• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve Hints At Its Wireless VR Headset Plans In Steam Deck OLED Interview

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview this week with Norm from Tested, Valve hardware engineer Yazan Aldehayyat and product designer Lawrence Yang hinted at the form that headset might take, and a potential key feature.

When asked by Norm about how learnings from Steam Deck might be applied to hardware suited for VR, Yang replied:

"A lot of it. Working with an APU, with miniaturization of computers - we don't have anything to announce today in terms of VR other than that we are still working on VR and we're still pushing forward on it.

But just like Steam Deck is a result of learning a bunch of stuff from [Steam] Controller and [Steam] Link and VR, future products will continue to learn from everything we've done with Steam Deck as well."
Aldehayyat then gave his take:

"Obviously there is a lot of overlap, technology pieces that we can reuse. Wireless streaming for example is very applicable to VR. That benefited Steam Deck as well, improving the wireless streaming experience.

But also just establishing relationships with parts suppliers and other hardware partners. The Steam Deck team and the VR team, we work together, so there's a lot of innoculation of ideas and parts and technologies."

Picking up on that idea of "inoculation of ideas and parts and technologies", Norm asked whether it was fair to say Valve is "all-in on OLED", a question which seems geared to reveal a hint that Valve's next headset will use it rather than LCD. Aldehayyat wouldn't take the bait though, replying "for Steam Deck for sure, yes".

Aldehayyat's comments about wireless streaming strongly suggest Valve's next headset will support wireless PC VR. This could involve using your existing home Wi-Fi network like Virtual Desktop and Air Link on Quest, or it could involve a dedicated hardware adapter to avoid congestion and signal degradation. Valve will almost certainly support regular gaming PCs, but some evidence suggests it might be exploring making a consolized PC to streamline SteamVR for less technically inclined buyers. Alternatively, an eventual Steam Deck 2 might be powerful enough for PC VR streaming itself.

While PC VR would likely be Valve's primary focus, Yang's comments about "working with an APU" and "miniaturization of computers" suggest the headset will have some sort of standalone capability. A wireless headset for purely PC use wouldn't require a full APU, and Valve president Gabe Newell has previously mentioned the company exploring "tetherless integrated VR" and a "transportable" headset. Newell also said "we’re not really there yet" though.

Crayon

This thing is going to be sick. I don't know if I can do a $1000 pricetag, though. Hopefully it's cheaper but I'm not holding my breath.

Reallink

It's certainly quite a ways off (late 2024 at earliest). If they were targeting any time soon (even first half of the year), they wouldn't have allowed Quest 3 to launch uncontested. They will lose 95% of their prospective early and mid adopters to Quest 3 and Bigscreen by the end of the Holidays, as Index is old as shit at this point (5 years old).

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

It's certainly quite a ways off (late 2024 at earliest). If they were targeting any time soon (even first half of the year), they wouldn't have allowed Quest 3 to launch uncontested. They will lose 95% of their prospective early and mid adopters to Quest 3 and Bigscreen by the end of the Holidays, as Index is old as shit at this point (5 years old).

They're likely waiting on reasonable prices and enough production units for micro-OLED anyway. Even Apple had to reduce planned number of units because these displays are in limited supply. They're also expensive so likely late 2024 or even 2025 before prices make sense.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I mean wireless VR is already the standard for years. No reason to use a wired VR in 2023.

This new VR headset will likely be able to stream wirelessly from a dedicated PC.

Buggy Loop

I mean wireless VR is already the standard for years. No reason to use a wired VR in 2023.

Oh no, they're coming

jurassic park water GIF

mrcroket

This new VR headset will likely be able to stream wirelessly from a dedicated PC.
No, wireless is only worthwhile in standalone, for use with PCVR it is inferior to displayport. It is the cheap alternative, not the new standard.

Resenge

No, wireless is only worthwhile in standalone, for use with PCVR it is inferior to displayport. It is the cheap alternative, not the new standard.
WIreless over Wired for me everytime.

I agree that Wireless does not look as good but it's not a huge gap but the freedom of not having a wire is a huge thing for me personally.

Last edited:
Probly the headset that will replace my Quest 3.
Unless Quest 4 comes out first.
Ready set Go.

This could involve using your existing home Wi-Fi network like Virtual Desktop and Air Link on Quest, or it could involve a dedicated hardware adapter to avoid congestion
Congestion is the main reason I use Wired with my PCVR. Someone in the house is always using the wifi.

Last edited:

mrcroket

WIreless over Wired for me everytime.

I agree that Wireless does not look as good but it's not a huge gap but the freedom of not having a wire is a huge thing for me personally.
It's fine to prefer wireless, I prefer image quality, zero latency and no dependence on battery and wifi. The point is that it's not "the new standard" but a solution for devices without displayport, in fact all high end PCVR devices (like bigscreen) work through displayport.

eats

How could this ever work without having micro latencies that would make people have motion sickness.

Resenge

It's fine to prefer wireless, I prefer image quality, zero latency and no dependence on battery and wifi. The point is that it's not "the new standard" but a solution for devices without displayport, in fact all high end PCVR devices (like bigscreen) work through displayport.
I did not say it was the new standard, you are mistaking me for someone else. It was just an off the cuff comment, nothing more.

Top Bottom