• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various PS3 games no longer let you download patches.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
and yet, knowing this, we still buy digital DLC, pay for gamepass, use xcloud and PSN now for streaming games, invest (little) in to Stadia.
Again, as others have said including myself,this is a Sony problem and not a problem with digital itself.

I can play all my game purchases since day one on steam as an example. Same with gog etc. I can still play many of my x360 games on xo, and all of them on my x360.

It's true Sony are shitty, that doesn't mean it's a standard industry. In fact, Sony is lowering the industry very hard here.

Everytime I hear how great pc is with backwards compatibility. Is it really? I have almost 1000 discs and most will never run on anything past windows 98.
Download the games on the net. They are technically legal if you own the game already.

Alternatively you can buy them on gog.

What's your next argument?

DrAspirino

Banned
Dosbox doesn't always work. The emulation is never anywhere as good as the original oses running it.

And i still can't get Scarface working on anything past windows xp or Pandora's box on anything past windows 98.
Have you tried Virtualbox? It's not an emulator, rather a virtual machine with the resources you asign to it. ;)

DrAspirino

Banned
All this news makes me happier with my approach with Sony all along: buy physical.

With my Xboxes, I have purchased the majority of my games digitally. Every now and then would buy physical through BOGO sales at Target or whatever, but I have trusted Microsoft's approach to digital from the start. Sony and Nintendo on the other hand? I have mostly purchased physical.

With Sony there are a handful of PSVR games I bought digitally, but all of the big games I have gone physical. Yes, I know if the patches are not downloadable, then the game on the physical disc is broken, but it is still better than nothing. Sony lost a lot of my trust when PSN was hacked and seeing how they made it next to impossible to change your gamertag due to the way they set up their databases. I love Sony's big blockbuster games, but everything else I have always gone on Xbox, even when the Xbox One had the lower resolution and FPS, because I trusted their approach more.

Now this does not mean MS cannot betray that trust in the future, but as of now I still think I can trust them. For those getting burned by Sony's approach on this, I feel for ya.
Physical ceased to exist as such on PS3, and on Xbox One. Physical copies of games were just a little more than a key to digital content stored half on disc and half downloaded as patches.

Nowdays, even if you buy physical, you have to download day-1 patches because developers release games in a rush, due to pressures from publishers.

What good is a physical copy if you can't play it properly without downloadable patches?

Now you're just exaggerating. And like I said, if you absolutely have to run them on an old OS, set up a VM. It's not rocket science.

Coincidentally, I played Scarface just last year using this fix: https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2020/03/29/silentpatch-scarface/

As for Pandora's Box, I was able to get it running on Windows 10 in about 5 minutes, and most of that time was spent waiting for the game to download. This patch was all it took: https://download.cnet.com/Pandora-s-Box-Patch/3000-2121_4-10187112.html
That patch for Pandora's box. Is that for the original or game of the year edition as I'm told they both work differently. I'm gonna try that patch.

The scarface one? That only proves why I left pc gaming in the mid 2000s. I wanted to get away from the configuration shitbof dos/win9x and himem shit. This jist goes in a different direction. The Pandora's box thing I'm fine with but multiple tweaks? I can't waste time like I could decades ago when all I had was time.

Miles708

Physical ceased to exist as such on PS3, and on Xbox One. Physical copies of games were just a little more than a key to digital content stored half on disc and half downloaded as patches.

Nowdays, even if you buy physical, you have to download day-1 patches because developers release games in a rush, due to pressures from publishers.

What good is a physical copy if you can't play it properly without downloadable patches?

Very true but also very incorrect.
There are still many games playable without day-1 patches, and I know because I'm one of those freaks who never downloads anything at all! :messenger_grinning_squinting:

The "trick" is to buy GOTY versions, or to check if there the patches have any meaning (Mirror's Edge Catalyst and The Last Guardian are examples of useless day-one patches) and to buy from Limited Run Games et similia for more niche games.
I currently have more than 40 physical PS4 games and, aside No Man's Sky and Dreams, I never patched any of those!

Alright

Banned
Again, as others have said including myself,this is a Sony problem and not a problem with digital itself.

I can play all my game purchases since day one on steam as an example. Same with gog etc. I can still play many of my x360 games on xo, and all of them on my x360.

It's true Sony are shitty, that doesn't mean it's a standard industry. In fact, Sony is lowering the industry very hard here.
Really? This is what we're gunna do as gamers? Just ignore the red flags because 'Sony'?

What do you think is going to happen next? Do you think Valve, Acti, Ea, Epic, Microsoft, Nintendo etc etc etc are going to keep their digital shit online? What about in five years time when streaming is the way to go and you don't even have the option to download ?

Put the fanboy/console wars/finger-pointing to one side for a minute and think for Christ's sake. Aimed at you and everyone else who has parroted the same line.

Memba when:

• It's just one company asking to pay for you to play online. Not all companies will do that
  • Horse armour wasn't a big deal. DLC won't rip people off.
  • No they haven't abandoned hardcore gamers, they're just offering casual experiences, hardcore gamers are still #1
  • Season passes are a good deal, you only buy one and you get all the DLC, they won't sell multiple season passes
  • Digital is better than physical, it's more convenient and you don't have loads of games around the house. Physical games aren't affected and won't be. You can still go buy your game physically, it's all about options
  • MTX isn't a big deal, it's just small chunks of DLC, they won't change games to push MTX
  • Streaming is better than digital, you don't have to download patches, they won't get rid of digital
  • It's just Sony being a shit company, no way will everyone else follow suit and close down their old online content
I memba

Last edited:

Pejo

Fuck, I just had a moment of clarity that I never bought the Asura's wrath DLC. I need to find my PS3 stuff, hook it up, purchase, and download it before what, June?

drotahorror

Very true but also very incorrect.
There are still many games playable without day-1 patches, and I know because I'm one of those freaks who never downloads anything at all! :messenger_grinning_squinting:

The "trick" is to buy GOTY versions, or to check if there the patches have any meaning (Mirror's Edge Catalyst and The Last Guardian are examples of useless day-one patches) and to buy from Limited Run Games et similia for more niche games.
I currently have more than 40 physical PS4 games and, aside No Man's Sky and Dreams, I never patched any of those!

Why would you purposely not patch your physical games? Lack of internet? Bandwidth caps?

drotahorror

Fuck, I just had a moment of clarity that I never bought the Asura's wrath DLC. I need to find my PS3 stuff, hook it up, purchase, and download it before what, June?

I wish they'd have a huge blowout sale but you already know they won't. I would buy tons of shit and Sony would get my money, instead I will buy nothing.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Really? This is what we're gunna do as gamers? Just ignore the red flags because 'Sony'?

What do you think is going to happen next? Do you think Valve, Acti, Ea, Epic, Microsoft, Nintendo etc etc etc are going to keep their digital shit online? What about in five years time when streaming is the way to go and you don't even have the option to download ?

Put the fanboy/console wars/finger-pointing to one side for a minute and think for Christ's sake. Aimed at you and everyone else who has parroted the same line.
The only red flag is Sony.

And yes, I am pretty certain they will keep their stores available. Would be pretty suicidal to destroy their own stores.
I know you're talking about streaming.
Netflix has been here for ages yet here we are being able to buy blu rays and even dvds. The same with music even though Spotify is here.

You don't have to be a fanboy to call Sony out for their shitty practises.
Every gun from all other companies are pointing at Sony and you are taking all the bullets to defend it.

Miles708

Why would you purposely not patch your physical games? Lack of internet? Bandwidth caps?

Some games have saves that are not compatible with previous versions. So if I uninstall the game and want to re-play it, I will also need an internet connection.
And that's what I try to avoid.

On top of that, the recent Sony activity only reinforced my decision.

The scarface one? That only proves why I left pc gaming in the mid 2000s. I wanted to get away from the configuration shitbof dos/win9x and himem shit. This jist goes in a different direction. The Pandora's box thing I'm fine with but multiple tweaks? I can't waste time like I could decades ago when all I had was time.
I think you're confusing that guys explanation of the fix for the steps you need to take. He already did the work for you. All you have to do is click the link at the bottom of that post, download the patch and install it.

I have a feeling that Sony completely rebuilt PSN for the PS4 (I think they also hinted as such around launch in their financials), and are desperate to ditch everything else. There is probably no feasible, or at least cost effective, way for PS3 to interface with the new PSN structure.
There is a weird thing when my friend is on his PS5 and I am playing my PS3 it says I am offline on the OS. However, when he boots up Apex Legends he can see that I am playing a PS3 game and it even tells him what game I am playing.

Miles708

And yes, I am pretty certain they will keep their stores available. Would be pretty suicidal to destroy their own stores.
Netflix has been here for ages yet here we are being able to buy blu rays and even dvds. The same with music even though Spotify is here.

Every gun from all other companies are pointing at Sony and you are taking all the bullets to defend it.

Sony here is dumb and shitty, but the point in avoiding digital is also to avoid legal drama that ensues whenever licenses expire, someone doens't pay, publishers go rogue, etc.
You will probably never be able to buy Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast ever again, because of the Ferrari license (same thing for Afterburner Climax).

Keeping things online is a costly affair that needs constant attention form the publisher's side. That's not a "set it and forget it" affair in the slightest.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned

The red flag is the industry. Sony is in it, and if they save money by doing so, regardless of backlash, other companies will jump on it.

Heard it all before, pal tbh and games are not books or movies. This conversation was done to death at the launch of the Xbone when Microsoft dabbled in digital licenses for physical games so that you can't trade them in. Memba that? Memba no trade ins?

You're correct, calling out a company for their shitty practices is a good thing. Running cover for every other peeping motherfucker who is about to do the same thing, is not a good thing.

🤷‍♂️ Is this your first gen?

Book mark this post so that i can be a dick and celebrate in a few months. Cause here's what's going to happen next:

Sony will justify what they did, offer a small token to make people stop talking about it. When that works and the dust settles, another company will do the same as Sony and then the rest will follow suit. Sure, the other companies may not shut down an entire store straight-away, but they will remove a few niche games here and there and then the frog will be boiled slowly.

Do you believe that Activision and EA would keep previous iterations of there games playable online, if they could shut them down after 18 months to force you to buy this years title?

Mmnow

The red flag is the industry. Sony is in it, and if they save money by doing so, regardless of backlash, other companies will jump on it.

Heard it all before, pal tbh and games are not books or movies. This conversation was done to death at the launch of the Xbone when Microsoft dabbled in digital licenses for physical games so that you can't trade them in. Memba that? Memba no trade ins?

You're correct, calling out a company for their shitty practices is a good thing. Running cover for every other peeping motherfucker who is about to do the same thing, is not a good thing.

🤷‍♂️ Is this your first gen?

Book mark this post so that i can be a dick and celebrate in a few months. Cause here's what's going to happen next:

Sony will justify what they did, offer a small token to make people stop talking about it. When that works and the dust settles, another company will do the same as Sony and then the rest will follow suit. Sure, the other companies may not shut down an entire store straight-away, but they will remove a few niche games here and there and then the frog will be boiled slowly.

Do you believe that Activision and EA would keep previous iterations of there games playable online, if they could shut them down after 18 months to force you to buy this years title?
It's not a bad thing that Sony are shutting down their stores. I mean, it's not great either, but it is what it is. There's a shelf life on this stuff when there's no BC.

It's a bad thing that they gave such little notice. It's a bad thing that games were being delisted early and patches weren't working. It's a bad thing that you've gotta keep hold of old hardware to even run these games.

But these are all legacy issues showing how poorly thought out early digital trading was. You know what else sucks? The BBC deleting all their old archives cause film is expensive. This happens time and time again in every creative industry, and eventually standard practice is developed and the issue goes away.

These are specifically Sony issues, but they're Sony issues of 15 years ago. It makes no sense to delist old games that are still playable.
I have a feeling that Sony completely rebuilt PSN for the PS4 (I think they also hinted as such around launch in their financials), and are desperate to ditch everything else. There is probably no feasible, or at least cost effective, way for PS3 to interface with the new PSN structure.
You're completely right - I seem to remember a big deal being made of it at the time. The hack was ridiculous and scared the hell out of them and they wanted to get away from it as soon as possible.

I feel like there is almost definitely a way out but it's not cost-effective or safe, so they won't bother. I don't really blame them for that, as disappointing as it is.

Ultimately it comes down to those who want to play those era of games buying them on Xbox, playing them through PlayStation Now or - and this is the best option - getting those available on PC. It's just a shame there are some locked in PS3 prison that long term are going to disappear if something isn't done.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
You do know you compare sonys shitty digital structure up against rest of the industry?
So the phrase abandonware was invented this month when Sony started shutting down their old stores?

Oh wait, no it wasn't. Just because Microsoft has enough money that they haven't noticed old software on a server taking up space and costing money doesn't mean a bean counter isn't going to find it eventually. Tell me, can you boot up a Wii and buy games online? How about a Wii U? 3DS? There's plenty of software for PC that can only be downloaded illegally. And it seems to me there are a couple threads floating around right now about Steam nuking games from their library.

Publishers taking away the option to physically purchase games is bad for consumers. Period. The end. This is one example of why that is, but it isn't the first, it isn't the last, and it isn't the only one so far.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I don't know many sites that would jeopardize their access to PS5 review copies just to call Sony out for killing off PS3 games.
Probably true, just watched a video by gamingbolt on YouTube on it and it brought up some interesting info but seemed kinda tilting one very particular way.

I've never seen anything from them before.

sVU6oAx.jpg

can't wait to play day 1 GT5
Who would even want to play GT5 at all? The last good game in the series was GT4 and the only two really worth playing these days are GT2 and GT4. 1 and 3 are good but surpassed by both of their immediate successors and 5 and 6 suck ass.

93xfan

Banned
The people asking for a digital only future aren't victims. This is what they're asking for.

This affects physical purchasers as well. The best we can hope for is that Sony loses enough loyal fans from this sort of stuff to make other companies think twice about ever being this terrible with our purchases.

Daymos

lol can you really expect something you bought in the mid 2000s to still work? I mean, I don't disagree and I want my games to work forever too.. but I paid $20,000 for a new car in 2007 and a couple years ago I donated it and got nothing. So the idea of throwing away my $300 ps3 and maybe $1,500 worth of games, it's not as bad as it seems.

However.. I'm passionate about this stuff too and I"m going to see if I can patch GT5 tonight. But I have to admit, video games are ridiculously important in my life. How did I get this way!?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
This affects physical purchasers as well. The best we can hope for is that Sony loses enough loyal fans from this sort of stuff to make other companies think twice about ever being this terrible with our purchases.
Physical games used to get updates as well. I have PC, PSX, N64, PS2 and PS3 games that the version on the disc is not 1.0. Online only patches are bad for consumers.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That patch for Pandora's box. Is that for the original or game of the year edition as I'm told they both work differently. I'm gonna try that patch.

So is it easier and better to play Scarface on PS5,XSX/X, Switch?

Hey, come on guys, this is the online, digital download only future everyone has been raving about! This is what's best for gamers, best for developers, best for retailers, and best for video gaming! Why are you guys trying to stop progress? Why are you trying to delay the future? Digital only is the BEST way for games to be published!

well, for Xbox it’s true. You can just download your old games and might even get 4K resolution or 60 FPS. Savegames also downloading automatically. No issues there.

GHG

People have to be taking the piss when they are trying to bring PC gaming (or digital in general) in to this. We've gone past the stage of this being a digital only problem, all those disks you might have for any game since the PS3 onwards are incomplete (and in some cases useless) without patches.

The irony is that emulation for PS3 games will be better than playing natively on the console since if you know where to look the patches are available online as well.

Anyone defending Sony in any way for this is a fucking idiot. This is beyond unacceptable.

lol can you really expect something you bought in the mid 2000s to still work? I mean, I don't disagree and I want my games to work forever too.. but I paid $20,000 for a new car in 2007 and a couple years ago I donated it and got nothing. So the idea of throwing away my $300 ps3 and maybe $1,500 worth of games, it's not as bad as it seems.

However.. I'm passionate about this stuff too and I"m going to see if I can patch GT5 tonight. But I have to admit, video games are ridiculously important in my life. How did I get this way!?
My NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, GBC and Nintendo DS still work flawlessly. I still have access to every single Steam game I've ever bought (350+). My entire physical library of games from the 90's still work. I can even pick up an Xbox Series X right now and play the vast majority of my library on MS's newest console. So yes, as a long-term paying customer, I do expect a $499 machine, along the with the many games I purchases for it, to still work. There's nothing wrong with the machine or the discs, it's Sony purposefully erasing over a decade of games just to push people towards their newest hardware.

Just because you're willing to spread your cheeks and take it, doesn't mean the rest of us are.

MiguelItUp

Dude, what is going on? Sony has such dedicated fans, and understandably so. I feel like the ones that have been around for a long time are just kind of getting shafted left and right lately, lol. Surely keeping those patches available wouldn't be THAT big of a deal.

Mabdia

People have to be taking the piss when they are trying to bring PC gaming (or digital in general) in to this. We've gone past the stage of this being a digital only problem, all those disks you might have for any game since the PS3 onwards are incomplete (and in some cases useless) without patches.

The irony is that emulation for PS3 games will be better than playing natively on the console since if you know where to look the patches are available online as well.

Anyone defending Sony in any way for this is a fucking idiot. This is beyond unacceptable.

Not that much of a problem in how to get the patches. If you jailbreak a PS3 you can get the patches from the same place.

I have downloaded the patches for GT5. Later I'll plug a usb device on my PS3, jailbreak it and install the patches for my games.

And I totally agree. Anyone who is defending this is beyond idiot.

DrAspirino

Banned
lol can you really expect something you bought in the mid 2000s to still work?
I still have a working Net-MD player that I sometimes use. I still have a pair of Altec Lansing ATP-8 speakers that I actively use with my PC. I expect devices and machines that are expensive to be WELL BUILT, and if they're repairable, the better.

GHG

Not that much of a problem in how to get the patches. If you jailbreak a PS3 you can get the patches from the same place.

I have downloaded the patches for GT5. Later I'll plug a usb device on my PS3, jailbreak it and install the patches for my games.

And I totally agree. Anyone who is defending this is beyond idiot.

I'll most likely be jailbreaking my PS3. Thought about purchasing all the games I want off PSN before the store disappears but fuck that noise. I'll just take a new direction.

Captain Phillips GIF

Mabdia

I'll most likely be jailbreaking my PS3. Thought about purchasing all the games I want off PSN before the store disappears but fuck that noise. I'll just take a new direction.

Captain Phillips GIF

Can't blame you or anyone who gonna do that. Sony is showing the middle finger to us. No one can blame the ones who do the same to them.

RPSleon

Sony have to pull something impressive out the bag, because as an owner of every sony console i feel like i need to make the switch. They just seem to be lacking self reflection abilities.

Drew1440

Are the digital copies not the full, patched versions anyway? They’re better off just doing one final update that translates discs into digital, claiming back some good will, and calling it a day.
Not always the case on PS3, i bought a digital game on the PS3 store a while ago and it had to download a bunch of updates for it separately. Even works was that it didn't download them until I launched the game, so it took an extra hour before I could play

Meanwhile Steam still carries games from that era without any problems.

And some of you wonder why PC gamers are smug.
Most games work, but some of the older XP era titles are starting to break on modern Windows 10 systems, just last week I had issues running Fallout 3 and had to download a third party patch. I'd imagine this will be a problem as Microsoft looks to streamline future Windows 10 releases by removing legacy components.

Sony just keeps dropping those bombs. I think they've made more bone headed decisions in the last few months than during the entire ps4 generation. Hell, PS3 Sony was more competent than this.

Banned
Found these on Youtube when the news first broke:

Compatible with EVERY PS3 system:

☝️ ☝️ ☝️ ☝️ ☝️
This sadly still requires the CMOS battery and a one time online check

and if you have a FAT or early Slim there's is an even better solution:

☝️ ☝️ ☝️ ☝️ ☝️
DO THIS! MAKE YOUR PS3 INDEPENDENT FROM FUCKING SONY! This does not need any certification anymore

Last edited:
This is ridiculous. Added to that the fact that you have to wait to activate background downloads on PS3 which seems to be all I've done when I've turned the machine on the last week.

Meanwhile, I just put my original Splinter Cell disk from 2002 into my series X and not only did it work, it downloaded a 4k version of the game.

Anyone investing in Sony's digital environment at the moment is an absolute fool.
There are currently +110 million fools and counting and you're one of them.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Aren't psn version updated ?
Not sure if that worked that way in ps3 era - but currently you download up to date versions

I'm not sure what's your point - no one sane uses winrar anymore
What are we supposed to use? I've been using winrar forever with no issues.

Chiggs

This is incredibly disappointing news. I have a massive PS3 collection and not being able to get the latest patches for games that I will definitely want to play in the future is a bummer. Hell, I even have a spare PS3 new in box because my PS3 backlog is so large it might outlast my current PS3.

I hope Sony finds a way to make these patches available.

Top Bottom