• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Sniper Elite 5 PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
As much as a 30% pixel count advantage for Series X in certain instances.

Elite Snipers need higher resolution.

soccer sniper GIF

Yeah, higher pixel count will definitely be more beneficial when using the sniper scopes for distant targets.

The performance differential is inconsequential as it only seems to trigger in the X Ray kill canned animations, there's no active input there so it doesn't effect anything.

PaintTinJr

its tesselation

https://imgsli.com/MTExOTcz

doesn't seem to be a costly setting on a 3060ti at 4k though

https://imgsli.com/MTExOTc4

https://imgsli.com/MTExOTgx
In most of those scenes the foreground is just flat walls - so nothing to tessellate beyond the model IMO, wireframe mode would be useful if it can be hacked in on PC to see which geometry the tessellation is making a difference to.

The last shot shows undulating ground surfaces in the foreground - which will tesselate heavily - and it loses 4fps even with the advantage of not drawing to a far horizon, which would be a better measure of the impact.

I also wonder how that feature would impact performance on a PC console like the steam deck.

yamaci17

In most of those scenes the foreground is just flat walls - so nothing to tessellate beyond the model IMO, wireframe mode would be useful if it can be hacked in on PC to see which geometry the tessellation is making a difference to.

The last shot shows undulating ground surfaces in the foreground - which will tesselate heavily - and it loses 4fps even with the advantage of not drawing to a far horizon, which would be a better measure of the impact.

I also wonder how that feature would impact performance on a PC console like the steam deck.
OJ2Jwdm.png

https://imgsli.com/MTExOTkw

jaysius

Banned
Sad Season 6 GIF by This Is Us

Time to sell my PS5 and quit gaming. I can't stand this devastating 0.9% loss.
This is only an issue if you think this kind of topic is a war. It's that kind of dumb mentality that makes the console wars keep going. These threads are merely comparing performance among machines. People need to grow up.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is only an issue if you think this kind of topic is a war. It's that kind of dumb mentality that makes the console wars keep going. These threads are merely comparing performance among machines. People need to grow up.

The vast majority of comparison threads are fun, consider it like banter between two competing football clubs. Also we don't need to grow up ffs.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Looking at that scene again and checking up the DX11(,1) addition of the feature to DX the reason why that scene and the others - except for the one that dropped 4fps - aren't see a hit with the tessellation is because it is indeed a foreground feature in DX and the real aspect that hits performance with it is in the shadow mapping pass. All the scenes except for the one that drops 4fps have a scene configuration that won't add a tessellation burden to the shadow map pass.

If you did the same scene again and rotated the character 180degs - so that the sun was on his back and his shadow cast into the near foreground - you should see a difference in performance and a difference in the shadow being cast - like your other scene shows. To be fair I think a 3060ti is overkill for showing the performance difference because the game has too much headroom at those settings in cross-gen, and probably runs higher LoDs to begin with because of the excessive VRAM, so the tessellation won't be doing very much compared to being off.

I also suspect PlayStation's tessellation feature is still based on the code they did back in the PS3 era on the SPUs (IIRC), so it won't be limited to the foreground and in turn causing a bigger performance hit further into scenes.

yamaci17

Looking at that scene again and checking up the DX11(,1) addition of the feature to DX the reason why that scene and the others - except for the one that dropped 4fps - aren't see a hit with the tessellation is because it is indeed a foreground feature in DX and the real aspect that hits performance with it is in the shadow mapping pass. All the scenes except for the one that drops 4fps have a scene configuration that won't add a tessellation burden to the shadow map pass.

If you did the same scene again and rotated the character 180degs - so that the sun was on his back and his shadow cast into the near foreground - you should see a difference in performance and a difference in the shadow being cast - like your other scene shows. To be fair I think a 3060ti is overkill for showing the performance difference because the game has too much headroom at those settings in cross-gen, and probably runs higher LoDs to begin with because of the excessive VRAM, so the tessellation won't be doing very much compared to being off.

I also suspect PlayStation's tessellation feature is still based on the code they did back in the PS3 era on the SPUs (IIRC), so it won't be limited to the foreground and in turn causing a bigger performance hit further into scenes.
Cat What GIF by truth

PaintTinJr

yamaci17 yamaci17

Sorry, going by the way you post I assumed you were technical enough and would understand how shadow mapping works, and understand where the bulk of the foreground geometry being tessellated is in a scene.

I'm not sure if this will help you understand better, but the foreground of the shadow map's frustum is only going to contain the tessellated - large polygon count player's - model when the light source casting the model's shadow is behind the game view's frustum (near plane) and pointing into the scene.

Last edited:
Top Bottom