure its always been that way though.

Yeah it's like that in most countries of the world. Money has always opened doors. Hell you can even legitimately buy a citizenship in some places if you're so inclined.

vern

This program has been a thing since 1992 I believe and it's not really got anything to do with corruption or bribery. I worked in the industry in china for 3 years (not promoting Trump projects thank goodness) and it's actually a pretty decent program for America. Most countries have something similar.

If you search EB5 projects and see what kind of great things have been done with the money you'll probably actually support the program. I personally raised $50 million + for Milwaukee in the old Pabst Brewery location that had been abandoned for a decade. You can google that, or also check the Hunters Point project in SF, the Navy shipyard project in NY... any number of projects that have or are resulting in great new developments in previously rundown areas. As with anything there are problems, and the President and his family shouldn't be able to financially gain from it, but there is nothing wrong with the program itself (aside from the limit of only 10k visas per year).

You have to disavow your communist party ties and prove your money was sourced legitimately. Of course it isn't super difficult to prove your money was legally obtained considering you only have to prove the investment funds (500k)... anyone who legitimately bought a house in a tier 1 Chinese city 10 years ago can just mortgage their house since it'll now be worth well over a million ... anyway this program isn't really for "super rich"... in china 500k is normal money for anyone who owns a home in a big Chinese city. This program is primarily aimed at these middle class home owners with kids in school still, take out a mortgage and get your kid a decent overseas education and a green card. The parent typically keeps his Chinese citizenship. American citizenship isn't really all that appealing to most of them. The super rich can live anywhere and do anything they want, this program means nothing to them. They don't want to be American because America taxes your worldwide income. They don't get rich by being dumb.

* Using the office of the president to line his project
* Rank Hypocrisy viz immigration policy, h1b policy etc
* Not wanting to know or caring where the money comes from (has been the case for money from Russia all along)

Arttemis

This program has been a thing since 1992 I believe and it's not really got anything to do with corruption or bribery. I worked in the industry in china for 3 years (not promoting Trump projects thank goodness) and it's actually a pretty decent program for America. Most countries have something similar.

If you search EB5 projects and see what kind of great things have been done with the money you'll probably actually support the program. I personally raised $50 million + for Milwaukee in the old Pabst Brewery location that had been abandoned for a decade. You can google that, or also check the Hunters Point project in SF, the Navy shipyard project in NY... any number of projects that have or are resulting in great new developments in previously rundown areas. As with anything there are problems, and the President and his family shouldn't be able to financially gain from it, but there is nothing wrong with the program itself (aside from the limit of only 10k visas per year).
But when the nepotistic son in law of the president is using his position to funnel money into their business, that is a completely different story.

Nepotism. Conflict of interest. Emoluments.

vern

But when the nepotistic son in law of the president is using his position to funnel money into their business, that is a completely different story.

Nepotism. Conflict of interest.

Yes I don't agree with that part of it. I'm addressing the posts in here complaining about the program itself. It's a great program.

Khaz

It's not about EB5, it's about EB5 used as leverage to line up the pockets of the family in charge. If the presentation was about how EB5 could fund various industries, it would be ok. But this presentation was specifically about Kushner Properties. If you can't see the corruption, I don't know what to tell you.

* Using the office of the president to line his project
* Rank Hypocrisy viz immigration policy, h1b policy etc
* Not wanting to know or caring where the money comes from (has been the case for money from Russia all along)

Hey Don't hate the player hate the game.

yeah this has been happening for a looooonnnngg time for rich people all over the world

vern

It's not about EB5, it's about EB5 used as leverage to line up the pockets of the family in charge. If the presentation was about how EB5 could fund various industries, it would be ok. But this presentation was specifically about Kushner Properties. If you can't see the corruption, I don't know what to tell you.

Ummm I already said I don't agree with that shit. I was specifically addressing those in this thread who are saying the program is bad or are angry at rich people that can "buy" citizenship. On the whole the program is heavily regulated and has been a boon for many blighted or forgotten areas across the country. Having a corrupt and shitty president doesn't make the program bad, it makes the corrupt shitty president bad.

Gutek

Are those federal apartments she's trying to find investors for? Or why is she name dropping government officials?

Besides name-dropping her brother and his father in law, how is this any different from any similar investment pitch? Are the visa rules different than the current standard if you go with the Kushners? If not...I mean, it's sleazy (I guess?) but I don't see how this is corruption.

vern

Besides name-dropping her brother and his father in law, how is this any different from any similar investment pitch? Are the visa rules different than the current standard if you go with the Kushners? If not...I mean, it's sleazy (I guess?) but I don't see how this is corruption.

Well they probably have some sway with uscis that a typical Eb5 project wouldn't have. I'm sure they could get their projects approved faster and less denials of visas for their investors, which would make their projects much more appealing and easier to sell... there are probably many potential avenues of corruption here, or at least improper influence.

CHC

The program already existed before Trump, afaik. The only possibly scummy thing is if they're funneling the investment money into their own businesses, specifically.

Yeah it's like that in most countries of the world. Money has always opened doors. Hell you can even legitimately buy a citizenship in some places if you're so inclined.

Pretty much. I mean obviously Trump and his ilk are fucking slimeballs but let's not pretend that there are Chinese multi-millionaires who would actually have any problem coming to America and doing whatever they want. Shit, I mean like half of NYC real estate is basically owned by wealthy foreigners who don't even live here.

KDR_11k

All those anti-immigration restrictions only apply to poor people, the rich can always go wherever they want.

GrapeApes

This issue here is divestment. This seems like something any developer looking for investors would do. Laws need to be passed to fully guarantee any high level government agent is fully divested from entanglements like this. If you're trying to buy influence and the influential figure has nothing to do with the company you'll take your money elsewhere

el jacko

They also showed potential investors a slide showing that DONALD TRUMP was included in the people who allow or deny the visa.

The implication was obvious: Invest by buying Kushner property and MY FATHER IN LAW will make sure you're looked after.

gJOUvZR.png

I wonder how Patrick Leahy feels about his appearance in this slide...

shem935

Banned
Yes the program existed before trump. Let me know when Michelle was pitching possible investors into renting rooms in the Obamas home and implying access to the president in return for it.

I'll wait.

Biske

It's impressive just how corrupt this family and presidency really is. It's even more impressive how they trip all over themselves constantly.

These idiots couldn't avoid a scandals if it was hidden in Donald's combover.

Jetman

Wow. Well, whatever good this program may or may not have done ( thanks for your perspective Vern), it's not hard to look at it as somewhat fucked up if not a little bit bigoted. Especially given the current administrations isolationist anti-immigrant campaign and stance.

gcubed

Wow. Well, whatever good this program may or may not have done ( thanks for your perspective Vern), it's not hard to look at it as somewhat fucked up if not a little bit bigoted. Especially given the current administrations isolationist anti-immigrant campaign and stance.

Most countries have a program like this. Canada I think you only need 80k and you are guaranteed after 5 years to get that back at minimum (you could get a better return on investment and make more but they will guarantee your initial investment).

The problem isn't the program, the problem is a Trump family member using the presidency as a selling point

*reads tag*. WTF!

The fuck does that have to do with the fact that this visa has been around for ages?

For the record i think it's a bad visa and I wouldn't mind seeing it go, I'm only commenting on the fact that everyone here seems to be treating this as something new

RPGCrazied

The point is the Trump connection, though it is a program that seems ripe for abuse. Using public office for private gain like this while serving is illegal.

I like how in one of the slides shows Trump. Its like, don't forget who the President of the US is! My father in law, you'd do best to remember that.

NimbusD

Guys, this is not something new. The $500k investors visa has existed for years
Yeah, people are upset that this exists and not that the president's advisor and son in law is using his position as a way to advertise investing in his personal business.

Maybe, idk, read?

vern

The fuck does that have to do with the fact that this visa has been around for ages?

For the record i think it's a bad visa and I wouldn't mind seeing it go, I'm only commenting on the fact that everyone here seems to be treating this as something new

Why is it a bad visa ? America has so many places that could stand to use development, our infrastructure is shit, we are falling so far behind much of the world, why not accept money from people who are willing to spend it on a country that's not even theirs, for programs that revitalize downtrodden areas and create jobs?

vern

NZ is also for sale if you've got the bread.

All the billionaires are buying their way in to avoid the apocalypse.

Almost every country has similar programs. It's not the billionaires though that take advantage of them. Billionaires can already do whatever they want, wherever they want, whenever they want.

There are loads of eb-5 investment centers here in the US. Kushner is for sure doing even more than that slide to not so subtlely hint that his father in law will give them preferential treatment to get a leg up on the competition.

devilhawk

This is my takeaway.

Top Bottom