• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5.0 OUT NOW

winjer

Gold Member
I never said he is 100% always right about PC leaks. I said it's what he is know for, leaking PC specs.
DF never leaked one thing about the PS5 specs or console hardware in general.

RGT had a whole thread here about PS5 Pro.

Look at Digital Foundry's history about PS5 specs and you would know why not to believe them.

One should ask why would the OS even need more than one Zen 2 core while playing a game.

This isn't like the OS PS4 that had to utilize two Jaguar Cores.

Jaguar was a weak CPU with one thread pre core. While Zen 2 is much more powerful and has two threads pre core.

Either way it doesn't matter as PS5 performance is still good and sometimes match or outperform the competition.

RTG leaks nothing. He just copies every rumor he sees on the internet. Most not even from reliable sources.
He is just a bottom feeder, leaching off of others.

DF doesn't publish rumors, nor unconfirmed crap.
But I agree with you, that when it comes to hardware analysis they are very lacking.
They are good at counting pixels and frame rates, but little else.

You are basically comparing two sources of information for hardware, that are very lacking in accuracy and knowledge.

But the real issue is that Sony never did an in depth technical presentation of the PS5 hardware.
Had they done something like the MS presentation at Hotchips, most of these threads with conflicting rumors and speculation about the PS5 would be gone.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Listening to this digital foundry podcast, unreal engine 5 sounds a bit gutting. Looks like it won't be super efficient for some time, unless this demo is a mess. I'm sure devs will all work together getting it up to speed asap.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Curiously, you are the second person saying they have crashes on RTX 3000 series. But not on RTX 2000 series.
The other person that I saw, said he had 3 PCs with 3000 series, all crashing with these demos. But he said he was seeing this with the DLSS version.
Do you also have these crashes with non DLSS demos?
Yep. Both demos.

I haven' but try increasing your virtual memory in windows . I had crashes with the early access despite having 12GBs Vram, 32GBs of RAM, the virtual memory was set too low and I had to increase it to bigger than my VRAM size.
I will try this tonight, but man ive tried just about everything. Other games like RDR2 and Control crash all the time as well.

SlimySnake

Listening to this digital foundry podcast, unreal engine 5 sounds a bit gutting. Looks like it won't be super efficient for some time, unless this demo is a mess. I'm sure devs will all work together getting it up to speed asap.
this demo pushes CPUs hard. Fortnite runs on UE5 and can easily do 120 fps on consoles. On 30 series cards, Ive seen benchmarks up to 350 fps.

winjer

Gold Member

PC scales much better with CPU clock speed, than with core count.
Demo is mostly CPU bottlenecked. With hardware RT, CPU usage increases drasticaly.
On the same scene, PS5 runs sub 1080p.
PS5 uses lower setting for shadow resolution. GI is also lower quality on PS5, with more light bleed from geometry.

Last edited:

hlm666

For an engine looking to the future the lack of scaling in the cpu department is a worry. Just when we think the future is about multi core use/efficiency epic go and have a crysis moment and create some fuel for the frequency race to start again ;)

I would guess that PlayStation are keeping 1x 2-way core back for running a hypvisored dedicated game server on each users console for being able to dynamic host to minimise hop counts between all connected users in games, and keep another thread of another core back for any future needs that might arise. Xbox probably do the same for serving, but haven't kept a thread back because they'd just release another console in the series if a new feature required better hardware, and because the disparity in IO complex to Velocity Architecture of CPU overhead, the difference in console Audio solutions with the PS5 having a dedicated Tempest engine, means the XsX is - I suspect - actually doing far more work with its CPU than the PS5 with an extra thread and higher clock, and possibly even using the additional CUs for the physics on the GPU, but still being less responsive.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
For an engine looking to the future the lack of scaling in the cpu department is a worry. Just when we think the future is about multi core use/efficiency epic go and have a crysis moment and create some fuel for the frequency race to start again ;)

Mind you that UE5 scales to many threads.
Seems to top out at 6c12t.
But for the level of detail Epic wants to implement, it's not nearly enough.

SlimySnake

PC scales much better with CPU clock speed, than with core count.
Demo is mostly CPU bottlenecked. With hardware RT, CPU usage increases drasticaly.
On the same scene, PS5 runs sub 1080p.
PS5 uses lower setting for shadow resolution. GI is also lower quality on PS5, with more light bleed from geometry.

There is no way PS5 runs sub 1080p. I have played this demo at 1440p on my 2080 and it looks virtually identical to the PS5 version.

Alex is just guessing there. He said it implies the PS5 has a lower than 1080p resolution. He cant do any pixel counting because there are no camera cuts they rely upon to find edges.

winjer

Gold Member
There is no way PS5 runs sub 1080p. I have played this demo at 1440p on my 2080 and it looks virtually identical to the PS5 version.

Alex is just guessing there. He said it implies the PS5 has a lower than 1080p resolution. He cant do any pixel counting because there are no camera cuts they rely upon to find edges.

He wasn't able to count pixels, because of TSR.
But comparing the PC, set at 1080p with TSR upscaled to 4K, the resulting image was better than the one from the PS5.
Thus is conclusion that the PS5 runs sub 1080p stands correct.

vpance

Yeah I'd have to agree. When I compared the 2 PS5 seemed a little rougher than 1440p PC, but I doubt it's sub 1080.

SlimySnake

He wasn't able to count pixels, because of TSR.
But comparing the PC, set at 1080p with TSR upscaled to 4K, the resulting image was better than the one from the PS5.
Thus is conclusion that the PS5 runs sub 1080p stands correct.
What if the PS5's TSR implementation is worse?

I dont know. We have seen PC benchmarks and the RDNA 2.0 cards are holding their own against the 20 series cards. I really dont see why the PS5 would be performing 70-100% worse than my 2080.

winjer

Gold Member
What if the PS5's TSR implementation is worse?

I dont know. We have seen PC benchmarks and the RDNA 2.0 cards are holding their own against the 20 series cards. I really dont see why the PS5 would be performing 70-100% worse than my 2080.

It's not. In fact, it's probably better, since EPIC purposely optimized TSR on the consoles.
On PC, it uses generic shaders, that are the compiled and optimized by the driver (nvidia or AMD), during runtime.

PaintTinJr

I was meaning more about the audio engine being inside the GPU on PS5 and it has unified memory, so the CPU burden on XsX I was thinking is with contention for memory bandwidth for the CPU, and for the CPU burden of Velocity Architecture moving the audio-mapped(lightmap-esq 3D audio system they use) data into position to be processed. Audio is likely very IO intensive when using pre-calculated info.

Given how much unburdening of IO the PS5 does, I still expect the Xbox CPU to be working harder, especially when smartshift implies there will be excess power leftover from the CPU - from under utilisation - to redirect power to the GPU - as Cerny explained.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I'm genuinely surprised that Steam's indie section is not flooded yet with "Made with Unreal Engine 5" projects. There are some, but with Early Access having been out a year, I had assumed there would be tons of games ready to push the button as soon as the publishing system was solidified in 5.0. Most of these homemade UE5 projects are their previous UE4 homework converted up (or they kitbash an environment and drop in an avatar and that's their project) but it'd be good for some bare, baseline games to release (or convert over in a version update) so we could get some more real-world examples. Also, it'd just be an interesting novelty to have like Flappy Bird but flying over the Valley of the Ancients landscape...

Here's some games that use UE5, if you want to get outside of The Matrix Awakens City Sample (or can't run it) or need some different perspectives:

(*the first known UE5 game release)

Also, an app:

Last edited:

CamHostage

And more still coming in a while...

(Probably none of the rest of these are super-interesting, since "real" UE5 games will be out by the time most of these are, but that's a sampling of what's being messed with. Maybe some of the screenshots on a few of these are interesting to look through to see what even little developers are doing with the engine.)

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

What can a cutting-edge engine do to make the games you play better? We interviewed the game developers using Unreal Engine 5 to find out!

Ever since the Unreal Engine 5 reveal trailer, UE5 demos, ue5 tutorials, and mockups of games such as Cyberpunk 2077 using Unreal Engine 5 and even an Unreal Engine 5 subway have flooded the internet. But what does this new engine actually do compared to the old ones? We asked CD Projekt Red, That's No Moon, ProbablyMonsters, Bloober Team, several indie devs, and pulled quotes from others so we could gain a complete picture of what features developers are excited about, whether it be nanite, lumen, world partition, or something else. Hopefully you leave with a clearer understanding of what Unreal Engine 5 could mean for the gaming landscape.

winjer

Gold Member
On my 2070S, 1440p

RZcFyZk.jpg
cyEyRj3.jpg

BlueHawk

Neo Member
I bet more free-to-play games come out on Unreal Engine 5 than any other game engine from the past. 85% of gaming revenue comes from Free-to-play games after-all and UE5 is for IOS, just as much as consoles. Will be an interesting statistic to look back on in 3-5 years.

SlimySnake

Unreal Engine Matrix demo looks good on my PS5 but i after playing on console for last 4 years i built a gaming PC because im done with 30fps. I can't take it anymore.. I know its a bit more expensive to build a pc but since its my primary hobby i wanna enjoy it 100%..
I think even 40+ fps on PC with Gsync feels good. You dont need to build a super powerful PC either.

I actually hope most games target 40 fps next gen games on consoles. Ratchet and Spiderman feel so much better than 30 its not even close. Yes, you lose 33% of the GPU rendering more frames, but at least its only a 33% hit and not a 100% hit you need to get 60 fps in a game.

I think even 40+ fps on PC with Gsync feels good. You dont need to build a super powerful PC either.

I actually hope most games target 40 fps next gen games on consoles. Ratchet and Spiderman feel so much better than 30 its not even close. Yes, you lose 33% of the GPU rendering more frames, but at least its only a 33% hit and not a 100% hit you need to get 60 fps in a game.
What for the 5 people that have 120hz tvs, focus on 60fps plz, don't need fancy ray tracing in our games.

This makes me think the end scene probably was not that heavy either.

Edit
Based off the matrix demo I didn't expect such smoothness at high speed.

Last edited:

hlm666

Here's the matrix demo running on 5.1 with updated reflections on transparencies.

Seems to be running better, someone was saying nanite was updated to use mesh shaders on pc in 5.1 (consoles already were using it in the demo) but I can't verify that. Curious to see what you notice winjer winjer or if you know if mesh shaders were already in use in 5.0?

winjer

Gold Member
Here's the matrix demo running on 5.1 with updated reflections on transparencies.

Seems to be running better, someone was saying nanite was updated to use mesh shaders on pc in 5.1 (consoles already were using it in the demo) but I can't verify that. Curious to see what you notice winjer winjer or if you know if mesh shaders were already in use in 5.0?

The difference is that it's using Shader model 6.0 and UE5.1
Asides from having DLSS and DLAA, and a menu system.
As far as I know, consoles and PC are using the same geometry engine. Even on this newer demo.

If you want to know more, or ask questions to the creator. He hangs out at guru3d forum, by the nickname XenthorX

Go_Ly_Dow

Very much looking forward to seeing Dragon Quest 12, FF7 Remake Part II and Kingdom Hearts 4 running on this engine, closer to the final product.

They should all look stunning and different with their varying art styles.

CamHostage

Don't get your hopes up. It's a very small part of the demo.
But here is the download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yWDoiLBHvCvyqbN9ruSURFV4RwX8f9vf/view

Eh, I think that's not the first demo? That looks to be just the character (who was made available in the second demo, which was released on PC) in a rocky valley location. This temple set is a pretty common UE asset, and the rocky walls and columns look like kitbashed parts and bits that have also floated around. (Some of these materials were among the first things propagated in maybe even UE4 projects if not early UE5 Early Access demos to try to approximate that first demo and test similar conditions.) I don't think anything's actually from that 2020 Lumen in the Land of Nanite demo, and far as I know nothing from that first demo has been "released", not the specific assets and particularly not the package or project file.

I could be wrong, but for example, that's not at all the same temple set.

XIekFbF.jpg

6AXUqyH.jpg

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Epic's Unreal Engine has always remained at the forefront of modern rendering techniques and technology for decades at this point now. Whether it's smoothing out jagged edges of surfaces in games like Unreal Tournament, or implementing ray-tracing for realistic lighting in Unreal Engine 4, Epic's software development offerings have remained at the cutting edge of real-time graphics.

After a fair bit of anticipation and excitement, we finally have the latest iteration of the engine - the Unreal Engine 5 which is now available to all developers to use in their games.

elbourreau

I started working and experimenting with metahuman, especialy the mesh (head sculpt) to metahuman, and it's mindblowing! Just the head, UE5 create the topology, the mouth the teeth, add the body, it does what can take DAYS in just a few minutes... What devilery is this?!

C7ZEg0G.png

Shmunter

I started working and experimenting with metahuman, especialy the mesh (head sculpt) to metahuman, and it's mindblowing! Just the head, UE5 create the topology, the mouth the teeth, add the body, it does what can take DAYS in just a few minutes... What devilery is this?!

C7ZEg0G.png

Are you able to exaggerate the features to create unique styles such as for a cartoon or anime?

Top Bottom