• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft sales down (since WD was last yr), posts losses in first half of fiscal year.

Elios83

So much wrong in this post.
Wtf the fuck are you talking about
-WD was their most successful IP ever sales wise.
-The Crew was also successful.
-For Honor has a single player campaign
-The Division's marketing starts this month
-Their sales are over expectations
Let's not do that thing where we confuse personal feelings with facts.

Nah.
WD had a great opening because of the 2012, pre-downgrade hype they created.
But sales dropped like a rock after launch and had no legs at all and the general consensus is that the game is a disappointment. It has no chance of becoming an other Assassin's Creed for them which is probably what they hoped for.

The Crew successful?
It's a mediocre game with a 61 metacritic which as far I as know totally bombed in sales charts.

For Honor has a single player campaign but it will be focused on multiplayer.

Good if they're talking again about the Division after the downgrade and such a long silence. Quality of the game remains to be judged.

Their sales are over expectations? It depends on the expectations :D for the first half of the year they're losing money.

IMO it's clear that this console transition isn't going as well as they planned.They fucked up so much last year, now they need new great games, they can't keep relying on annual AC sequels to keep them afloat.

stuminus3

I'm no expert but I'm sure this is because they released a cheap Zombie U port on other platforms instead of building a brand new Wii U exclusive sequel. I could be wrong.

ViciousDS

Banned
Nah.
But sales dropped like a rock after launch and had no legs at all and the general consensus is that the game is a disappointment. It has no chance of becoming an other Assassin's Creed for them which is probably what they hoped for.

The Crew successful?
It's a mediocre game with a 61 metacritic which as far I as know totally bombed in sales charts.

Good if they're talking again the Division soon after the downgrade and such a long silence.

Their sales are over expectations? It depends on the expectations :D for the first half of the year they're losing money.

IMO it's clear that this console transition isn't going as well as they planned, They fucked up so much last year, now they need new great games, they can't keep relying on annual AC sequels to keep them afloat.

The crew had sold in 2 million as of last February....so doing bad? Plus sinking money on an expansion? Yes, its doing bad.

HA no.

Also look at last years Q2 compared to this year.......pretty fricken obvious why they lost money.

Saty

From the conference call: DD share for full games on PS4\XB1 still below 20%. Ubisoft's goal for the next 3-4 years is to have the share at 30% and above.

Syndicate first week was lower than Unity's. It's second week was higher than Unity. (comparison is the PS4+XB1 sales of each game, including digital).

kswiston

I'm no expert but I'm sure this is because they released a cheap Zombie U port on other platforms instead of building a brand new Wii U exclusive sequel. I could be wrong.

Yup. Ubisoft left 200-300k WW sales on the table by not releasing a big budget Wii U exclusive 3rd party title in 2015.

zQ8byfc.jpg

Adry9

After reading that I'd say we can expect more yearly open world franchises and multiplayer focused titles from Ubi. Not really promising.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Actually, they seem to think the opposite.

GRWUiEJ.png

For the purposes of this report, their big issue is no major 1H releases this year. Next year has the Division and Primal.

Honestly, we need the next quarter or the full year to see if they have a problem with their tentpole releases.

Wait a sec, is that implying that The Division is coming out before March 2016?

Interfectum

I'm surprised we've heard nothing about Watch Dogs 2 yet. I actually enjoyed the first one, especially the multiplayer.

kswiston

Actually, they seem to think the opposite.

GRWUiEJ.png

For the purposes of this report, their big issue is no major 1H releases this year. Next year has the Division and Primal.

Honestly, we need the next quarter or the full year to see if they have a problem with their tentpole releases.

This slide is sort of hilarious. Not only is it missing some games (Shadows of Mordor for instance), but it implies that other companies are incapable of pumping out those games yearly.

dex3108

I'm surprised we've heard nothing about Watch Dogs 2 yet. I actually enjoyed the first one, especially the multiplayer.

E3 2016. probably. Next year should be good for Ubisoft. Far Cry Primal, The Division, For Honor probably, new AC, maybe Ghost Recon Wildlands and few other unnanounced titles like Assassins Creed Chronicles Russia (India should be out this year i think).

Does anyone know how Ubisofts fiscal years work if they're saying Far Cry 4 and The Crew (2014 CALENDAR releases) are categorised in FY2015, and then The Division is categorises in Q3 FY2016. Surely the latter would be Q4 considering March (the release date) is in the final quarter of FY2016?

E3 2016. probably. Next year should be good for Ubisoft. Far Cry Primal, The Division, For Honor probably, new AC, maybe Ghost Recon Wildlands and few other unnanounced titles like Assassins Creed Chronicles Russia (India should be out this year i think).

And the AC movie, plus all the money from toys and merchandise, they are fine.

dex3108

And the AC movie, plus all the money from toys and merchandise, they are fine.

I know that AC3 and FC4 creative director works on smaller personal project, AC4 Game Director works on big unannounced project too, next AC could be written by Darby McDevitt that means good story, good dialogues and good ending at least. So there is potential for sure.

Granjinha

Nah.

The Crew successful?

Good if they're talking again about the Division after the downgrade and such a long silence. Quality of the game remains to be judged.

IMO it's clear that this console transition isn't going as well as they planned.They fucked up so much last year, now they need new great games, they can't keep relying on annual AC sequels to keep them afloat.

Wow.

You really don't know what you're talking about, eh?

I know that AC3 and FC4 creative director works on smaller personal project, AC4 Game Director works on big unannounced project too, next AC could be written by Darby McDevitt that means good story, good dialogues and good ending at least. So there is potential for sure.

I want to believe next year AC will be done by Darby and Ismail, that combo worked too well on Black Flag for Ubi not to try again with both leading the Montreal team.

Setsuna

Nah.

More than half of its total sales were after its first week

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Nah.

The Crew successful?

Again, you're making up facts completely to suit your narrative when they don't in anyway whatsoever represent what's actually happening.
-Watch Dogs was one of the top selling games consistently, and games in general are incredibly front loaded in terms of sales. It had a ton of hype aside from a downgrade controversy, which hurt hype more than it helped, it also had an enormous marketing campaign. . No one bought watch dogs to stick it to the people complaining about the visuals.
-The Crew sold over expectations, so yes it was successful. Otherwise they wouldn't bother with a graphical overhaul and expansion.
-We know nothing substantial enough about For Honor's SP to conclude that they'll be losing the SP crowd.
-The Division was playable at gamescom and has been at other major trade shows including e3. They haven't been silent at all, in fact we got new footage a couple weeks ago.
-Yes their sales are over expectations, which are clearly laid out in the OP. But fuck reading that right? /s
-No, it's actually clear that you have very little idea about what you're talking about and are making up facts to support our personal feelings about the company itself instead of actually reading the things in the OP.

The real test for Ubisoft isn't with AC, but with whether or not it can get into the Competative shooter scene with Rainbow Six, launch a successful new ip to annualise with The Division and improve on Watch Dogs enough to create a new cash-cow... These are all huge things to tackle, and Ubisoft's future is incredibly fragile when you look at it objectively.

dex3108

The real test for Ubisoft isn't with AC, but with whether or not it can get into the Competative shooter scene with Rainbow Six, launch a successful new ip to annualise with The Division and improve on Watch Dogs enough to create a new cash-cow... These are all huge things to tackle, and Ubisoft's future is incredibly fragile when you look at it objectively.

They already made first mistake pricing it 60$. They should go to 30$ range and sell cosmetics.

I want to believe next year AC will be done by Darby and Ismail, that combo worked too well on Black Flag for Ubi not to try again with both leading the Montreal team.

Oh i forgot that Maxime Béland from Ubisoft Toronto has new project (CD behind Splinter Cell Conviction and Blacklist) and Far Cry Blood Dragon Creative Director Dean Evans got his project approved few months ago.

So much wrong in this post.
Wtf the fuck are you talking about
-WD was their most successful IP ever sales wise.
-The Crew was also successful.
-For Honor has a single player campaign
-The Division's marketing starts this month
-Their sales are over expectations
Let's not do that thing where we confuse personal feelings with facts.

Really, if anything you're the the one getting all hot and bothered here.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I see where they're coming from though. A lot of people do let their own personal opinions color the general perception of companies like Ubisoft. I've seen people saying stuff like Ubisoft games are creatively bankrupt, never innovate, are failures which had no sales, etc etc because they only focus on stuff like AC Unity's polish and Watchdogs downgrade. They don't look at the bigger picture of how successful their games are overall, the new things they do actually try and innovations they implement, and the unique and really creative games they make (stuff like Grow Home, Rayman Legends, Valiant Hearts).

I think people can criticize while also acknowledging the positives. Watchdogs could certainly be seen as disappointing, but that doesn't make it a financial failure.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That's actually a typo. I'm just super tired of people passing off misinformation and/or information that they made up on the spot as they were typing a post as fact. Especially when the OP has plenty of info that directly contradicts their points. And also this:

I see where they're coming from though. A lot of people do let their own personal opinions color the general perception of companies like Ubisoft. I've seen people saying stuff like Ubisoft games are creatively bankrupt, never innovate, are failures which had no sales, etc etc because they only focus on stuff like AC Unity's polish and Watchdogs downgrade. They don't look at the bigger picture of how successful their games are overall, the new things they do actually try and innovations they implement, and the unique and really creative games they make (stuff like Grow Home, Rayman Legends, Valiant Hearts).

I think people can criticize while also acknowledging the positives. Watchdogs could certainly be seen as disappointing, but that doesn't make it a financial failure.

Holy shit; they're still getting more sales on the Wii than the Wii U. Does anywhere still even sell Wii games any more?!

Not sure if you're asking a rhetorical question, but at places like my local Targets, a good quarter of the Nintendo console sections are Wii games (Brawl's still thirty bucks new!), a quarter are WiiU games, and about 50% are for Ninty's handheld consoles.

Just Dance Wii games are featured prominently in this area.

Watch Dogs ended up being a disappointment and won't be a new AC for them, although they could fix it and make a great sequel in a similar way to the AC1->AC2 transition.

That's nonsensical. You just pointed out that AC itself overcame a lackluster first outing. There is no reason that WD can't do the same and enjoy similar success.

CassCade

I think some of gaf is quick to assumptions without reading the whole thing, they made more money than they projected for that fiscal year.

Ubisoft sales for the first half slid 57 percent to €207.3 million ($), but came in above targets.
Other than Grow Home, what else did they release in that fiscal year.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate isn't part of that fiscal year.

Good.

The same old formula in both Far Cry 3/4 and Assassin's Creed games is getting old quite fast.

The new Rainbow Six game is not having any single player and they put the Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia franchise on hold.

How anyone can agree with this method is beyond me.

DeaviL

Banned
I can't imagine Syndicate also not selling terribly.
It's being given away with console purchases where i live (on top of whatever bundle you buy)
and it's already being sold at 50% off at sales.

Have we seen any data yet?

CassCade

Good.

The same old formula in both Far Cry 3/4 and Assassin's Creed games is getting old quite fast.

The new Rainbow Six game is not having any single player and they put the Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia franchise on hold.

How anyone can agree with this method is beyond me.
The reason for the loss is unlike the previous year, they had watch dogs in that fiscal year, here they didn't have any AAA game. The loss doesn't include Assassin's Creed Syndicate.

It's fun seeing Crossing Eden back in Ubisoft threads.

Whether you like him or not. He is providing arguments based on facts.

Sure, people might not like Ubisoft for their games, business practice or similiar stuff. But there's a difference between hating them and ignore objective data.

Top Bottom