• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volition won't back down to negative feedback on Saints Row reboot trailer - says its just a shock reaction

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm struggling to see what is so woke with the game? Especially woke enough to spit the vitriol seen here? Does having non white characters mean woke now? I don't get it.

Do you people realize you're acting like the bizarro of the the woke crowd you hate so much? Constantly picking apart everything and getting offended by wokeness, phantom or real. It's bizarre behavior.

People are confusing ‘woke’ with ‘targeted at kids’. That’s the real problem here.

They are clearly after a young demographic with this, but a lot of Gaf are old cunts, and have an issue with it, because the old games weren’t designed for that audience.

It‘s a fucking kids game. Therefore I have zero interest.

YCoCg

Can we not turn this into a race issue! That is such a weak cop out to dismiss people complaining about this game. The original Saints Row featured even more POC's from Asian and Hispanic backgrounds, as well as having a large unique cast.

Race has nothing to do with this and if you're trying to hand waive complaints as "racism" then clearly you don't know the fucking series yourself!

Majukun

Can we not turn this into a race issue! That is such a weak cop out to dismiss people complaining about this game. The original Saints Row featured even more POC's from Asian and Hispanic backgrounds, as well as having a large unique cast.

Race has nothing to do with this and if you're trying to hand waive complaints as "racism" then clearly you don't know the fucking series yourself!
if it's not about race what are all these "woke" comments?

One might not like the aesthetic of the characters or the game in general but nothing of that makes the game woke.

we just have a game that tries to appeal to a younger demographic, the one that thinks that fortnite looks cool

personally i already passed this when they turned fire emblem into a waifu simulator..i'm just assuming the age of people posting here since the first saint's is pretty old at this point..we are just getting old, we are not the mainstream demo anymore.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

One might not like the aesthetic of the characters or the game in general but nothing of that makes the game woke.

we just have a game that tries to appeal to a younger demographic, the one that thinks that fortnite looks cool

personally i already passed this when they turned fire emblem into a waifu simulator..i'm just assuming the age of people posting here since the first saint's is pretty old at this point..we are just getting old, we are not the mainstream demo anymore.

It's not just about that.

Like, the whole student debt phenomenom? Doesn't exist outside the US. They're targetting a narrow american demographic.

Tschumi

Where tho, if I may ignorantly asked?
I don't know the context of your statement but I've got student debt and I'm Australian.. i think the reason student debt in the us is a bigger deal is because your universities cost, like, some giant multiplication of what mine cost

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't know the context of your statement but I've got student debt and I'm Australian.. i think the reason student debt in the us is a bigger deal is because your universities cost, like, some giant multiplication of what mine cost
So your university still cost you something? Was it private?

M1chl

I dunno, the government paid for my uni but i gotta pay them back once i pass a certain earnings threshold, i think
Interesting and far better system than USA.

There's lots of people with student loan debts in Canada. Tuition, books, etc. just keep going up too.
Still I am struggling to understand, why country with GDP of few of your cities can do this all for free (if you made it on time that is). Well free, taxes and all that shit, but I can see it being that much lower in your places.

Tschumi

Still I am struggling to understand, why country with GDP of few of your cities can do this all for free (if you made it on time that is). Well free, taxes and all that shit, but I can see it being that much lower in your places.
I should probably know more than this lol i think I'd be over that threshold now but i live overseas and it's all so far away ha

laynelane

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. University and college are not free here. Are you saying they should be?

YCoCg

People confusing the term perhaps? It doesn't help that these new character designs seem to be designed by a committee to use every stereotype that does have crossover with things people call "woke".

The issue comes down to the new cast being a bunch of Gen Z teens who got into crime to pay off their Student loans, and they do so by ripping off street gangs. It feels dumb, and the Devs constantly praising themselves for creating a "diverse" cast feels hollow when there is LESS representation than the original gang.

M1chl

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. University and college are not free here. Are you saying they should be?
Why not, they are here. If you take state/public Uni, you got it full covered. If you finish your studies in 3 years time for Bc. and another 3 years for masters. In private you can only reach Bc. for masters it has to be public uni.

laynelane

Why not, they are here. If you take state/public Uni, you got it full covered. If you finish your studies in 3 years time for Bc. and another 3 years for masters. In private you can only reach Bc. for masters it has to be public uni.

That would be lovely, free University/College education. I know I'd take advantage of it. The tuition fees are so high here that it puts people into debt for years after they finish school. The government is pretty serious about collecting those debts too.

Guilty_AI

Well, no one can't deny that everyone wants to copy Fortnite in hopes of recreating its success and the money that it makes. Sadly, we live in a horrible age of video games right now. It's like how in the PS3/360 era every FPS wanted to be Call of Duty and ruined Killzone franchise in the process :(
Or how everyone wanted to be gta before that. Or super mario even more before.

xrnzaaas

I hope that Epic money covered most of their budget for this game since they've already alienated a lot of the fans of the original games and it's not a guarantee they'll bring in many new customers.

Boss Mog

I'm struggling to see what is so woke with the game? Especially woke enough to spit the vitriol seen here? Does having non white characters mean woke now? I don't get it.

Do you people realize you're acting like the bizarro of the the woke crowd you hate so much? Constantly picking apart everything and getting offended by wokeness, phantom or real. It's bizarre behavior.
Yes there's the character designs which look like woke hipsters and not gangsters, but the most woke stuff about this game is what Volition is saying. Basically that in current year they don't feel comfortable doing a game like the old Saints Row games. That the story is about millenials strugling to pay student loans :pie_eyeroll: . That they hired a bunch of "diverse" people that didn't like or felt offended by the old Saints Row games to steer this new game.

Doczu

Sounds like those places should take a little time for some reflection on customs and beliefs.
Sounds like you should take that purple dildo out of your ass and get off the high horse. I'm sick and tired listening how "we" should always "adapt" or "reflect".

Now that i have that thing out of the way:

It looks and sounds like a total cringefest and the cinematics were a big part of the last two games so...
Will need to see more, gameplay wise

Fair play to them for sticking to thier guns. I can't say I like (or even give 2 shits about the) game but it's good to see artists stick to thier gins in general.

The problem is they fucked themselves because twitter mobs will hunt them down and call them arrogant for sticking to thier visions. Then on lookers will say they are shitting on fans when clearly they are only responding to strongly negative opinions about thier game while trying to convey that things arent going to change. PR in 2021 is a fucking nightmare; stick to your guns you're arrogant and hate your own fans, submit to fans and you're a weak snowflake.

Literally the best thing a dev can do is shut thier mouth and release the best game they can and let the game do the talking. But then ofcourse they would just be "ignoring fans" which is equally as bad. It's almost like social media makes things worse hmmm.....

Sounds like you should take that purple dildo out of your ass and get off the high horse. I'm sick and tired listening how "we" should always "adapt" or "reflect".

Now that i have that thing out of the way:

It looks and sounds like a total cringefest and the cinematics were a big part of the last two games so...
Will need to see more, gameplay wise
Try it, you might like it. "If you have love in your heart, who am I to judge you?"

Azurro

Banned
That would be lovely, free University/College education. I know I'd take advantage of it. The tuition fees are so high here that it puts people into debt for years after they finish school. The government is pretty serious about collecting those debts too.

It wouldn't be so expensive in the US and other places if they were not treating degrees like products to sell. They make up ridiculous degrees, mostly in social "sciences" that are just machines that only crank out unemployable youtubers/activists or other degrees that are basically party degrees as well as having enormous campuses that are there mostly for show to entice kids to show up that honestly shouldn't have a place there.

Last edited:

Kadve

While i again salute Volition for sticking to their guns, i think they're missing the forest for the trees here thinking people are only disliking the change itself.

This is just my opinion, but here is my problem with the "Woke" aesthetic/trend that i think i might share with at least some people, it feels like its insulting you. Showing off all these "cool" diversities might be fine and all if you're actually part of them but what if your not? Does that mean you're worth less by just being a regular guy?

The other big thing also related to the above i don't like with it, is that game/movie/whatever always puts these "traits" front and center and sometimes characters are entirely bult around showing them off.
Not only does this make them very flat from a story development standpoint (as said traits are rarely a part of the story), but it also often makes them come of as extremely arrogant and full of themselves and lets be honest here, why should i care about such characters?

Rheon

While i again salute Volition for sticking to their guns, i think they're missing the forest for the trees here thinking people are only disliking the change itself.

This is just my opinion, but here is my problem with the "Woke" aesthetic/trend that i think i might share with at least some people, it feels like its insulting you. Showing off all these "cool" diversities might be fine and all if you're actually part of them but what if your not? Does that mean you're worth less by just being a regular guy?

The other big thing also related to the above i don't like with it, is that game/movie/whatever always puts these "traits" front and center and sometimes characters are entirely bult around showing them off.
Not only does this make them very flat from a story development standpoint (as said traits are rarely a part of the story), but it also often makes them come of as extremely arrogant and full of themselves and lets be honest here, why should i care about such characters?

Compleletely agree with everything here, especially the last part.

It almost feels like the trait has a character attached to it, rather than vice versa.

M1chl

As others have already stated, many countries require students to pay their university fees. I'm still several thousand in debt and I finished uni well over ten years ago. The UK has some of the highest figures for student-related debt.
That really sucks, hopefully it does not cause much of a problems.

Star-Lord

That really sucks, hopefully it does not cause much of a problems.
It's not so much a problem as it is a frustration. It's being paid off bit by bit, but having it hover over my credit score means getting loans or a mortgage is nigh-on impossible. Still, I have enough money to keep a roof over my head and food in my belly so I can't complain too much.

quest

Not Banned from OT

Honestly I am glad they made it known now so I can forget about the game. I know they won't listen to feed back and this is the product I have zero interest and can support other developers. Loved the first 2 games but this no fucking way.

StormCell

I'm 48 I grew up with Atari, then NES, SMS etc I still play games and most people I know my age are still gamers as well, the average console gamer again is 35 that's all I looked up I didn't look up PC or mobile gamers but when it comes to consoles it's 35 not people in their 20's. I am sure there are plenty of gamers in their 20's but I think a lot of them still play on a switch or go with mobile stuff.

Nintendo Switch bothers you, doesn't it? :LOL:

It appeals to everyone. It's a console. It's a portable.

Just about everyone owns one. My dock sits next to my Series X. They kind of blend together back there. The PS5, when I get one, is gonna clash.

nbkicker

Watched the trailer and deffenlty not for me, i think its fine the developer sticking to there vision of the game, but at the end of the day if the game bombs and doesn’t make them more money then they spent making it then they only have themselves to blame for it, although after this announcement and i loved the origional saints row, im now worried for when timesplitters gets announced

The thing about this is they are like 3-4 games deep into the series so instead of continuing to build on the foundation they have created with those other games they decided to scrap everything to chase that fortnite money which doesn’t make sense to me.

If they wanted to take a different direction why not just call the game something else. It’s sad to see how much money is really ruining video games, devs/publishers don’t want to take risk anymore so dumb shit like this and cross gen games will continue to happen which sucks.

StormCell

Woke means many things now in addition to race. Yes, race is a sort of minor issue in the Saints Row reboot -- you can't deny that when the protags are of any other ethnicity but white and the antags are of one very distinct ethnicity (they're white!). It's forgivable and something that can be overlooked if it were the only thing being flaunted. Woke means many things, though. Woke is masculine women acting tough and blowing white dudes up. Woke is beta male with very feminine qualities. Woke is blurring gender norms and having colored hair. Summarized, woke is all these things front and center and on the big stage; it's political.

You simply can't pretend that people's issues boil down to good ol' fashioned racism when there are other serious issues that have just been getting steamrolled, politically, for several years now. You may think that homosexuality gained mainstream acceptance the moment the white house got lit up in rainbow colors, but the truth is that half the population has just been getting cold shouldered and steamrolled publicly since that day. That doesn't make the issue disappear. Since then, the ante has just been getting upped, over and over. It went from gay rights and gay marriage to trans rights. And remember, half the population of the US is just getting steam rolled and made to be quiet while all of this is going down.

That's what woke is. Woke is a political agenda people are steamrolled with. It gets delivered whether people want it or not, and that's why woke is a huge problem.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ding-fans-as-volition-says-it-wont-back-down/

THE NEW GAME'S REVEAL TRAILER CURRENTLY HAS MORE DISLIKES THAN LIKES ON YOUTUBE

Despite this, developer Volition has made it clear that it isn’t going to change the vision it has for the game based on the initial reaction to the trailer.

After responding to a follower with a gif saying “haters gonna hate” and being told it was letting down the fanbase, the official Saints Row Twitter account replied: “We are not backing down on this game. We get it, it’s new and it’s a shock reaction to a reboot like no other.

GCQSb2.jpg

FWIW, in the trailer thread, I said the small snippet of gameplay 15-20s actually looked ok and I'd just ignore the weird characters like I did in WD2. More about the arrogance and PR on that tweet to be honest. As soon as you get into principles and start blaming the reaction on the fans then..........

EA tried that before with BFV*, and it worked well bashing their fans.

Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Zannegan

Back down? What are people expecting at this point, an apology, an admission that their new take on the franchise sucks before the game is even out?

They're clearly too far along to just scrap it and start over. Even if the new direction doesn't resonate, they're better off sticking with their vision, pushing the game out and "going back to their roots" with the next one. And I say that as someone with 0 interest in what they've shown so far.

They're stuck with what they have, so they have to make the best of it. And, who knows? Maybe this crap is what the people want. *shrug*

They tried that with Agents of Mayhem and that game bombed hard so this time they wanted Saints Row in the title to try to sucker some money from fans of the franchise.
That game bombed because it wasn't a good game. Slapping Saints Row on the title isn't going to help them here either because this looks nothing like a saints row game.

Top Bottom