• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vtubers?

Anton668

now you can watch a vtuber whilst learning how to make a vtuber! :)

shes an artist....
I'm an artist who has worked in Animation as both an animator and designer. I've done work on many projects- to list a few:
'The Mr.Peabody and Sherman Show'
'The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle'
'My Little Pony'
'Rhyme Time Town'

^ new favorite? You dumped Haachama?
I'll answer the second question first: Yeah, as I posted earlier I'm no longer subscribed to Haachama. I really liked her last year, but as I mentioned before I'm only really interested in the real persons behind the avatar, not into their roleplaying. I really loved Haachama's English Talk streams, but she doesn't do them anymore. Furthermore she now is roleplaying 100%, she doesn't talk about her real life at all anymore. I still think Haachama is closest to me, but just because she is like me doesn't me I'm interested in watching her. I gave her 3 months to return to old normal self, but in the last months she made it pretty clear she isn't interested in that anymore, so I kinda gave up on her.
I still watch several of her videos, but usually they just make me miss her old self, so I can't really enjoy them.

Charlotte Suzu is one of my new favorites. She's definitely my favorite among all the English-speaking Vtubers. Who is going to take Top 1 of all is a harder question, though. I was thinking of making a ranking, but that list will really only work if I write 2-3 sentences about each. Because I like different Vtubers out of different reasons. I'm not really the type who turns into a fan of one particular Vtuber. I'm rather looking for interesting content, so for me it depends stronger on what content is produced, what game is being played, what is being talked about, etc. and if Vtubers do a lot of content that interests me, then I'll watch and like them more.

Haachama was kind of an outlier here, because I actually fell in love with her last year. But after feeling love sick for several months because she was basically gone (and I don't even mean her long breaks, but rather that her old self is gone), I mostly got over that.

All the Vtubers I enjoy watching right now I'm not in love with at all. I find Charlotte Suzu very very cute, but I'm not in love with her. There several other Vtubers whose content I check regularly: Korone, Fubuki, Pekora, Kiara, Coco (Meme Review Only), Subaru (Clips only, unless she plays a really interesting game like Project Zero and Undertale), Utako (ASMR/English streams only), Risu (clips and talk streams), Patra (ASMR), Noel (Duolingo only) and some lesser known ones. You could say they are all my favorites, but I all like them out of different reasons.

But I still watched Flare's Everhood LP because even though she's not among my favorite, the game is just incredibly fun to watch. In fact she ranked up just because she played that.

So yeah, as said, I go more by content produced than the Vtuber as person. Would be much easier for me to rank the different types of content than the Vtubers themselves.

Do you guys think internally that each girl is called by their character names so they don't slip up on stream?
Well, I would. I'd go so far and say that they probably don't even know each other's real names. They also use (different) fake names in real life, like when they go to English or Voice lessons.

Honestly it's interested that they refer to themselves in 3rd person. Psychologically I would actually think that this means that they don't really feel like they are the character they are playing. Using 3rd person kind of puts some distance between you and your avatar. On the other hand, talking in 3rd person is also used in Japan to sound more cute. It's also used in anime frequently for childish characters. So maybe it's just that.

I'll answer the second question first: Yeah, as I posted earlier I'm no longer subscribed to Haachama. I really liked her last year, but as I mentioned before I'm only really interested in the real persons behind the avatar, not into their roleplaying. I really loved Haachama's English Talk streams, but she doesn't do them anymore. Furthermore she now is roleplaying 100%, she doesn't talk about her real life at all anymore. I still think Haachama is closest to me, but just because she is like me doesn't me I'm interested in watching her. I gave her 3 months to return to old normal self, but in the last months she made it pretty clear she isn't interested in that anymore, so I kinda gave up on her.
I still watch several of her videos, but usually they just make me miss her old self, so I can't really enjoy them.

Charlotte Suzu is one of my new favorites. She's definitely my favorite among all the English-speaking Vtubers. Who is going to take Top 1 of all is a harder question, though. I was thinking of making a ranking, but that list will really only work if I write 2-3 sentences about each. Because I like different Vtubers out of different reasons. I'm not really the type who turns into a fan of one particular Vtuber. I'm rather looking for interesting content, so for me it depends stronger on what content is produced, what game is being played, what is being talked about, etc. and if Vtubers do a lot of content that interests me, then I'll watch and like them more.

Haachama was kind of an outlier here, because I actually fell in love with her last year. But after feeling love sick for several months because she was basically gone (and I don't even mean her long breaks, but rather that her old self is gone), I mostly got over that.

All the Vtubers I enjoy watching right now I'm not in love with at all. I find Charlotte Suzu very very cute, but I'm not in love with her. There several other Vtubers whose content I check regularly: Korone, Fubuki, Pekora, Kiara, Coco (Meme Review Only), Subaru (Clips only, unless she plays a really interesting game like Project Zero and Undertale), Utako (ASMR/English streams only), Risu (clips and talk streams), Patra (ASMR), Noel (Duolingo only) and some lesser known ones. You could say they are all my favorites, but I all like them out of different reasons.

But I still watched Flare's Everhood LP because even though she's not among my favorite, the game is just incredibly fun to watch. In fact she ranked up just because she played that.

So yeah, as said, I go more by content produced than the Vtuber as person. Would be much easier for me to rank the different types of content than the Vtubers themselves.

In the page before I praised how Kiara Roleplays ther Lore but she really is not 100% lore everything you need to know about her life is really open she is the most open in EN. But her roleplay skills make it fun for KFP she never misses a chance to link herself to a chicken in some way. Yes Haachama did have a good balance and she was in the running to be my favorite last September-October but after the stunt she did on the EN Minecraft server I told you I was wary of her.

I think you care for Haachama was clear enough, that is why I asked. Normally people don't drop love so easily.
It is okay to say you love a vtuber but you have to remember you are a fan supporting a person doing a job. Her job is not really bringing her personal life into it. Even if some vtubers think this is the way to go and roleplay is for suckers. I think Haachama is safer roleplaying.
Loving Haachama was a bad idea for me, but because she pulled at my heart strings at first because she tried so hard at her EN-gen Zero thing I found her cute for doing her best. But she suddenly shifted positions and killed her character on the EN server. I have not felt a fake anime girl hit me that hard since I watched Air for the first time. That is why that white dog Potato has been my avatar since I've been on this forum. Air really broke me down, it really made me depress and break down. Haachama really triggered me almost on that same level but I have learned I have these triggers over the years and dealt with that shit better.

You defended her well enough to convince me she did speak of her personal life more than I assumed she did. I also said she felt kind of lonely to me, every girl seems to have close friends or really like a family with their gen mates but Haachama felt like an outsider the only one who had her back was Coco.

She stopped doing the EN streams stopped collabing with EN. I am not sure if this is management or her own feelings that her english is not where she wants it. But fans did love her english streams. Maybe she was really hurt, maybe she has been having very personal issues, family issues, or something that drove her back to just focus on the roleplay. The roleplay allows her to hide away. I still think Haachama is the loneliest one out there.

I think Haachama's fanbase might be expecting her to do toxic shit. Haachama cooking a girl that eats gross shit = self abuse
I really hope she is faking eating half that shit. Have not seen many clips of Haachama cooking recently. Have not seen many clips of her at all recently.

What I do know about her is what she showed, she went through a hard time, you can tell quitting Hololive must have crossed her mind.

She is young and she went to school for something. What kind of life would she have? Hope she saved some of that money or invest it but seriously think about how high up there Haachama is and how much she makes even now when she is just going with the flow?

I admire that she did not quit, she may still quit but so far she still has a chance to make friends at Hololive if she wants them.

Well, I would. I'd go so far and say that they probably don't even know each other's real names. They also use (different) fake names in real life, like when they go to English or Voice lessons.

Honestly it's interested that they refer to themselves in 3rd person. Psychologically I would actually think that this means that they don't really feel like they are the character they are playing. Using 3rd person kind of puts some distance between you and your avatar. On the other hand, talking in 3rd person is also used in Japan to sound more cute. It's also used in anime frequently for childish characters. So maybe it's just that.

I think they know each other's real names, I think Gura might have called Ame by her real name early on during some banter in minecraft that was clipped as proof by those face-reveal dudes.

Calli and Kiara know their real names. It is not hard to find those names. I mean if you are not Japanese it would be hard to get on a plane and go on a vacation with fake names.

But I was more curious if they are trained to call each other by the character names when off stream, when talking among themselves.

There are plenty of times when Kiara was leaving Japan that there was a real sadness there for her.

i don't think that them using 3rd person means they are not connected to their characters. I think you are correct it is more of the Japanese culture thing everyone in JP does the same thing if you listen to how they speak in Japanese when they talk about themselves.

It sound weirder in english but it makes sense in context of an anime girl. I don't mind it at all because it makes sense and it is still cute.

It reminds you, you are not really listening to a real person. Gura does this the most because she tries hard to have stories to tell her chat she worries about not having things to say to chat. She is the most insecure of all Hololive EN to be honest.

Most talented IMO but also very self-aware of failing

Ina Ina Ina, Ameeliaaaa Waaatson! all of these you hear them less and less the girls don't have to tell you who they are anymore unless they are collabing with someone new on a nother channel. But when they tell stories they refer to themselves that way.

Calli does not do it because she uses "Your Boy" when speaking about herself

Is there a Hololive movie coming up? The quality of 2D animation is amazing.

None of them know or are not telling the fans

basically it is a promo for Hololive a way for Cover to shop their talents and get more sponsors and collabs.

The girls seem not to know what was going to be shown in the full trailer, it means they did no voice work for a movie.
It looks like a movie, it is the quality of one but it is just a promo for the talents.

Normally people don't drop love so easily.
Definitely didn't drop it easily.
Though I've been through many relationships and one-sided love before (non-Vtuber). Every time it is a bit easier than the previous.

It is okay to say you love a vtuber but you have to remember you are a fan supporting a person doing a job.
Nah, that's not the same. Loving someone is very different from just liking what someone does and wanting to support them.

Though I'm still not fully sure what I should think about loving a Vtuber in contrast to literally loving anyone else. Sure a Vtuber will never be on the same level as you. They will never talk to you 1-on-1. They will never think about you in particular when they lie down in bed. They will never care about you as much as you care about them. And when they graduate, they will not send you a PM with instructions how to stay in touch.

Still, they can offer you more than any one-sided love could give you. If I was in love with a random girl that doesn't like me, only bad things can come from that. A Vtuber however will still try to please you, do ASMR for you and other stuff you enjoy. Also there is some kind of dependency on both sides. Not only you need the Vtuber but the Vtuber will also rely on their fans. (Just think of the recent Aqua saying she has nightmares about losing fans.)

So is it good or bad to love a Vtuber? I don't know.
Honestly I feel like I was just unlucky falling in love with someone that completely shut off from everyone just a few weeks after. Could have gone better too.

in 5 hours

1st stream here (German):
https://www.twitch.tv/dokomitv

2nd stream here (English):
https://www.twitch.tv/dokomitv_en

I might miss this because I am going to have to get some sleep soon or I'll miss COCO x Calli

I will have to catch clips
This is great for Kiara hope she got paid well for this.

Gura has also been busy not sleeping due to work so she must have big projects coming up.

I want to see Ina's original song come out.

MayauMiao

None of them know or are not telling the fans

basically it is a promo for Hololive a way for Cover to shop their talents and get more sponsors and collabs.

The girls seem not to know what was going to be shown in the full trailer, it means they did no voice work for a movie.
It looks like a movie, it is the quality of one but it is just a promo for the talents.

They really didn't know?

Mori Calliope did the vocals for the trailer.

Okayu is playing Shiren The Wanderer:

(Unrelated: Sorry removed my reply as I realized you meant backstage talk.)

Last edited:
Definitely didn't drop it easily.
Though I've been through many relationships and one-sided love before (non-Vtuber). Every time it is a bit easier than the previous.

Nah, that's not the same. Loving someone is very different from just liking what someone does and wanting to support them.

Though I'm still not fully sure what I should think about loving a Vtuber in contrast to literally loving anyone else. Sure a Vtuber will never be on the same level as you. They will never talk to you 1-on-1. They will never think about you in particular when they lie down in bed. They will never care about you as much as you care about them. And when they graduate, they will not send you a PM with instructions how to stay in touch.

Still, they can offer you more than any one-sided love could give you. If I was in love with a random girl that doesn't like me, only bad things can come from that. A Vtuber however will still try to please you, do ASMR for you and other stuff you enjoy. Also there is some kind of dependency on both sides. Not only you need the Vtuber but the Vtuber will also rely on their fans. (Just think of the recent Aqua saying she has nightmares about losing fans.)

So is it good or bad to love a Vtuber? I don't know.
Honestly I feel like I was just unlucky falling in love with someone that completely shut off from everyone just a few weeks after. Could have gone better too.
Dude if I was 20 I would totally be IN LOVE with most of EN. But old enough to have kids that age so I think of it as support from one artist to another. There is no issue with loving a vtuber, not from me anyway I am not someone that would think it impossible. It is better than the Japanese dudes that marry a video game character Love+ Plus I think it was called.

I feel me being in love would be creepy af but for you nah you are young.

You really fell IN love with Haachama I get that. Not even shocked that these girls can tug at you that way. But most of them would not want any of the fans to fall in love with them regardless of context or posibility. Would only scare them.

Ina said she was about to panic if the Times Square gift was from one fan. But finding out it was a large group of fans made it okay for her to be happy about it. None of these girls are thinking that way.

Out of all the girls in Hololive Haachama is the most likely to have a secret boyfriend on the side, she is too isolated.

Not at all saying it is healthy to allow yourself to Love Love these girls but I can understand and not judge that shit.
At least you see a real person there.

But I think it would be more enjoyable to support the art and the talent.

These girls no matter how shy or introverted they are. They are going to want to have a normal life someday. Gura, Ame, Kiara, Calli, Ina, most of the rest will someday want to have kids, a family.

I give them 5 years in this work max if I am being realistic. But I am only thinking this way because I am old enough to know better not to fall in love with impossible roadmaps.

Besides I think you are forgetting the most IMPORTANT thing. These girls are far from Instagram Divas with the face butts. They are shy people, insecure young women. Making it huge as a vtuber is not going to fix that.

If they married a fan they would always wonder if this man is in love with the Character she played or her real self.

Her name would not be Haachama, she would never be as cute. That is why you should avoid falling in love with someone like that.
They will never believe you love them for them and not the character. That is why most celebs just marry other celebs and hope it works.

They really didn't know?

Mori Calliope did the vocals for the trailer.
As a big Calli fan I would know her voice on a song, huge respect they are giving her.

I meant that none of the girls did voice work for an anime so they knew it was not an anime but some did not get to know who was being featured and how since you only hear a song not speaking roles.

MayauMiao

Most of them said it's just a music video, they "wished" it was an anime.

Kind of like Deadpool teaser trailer that eventually made into an actual movie.

Well anything can happen so hopefully the vtuber fans combined can garner enough support to make the movie a reality.

Most of them said it's just a music video, they "wished" it was an anime.

I am thinking they would have to get new sound alike voices or most of the girls would have to take 6 months off to do just voice work for a season of anime.

Not that I know the work needed to do a full season but no way would it not impact their streaming.

You can tell when these girls have a project, they are always frustrated because of lack of sleep and they complain to chat about it.

Calli is a big example for this. Now we know what some of her projects have been.

Ah was wondering why Korone didn't stream this weekend (she usually does her long stream on the weekend). Seems like she is sick and has to lie in bed. She posted multiple times how lonely she is and that she wants to stream but still needs to rest. 2 hours ago she posted she's already getting better.
Korone is really connected to her listeners. She even recorded those messages with voice.

Why is she even playing this game?

I hate horror and can only watch Gura and Calli play this because Gura is funny and Calli is cluelsss more lost than scared of anything

But if a streamer is having a hard time with a game, for some people being scared is not fun at all

Oh she paid the price

Ah was wondering why Korone didn't stream this weekend (she usually does her long stream on the weekend). Seems like she is sick and has to lie in bed. She posted multiple times how lonely she is and that she wants to stream but still needs to rest. 2 hours ago she posted she's already getting better.
Korone is really connected to her listeners. She even recorded those messages with voice.
She is really addicted to streaming and her listeners
I really believe her when she says she is lonely. I would say she will be in Hololive for the next 20 years as long as she can stream.

I was watching her clips today she is the type to play the demo of a game stream that, then stream herself watching herself play the demo before she plays the game on release day then stream 8 hours for that game and come back for more

wierd time for a birthday stream

it is 1AM in Japan so she started her birthday stream at midnight or just before

here is the link I was waiting for in 10 hours

I need to sleep

Last edited:
For some reason Kiara had to make her Backstage stream members only

I missed whatever it was she was featured in it already streamed anyway. Her member's only is in 80 minutes or so.

I am going to sleep I am glad she collabed for a Germany EU thing but too tired to follow the results

Some days ago she actually tweeted that she's thinking about quitting. But she quickly deleted it again. But yes, I don't think she's going to quit either due to her strong connection to her listeners.

well she could really be affecting her health you keep calling it a connection with her listeners and maybe I see it as a dependency she needs a life outside streaming.

I love Korone but I feel guilty when I watch her stream. I can't watch her that long anyway but sometimes when I catch her live the stream has already been going on for 6-8 hours I just feel bad. Plus Korone has some really sad times like whatever that was when she had to make her chat members only.

I stopped watching Watame for the same reason, she seems to have a daily routine she eats her first meal talking to chat for a few hours, then she sings sometimes then she may have a collab or game stream later.

As a fan it would feel really shitty to lose one of them because they don't rest enough. I stopped giving out superchats because most of EN now spends 3-5 extra hours after a fun stream having to feel they must read these things. Sometimes fun things come from those times but most of the time you can tell that person is burnt out tired.

A real connection with your fans listeners, or whatever they call it should be a 2 way street. Most fans should be concerned about the health of their favorites. I'm gonna support you but I don't want you to suffer or kill yourself trying to stream for me.

edit: I just wanted to point out I am not saying this to be over dramatic. have empathy for someone's health because I live with health issues. I have a disease that can easily be fatal. I have survived many close calls. I just know it does not take much to fuck your body up.

Last edited:
I love Korone but I feel guilty when I watch her stream. I can't watch her that long anyway but sometimes when I catch her live the stream has already been going on for 6-8 hours I just feel bad. Plus Korone has some really sad times like whatever that was when she had to make her chat members only.
Not all Vtubers overwork themselves, just because they stream a lot.

I don't agree that the fans should be concerned for the Vtubers' health, unless the Vtubers talk about it. Nobody should tell someone else what he can and what he can't do. Only you yourself know what your body can handle.

What fans should do is support their Vtubers even if they say they need a break, but not spam the chat with "Please go to sleep!" messages, even though the Vtubers say they are fine.

Korone's "sad stuff" has nothing to do with with her being overworked. It only has to do with her mother. But as she said herself, even if sad things happen, the show must go on.

Edit: That's why I also tell you, you're worrying too much about Haachama. I still think so. Haachama said herself "You worry way too much about me". Sure she doesn't collab much with others, sure she has changed a lot lately. But that's all her own decision and she made that pretty clear.

Last edited:
Was thinking some more about relationship with Vtubers. I feel like there's quite a difference between EN and JP Vtubers in that regard. Even Hololive staff talked about that. When they hire JP Vtubers, they always judge their talent as an idol, whereas for EN they focused on their talent as entertainers.

I feel like you can strongly notice this when it comes to sense of responsibility. Like as Smiles and Cries said, EN Vtubers do not want you to fall in love with them and are even scared by it. JP Vtubers on the other hand are behaving a lot more like they are owning a harem and feel a lot more responsible for the well-being of their viewers. I guess it's also because the Idol concept isn't really known outside Japan and probably wouldn't even be accepted by society easily (feminists would rampage).

Completely different topic:
By the way, if you are into Yandere, I can recommend Momonya:

I think I didn't talk about her before, but she is really good at voice acting and her 2D is probably the best animated 2D I've seen to far.
I'm not really into the "Yandere" roleplay stuff myself, though, so I only watch her Duolingo streams lol.

Last edited:
Gura's tail is a weird design so pants are awkward, she has given hints she wears no underwear.

Well, she's not wrong.

Time to watch the new Charlotte talk stream:

I don't know who she is but she agrees with me that Haachama is not mentally well, but is one of the vtubers she likes.
weird she looks nothing like a vampire

Last edited:
Oh Choco was actually a guest a Tamaki at the beginning of the month:

Yabai as always and revealed lots of information you otherwise don't hear. (This would never work with EN girls, though.)

I'm not saying it's gonna be Nyanners but it's probably going to be Nyanners

I was afraid the politics was gonna ruin Veibae's chances, Hololive is very sensitive to fan reactions and people really started to spread that old clip from Veibae. Maybe after the fans cool off.

I like Nyanners better as a collab anyway.

Calli was saying it might not happen due to not having full permissions

looks like it might still be on, or she is doing it without being monetized. Or they could be playing another game together.

This table top game was something Calli worked on for a long time, she is very hyped and geeked out about it

both Ame and Gura are sleeping on stream both were up late gaming

this is one of the longer collab streams EN has had and they stayed over 30K
seems like they are going to take this very serious for a long term game

Last edited:
Top Bottom