• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Star Wars Jedi Survivor PS5 Patch 7 Frame Rate Comparison

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Star Wars Jedi Survivor frame rate comparison comparing the framerate/fps on PS5 with Patch 7 vs Patch 4.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Performance Mode
12:36 - Quality Mode

Patch 7 has disabled Ray Tracing in performance mode.

Performance mode in Patch 7 has additional foliage and an improved LOD transition distance compared to performance mode in Patch 4 which can be seen at 3:57 and 0:32 respectively.

Comparing Patch 7 and Patch 4, the resolution in performance mode has been improved and the dynamic resolution upper bounds is now 1706x960 compared to 1536x864 in Patch 4. The reconstructed resolution via FSR 2 has also been increased from 2304x1296 to 2560x1440.

With Patch 7 the UI resolution has been lowered in performance mode and now renders at 2560x1440 instead of 3840x2160.

PlatformsPS5 Performance Mode Patch 7PS5 Performance Mode Patch 4
Frame Amounts
Game Frames4526238546
Video Frames4527145271
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames4063991
Lowest Torn Line676450
Frame Height21602160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.67ms19.57ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time50ms150ms
Minimum Frame Time2.96ms2.47ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.99fps51.08fps
Median Frame Rate60fps53fps
Maximum Frame Rate61fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate58fps28fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps36fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate59fps33fps
Frame Time Counts
0ms-16.67ms290 (0.64%)188 (0.49%)
16.67ms44841 (99.14%)28323 (73.49%)
16.67ms-33.33ms77 (0.17%)6358 (16.5%)
33.33ms19 (0.04%)3519 (9.13%)
33.33ms-50ms2 (0%)94 (0.24%)
50ms3 (0.01%)50 (0.13%)
50ms-66.67ms0 (0%)2 (0.01%)
66.67ms0 (0%)4 (0.01%)
66.67ms-83.33ms0 (0%)2 (0.01%)
83.33ms0 (0%)1 (0%)
150ms0 (0%)1 (0%)
There are minor frame pacing issues where a frame can tear and introduce 2 new game frames in one video frame which is why the maximum frame rate is 61fps.

Lysandros

That's a pretty huge improvement in performance altogether with resolution uplift, this can not come from only disabling RT. Some serious optimization there. I hope XSX analysis is also coming.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
My only concern is SSR, did they fix it on PC? It doesn't seem to behave the same than before in that video

ByWatterson

puppet GIF

proandrad

So it's basically locked now in performance mode(only 9 frames lost in his sample). Should have been like this from release, embarassing.
Also difference in lighting is so negligeble that it's absolutely don't worth performance penalty like this.
But RT lighting was part of the devs original intent, can someone please think about the developer’s original intent.

Pretty much any game that integrates RT into the rendering pipeline on current gen consoles takes a nose dive in terms of resolution / FPS. The only exceptions I've seen so far are the Insomnia Games. Until mid-gen refreshes come, RT isn't really viable, even in a very light implementation. Unfortunately, this is still a striking weakness of Radeon.

This generation of consoles are RT adjacent.
RDNA2 is shit at RT, too bad we're stuck with PS5 and XSeX for a decade because console gens

I'll laugh if Switch 2 with Nvidia SoC is a hybrid console that can do RT in portable mode at 15W better than PS5 and XSeX can tethered to an outlet blowing out 200W

Last edited:

Fbh

Resolution is still laughable, which means this stays in the "buy when $20" tier for me, but at least the performance seems massively improved.
RT is such a waste on consoles. I'm sure you can point out differences in screenshots, but in motion I can hardly see any difference between the pre patch with RT and post patch with not RT

Last edited:
I played this like a month ago on series X and was shocked at how shit the performance and resolution were .
I mostly play games after they get a couple of patches but my god disabling rt in performance mode after 7 patches is just fucking lazy

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Resolution is still laughable, which means this stays in the "buy when $20" tier for me, but at least the performance seems massively improved.
RT is such a waste on consoles. I'm sure you can point out differences in screenshots, but in motion I can hardly see any difference between the pre patch with RT and post patch with not RT
I think they used RT because it was faster for development. same reason why they chose to make the ssd a minimum requirement. they wanted to make this game quick and one way to do that is by not baking in lighting, reflections and shadows. let the ray tracing take care of everything. let the ssd take care of all the streaming and just focus on designing the game. the problem is ssd can only do so much and it created insane stuttering issues in some hub worlds, and RT has a huge GPU cost on these consoles powered by poor AMD RT tech.

had they switched to UE5, they wouldve probably had better results because AMD RT Lumen is optimized for consoles. at least at 30 fps.

Reactions: Fbh

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
That’s fantastic. I need to see the state of PC version now. I’m hoping a 3080 can run some kind of RT at 4k for 60 fps on decent settings without major dips/stutter. Launch was unplayable for me.

Pimpbaa

Pretty much any game that integrates RT into the rendering pipeline on current gen consoles takes a nose dive in terms of resolution / FPS. The only exceptions I've seen so far are the Insomnia Games. Until mid-gen refreshes come, RT isn't really viable, even in a very light implementation. Unfortunately, this is still a striking weakness of Radeon.

Metro Exodus has RT lighting and Doom Eternal has RT reflections, both are 60fps (and well above 1080p). The problem with this game is well Unreal Engine (same goes for the previous game).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Still in a bad shape on PC, hence I haven't bought and played it. Well, not this year, not in such a state, not at full price.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Excellent patch and update. This is how the game should have launched.

And had it launched in the current form, I'm sure it'd be in or near 90s MC.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Star Wars Jedi Survivor frame rate comparison comparing the framerate/fps on PS5 with Patch 7 vs Patch 4.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Performance Mode
12:36 - Quality Mode

Patch 7 has disabled Ray Tracing in performance mode.

Performance mode in Patch 7 has additional foliage and an improved LOD transition distance compared to performance mode in Patch 4 which can be seen at 3:57 and 0:32 respectively.

Comparing Patch 7 and Patch 4, the resolution in performance mode has been improved and the dynamic resolution upper bounds is now 1706x960 compared to 1536x864 in Patch 4. The reconstructed resolution via FSR 2 has also been increased from 2304x1296 to 2560x1440.

With Patch 7 the UI resolution has been lowered in performance mode and now renders at 2560x1440 instead of 3840x2160.

PlatformsPS5 Performance Mode Patch 7PS5 Performance Mode Patch 4
Frame Amounts
Game Frames4526238546
Video Frames4527145271
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames4063991
Lowest Torn Line676450
Frame Height21602160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.67ms19.57ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time50ms150ms
Minimum Frame Time2.96ms2.47ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.99fps51.08fps
Median Frame Rate60fps53fps
Maximum Frame Rate61fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate58fps28fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps36fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate59fps33fps
Frame Time Counts
0ms-16.67ms290 (0.64%)188 (0.49%)
16.67ms44841 (99.14%)28323 (73.49%)
16.67ms-33.33ms77 (0.17%)6358 (16.5%)
33.33ms19 (0.04%)3519 (9.13%)
33.33ms-50ms2 (0%)94 (0.24%)
50ms3 (0.01%)50 (0.13%)
50ms-66.67ms0 (0%)2 (0.01%)
66.67ms0 (0%)4 (0.01%)
66.67ms-83.33ms0 (0%)2 (0.01%)
83.33ms0 (0%)1 (0%)
150ms0 (0%)1 (0%)
There are minor frame pacing issues where a frame can tear and introduce 2 new game frames in one video frame which is why the maximum frame rate is 61fps.

Dropping the UI resolution from 4K to 1440p, yikes… it looks like they were looking for performance everywhere including under the carpet!

Edit: Quality Mode performance is worse in Patch 7 than Patch 4… wtf?

Last edited:

yamaci17

My only concern is SSR, did they fix it on PC? It doesn't seem to behave the same than before in that video
did you not watch the video

they wont be able to fix it. the assets and overall GI is never optimized or prepared for regular SSR to begin with

its abandonware. people should be happy that at least they're given options

the only thing they fixed is the glowy orange hair with no ray tracing. that was my biggest problem, i didn't care about ssr artifacts. but glowy orange hair forced me to play this game at an unstable 30 fps lock on my PC lol

I think they used RT because it was faster for development. same reason why they chose to make the ssd a minimum requirement. they wanted to make this game quick and one way to do that is by not baking in lighting, reflections and shadows. let the ray tracing take care of everything. let the ssd take care of all the streaming and just focus on designing the game. the problem is ssd can only do so much and it created insane stuttering issues in some hub worlds, and RT has a huge GPU cost on these consoles powered by poor AMD RT tech.

had they switched to UE5, they wouldve probably had better results because AMD RT Lumen is optimized for consoles. at least at 30 fps.
let's be honest this game is good and has plentiful of content, main quest is cool, side activities not bad, new mechanics are fun and overall a decent game. if ray tracing and ssd can speed up development so much, although it has a massive performance and hardware cost on us, it also has the benefit for us that we will get to play more high production games like this at smaller intervals in future. and I'm kind of okay with that. we only need more beefy hardware, especially in terms of CPU. I think a lot of cache and memory bandwidth is a must.

this caliber of game being only made in 3 years still impresses me. goes to show the graphics we take for granted that "looks good without ray tracing!! doesn't need ray tracing" needs years of development, from the looks of it. although I've always thought that ray tracing was never meant for end user actually but for them and to produce more products in a shorter time span. this still has some merits for us too. just more good games to enjoy. maybe they can focus on content as well. I really enjoyed star wars survivor tbh.

think of movies and series. how much they can produce of it. video games need that too, to become more mainstream. (i know this is not a good time to say this as there's an avalanache of games this year but you know 2024-2025 will be very barren mostly)

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Except apparently you can completely disable RT in the PC version since day 1, so that reasoning falls apart.

Kataploom

Gold Member
did you not watch the video

they wont be able to fix it. the assets and overall GI is never optimized or prepared for regular SSR to begin with

its abandonware. people should be happy that at least they're given options

the only thing they fixed is the glowy orange hair with no ray tracing. that was my biggest problem, i didn't care about ssr artifacts. but glowy orange hair forced me to play this game at an unstable 30 fps lock on my PC lol
Didn't watch the video, but that's bs... Guess I gotta play it as is then...

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This is great news for people who have yet to play the title. Performance was just awful, as others have stated this is what it should have been at launch.

This is why going on Bloomberg and telling people to just buy a new PC is bullshit when you don't fucking optimise your game.

Last edited:

Fbh

let's be honest this game is good and has plentiful of content, main quest is cool, side activities not bad, new mechanics are fun and overall a decent game. if ray tracing and ssd can speed up development so much, although it has a massive performance and hardware cost on us, it also has the benefit for us that we will get to play more high production games like this at smaller intervals in future. and I'm kind of okay with that. we only need more beefy hardware, especially in terms of CPU. I think a lot of cache and memory bandwidth is a must.

this caliber of game being only made in 3 years still impresses me. goes to show the graphics we take for granted that "looks good without ray tracing!! doesn't need ray tracing" needs years of development, from the looks of it. although I've always thought that ray tracing was never meant for end user actually but for them and to produce more products in a shorter time span. this still has some merits for us too. just more good games to enjoy. maybe they can focus on content as well. I really enjoyed star wars survivor tbh.

think of movies and series. how much they can produce of it. video games need that too, to become more mainstream. (i know this is not a good time to say this as there's an avalanache of games this year but you know 2024-2025 will be very barren mostly)

But we have it right now running with no RT looking and playing fine (in fact at higher res and almost twice the performance in some areas), 4 and a half months after release. You make it sound like adding RT saved them years worth of development time,

DaGwaphics

Finally did what they always should have from the beginning. It seemed like the XSS port should have been the basis for the performance mode all along.

Though we don't know how much CPU optimization they had to do to get it running as smooth as it is now.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Quality Mode: The new patch made the performance WORSE. Frame drops gallore. How does this even happen? Did they increase the internal resolution?

But we have it right now running with no RT looking and playing fine (in fact at higher res and almost twice the performance in some areas), 4 and a half months after release. You make it sound like adding RT saved them years worth of development time,
RT this gen is like 3D on SNES. It's possible, but you shouldn't do it. Pro consoles will be like SuperFX. Makes it more viable, but still pretty bad.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Fuck ray tracing... stop pushing this shit on console hardware .. is not worth it if you dont plan to optimize to the metal...

On another note.. thats why I dont play anything before 6 months of release... going to play cheaper and better now ... thank you beta testers for your efforts ❤️

Top Bottom