• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5.0 OUT NOW

winjer

Gold Member
You have a 5600x?
And I mean for me and my 3700x. I just can't imagine it's anything else since i can't get over 50 fps regardless of settings but GPU usage can go as low as 30%

I have a 3700X, but with memory at 3800 MTS and IF at 1900Mhz.

I just found out something very puzzling.
So I added this command to my engine.ini

r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1
niagara.CreateShadersOnLoad=1

And I get almost no stutter while driving.
There is still some frame rate fluctuation, but nothing as big as before.
So it might have been shader compilation all along.

BTW, at what resolution are you running the demo?

Last edited:

Md Ray

More.

"I'd have to look up the details, but at a high level it's normally somewhere around Epic. For virtual shadow maps (which I am most familiar with), it was basically Epic on PS5/XSX, except the consoles had "static separate" caching turned on (see the VSM docs for the cvar). Note that the console settings may not match perfectly with one of the scalability presets as they typically set the cvars directly."
Is he talking about the console settings in the Matrix Awakens demo?

r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1

75% of 1440p
I'll try those as well

vpance

Still not working :( I really thought it did because after installing these something changed, I could now select "force update" for the SDK in unreal, and when I do it says it "Installing SDK complete!" while it used to fail before. But it still doesn't work, also got these 2 warnings in the log.

lWZOKO0.png

It's also weird because on the update tab it says installed SDK : 10.0.19044.0, but in the lower menu "SDK MANAGEMENT" the installed SDK line is empty :messenger_confounded:

Those are just warnings which should be ok. But since you installed the SDK manually you shouldn't need to force update.

So when you run Package Project now do you still get a popup saying something about your SDK?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1

I got the framerate fluctuations when driving really fast for a long amount of time without crashing. I can understand the crashes causing framedrops since nanite isnt supported for collisions, but it didnt make sense that simply speeding through the area would cause framedrops considering how the PS5 IO is supposed to handle exactly that without issues.

Larxia

Those are just warnings which should be ok. But since you installed the SDK manually you shouldn't need to force update.

So when you run Package Project now do you still get a popup saying something about your SDK?
I have this popup yes:
0dI84g2.png

It seems to still work if I ignore it, but I don't like it :messenger_astonished:

r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1

Added those and they fixed the huge drops but it still stutters a lot and my gpu usage is around 60-70%
I got the framerate fluctuations when driving really fast for a long amount of time without crashing. I can understand the crashes causing framedrops since nanite isnt supported for collisions, but it didnt make sense that simply speeding through the area would cause framedrops considering how the PS5 IO is supposed to handle exactly that without issues.
I honestly think it's mainly cpu and doesn't have anything to do with streaming causing stutters. Unless the streaming is using a ton of CPU, but that shouldn't be the case on ps5

winjer

Gold Member

I also got frame rate fluctuations. But not so much those big hitches.
Did you notice any big hitching with these commands?

vpance

I have this popup yes:
0dI84g2.png

It seems to still work if I ignore it, but I don't like it :messenger_astonished:

Try restarting Windows? Might have to do that after the SDK and .NET installs.

winjer winjer do you know if this is what the packaged folder should look like?

MxI15QSa8gJD.png

It complained of some missing dlls when I ran it so I added them, but now running the exe doesn't actually do anything. No message, no process, nothing. Think I'm gonna throw in the towel on this lol.

PaintTinJr

MxI15QSa8gJD.png

It complained of some missing dlls when I ran it so I added them, but now running the exe doesn't actually do anything. No message, no process, nothing. Think I'm gonna throw in the towel on this lol.
Which licensing option did you take? And do both licensing options let you package build commercial; assets?

I had a similar problem with the early access for packaging and think it was a combination of license choice and not having installed UE4 first before the Early access - as I suspectUE5 might originally have been planned as a UE4 update before they decided to make it a full blown full new version release.

winjer

Gold Member

MxI15QSa8gJD.png

This is what I have:

gzLBTON.png

CamHostage

I had a similar problem with the early access for packaging and think it was a combination of license choice and not having installed UE4 first before the Early access...

I've had trouble with UE5 packets as well (not with City Sample, as my laptop would melt trying to run that, but I thought I'd play with Lyra and get an idea of what a more lo-fi UE5 project might do (and also play with the editor) but the package content seems incomplete in the Editor. It's also trying to remind me to load things which aren't under the Settings they're pointing me towards. So, I mean, you expect bugs with a launch even after Early Access, maybe some of that is what encountering, but I gave up for now because I'm not seeing how I could have made mistakes in the process and the only solution I have on hand is reinstalling.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I see in videos that by default, the densities are set to 50% ?
I hope incoming fair comparisons will bump it to 100% as it's default on consoles

SlimySnake

Can't wait to run this on my gaming rig tonight! Wish they released all of the demos with the engine, as it would shut up a bunch of the Debbie Downers from some of the other unreal engine threads.
Lets not shit this thread up as well. We already had one thread locked because of that discussion.

Curious to hear about your benchmarks.

winjer

Gold Member
I hope incoming fair comparisons will bump it to 100% as it's default on consoles

Did that. Most of the time was between 28-32 fps while driving around.
Occasional dips to 25 fps, but also some highs to 36.
My CPU usage seemed a bit higher.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Can't wait to run this on my gaming rig tonight! Wish they released all of the demos with the engine, as it would shut up a bunch of the Debbie Downers from some of the other unreal engine threads.
It is not a demo.

And you have the freedom to do everything with the project just like the Epic team that created it... so you can do way more with the project than a demo.
And it is aimed to developers.

But if you want somebody from Epic else telling you that instead me:

"Not to get too coy, but the community can do literally all the same things the Epic team did here. That's the whole point in releasing the entire engine and demo as open source for free. I must admit to not having a ton of sympathy for people not being willing to learn a few things about Unreal and tweak a few settings on different PC configs when all of the hard work has already been done and given away for free.

To be clear I get your feelings as an end user, but this is an engine sample for developers primarily to help them learn how to build their own games. Please try and keep that in mind."

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I've had trouble with UE5 packets as well (not with City Sample, as my laptop would melt trying to run that, but I thought I'd play with Lyra and get an idea of what a more lo-fi UE5 project might do (and also play with the editor) but the package content seems incomplete in the Editor. It's also trying to remind me to load things which aren't under the Settings they're pointing me towards. So, I mean, you expect bugs with a launch even after Early Access, maybe some of that is what encountering, but I gave up for now because I'm not seeing how I could have made mistakes in the process and the only solution I have on hand is reinstalling.
My previous issue might also have been Windows related(registry, etc) as I hadn't did a clean windows install in over a decade until recently - on my workstation - as I had just upgraded from XP pro-> 8 -> 8.1 -> 10 in place and cloned drives whenever disks were upgraded and motherboards changed was just a reactivation.

When I get round to trying this full release, I'm also going to setup a new user profile just for running it, as my user profile probably still has elements from back then too.

I doubt there can be a truely fair comparison since I bet the console versions got a lot more love then just compile and done.

true but you know these comparisons will be made regardless.
It's a very heavy demo so I'd say it's running quite well on all 3 consoles.

I also don't think it's io intensive at all. I think it's CPU bound and optimized poorly on everything.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Does anyone have the link to the executable I can download without having to download the whole project?

CamHostage

It is not a demo.

But if you want somebody from Epic else telling you that instead me:

"...To be clear I get your feelings as an end user, but this is an engine sample for developers primarily to help them learn how to build their own games. Please try and keep that in mind."

True all of the posted, but with the one caveat: they released the full "Matrix Awakens" experience on consoles, yet for PC, there's no equivalent release but for this City Sample developer project file. So to get that experience of having what Epic describes as "a vision for what the future of interactive content could be" on a device that you own, you have to go through this developer process (which isn't as easy as it sounds, even though UE5 Engine/toolkit is free and readily available) or else get a compiled build from somebody else.

This is not a demo on PC, but it is a demo on PS5 and Xbox Series.

So, it's a little weird that PC gets a "lesser" experience right now, (even though the PC community at large gets a greater experience overall with the available build and the possibility of modified/optimized versions of this project file compiled to check out as time goes on. Maybe somebody will even take the time and remake the opening and/or freeway chase as a UE5 project of their own?)

...Can't fault us kids for being excited for this new toy, even if this is technically not a toy, it's a set of keys. Shiny, jangly keys...

Last edited:

vpance

Finally got a compiled build running, but it looks kind of low res? I changed the GameUserSettings.ini to 2160p but in game console still has this setting at 1440p.

If I change r.ScreenPercentage.MaxResolution to 2160 it doesn't look like the res changes at all.

g.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Copying this list from Era.

Looks like MS first party is very heavily invested in UE5. Won't be surprised if Halo moves to UE5 for future games too at this rate:

-Redfall;
-Perfect Dark;
-inXline new AAA RPG;
-Everwild;
-State of Decay 3;
-Double Fine New IP;
-Hellblade 2;
-Project Mara;
-Gears Next;
-The Coalition Project 2;
-The Outer Worlds 2;
It needs to be. Halo's performance on PC is frankly unacceptable for a game designed around the limitations of a 1.3 tflops gpu.

I hope Sony studios move to UE5 as well. I was looking at the Spiderman 2 trailer and meh, it doesnt look as good as the matrix. Still looks fairly cartoonish on top. I think they also might be wasting native 4k on this game just like they did with Ratchet so maybe Insomniac is just fucking clueless. 1440p should be the max resolution for next gen only games. anything more is a gigantic waste of GPU.

ethomaz

Banned
Finally got a compiled build running, but it looks kind of low res? I changed the GameUserSettings.ini to 2160p but in game console still has this setting at 1440p.

If I change r.ScreenPercentage.MaxResolution to 2160 it doesn't look like the res changes at all.

g.png
I don’t know but the file says the last time you ran the game was at 1280x720.

Can you change the UseDesiredScreenHeight to true and see what happens?

PS. I should change FullScreenMode to 0… it is the actual full screen… 1 is windowed full screen and 2 just windowed.

Last edited:

Banned
Copying this list from Era.

Looks like MS first party is very heavily invested in UE5. Won't be surprised if Halo moves to UE5 for future games too at this rate:

-Redfall;
-Perfect Dark;
-inXline new AAA RPG;
-Everwild;
-State of Decay 3;
-Double Fine New IP;
-Hellblade 2;
-Project Mara;
-Gears Next;
-The Coalition Project 2;
-The Outer Worlds 2;

well, I mean, One of their studios are ex-Unreal Engine devs, and are seemingly actively helping with the engine... so makes sense really. they basically have one team that is extremely invested in the engine and produced one of the best looking UE4 games ever, having a team like that that can help your other studios with the engine is a really good thing.

Banned
I don’t think there is good performance with this Sample… even with the best hardware it will drop sub30 and struggle.

I'm currently downloading the engine, I'm really interested how it will run on my 3060ti, and I bet at normal resolutions and after being compiled it should run better than that.
but, I'll see soon enough I guess lol... (downloading is super slow currently... no Idea why, maybe their servers are a bit constipated currently or something)

edit: JEEEESUS the Matrix project is 99gb lol... ok... this will take a while

Last edited:

Hoddi

g.png
You're using a 4k screen, right? It looks like you have DPI set to 150% which makes the demo use 1440p as an output resolution.

If you right-click citysample.exe and head into properties > compatibility then there's a 'Change high DPI settings' where you can set it to 'scaling performed by application'. This should solve it for you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
well, I mean, One of their studios are ex-Unreal Engine devs, and are seemingly actively helping with the engine... so makes sense really. they basically have one team that is extremely invested in the engine and produced one of the best looking UE4 games ever, having a team like that that can help your other studios with the engine is a really good thing.

Yessir, I said something similar in the other Coalition UE5 demo topic before it got locked.

It's great that MS has tasked one of their primary first parties to heavily invest in UE5. Their knowledge and experience will benefit all other studios as well.

vpance

I don’t know but the file says the last time you ran the game was at 1280x720.

Can you change the UseDesiredScreenHeight to true and see what happens?

PS. I should change FullScreenMode to 0… it is the actual full screen… 1 is windowed full screen and 2 just windowed.
You're using a 4k screen, right? It looks like you have DPI set to 150% which makes the demo use 1440p as an output resolution.

If you right-click citysample.exe and head into properties > compatibility then there's a 'Change high DPI settings' where you can set it to 'scaling performed by application'. This should solve it for you.

For whatever reason the game would keep resetting to 1828x1142 in the .ini file no matter what I put in there. So I tried Run as Admin for the exe and the settings worked. Weird. Maybe it's the way I built the project. Now I want to see if this HDR setting works.

Tried playing around with ScreenPercentage and it's quite difficult to see the difference between 50 and 100 most times. This is at 4K 100%

4k100.png

Last edited:

Banned
Wow. Game looks incredible in first person shaky cam mode.

Crazy to think people tried to downplay the games visuals by saying it doesnt look photorealistic.

it helps that this is running on a 3090 and not on a console at 1080p with sub 30fps and awful upscaling artifacts... you know....

edit: this is most likely also running way higher settings than console

Last edited:

vpance

HDR On setting in the .ini doesn't stick but if you turn it on manually in Windows it basically looks the same as it does on console.

I actually remembered the PS5 version looking way blurrier than it does but it's actually pretty good after booting it up again to compare. In some locations PC has the same upscaling artifacts as console does, just to a lesser degree because of the higher res. Wonder if it's any better on RTX cards.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Thats pretty much what PC gaming has always been. You get some extra FPS and some higher quality AA and shadows. The god tier PC is still only 2x more powerful than the PS5 so you will get 2x more framerate.
also far far far far better textures than on console
besides that though, the differences were way more drastic if you compared PC to console back in the 80s-2000s

ethomaz

Banned
I'm currently downloading the engine, I'm really interested how it will run on my 3060ti, and I bet at normal resolutions and after being compiled it should run better than that.
but, I'll see soon enough I guess lol... (downloading is super slow currently... no Idea why, maybe their servers are a bit constipated currently or something)

edit: JEEEESUS the Matrix project is 99gb lol... ok... this will take a while
I mean at 1080p…

Top Bottom