• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft sales down (since WD was last yr), posts losses in first half of fiscal year.

JoseLopez

There is no reason to feel so personally invested in Ubisoft, calm down.
All I said is that while Watch Dogs had (frontloaded) commercial success the game was perceived as a disappointment because of the huge downgrade it had compared to the initial concept and gameplay wise it wasn't great either, it was a really repetitive game with embarrassing phisics. This is not just my personal opinion, it's the average consensus on the game you can read in reviews (metacritic), message boards and such.
I said that so far they have failed to find new IPs that can make them less reliant on annual AC sequels to make profits. Is that false? They're not in a position to stop milking AC otherwise their profits would sink.
About The Crew.....as a gamer I refuse to call successful such a mediocre game (again read metacritic, not just my personal opinion) because somehow they managed to ship 2m units and they tell to their shareholders they're happy with it.
About For Honor....I simply noted they said the title will be focused on multiplayer and if that's the case single player people might be turned away. Stop.
That is a pretty realistic thing to me, lots of people for example won't buy Star Wars even if they're interested in the setting just because it's only online.
I never claimed that For Honor will be multiplayer only and will definetly bomb as your angered reaction seems to imply :D
About The Division, the fact the game is an other downgrade story, it was delayed and fell off the radar is not my invention....I didn't know they're about to start marketing again on the title and I stand corrected here but the other points are not wrong.
And then of course let's not talk again about the damage they did last year with Unity that is also hampering Syndicate's success which is continuing the yoy decline of the series (although I think the game is really good but overall people are bored with the formula).
Splinter Cell , Prince of Persia, Rayman and BG&E being ''on a prolonged vacation'' (just to say something that doesn't hurt feelings) is an other missed opportunity.

As a gamer I'm not happy with how the company has performed so far on PS4/X1, they had good ideas on paper, but the execution so far is disappointing.
I'm hopeful for the future though because I think they can make good games.
The game has a 83 on metacritic and the average consumer does go their.

In-Famous

Slide 26:
Key Factors of Success
-Quality
-Regular Releases

lol

Dear Ubi, just look at Assassin's Creed its already suffering franchise fatigue. The quality of the series has suffered because of your regular releases

AaronB

I prefer their smaller projects; I have Child of Light and Might and Magic X. This year I think they've only gotten parts of $2 from me, for the lowest tiers of the Splinter Cell and Might and Magic bundles. I'm interested in Heroes of Might and Magic 7, but it seems like they didn't devote quite enough resources to it and at too high an asking price. Waiting for a sale.

I wish they'd focus on more projects like those, take the place of the middle-tier publishers, and only put out an AC every 2-3 years when they're really fully baked. Sadly, I don't think they're heading that direction.

Wasn't Wildlands the name of the Tom Clancy game they debuted at E3? The one where they showed a bunch of ways of taking out a drug cartel guy. I want to say it's a Ghost Recon game, but all this Tom Clancy stuff blends together for me.

Oh Yeah ghost recon wildlands my bad

yeah that still needs to come after division

I've got to imagine that we are real close to finding out about Watch Dogs 2 as well.

I do wonder if Ubi are going to give AC some time off. It's hard to see them passing up having a game on shelves when the movie comes out.

down 2 orth

Seems that The Crew outsold games like Driveclub or Forza, so should be good sales for the genre:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=990830

Driveclub was at 2 million before they put up the PS Plus edition, so I very much doubt that this is still the case. Also The Crew was released on what, 5 systems? So 2 million sales for a AAA game on 5 systems could possibly be a success, but I wouldn't be so sure of it. Especially when we take into account the heavily discounted sales that tend to come around not long after a game fails to meet expectations...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Driveclub was at 2 million before they put up the PS Plus edition, so I very much doubt that this is still the case. Also The Crew was released on what, 5 systems? So 2 million sales for a AAA game on 5 systems could possibly be a success, but I wouldn't be so sure of it. Especially when we take into account the heavily discounted sales that tend to come around not long after a game fails to meet expectations...
The Crew shipped 2 million as of February 2015: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit...0959_ubisoftq3fy15englishfinaltcm99193930.pdf

It was at 3 million players as of the time they bought Ivory Tower which suggests it sold somewhere between 2-3 million copies.

That said they bought the studio which suggests they were happy even if it didn't make money.

iJudged

Banned
Go read John Harker's post to educate yourself. There's nothing here about "getting burned for their greed".
Well, I for one am done with with AC series. They've ruined it with MTs amongst other things, am I the only one?

Apt101

Every (well, almost every) company has their ups and downs. They seem to have enough titles shipping in the next six months to end up OK.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
PS4 is in beast mode
2015-11-0422_38_26-pet0sko.jpg

Who is still buying Wii games instead of Wii U???

And PC doing work. Those PC and XBO numbers are surprising.

CHC

That's a shame.

Ubi gets a lot of shit for not very good reasons, but I agree, it is a shame. Their games aren't always the most inspired, but they're usually enjoyable and do what they set out to achieve decently well. I'd be disappointed if they changed their focus or stopped doing what they do (not that there isn't some room for improvement though).

down 2 orth

The Crew shipped 2 million as of February 2015: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit...0959_ubisoftq3fy15englishfinaltcm99193930.pdf

It was at 3 million players as of the time they bought Ivory Tower which suggests it sold somewhere between 2-3 million copies.

That said they bought the studio which suggests they were happy even if it didn't make money.

The amount of players is a P.R. statistic, not a sales statistic, and last I check there's no way to get solid info from that because these stats tend to take into account players on used copies of a game, or multiple accounts on one copy.

Rymuth

UPDATE: Investor Call - LINK

Ubisoft admits Syndicate's 1st week sales were affected by Unity but then go on to say WOM helped it recover in its 2nd week.

UPDATE: Investor Call - LINK

Ubisoft admits Syndicate's 1st week sales were affected by Unity but then go on to say WOM helped it recover in its 2nd week.

Still, declining to say whether those 2 week sales in total were higher or lower doesn't project an image of confidence. And are they factoring in the split last-gen/new-gen launch into claiming that they expect Syndicate to have a longer tail like Black Flag?

Top Bottom