• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5.0 OUT NOW

Imtjnotu

done its over GIF

Watching the stream right now; very interested to download and try this. Been meaning to get back into 3D modeling and already have Blender installed, but UE5 looking too good to pass up.

i want to as well but i wonder if there is a good beginner course for this on udemy or sth like this

There should be some decent resources for learning on Youtube, and I know Blender in particular has quite a few as well as a full Wiki tutorial for learning how to use the program.

I'm personally mainly interested in UE5 for level creation, character modeling, animation rigging and scripting. Would rather use another program for audio since I'm way more used to its interface for that. Hope the scripting features are pretty strong and easy enough to use for people with beginner-level coding experience.

Larxia

I've been wanting to try unreal engine for a while, mess around with it a bit and learning some things, mainly to try to create some environments.
I wonder if a GTX 1080 would be enough, is unreal engine 5 by default more demanding than 4 or does it just depends on what you do with it?

I've been wanting to try unreal engine for a while, mess around with it a bit and learning some things, mainly to try to create some environments.
I wonder if a GTX 1080 would be enough, is unreal engine 5 by default more demanding than 4 or does it just depends on what you do with it?

It is; their website lists GTX 1080 as a minimum recommended for non-RT work. Basically anything that is DX11 or DX12-compatible.

For Lumen though they recommend a minimum RTX-2000 series or RX-6000 series card. Everything else just seems like you'd need the latest graphics drivers installed.

Here's their website for requirements.

Loxus

Here is UE5 Matrix demo running on a 3090.

@6:45 mark
Drops below 20fps at times on Epic settings.

Last edited:

Larxia

I meant to try working and doing my own scenes on it, not to run their most demanding tech demo yet :messenger_grinning_smiling: I figured this demo wouldn't run on my gpu because of the lighting alone.

Cool but will have to be patient to see Unreal Engine 5 games... 3-4 years?
AAA studios have had early access to it’s evolving state since late 2020. We’ll probably see the first to launch UE5 games at this E3 or Summer Games Fest and release in late 2023. I’d guess Final Fantasy VII Remake Part II.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the resolution is way higher than PS5 and that PS5 is far less demanding settings ontop of the fact that it's not running the editor.
I packaged the demo and might upload it to Google Drive for anyone who wants to run the game version without having to run the resource heavy editor.
Might upload a video of how it runs on my 3070 with SATA SSD without directstorage or rtxio.

Mozzarella

Can someone explain something?
If a dev wants to make their new game on this engine, do they pay for it? or they can use it freely?

drezz

If a dev wants to make their new game on this engine, do they pay for it? or they can use it freely?
Think it was free until you made your first 100k or 1mill? I dont remember, but after that you start paying a fee. Ballpark something like that with the previous unreal's.

With how many big studios like CDPR & many others switching to use UE5 instead of their own in house game engine
Epic are gone to make so much money from this
it gone to feel like Epic will have a monopoly on game engine soon more so then they alredy do now

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They have tiers. indies dont have to pay a cut until they make $1 million. Then its 5% of all revenue. Big publishers might have different deals because 5% for games that make $500 million to $1 billion is insane.

SlimySnake

You know Alex will pull out his 2060 Super for this comparison lol

It will be fascinating to see if the RTX cores perform better when using hardware accelerated lumens. The RTX 2060 Super is roughly on par with the PS5 and XSX in most RT games, but do we know if that translates to the way Lumens is handled by UE5?

Also, it will be interesting if he can get confirmation on whether or not the consoles are using medium, high or Epic settings. If the 3090 is sturggling at Epic settings then the PS5 was likely using medium settings. What resolution is this guy running the game at?

SlimySnake

Packaged it and ran it on my 3070, Samsung Evo Sata SSD without directstorage and it only uses 4G RAM
4wE4OGP.png
What FPS are you getting with TSR on at 1080p? The 3070 is way more powerful than the PS5 and XSX especially when it comes to RT. Would be interesting to get a comparison.

Arioco

Do we know what resolution he's using? It runs very poorly even on a beast like an RTX 3090. Even turning the camera while walking along the street makes the demo stutter like crazy, way worse that what we've seen on consoles. Maybe it's running in 4K, I can see no other explanation.

vpance

Do we know what resolution he's using? It runs very poorly even on a beast like an RTX 3090. Even turning the camera while walking along the street makes the demo stutter like crazy, way worse that what we've seen on consoles. Maybe it's running in 4K, I can see no other explanation.

In the project's config there's this

; Max the rendering resolution to the average dynamic resolution on consoles targeted.
r.ScreenPercentage.MaxResolution=1440

So 1440p I guess?

SlimySnake

In the project's config there's this

So 1440p I guess?
That would explain the framerate issues. 75% more pixels plus whatever the extra cost for epic settings.

The 3090 should offer 100% more performance than the ps5 and xsx in standard rasterization.

vpance

In one of the vids today they showed a neat way of how they rendered interiors of buildings using parallax techniques for 2D images, which looked almost indistinguishable from the real 3D version.

Trouble is, in game it looks like absolute trash for whatever reason.

Untitledo.png

What FPS are you getting with TSR on at 1080p? The 3070 is way more powerful than the PS5 and XSX especially when it comes to RT. Would be interesting to get a comparison.
I believe 1440p. I'm getting 30+ when walking and ~25 fps when driving with dips in the 20s.
Its definitely not optimized for the PC and in Epic unreal engine fashion. The chaos physics is completely broken in this build with the latest version of UE5 and chaos compared to the old console build

Last edited:

Loxus

You know Alex will pull out his 2060 Super for this comparison lol

It will be fascinating to see if the RTX cores perform better when using hardware accelerated lumens. The RTX 2060 Super is roughly on par with the PS5 and XSX in most RT games, but do we know if that translates to the way Lumens is handled by UE5?

Also, it will be interesting if he can get confirmation on whether or not the consoles are using medium, high or Epic settings. If the 3090 is sturggling at Epic settings then the PS5 was likely using medium settings. What resolution is this guy running the game at?
Have no idea, we'll have to wait on someone to do some comparisons.

Performance is still very poor though.

Loxus

Don't know if Epic settings is still 4k.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I packaged the demo and might upload it to Google Drive for anyone who wants to run the game version without having to run the resource heavy editor.
Might upload a video of how it runs on my 3070 with SATA SSD without directstorage or rtxio.
Let me know if you upload it, I'm interested in trying it!

Top Bottom