• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK approves COVID-19 vaccine.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Hopefully they tested this enough.
If so and it’s safe get me vaccinated.

I’m cynical about how Boris is rolling it out so quickly. I posted my reasons below.

edit :
Update

Oh here we go. Brexit saved us.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It cracks me up, people on one hand going "nah, it'll be fine" about the prospect of catching Covid because the statistics show that its got a relatively low mortality rate, yet are squirrely about taking a vaccine with an equally statistically low probability of causing any sort of adverse reaction!

Seems like its less about the science than political paranoia to me. Because all things being equal the worst case scenario of dying due to contracting the disease seems like the infinite loss case in this particular version of Pascal's wager.

I'm too cautious of a guy to want to be in the initial run of vaccinations, but assuming in 6 months there's no common side effects discovered, I'll be getting it.

SpiceRacz

It cracks me up, people on one hand going "nah, it'll be fine" about the prospect of catching Covid because the statistics show that its got a relatively low mortality rate, yet are squirrely about taking a vaccine with an equally statistically low probability of causing any sort of adverse reaction!

Seems like its less about the science than political paranoia to me. Because all things being equal the worst case scenario of dying due to contracting the disease seems like the infinite loss case in this particular version of Pascal's wager.

One is contagious and the other you would take voluntarily. I don't see what that has to do with politics.

FunkMiller

Of course it’s political. It’s all political. Trump and his fellow populists have played down the seriousness of the virus to the point where people think the vaccine isn’t necessary. He and his ilk have also spent years trying to convince people not to listen to institutions and organisations. They’ve created an atmosphere of mistrust to suit their own ends.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Unknown adverse reaction, people aren't afraid of getting mild adverse reactions, it what we don't know that scares people.
What is funny is that people don't fear what they do know and are ok with the current state of affairs if anything.

Of course it’s political. It’s all political. Trump and his fellow populists have played down the seriousness of the virus to the point where people think the vaccine isn’t necessary. He and his ilk have also spent years trying to convince people not to listen to institutions and organisations. They’ve created an atmosphere of mistrust to suit their own ends.
Which party does Trump represent in the UK?

I'm British, I'm sensible and for the best will in the world, the scientists, experts and industry leading companies have done all the tests, checks and balances they can, with the exception of one; Time. I don't blame them, I can't blame them. They've done what they can under the circumstances.

But measles, mumps, TB, malaria, tetanus... All of these have had years and decades of trials on a virus/disease that is stable

Vs

A constantly mutating virus that was created last year and we have no idea what the long term affects of the virus and or vaccine MAY be.

On top of that, this vaccine is using a new type of biological material designed to be better. I'm sure Boeing didn't design aircraft to crash, but here we are.

But hey, I can't think for myself so I blame it all on/believe undoubtably a, fella that runs another country halfway across the world. All Trump's fault, amirite?

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Think it's more omission bias. Consequences from action are given more weight than consequences of inaction in our heads.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Think it's more omission bias. Consequences from action are given more weight than consequences of inaction in our heads.

Well in this instance is not just a matter of consequence for the individual. Taking a vaccine and suffering adverse effects are bad for you, versus catching Covid and suffering the consequences as well as potentially spreading the disease to other (possibly more vulnerable) people.

My point was that I find it ironic that some people will "roll the dice" more readily when it comes to surviving the disease than suffering side-effects of a cure/prophylaxis. That's simply not rational taking the facts at face value, indicating its based on some point of principle or emotion.

GamingKaiju

Tricky one for me.

I’ve got ms but after having a bad experience with pharmaceuticals that have left my immune system in a bad way it makes me wonder if it’s a good idea to get the first round (if I’m offered) might give it the 2nd or 3rd wave (if offered) to get a jab.

I can see demand for it been sky high though, too many people want things to start a return to normality after the year we’ve all just had.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Which party does Trump represent in the UK?

I'm British, I'm sensible and for the best will in the world, the scientists, experts and industry leading companies have done all the tests, checks and balances they can, with the exception of one; Time. I don't blame them, I can't blame them. They've done what they can under the circumstances.

But measles, mumps, TB, malaria, tetanus... All of these have had years and decades of trials on a virus/disease that is stable

Vs

A constantly mutating virus that was created last year and we have no idea what the long term affects of the virus and or vaccine MAY be.

On top of that, this vaccine is using a new type of biological material designed to be better. I'm sure Boeing didn't design aircraft to crash, but here we are.

But hey, I can't think for myself so I blame it all on/believe undoubtably a, fella that runs another country halfway across the world. All Trump's fault, amirite?
TBH. I want to have it but the whole rushing it out the door. Give it to people scares me.
Completely irrational but still-
Hey remember Thalidomide?
The shit that caused?
Not saying the vaccine would do that but that’s worse case maybe.

what about mild reaction etc ?

they do need to trial a vaccine for a bit. It feels rushed to me but given how COVID is taking things world wide to a standstill. I can see why.
Though part of me can’t help think this is a distraction tactic by Boris to take away attention from Brexit. either it’s gonna be No deal or him doing a fudged deal with the EU , to placate all the Leavers. Let’s all be happy COVID is gonna get fucked. Oh ignore the Brexit stuff. Yay UK U K type thing.

Boris is trying to make the UK look strong and amazing as it’s the first in the world to roll this vaccine out.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
They are giving it to the old first so don't worry if anyone will mutate into a hideous monster it will be gram gram.

If the vaccine didn't get em, stuffing em into old age homes with other infected people will.

I would find it ironic if the vaccine has some major bad effects so the government can fuck up twice. First by not protecting the old from COVID and then second time by injecting them with a bunk vaxxs.

But don't worry when they get paralyzed from the vax they will blame it on the general public for not wearing a mask and social distancing at the pub.

I'll be getting it as soon as I'm able to. But I imagine there are ton of people in greater risk groups that will have access to it first.

TBH. I want to have it but the whole rushing it out the door. Give it to people scares me.
Completely irrational but still-
Hey remember Thalidomide?
The shit that caused?
Not saying the vaccine would do that but that’s worse case maybe.

what about mild reaction etc ?

they do need to trial a vaccine for a bit. It feels rushed to me but given how COVID is taking things world wide to a standstill. I can see why.
Though part of me can’t help think this is a distraction tactic by Boris to take away attention from Brexit. either it’s gonna be No deal or him doing a fudged deal with the EU , to placate all the Leavers. Let’s all be happy COVID is gonna get fucked. Oh ignore the Brexit stuff. Yay UK U K type thing.

Boris is trying to make the UK look strong and amazing as it’s the first in the world to roll this vaccine out.
Excellent point. I lost a family member because of that (she was stillborn with her legs backwards and no arms...)

The vaccine has been 'rushed' as in, the long term effects haven't been studied. We're asking, well, coercing, 10's of millions of people to take a chance for the sake of a 97% recovery rate.

It's gone from 'flatten the curve' to 'wear a mask to safe granny' to "get a vaccine or you can't travel and if you say no you will be socially ostracised for being a conspiracy theorist anti-vaccer"

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Excellent point. I lost a family member because of that (she was stillborn with her legs backwards and no arms...)

The vaccine has been 'rushed' as in, the long term effects haven't been studied. We're asking, well, coercing, 10's of millions of people to take a chance for the sake of a 97% recovery rate.

It's gone from 'flatten the curve' to 'wear a mask to safe granny' to "get a vaccine or you can't travel and if you say no you will be socially ostracised for being a conspiracy theorist anti-vaccer"
I’m so sorry man I never knew 😢

I just get the feeling this is a ploy by Boris. He is not giving a shit and getting the public to take part in live trials. If he gets the vaccine himself then ok I will be proved wrong. But I get the feeling the people in power won’t, Yet. Not until all the test subjects do first. If he does this to act like a big man a world leader and well shit goes south err. Not feeling that.

Last edited:
I’m so sorry man I never knew 😢

I just get the feeling this is a ploy by Boris. He is not giving a shit and getting the public to take part in live trials. If he gets the vaccine himself then ok I will be proved wrong. But I get the feeling the people in power won’t, Yet. Not until all the test subjects do first. If he does this to act like a big man a world leader and well shit goes south err. Not feeling that.
It's fine, shit happens in life, i appreciate the sympathy but i wasn't going for an angle or anything. Unfortunately, lots of people suffered from thalidomide.

Good point. I wonder how many A-list celebs (not the useless slappers and z-listers on Love Island or I'm a celeb) will step forward and take the vaccine. I think if we see none of them do it, well, it tells you everything you need to know.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It's fine, shit happens in life, i appreciate the sympathy but i wasn't going for an angle or anything. Unfortunately, lots of people suffered from thalidomide.

Good point. I wonder how many A-list celebs (not the useless slappers and z-listers on Love Island or I'm a celeb) will step forward and take the vaccine. I think if we see none of them do it, well, it tells you everything you need to know.
Yeah let’s see how blatant it is. I mean the ruse. Yeah I’m sounding like a tinfoil hat wearing person. Woo.

Yeah let’s see how blatant it is. I mean the ruse. Yeah I’m sounding like a tinfoil hat wearing person. Woo.
I think it's more like 'bullshit baffles brains'. If something doesn't make sense, we look to something to give it meaning or to make sense of it. If the leaders, celebs and role models come out and take the vaccine (preferably those in the vulnerable category so they can't be accused of stealing one from granny) then that would put a lot of fears at rest.

We will have to see how this plays out i suppose.

Ten_Fold

Yep y’all take that shit over there in the UK. Grow that tail an turn into some resident evil character if y’all want. Give me a few years before I consider touching that shit.

xiskza

No way am I getting that thing anytime soon, if ever. But the UK is also playing with the idea of a mandatory vaccine in order for you to have your freedom, which seems very tyrannical. But then, that's what the Great Reset is about, power.

Soodanim

I’m in two minds.

I read an article about how the vaccine works and why it was made so quickly. They took a common cold virus that affects chimps and attached a spike protein (the stand-out element of a coronavirus yet isn’t harmful). They knew to try that because SARS and another one that functioned the same way. So in theory, and apparently practice too, you’re taking in a virus that won’t affect you that waves the coronavirus flag. Once you get the antibodies, job done.

But at the same time it’s still so new, and while this could be the future for virus/vaccine timelines, there may also be side effects down the line. As soon as I heard about how the UK is the “First in the world to approve”, I can’t help but be skeptical. Why hasn’t anyone else approved it yet?

Top Bottom