• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various PS3 games no longer let you download patches.

AGRacing

Blade Runner Film GIF

David B

An Idiot
Even more is I added 4 avatars to my buy list on PS3 PSN store. Entered my credit card. Error. WTF? So I can't download crap. So at least I never got charged.

Shit like this is why I love the homebrew community. On my Wii U I literally have an emulator to run 6000 NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, and N64 games, while also using Wii U's backwards compatibility to play all my Gamecube and Wii games with all patches pre applied straight from a single usb stick.

As shitty as this is, it's gonna push a lot of people towards the homebrew/hacking community and potentially even lose a good number of money from people that get those occasional nostalgia pangs. It's digital, it cost money to run servers sure, but when you are taking in billions of profit yearly, it can't cost that much in the grand scheme of things. Also, you are pissing off your own loyal customers that have been giving Sony even bigger profit margins by buying digital to begin with.

Moves like this encourage piracy and they don't seem to understand that. It's a sad state of affairs when you have to pirate the games you've bought for such an arbitrary reason. Steam's been a digital storefront much longer than pretty much anyone else in the business and I can still download EVERY SINGLE thing I've bought from them, while Steam still services a much much MUCH larger audience at the same time, with no fees to even use the service.

It's a bad bad look Sony. They refuse to even do the bare minimum and let people patch their physical games. It's pathetic.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Just checked Dead Nation (EU,Digital) and it downloads the patch just fine. I suspect most if not all of those "PS3 game's no longer let you download patches" claims are bullshit.
Yep ita just people making it up for fun while they wait for next PS5 game to drop. 🤡

It's fucking ridiculous, at this point I think Jim Ryan could come to your house and kick you in the balls until they both popped like grapes.....

And somehow you would say Phil and his Gang of fsnboys did it.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The people asking for a digital only future aren't victims. This is what they're asking for.
The thing about physical games needs an update to play as well apparently went over your head in your excitement of dissing digital.

But I guess bricked physical games are what they're asking for.

PS players didn't ask for this. They asked for similar service as steam, Xbox - hell any platform that isn't Japanese.

I hope Jimbo pays good money for your defending posts, cus I can't imagine any sane person to have joy over something like this on the expense of other people

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Yep ita just people making it up for fun while they wait for next PS5 game to drop. 🤡

It's fucking ridiculous, at this point I think Jim Ryan could come to your house and kick you in the balls until they both popped like grapes.....

I'm sorry that my post about something that is a fact has annoyed you so much to the point that it interrupted you from kissing your Uncle Phil's ass but hey please don't mind me and keep on kissing his ass! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

sol_bad

This is ridiculous. Added to that the fact that you have to wait to activate background downloads on PS3 which seems to be all I've done when I've turned the machine on the last week.

Meanwhile, I just put my original Splinter Cell disk from 2002 into my series X and not only did it work, it downloaded a 4k version of the game.

Anyone investing in Sony's digital environment at the moment is an absolute fool.

Yeah, I feel this urgency to buy a bunch of games from the PSN store so I own them. But I don't think Sony should be rewarded for this bullshit.

It's very conflicting because I'm worried these games won't be available to purchase ever again. I know there is emulation, I have all systems emulated up to the N64, PS1 and Saturn not included as I need more storage. And eventually I will have emulated games for PS2 and PS3 and their generations. But I like to support the official product where I can as well.

Majority of the PS2 games on PS3 can't be played anywhere else and have ridiculous prices for the physical copies. Some of those expensive games I have the PAL version of but not the better NTSC version.

GRRRRRR

Daymos

I just wanted to report that Gran Turismo 5 wasn't installed on my ps3 in any way. Last night I put in the disc while connected to the internet and it immediately started updating to version 2.1 (or something like that). This morning it's still downloading 27 patches.

Basically I'm saying that patches for GT5 still work...

Last edited:

Erec

Neo Member
Let' just hope one day the gaming industry takes inspiration from the film industry. The reason Netflix got so popular despite piracy is the convenience it offers. Steam got the hint. The way things are now with console gaming pirates can claim better ownership over their games than the buying sheeple to which I count myself. I jumped ship to Sony after Microsoft jumped the shark with their always-online BS. Sony needs strong competition to reign in their arrogance...

Naked Lunch

I'll always remember that clown for authoring probably the worst fanboy thread ever created on GAF:

Hey sublimit - how about trying to dl the patches for Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds disc version, Gran Turismo 5 and 6 and tell me how that goes?

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I just wanted to report that Gran Turismo 5 wasn't installed on my ps3 in any way. Last night I put in the disc while connected to the internet and it immediately started updating to version 2.1 (or something like that). This morning it's still downloading 27 patches.

Basically I'm saying that patches for GT5 still work...
Lol how dare you say something like this?!! You are obviously lying and you're a Sony fanboy who defends Jim Ryan!!! I'm going to tell Kagey K Kagey K and his friends like Naked Lunch Naked Lunch to hunt you down!!:messenger_pouting:

I tested it too (EU,Physical) and it also downloads the latest patch just fine,just like Dead Nation which are two of the games mentioned in the OP's link. There's obviously something fishy going on here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom