• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Kushner's real estate woes lead them to seek foreign investors, Russia

Guevara

Jared Kushner, Donald Trump's son-in-law and top adviser, wakes up each morning to a growing problem that will not go away. His family's real estate business, Kushner Cos., owes hundreds of millions of dollars on a 41-story office building on Fifth Avenue. It has failed to secure foreign investors, despite an extensive search, and its resources are more limited than generally understood. As a result, the company faces significant challenges.

Over the past two years, executives and family members have sought substantial overseas investment from previously undisclosed places: South Korea's sovereign-wealth fund, France's richest man, Israeli banks and insurance companies, and exploratory talks with a Saudi developer, according to former and current executives. These were in addition to previously reported attempts to raise money in China and Qatar.

It was 2006—the height of the real-estate market boom—when Kushner Cos. agreed to buy 666 Fifth Avenue for $1.8 billion, then a record for a Manhattan building. All of it was borrowed except for $50 million. The company still holds half of a $1.2 billion mortgage, on which it hasn't paid a cent. The full amount is due in February 2019.

The strain has become increasingly evident across their holdings. One person familiar with the company's finances describes the tower, with its low ceilings and outdated floor plan, as the Jenga puzzle piece that could set the empire teetering.

As 2015 drew to a close, there were no serious offers, and many in the company figured the plans were all but dead. Then Donald Trump began his meteoric political rise, and Jared Kushner was right on his coattails. Discussions heated up. Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim Al Thani, the Qatari businessman who had once run that nation's sovereign-wealth fund, had earlier declined to even take a meeting with the Kushner Cos. executives, according to people familiar with the talks. In 2016, Al Thani agreed to invest $500 million from the private fund he runs, contingent on investment from others, which failed to materialize.

Also in 2016, Charlie and Jared met in New York with executives from the government-controlled South Korean sovereign fund asking for an investment in 666 Fifth. The Korea Investment Corporation didn't invest, people familiar with the talks said.

The Kushners opened discussions with Anbang, the Chinese insurance giant with such close ties to the ruling party that the federal government has forbidden it from buying near a U.S. military base. During months of talks—before and after the election—Jared Kushner negotiated a proposal for Anbang to put billions into the building and allow the family firm to take away $400 million in cash. After details of that plan were made public in March, Anbang walked away amid a crackdown on foreign investments by Chinese regulators.

Representatives of Kushners Cos. also discussed the project with an executive working for Fawaz Alhokair, a Saudi billionaire whose company has vast holdings in shopping malls, hotels and real estate overseas. Alhokair made a splash in the U.S. when he paid $87.7 million for a Park Avenue penthouse. Alhokair's company considered a possible investment in late 2015, according to Simon Marshall, who was CEO of Alhokair until this year.

Federal investigators know that Kushner met with then-Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak in Trump Tower last December and later met with Sergey Gorkov, head of the Kremlin-controlled VEB bank in two meetings that he didn't, at first, disclose publicly or on his application for his national-security clearance. After those meetings became public, Kushner and the White House said the contacts were made in his role as a Trump adviser and didn't involve discussion of his family business. But VEB and a spokesman for Russian President Vladimir Putin described the meetings quite differently, noted Adam Schiff of California, the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee. They said that Kushner was there in his capacity as head of his family's real estate business. Investigators say they are studying those accounts with keen interest.

”I think it is part of a pattern of outreach to Russian financial interests, which are essentially Vladimir Putin and his oligarch circle, by Trump family members," said Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, a Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee. ”The financial dealings are important because we know that the Russian playbook is to engage and compromise foreign leaders." He added, ”Whether this meeting and contact are significant remains to be understood."

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/...l-flop-was-part-of-much-bigger-hunt-for-cash/

Good work by Bloomberg and I recommend you visit the link. If anything this side of the story is underhyped.

Kushner basically tried every billionaire and every sovereign wealth fund, using Trump connections, before meeting (and lying about meeting) with the Russians

jWILL253

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if the Trump family got involved with Russia simply out of desperation and fear of losing everything AGAIN with their shoddy business deals failing all the time.

riotous

Banned
Money laundering. It's very obvious.

How is it obvious?

Huge money losers are not what makes money-laundering, which requires an entity to generate fake profits/reciepts.

So confusing how often money laundering is brougth up here; "Thing loses tons of money? MONEY LAUNDERING!" It's the exact opposite of that.

CHC

It's almost like they're an organization of inept, bumbling, assholes who burned all their bridges and had to resort to dealing with literal Russian criminals. Almost like that.

Man, the hits keep coming tonight, though.

UberTag

I wouldn't be surprised if the Trump family got involved with Russia simply out of desperation and fear of losing everything AGAIN with their shoddy business deals failing all the time.
Nothing a few more bankruptcies and pardons won't cure, am I right?
No accountability for the rich and prosperous ever! Always a parachute for them because they're special.

sant

At the point of information overload with this stuff. It is getting hard to care at this point. Is anything going to come of this?

Personally I think this is exactly he leverage Putin has on him. Trump is the literal poster child for a bad client for banks to take on. Wouldn't surprise me if the Trump org was only afloat because of Russian money.

LilZippa

Oh shit, what if Kushner is--

Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb and he spoke as a dragon

Oh, nevermind.
This is a common translation, but new scholars believe it my not be dragon. The new thought is it might directly translate as Gilbert Gottfried.

So it sounds like just like Trump, Kushner Cos. ran out of every single US bank or institution willing to lend money or deal with them. So increasingly over time he's turned to shadier and shadier companies and individuals internationally until here we are, Russia.

giphy.gif

How is it obvious?

Huge money losers are not what makes money-laundering, which requires an entity to generate fake profits/reciepts.

So confusing how often money laundering is brougth up here; "Thing loses tons of money? MONEY LAUNDERING!" It's the exact opposite of that.

Selling property at way above or below market value is a way of laundering money and it can flow whichever way you want to "clean" the money.

If you are in dire straits and own a bunch of real estate that's a great way to facilitate the laundering of money. In this case, for the Russian mob which is state controlled. Mob equals oligarchs equals Kremlin equals Putin; they are one and the same.

Facilitate laundering money for the mob and they'll give you a cut. Which you can then use to pay off debt.

Of course, you end up a compromised Russian asset because they have dirt on you.

norinrad

He married Ivanka though. When Donald gets his tax cuts through, they are going to be alright and the only ones laughing.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Real question: When exactly did Kushner and Ivanka start hooking up?

I'm not saying anything. Just throwing that out there.

Azuran

Banned
I can't wait when Kushner goes down. Trump and his family wanted so bad to be accepted and be part of the NYC elite it's so pathetic. I'm glad they'll never get the respect and admiration they crave so much.

riotous

Banned
Selling property at way above or below market value is a way of laundering money and it can flow whichever way you want to "clean" the money.

Who sold it way above or below market level? This was an investment at the height of a real estate boom that soured. Can you actually explain what you mean here? Whose money is being laundered and how? I understand how real estate can be used to launder money; but how does taking on massive debt and then never paying it equate to money laundering? Did Kushner / partners give the entities that "loaned" the money the cash in the first place?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Real question: When exactly did Kushner and Ivanka start hooking up?

I'm not saying anything. Just throwing that out there.

Answering my own question here but they got married in 2009. Not gonna dig to see how long they dated before getting married but my point is that given all the facts we know it is not insane to start pulling at the russian threads on both sides to see if Russia is what actually brought them together.

norinrad

Answering my own question here but they got married in 2009. Not gonna dig to see how long they dated before getting married but my point is that given all the facts we know it is not insane to start pulling at the russian threads on both sides to see if Russia is what actually brought them together.

If Ivanka was a Russian oligarchs daughter marrying Kushner to secure a deal I'd buy the Russia brought them together argument.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Worst part is he's an arrogant twat despite that fact.

Incompetent trust fund jerk who's father never made it into "society" and is considered a shocking boor and an embarrassment by the real elites.

Wonder why Trump likes him.

Kevin

Hundreds of stories on Trump and his cabinet and yet no movement on him being arrested or impeached. I just don't understand...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hundreds of stories on Trump and his cabinet and yet no movement on him being arrested or impeached. I just don't understand...

Richard Nixon was guilty of (should any of the Trump stuff come to fruition) far lesser crimes, was caught through long investigation and breakthrough evidence (a tape of Nixon himself discussing the commission of the actual crime) and it took two years from opening of investigation to resignation. This is way more complex. And way more serious. But it's going to take AGES.

Richard Nixon was guilty of (should any of the Trump stuff come to fruition) far lesser crimes, was caught through long investigation and breakthrough evidence (a tape of Nixon himself discussing the commission of the actual crime) and it took two years from opening of investigation to resignation. This is way more complex. And way more serious. But it's going to take AGES.

and we should want it to take forever tbh. if we're going to see a president get taken down that case better be the most open and shut case in the history of history.

the damage from a misfire here is going to be more devastating than his presidency will be.

Top Bottom