• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volition won't back down to negative feedback on Saints Row reboot trailer - says its just a shock reaction

Keihart

All devs should ignore comments and continue with whatever vision their leads have chosen. Except Blizzard.
As much i like devs pushing their vision, who would respect games like this being done by committee, is like the complete opposite of auteur. (they even admitted to changing the game based on a committee in the long trailer with interviews, complete bitches)

This is not even close to something like TLoU2, there at least what people claimed to be woke made sense in context and was all in line with the vision of the director.

Not that i care too much if Saints Row bombs hard, they were already doing the bare minimum to separate themselves from similar games, now it literally looks like watch dogs or some Ubisoft game, one of those Ubisandboxes that all look the same.

Also this, people have short memory i guess.
Ninja Theory said the same thing about DmC. Obviously this outrage will slightly change this game.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Meh. The difference is Ninja Theory's art direction has always been top-notch and distinctive. This feels soulless. Its Poochie the dog 2021-style. its lame and corporate now, and is going to date even worse.
Not always. I don't think too many people this artwork looks great. But it's a sign of the times. Not sure which game made devs go nuts over art and gaming like below, but here we are.

capsule_616x353.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'd like to think Saints Row fans would have preferred a Saints Row 2 remaster. Or a game that has you play as a crime boss instead of whatever we are getting in this "reimagining".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well it's not that it's just few people hating it:

Saints Row Reboot - Reveal Trailer | gamescom 2021 - YouTube

Saints Row - Announce Trailer - YouTube

I don't think I have ever seen such backlash from announcement trailer....and that it's a beautiful thing.
I dont play SR games, but know enough about them that the first games were more like a b-tier GTA game. Some over the top stuff, but not as crazy looking as the last SR game or the reboot. I don't think the typical SR fan expects a "reboot" to be like Fortnite , even though a reboot can mean anything. I think it's reasonable the average gamer would think a reboot would be modern visuals, good online modes, and not content exact (like a remake). But something like SR1.

But for gamers to expect a reboot to be more like something for Fortnite gamers is out of scope.

That would be like Hideo announcing a MGS reboot from the PS1 days. And he makes it modernized with bright art and characters from hero based shooters.

Last edited:
My only worry is that no one actually thinks this style is interesting and authentic, and corporations invented it to keep themselves out of hot water. This isn't anyone's vision, but it would be an easier, less fraught path than trying to make an edgy Saints Row.

If this is what the kids want, I'm happy to find my own joy in it and feel a bit old because past things were more to my tastes. I want to see the genuine excitement over XDefiant from young players hooked on Rainbow Six today but find it bland, boring military. I haven't seen it, and I think thats because the whole thing is coming from corporate.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My only worry is that no one actually thinks this style is interesting and authentic, and corporations invented it to keep themselves out of hot water. This isn't anyone's vision, but it would be an easier, less fraught path than trying to make an edgy Saints Row.

If this is what the kids want, I'm happy to find my own joy in it and feel a bit old because past things were more to my tastes. I want to see the genuine excitement over XDefiant from young players hooked on Rainbow Six today but find it bland, boring military. I haven't seen it, and I think thats because the whole thing is coming from corporate.
Well said.

Personally, I think the trend to all these styles is crap. But if the modern trend of Fortnite and Overwatch bright and bloomy art with crazy characters are the rage the past 5+ years, then so be it. Then I'd just be outdated in my gaming tastes. Gaming follows the money.

But will be interesting how well SR and Xdefiant sell.

supernova8

Banned
Well said.

Personally, I think the trend to all these styles is crap. But if the modern trend of Fortnite and Overwatch bright and bloomy art with crazy characters are the rage the past 5+ years, then so be it. Then I'd just be outdated in my gaming tastes. Gaming follows the money.

But will be interesting how well SR and Xdefiant sell.

Xdefiant

team america vomit GIF

Yeah one positive is that it's not quite as bad as Xdefiant.

Sygma

I'm liking the stance taken by Volition. Believe in the game, if it turns out to have great gameplay, memorable set pieces and everything all the power to them honestly. Very much enjoyed SR 2 and 4, let's see if they can keep up the hilarious social commentary in that reboot its honestly the only thing I'm asking for

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If there's no boobs slider or i cant run around in bra and panty then im not buying coz its not my Saints Row. Its New Wokemerica Saints Row.
Character Creator is still in.
They even showed us the silver surfer skin already.
So running around naked should still be an option.

On Topic:
I dont really see a problem with the character designs(cept Blazer boy)......and if anyone is coming at me with Saints Rows story elements....just miss me now.
I love Saints Row as a series and still remember suffering through the X360 version that ran at like 14fps still one of my favorite games.
But you coming at me about the story......nada who are you kidding?
Outrage for outrages sake is the same exact thing the woke crowd do when they see a frikken tit.
Chill the fuck out.....hopefully we can kill or just ignore blazerboy early in the game cuz Dex was a piece of shit before new Dex seems to be an even worse version of Dex so im gonna have to avoid him as much as possible.

P.S This doesnt really look like fortnite.
It looks like the Third remaster with a higher polycount and SSS.
JmjvgPj.jpg

JonSnowball

The most hilarious part of this thread is the people coming in with their take that people don't like the new Saints Row because it's "woke" due to being "diverse".....ignoring that all previous entries in the franchise had an incredibly diverse cast.

The reason people don't like the new Saints Row is because it looks incredibly generic, uninspired, and seems to fly in the face of everything the franchise is known for to the degree that in-game gags such as "Freckle Bitches" is now "FBs", and "Rim Jobs" is "Jim Robs" alongside comments from the creative leads on the project about keeping up with modern sensibilities. It'd be as if Trey Parker and Matt Stone rebooted South Park and proceeded to participate in interviews stating that the character of Eric Cartman was out of date, and the content reflected in the show and characters has been updated to stay with the times and in doing so it ended up being a generic show about American kids hanging out in a mountain town having wacky adventures without any of the charm or tone the show was known and popular for. The crass nature of the franchise is part of what people enjoy, to throw that out the window is to effectively kill the franchise.

I'll wait for the Saints Row 2 PC patch that's apparently in the works, and hope a studio remasters it as was done with Saints Row: The Third.

On an unrelated note, this trailer sure is something:

Last edited:
😆 i never saw any of that promotional content for SR2 besides the "gangs" trailer. I just bought it because the ending for SR1 was so sick and i was still having fun with the multiplayer of SR1.

Soltype

It wasn't just RimJobs that got nuked, Freckle Bitches is now FBS and the poster girl got covered up with what looks like the usual dumbass hairstyle:
E96GdQ5WEAE-pRl.jpg

Too edgy for modern day I guess.
Smh, didn't catch that one. I'm trying to figure out why they are shooting for a m rating if it's so sterile.

zombrex

I was surprised about the outrage just because I thought people stop caring about this series.
It jumped the shark after the second game and has been desperately needing a reboot.
That said the reveal was so inofensively generic, dull and boring. Just another game to add to the trash pile.

Umbral

Oh, how I love watching people bounce between “developers should be free to create their vision” and “developers should cater to my vision.”
When you’re rebooting a series there’s a framework you should stick too. DOOM 2016 is how you reboot. You don’t make the DOOM reboot into a Fortnite clone because it’s popular. Old Saint‘s Row was intentionally offensive and juvenile.

From ”strap it on,” Whored Mode (where you murder waves of hookers), floppy purple dildo bat, Freckle Bitches, Rim Jobs to no dildo bat, FB’s and Jim Rob’s. They missed the mark and it’s their own fault when it flops.
The whole style of it is pretty cringe, plus they stole that LCD helmet with the cat ears from Destruction All Stars.
And Destruction All Stars stole it from Watch Dogs 2. The flavor of the week.

Black_Stride

The whole style of it is pretty cringe, plus they stole that LCD helmet with the cat ears from Destruction All Stars.

Hahahaha you thought the LED Helmet with cat ears was original to Destruction All Stars.
Dest Allstars is like the definition of lets take a bit from here and bit from hear and just put it all in.

Allstars is the least original game weve had this generation.....and weve had two Call of Dutys.
Nobody is looking at Allstars and thinking we should steal that.....for literally anything cept maybe being a free PS+ game for the first month.

P.S They are generally called Neko Helmets (Neko is cat in Japanese).
And Visor LEDs arent even something new....controlled ones are just either illegal, really distracting and/or really hot so not many people actually use them cept for cosplay and shitt

71YwTTkuplL._AC_SL1275_.jpg

blue__89113.1567760217.jpg

Azurro

Banned
I'm liking the stance taken by Volition. Believe in the game, if it turns out to have great gameplay, memorable set pieces and everything all the power to them honestly. Very much enjoyed SR 2 and 4, let's see if they can keep up the hilarious social commentary in that reboot its honestly the only thing I'm asking for

They are not going to redo the script, perform motion capture, change characters, redo set pieces, change art style. That is almost like redeveloping a game, they don't really have a choice, it's not like Halo Infinite where people were laughing at how bad the graphics looked.

Black_Stride

And it still is a super shitty and lame reason to start a fucking gang of criminals even if it was the most common problem in the planet.

Hahahaha whats a good reason to start a criminal gang?
Considering alot of gangs start because a few guys live on the same street.

Inviusx

Hahahaha you thought the LED Helmet with cat ears was original to Destruction All Stars.
Dest Allstars is like the definition of lets take a bit from here and bit from hear and just put it all in.

Allstars is the least original game weve had this generation.....and weve had two Call of Dutys.
Nobody is looking at Allstars and thinking we should steal that.....for literally anything cept maybe being a free PS+ game for the first month.

P.S They are generally called Neko Helmets (Neko is cat in Japanese).
And Visor LEDs arent even something new....controlled ones are just either illegal, really distracting and/or really hot so not many people actually use them cept for cosplay and shitt

71YwTTkuplL._AC_SL1275_.jpg

blue__89113.1567760217.jpg

3Sj6DE6.png

GymWolf

Hahahaha whats a good reason to start a criminal gang?
Considering alot of gangs start because a few guys live on the same street.
Literally anything else, it's fucking lame and the opposite of badass.

Dude we get it, you want to defend the game but you are not gonna convince anyone unfortunately.

People didn't woke up in the morning just to hate that trailer for no reason at all...

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Less cringe than student loans, yes.
They need money to pay their student loans.
So money is the reason they are in this.

But yeah as you said I aint trying to convince people to NOT hate the game whether it bombs or not doesnt affect me cuz im gonna be playing it either way....i waited this long for a sequel to Saints Row 2 and 3 (fuck 4) I dont mind them not having a sequel to this for another generation.

Others can hate, im just breaking down their arguments for hating the game so I can understand the hate.

GymWolf

They need money to pay their student loans.
So money is the reason they are in this.

But yeah as you said I aint trying to convince people to NOT hate the game whether it bombs or not doesnt affect me cuz im gonna be playing it either way....i waited this long for a sequel to Saints Row 2 and 3 (fuck 4) I dont mind them not having a sequel to this for another generation.

Others can hate, im just breaking down their arguments for hating the game so I can understand the hate.
I wanna watch some prolonged gameplay before deciding but the gameplay snippets looked pretty underwhelming to me.

I always put fun gameplay and more gamey parameters over bad artstyle or woke stuff.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not always. I don't think too many people this artwork looks great. But it's a sign of the times. Not sure which game made devs go nuts over art and gaming like below, but here we are.

capsule_616x353.jpg

I don't like it much myself, but its not because it looks hyper-corporate and focus-tested-to-death.

This is the issue people complaining about Volition's offering "looking like Fortnite" are highlighting. it doesn't give the impression of being the result of weak artistic direction so much as marketing concerns determining every aspect from colour-palette on down.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The title and concept are ridiculous. Company wont cave to whiny bitches and change game they have been working on for years that is due to release in 5 months. No shit.

I liked Saints Row but was leaning towards skipping this reboot because it is not a continuation. Now I am leaning towards playing it early to spite the whiny bitches.

SJRB

Gold Member
The title and concept are ridiculous. Company wont cave to whiny bitches and change game they have been working on for years that is due to release in 5 months. No shit.

I liked Saints Row but was leaning towards skipping this reboot because it is not a continuation. Now I am leaning towards playing it early to spite the whiny bitches.

...you're gonna play a game you don't really want to play to spite people who don't want to play the game?

Galaxy brain logic right there.

TonyK

Gamescom full list of winners (not a joke):
  • Best Announcement – Saints Row
  • Best Trailer – Saints Row
  • Best Action Adventure Game – Elden Ring
  • Best Action Game – Far Cry 6
  • Best Family Game – Super Dungeon Maker
  • Best Indie – Lost in Random
  • Best RPG – Elden Ring
  • Best Simulation – Park Beyond
  • Best Sports – Game Riders Republic
  • Best Strategy – Age of Empires IV
  • Best Multiplayer Game – Halo Infinite
  • Best Support – Apex Legends
  • Most original game – Dice Legacy
  • Best Microsoft Xbox Game – Halo Infinite
  • Best Nintendo Switch Game – Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
  • Best PC Game – Syberia: The World Before
  • Best Sony PlayStation Game – Elden Ring
  • Best Line-up – Bandai Namco
  • Best of Gamescom – Elden Ring

Shubh_C63

If there's no boobs slider or i cant run around in bra and panty then im not buying coz its not my Saints Row. Its New Wokemerica Saints Row.
Possibly why I like dev standing up for themselves.
Only few people have actually played SR1 while SR3 was definitely the peak of the franchise player base.

Making it like SR3-vibe is A-Ok to me. Its coop was very fun.

Top Bottom