• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2016 [OT] Bodies ache, but New York will not wait. [Tennis]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
That match really left a bad taste in my mouth

reminded me of a Murray classic comeback

^^Murray hate

Kerber only on Eurosport 2 which is a Pay TV channel. Up to the QF at least.
While that channel is part of my Pay TV subscription, this is a seriously bad idea for Tennis in Germany.
Kerber matches should be on Eurosport 1 which is free.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Harrison up a break in the fourth now too. Raonic was complaining of wrist pain earlier.

Alert the presses, Wozniacki beat a decent player in 2016! And from 0-4 down too, bizarre stuff.

Raonic is tapping in 80mph serves and can hardly move. He's moving as slowly as some of the guys who play the over 50s Legends. Utterly spent in the heat.

Maybe he should do what Jo Konta did, and keel over. She was left on her back for 5+ minutes, half conscious, before the doctor got out to see to her. By the time the medical assessment, time out, and end of set bathroom break had all gone, nearly 25 minutes had passed since the last point. Pironkova, her opponent, completely lost her concentration and played a shocker in the final set.

Niraj

That's that. Raonic obviously wasn't at his best, but nice win for Harrison. I think that's the furthest he's made it in a slam in his career.

Ricker

Alert the presses, Wozniacki beat a decent player in 2016! And from 0-4 down too, bizarre stuff.

Raonic is tapping in 80mph serves and can hardly move. He's moving as slowly as some of the guys who play the over 50s Legends. Utterly spent in the heat.

Maybe he should do what Jo Konta did, and keel over. She was left on her back for 5+ minutes, half conscious, before the doctor got out to see to her. By the time the medical assessment, time out, and end of set bathroom break had all gone, nearly 25 minutes had passed since the last point. Pironkova, her opponent, completely lost her concentration and played a shocker in the final set.

The same thing happened with Cibulkova,she pulled a hamstring and couldnt even head to the bench,Rodina had won the first set...after being worked on and bandaged,she won the 2 last sets...

And yeah,when Raonic hits a first serve at 78 mph,something is wrong with him...oh well and Pospisil lost also,poor guy cant play in humidity lol.

Raonic looked perfectly fine until that 4th set. I think it was a slight wrist injury that just kept getting worse until it really started hurting his game. But in those first 2 sets he didn't show any signs of illness.

MIMIC

Banned
Raonic lost? Wow. Did not expect that. I didn't see the entire match, but I did see that one game where there were a zillion deuces.....where he made a bunch of UEs. That kinda shows me that Harrison wasn't necessarily playing out of his skin, but that Raonic is still a little wonky and unreliable at slam.

Granted, he did make his very first final so the expectations are pretty high. But going out so early is still a little troubling. It's time for him to start living up to his ranking (or else he's going to be where he "belongs", roaming around in the top 20)

MIMIC

Banned
So you don't even care to see him play, you just want him to win ? Mimic, I'm beginning to detect blind fanboyism there ! :D

Novak rarely gets lucky in slams. I'll take what I can get (especially at this point in his career, and especially since his health/mind is questionable)

Diamond

Novak rarely gets lucky in slams. I'll take what I can get (especially at this point in his career, and especially since his health/mind is questionable)

Don't worry, just messing with you. It was a rematch that could have been fun to see (considering Vesely defeated Novak earlier this year).

What a match from Harrison! Wasn't expecting that from him. Even if Milos wasn't at 100% it's a big win.

MIMIC

Banned
Wow. Keys looks really, really good.

Don't worry, just messing with you. It was a rematch that could have been fun to see (considering Vesely defeated Novak earlier this year).

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

I'd rather it be fun elsewhere....like it Beijing or something :)

What a match from Harrison! Wasn't expecting that from him. Even if Milos wasn't at 100% it's a big win.

Before today, Harrison had never made it past the 2nd round of a slam, which doesn't sound too surprising but people do forget he was well inside the top 50 about 4 years ago but would always get the worst luck in the slam draws and would usually play someone in the big 4 in the first or second rounds. So it's good to see him finally get over that 2nd round hump at this, his 20th grand slam singles tournament.

In other news, Cici Bellis is into the 3rd round. This is only her second grand slam tournament and she has never lost in the first round of a slam. Not even Serena can say that. Next up for her in the 3rd round is Kerber so.....hopefully that will be a good learning experience for her.

Niraj

What is wrong with her?

She can barely string together consecutive wins.

I have no idea. She was up 5-4 and serving for the first set though before losing 7 consecutive games.

I was surprised the US Open gave her a headline primetime match but then I remembered she won the French Open. She's hasn't been handling the spotlight too will since winning the French

Yeah, I mean, she's the third seed. I feel like most people have already forgotten she won the French because of what you mentioned.

MIMIC

Banned
Before today, Harrison had never made it past the 2nd round of a slam, which doesn't sound too surprising but people do forget he was well inside the top 50 about 4 years ago but would always get the worst luck in the slam draws and would usually play someone in the big 4 in the first or second rounds. So it's good to see him finally get over that 2nd round hump at this, his 20th grand slam singles tournament.

Yeah, his luck in slams was pretty cruel.

And in other news, MUGuruza is about to get knocked out early again.

Niraj

Got pretty tight there. Wonder if it would be easier for her to break to win at this point.

Diamond

Yeah, his luck in slams was pretty cruel.

Just looked it up, it's true he faced a lot of top players in slams when he was on the rise.

Not trying to diminish the luck factor but that's also why you need, as a young player who is finding his rythm, progressively get better by facing better opposition and rank up, to play a lot of 250s, 500s and try to grab a few wins in 1000s. The more you win, the easier your slam draws will be. That's what Dominic Thiem, for instance, did very well these past months.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
never heard of this khachanov fellow, but he's playing pretty well against nishikori for the first two sets. i see he's only 20 and just made it into the top 100 for the first time. might do some damage later on.

sam777

If Broady can become more consistent and not suffer many lapses of concentration in matches, she can easily become a top 20 or even a top 10 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom