• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2016 [OT] Bodies ache, but New York will not wait. [Tennis]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
At this rate, Djokovic is going to make slam quarter-finals by beating Janowicz and Edmund with the former a total wash-up and the latter cramping to the point of no movement.

I mean, I've heard of draw generators, but this is ridiculous.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
At this rate, Djokovic is going to make slam quarter-finals by beating Janowicz and Edmund with the former a total wash-up and the latter cramping to the point of no movement.

I mean, I've heard of draw generators, but this is ridiculous.

I heard he rarely gets lucky at slams though, just let him have this one.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
djokovic gets to play either isner or kyle fucking edmund in round 4. oh sweet merciful fluffy ball christ, tennis is well and truly dead.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I heard he rarely gets lucky at slams though, just let him have this one.

True, Djokovic has never had anything like Federer's 2003 Wimbledon (two seeded players the whole tournament, with one being the *wildly* overranked no.8 Schalken). But this has to be competitive for easiest first week, at least.

Osaka is just 18 though. It is so hard for a teenage girl to reel in her emotions during a collapse like that. Makes it more impressive to see a teen go far into a slam these days.

I know.. When she started crying.. I couldn't help it and I was tearing up with her. Like she was defeated... On a good note her serve is killer and she's going to make it far, but that lost is something I hope she has on her mind the next time she plays. Poor girl..

Wow. Isner losing to Edmund.

Isner has looked a little iffy.

I don't like him for some reason so.. Good. Bye!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Good start from Rafa. Definitely the best he has played all the tournament so far.

Nadal has really been sneaking under the radar this tournament; I think he's actually in fine form and I definitely fancy his chances against Djokovic.

Edmund's backhand is completely transformed. I mean, it's not hitting winners or anything but it has been absolutely and completely dependable when it used to be the key to beating to him. He's due for a serious rise up the rankings if he can keep it up, should be eyeing trying to get a seed for next Wimbledon.

Watching Edmund play and I think his backhand is his best shot! He's a game away from beating Isner now. I think Djokovic would rather play Edmund as opposed to Isner because of servebot unpredictability but Djokovic v Edmund should yield some fun points

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Watching Edmund play and I think his backhand is his best shot! He's a game away from beating Isner now. I think Djokovic would rather play Edmund as opposed to Isner because of servebot unpredictability but Djokovic v Edmund should yield some fun points

When did you switch in? It's been getting steadily better as the match has progressed. I've never seen Edmund hit passing shots before like in this 4th set, some have been beautiful. Normally Edmund is all forehand and serve, used to run around to the forehand every shot he could, but he's clearly progressed enormously.

When did you switch in? It's been getting steadily better as the match has progressed. I've never seen Edmund hit passing shots before like in this 4th set, some have been beautiful. Normally Edmund is all forehand and serve, used to run around to the forehand every shot he could, but he's clearly progressed enormously.

I've been watching on and off but I saw him hit an amazing down the line passing shot with his backhand that he made look so easy

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
fantastic win for Kyle, absolutely fantastic. Isner wasn't in great form, which helped, but even so, a servebot is hugely difficult regardless. Hopefully Kyle can get some good experience against Djokovic and move onwards towards a seed.

MIMIC

Banned
Top American (male) is gone.

Isner looked spent anyway. That five setter earlier must have gotten to him.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
All we need is a Dan Evans upset now and we'll have 3 Brits in R16, which surely means the end of the universe is nigh.

So happy to see Kyle pull that off. Isner was definitely a bit off, but he had a burst of adrenaline towards the end of the 4th set and looked like he might servebot his way out after Edmund missed a sitter of a forehand to gift back the mini-break in the TB. Edmund was clutch after that though, picking Isner off at the net again and again. He's improved a good deal since I first watched him last year; as well as a solid backhand, his forehand is bigger and more varied, and he moves with much more balance. Still think his 2nd serve needs a bit of work.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately we need him to lose to have a very promising Kyrgios-Wawrinka. :)

Why settle for that when we could have Evans-Kyrgios - especially given they are doubles partners?

Soooo many opportunities for Bellis. She had break points in 3 of Kerbers service games and couldn't convert any. Kerber wins the first set 6-1 but there were a lot of close games

John Dunbar

correct about everything
so how does vesnina not get warnings for distracting the opponent? when she hits the ball, it doesn't even sound like a grunt or anything. it sounds like she's saying something.

MIMIC

Banned
Halep down, too?

Considering all of the dramatic comebacks this tournament, I wouldn't be surprised if Halep still comes out on top. She IS 5th, after all.

Speevy

Banned
Damn, I thought Ferrer would give Delpo more of a challenge given the winning record, but Delpo was too much for him.

I hope he can get revenge against Murray.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray doing his compulsory tournament shitfest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom