• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces a new portable, Steam Deck

CamHostage

I'm already in love with this thing considering the amount of games I have on Steam and would love to play portable if I could. I hope it is comfortable though, it does not look it.

The dual-trackpad design is really curious (sounds like they want to have it for hotkeys/gestures so that they make up for keyboard input where needed,) but as far as the offset controls up top, it might be a good idea for balance. Most portables put the controls near the middle or bottom, giving little base of leverage to actually hold the thing. (Switch and Vita have staggered controls, but arranged vertical and with little space beyond the buttons/sticks.) Steam Deck puts the controls all up top (unless you use the trackpads,) and has the rest of the device's handle act as a support base for your palms. More support and a more vertical thumb control should make for less playtime fatigue.

steam-deck-ign-image-6-1626289091890.jpg

I used to have the old Wikipad game system, and while it had lots and lots of things wrong with it, I remember the handles being mostly comfortable, especially with the oversized design (it was a 7" tablet that slid into a controller case, the thing was gargantuan.)

Last edited:

McCheese

Same price as a switch OLED for something that can do ray-tracing and play modern AAA games, pre-orders open tomorrow morning; going to nab one for sure even if I just use it with the dock as a neat portable PC.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is not a handheld, it's a transportable gaming system. That thing is huge.
I'm currently lugging around a 17 inch laptop to play PC games in my car. This thing seems pretty tiny in comparison.

onunnuno

Neo Member
For the price, it's much better than what I expected. A bit too big, but for what you get, it's insane. A full-fledged PC on the same form-factor as a Switch!?

Saber

Gold Member
After watching that ign video, this is the Nintendo switch pro AND more. For $400 it's an amazing pc/handheld

I watched but I didn't put that much faith on it. He said he played a couple of games, but it would be better if he showed all of them on portable so you could see how it fairs. Also it didn't look that good playing using the analog(visually unconfortable), at least thats the impression I get from the video.
Since this is all not final I hope they make those things better at least in terms of control. The idea itself is great imo and having backbuttons does really make it interesting.

Last edited:
The backbreaker for me is the inclusion of the touchpads. They add too much heft to the device where it could have been slimmed down if they were removed.

Otherwise I like the ergonomics, premise, and price point, albeit I'm certain I'd wipe steamOS and install something else.

Raphael

Will wait for reviews but this actually would be interesting for me. Would prefer this over a switch for when i travel if it will actually Turn out comfortable.

reksveks

The 400 model is a bit shit, emmc storage but the mid one is a bit better. I think the key thing will be that battery life. 2-8hrs feels a bit ambitious.

Also interested to see if it suspends okay.

Also you can install Windows on it apparently.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Valve saw there was no Switch Pro so they cooked this one fast 😳

This rather shits all over the Switch.

I was tempted to buy the OLED Switch, but will get this big bitch instead now.

You can install windows and play switch games using yuzu emulator plus steam games and every other emulator. I'll buy the shit out of this gamegear

Exactamundo.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Its 1.6TF of RDNA2, the screen is just 1280 x 800, yes this should run them.

Yeah, while we’re still talking about games made for Jaguar CPU and 2013 GPUs….

This thing is releasing in December, as soon as games start targeting the CPUs on these consoles, the show is over.

Still, it’s a good idea and the library will be immense.

CamHostage

Can’t see anything about a dock? Would be brilliant if it’s dockable and you can connect a kb/mouse.

There's a Dock.

"The official dock props up your Steam Deck while connecting to external displays, wired networking, USB peripherals, and power. You can also use a powered USB-C hub, if you've got one lying around."
You can also install and use PC software, of course. Browse the web, watch streaming video, do your normal productivity stuff, install some other game stores, whatever.

O3Hf4EO.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It runs Steam OS so the library of games available are already severely limited unless you install Windows. Obviously Valve didn't want to purchase Windows licenses for this to keep the price down.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Yeah, while we’re still talking about games made for Jaguar CPU and 2013 GPUs….

This thing is releasing in December, as soon as games start targeting the CPUs on these consoles, the show is over.

Still, it’s a good idea and the library will be immense.
Hard to tell now, but i really believe that 4/8 Zen 2 CPU is going to be good enough to put minimum 30FPS in games.

CloudNull

Banned
The 400 model is a bit shit, emmc storage but the mid one is a bit better. I think the key thing will be that battery life. 2-8hrs feels a bit ambitious.

Also interested to see if it suspends okay.

Also you can install Windows on it apparently.
Yeah I am preordering the mid tier range. Kind of bummed the official dock is not included but oh well.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm going for the $529 model for the NVMe and case. Man I hope these things don't sale out right away. Not sure how I feel about that little $5 reserve cost. I am ready to pay for it all now

nDqAP13.png

It runs Steam OS so the library of games available are already severely limited unless you install Windows. Obviously Valve didn't want to purchase Windows licenses for this to keep the price down.
I think Proton is in a good enough state where not having access to Windows is at best a mild inconvenience. You only lose out on competitive titles with anti-cheat for the most part, which aren't the kind of games you'd want to play on this anyway.

CamHostage

You can use Windows.

You can also install and use PC software, of course. Browse the web, watch streaming video, do your normal productivity stuff, install some other game stores, whatever.

reksveks

This is 700g, the Switch is 400g for comparison.

Also the 8hours is for light game streaming and browser usage so it seems a bit of a worry for me.

Probably going to end up buying one sadly

Topher

Gold Member
I think Proton is in a good enough state where not having access to Windows is at best a mild inconvenience. You only lose out on competitive titles with anti-cheat for the most part, which aren't the kind of games you'd want to play on this anyway.

Proton? What is that?

Top Bottom