• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vikings season 5 details: Bjorn goes to the desert

In a new article from Entertainment Weekly, there are more details about the fifth season of Vikings.

Bjorn Ironside has sailed down rivers and across the sea on quests of conquest and plunder. But this season on Vikings, the heroic Northman (played by Alexander Ludwig) will find himself in water so uncharted that it's not even water.

”I always knew the real Bjorn Ironside went into the Mediterranean and found himself in what is now Tunisia, on the edge of the Sahara," explains Vikings creator Michael Hirst. ”One of the things that was constraining us was that we couldn't reproduce the Sahara desert in the west of Ireland."

But for the show's expansive fifth season, the Irish-based production shot sequences in Morocco, with Bjorn riding a camel through a radically new geographic (and political) landscape. ”When you see the Vikings in the Sahara, in these sand dunes... you'd never seen that palette on the show before. It's exquisite and wonderful. "

000259655hr.jpg

There's plenty more details in the interview (link is in the first sentence of this topic).

Personally, I LOVE this series, and I'm pretty strict when it comes to which series I genuinely care for. It constantly surprises me with new settings and new characters, it doesn't fuss around with staying too long at one time period and skips a lot of years so you really get the gist of the viking age. And the battles, lord the battles. While they aren't of the scale of the battles seens in GoT, they are choreagraphed SO WELL... it just isn't comparable.

I loved Ragnar, of course, but Ivar is a great character as well and he really clicked with me throughout season 4. Season 5 seems to focus even more on him so I'm all for it.

Any other fans here? I know there's a an OT for last season but with this being new news and all I thought it was worth the efford to create a new topic.

Chumley

Banned
Fuck Bjorn. Shitty character, shitty actor. I'm interested in seeing where Ivar's plot goes, however.

Generally though I don't think the show can recover from losing Travis Fimmel. He carried the entire show on his back and they don't have any other actors on the bench that come close to his talent.

Fuck Bjorn. Shitty character, shitty actor. I'm interested in seeing where Ivar's plot goes, however.

Generally though I don't think the show can recover from losing Travis Fimmel. He carried the entire show on his back.

I think if anyone can replace him its Ivar. Its difficult sure, but possible.

CloudWolf

The real Björn Ironside? I'm pretty sure the jury is still out on Ragnar Lothbrok, Björn Ironside, etc. ever existing at all or just being myths.

Great show, more people should give it a shot.

The real Björn Ironside? I'm pretty sure the jury is still out on Ragnar Lothbrok, Björn Ironside, etc. ever existing at all or just being myths.

I thought Ragnar was the questionable one, but Björn fully existed for real?

CloudWolf

I thought Ragnar was the questionable one, but Björn fully existed for real?

Nope. The only members of that family line historians agree definitely existed were Eric the Victorious and everyone who came after that. Everything before that is more myth than fact. Basically all the information about the Swedish kings before Eric the Victorious comes from old sagas and stories so while some of it may be true, it's filled with stuff like dwarves, flaming swords, invincibility, etc, so historians worldwide have kind of agreed on those sources being unreliable.

DrSlek

I'm totally fine with this. It's a shorthand way of showing that Vikings got around. How far they travelled is pretty impressive.

Ragnar is thought to have existed because his sons are definitely known to have existed.

Treo360

Will watch for Lagertha, but since Ragnar is done, my interest has fallen off a bit. Ivar and his brothers are very "meh" to me.

I'm totally fine with this. It's a shorthand way of showing that Vikings got around. How far they travelled is pretty impressive.

Ragnar is thought to have existed because his sons are definitely known to have existed.

A lot of people called themselves the son of ragnar. Doesnt prove anything. Ragnar is a myth but the people claiming they were sons of him were real.

I enjoy the show, but do feel it's rapidly outstaying its welcome. Seeing Bjorn exploring makes me happy, though:the more Bjorn gets to do that doesn't involve whoever he happens to be fucking at the time, the better. He shines at being a Viking, his lovelife sucks. :lol

I'm not a fan of Ivar, though. Psychotic fratricidal kid, I hope they've got a snake pit ready for him, too.

Theorry

I mean the show has always been just oke. But got lifted because of Ragnar and now he is gone. I dont know if i am still intrested.

Dysun

Ragnar was great but it's time to let it go.
He had to die if they wanted to move the show into the next phase of Vikings lore

Haven't followed the show since the France stuff and losing Aethelstan because it became so dull and now I hear Ragnar is gone too? Nah, I'm good.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It could be Ivar but the show makes me hate him more.

Yeah, Ivar has the problem of being well written and acted but being a despicable character that's impossible to like.

Top Bottom